ADVERTISEMENT

Board of Trustees

They're just there for their own self interest. I take that back, MOST of them are there for their own self interest. I'm sure there's a few that really want to go in a new direction but when you're dealing with old quacks that have been on there since the 80's and 90's and plus all the politicians, it gets hard to bring any sort of change.

No. The hiring of Muschamp should've told you that. We take the cheap route. Win 7 or 8 and pacify the masses.

Reactions: Noonoo-33
They're just there for their own self interest. I take that back, MOST of them are there for their own self interest. I'm sure there's a few that really want to go in a new direction but when you're dealing with old quacks that have been on there since the 80's and 90's and plus all the politicians, it gets hard to bring any sort of change.

This. A bunch of judges and various appointees?? Do you think ANY of those people go to football games? Look at a picture of Clempson's BOT - they're a bunch of business and industry leaders and they all wear orange in any photos you see of them. And we get the politicos - we're the g$#@%& business school, right!?! Pisses me off to no end. Politics as usual.

This. A bunch of judges and various appointees?? Do you think ANY of those people go to football games? Look at a picture of Clempson's BOT - they're a bunch of business and industry leaders and they all wear orange in any photos you see of them. And we get the politicos - we're the g$#@%& business school, right!?! Pisses me off to no end. Politics as usual.
That's the curse of us having a campus within a stones throw of the state house and being in the capital. Clemson's BOT views Clemson's athletic success as a plus for their business. The difference between the two boards couldn't be more stark.

This x’s 100. At klempson, they are “all in”....here the bot is just present...only sometimes.

It is a fateful misfortune that the university is located in the state capital.

Reactions: joplin gamecock 1
I'll let you guys in on something. Where it says XX Judicial Circuit under the Board members' names, that doesn't mean that they are a judge. That represents the part of the state that they are from.

circuit.jpg

Breathe.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
It’s been a while since i took an actual look at our bot. It’s all blue hairs, judges, lawyers, governor appointees, the governor etc. The fans and alumni have allowed it but I think much of crappy results can be put at the feet of these people.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
I'll let you guys in on something. Where it XX Judicial Circuit, that doesn't mean that they are a judge. That represents the part of the state that they are from.

circuit.jpg

Breathe.
Lol. I had just figured that out. Deleted my post.

I'll let you guys in on something. Where it says XX Judicial Circuit under the Board members' names, that doesn't mean that they are a judge. That represents the part of the state that they are from.

circuit.jpg

Breathe.
They're still old and have been serving since the 90's. Didn't have a clue then, don't have a clue now.

Reactions: The Coup Nazi

circuit.jpg

Breathe.

Whoops, really? Well then let me shift my outrage - they should all be wearing garnet dammit!! Laughing

They've done well for the University and the campus, which is what they are the head of. The athletic department is only a small part of that.
Let's see who they hire for a new president. Another Bow tie or another Pastides.

Just pay attention to the totally underwhelming replacement that they bring in for President Pastides, and that should answer the OP's question.

Just pay attention to the totally underwhelming replacement that they bring in for President Pastides, and that should answer the OP's question.
Why do you assume the hire will be underwhelming? The last four presidents we have had have been excellent.

They've done well for the University and the campus, which is what they are the head of. The athletic department is only a small part of that.

That’s not why I give to the Gamecock club nor do I have season tickets to watch construction of the new law school building.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Why do you assume the hire will be underwhelming? The last four presidents we have had have been excellent.
Because they are under the mistaken impression that the University and, by extension, the BOT exist for the sole purpose of the athletic department, instead of the opposite.

Reactions: ddw1263
Because they are under the mistaken impression that the University and, by extension, the BOT exist for the sole purpose of the athletic department, instead of the opposite.
As a business major I see the benefit of a successful athletic department benefiting the entire university. You attract more students, those students have parents or extended family that will donate, more enrollment means more alumni base and that turns into more donations, you attract wealthy donors who might be willing to cut a check for a new building on campus. Everyone wants to be around success and winning, it really has no downsides.

As a business major I see the benefit of a successful athletic department benefiting the entire university. You attract more students, those students have parents or extended family that will donate, more enrollment means more alumni base and that turns into more donations, you attract wealthy donors who might be willing to cut a check for a new building on campus. Everyone wants to be around success and winning, it really has no downsides.
All true, but it does not take importance or priority over the University as a whole.

That’s true, but the better the athletic department does the more the school and surrounding community benefit. When athletics win the money comes in and it’s abke to spread it to other programs, ie build buildings, enhance school campus, get better support from surrounding community

All true, but it does not take importance or priority over the University as a whole.
Priority, no. However it is one of, if not the biggest revenue generator. It's one of those things you have to invest in heavily if you expect to see the returns you wish to see. Hate to say it but Clemson has more members in the IPTAY club than we do in the GC and we have twice the alumni base. My Carolina must be hurting because I get stuff from them all the time "give more, give more, please!". I get more notices from My Carolina than anyone else.

Priority, no. However it is one of, if not the biggest revenue generator. It's one of those things you have to invest in heavily if you expect to see the returns you wish to see. Hate to say it but Clemson has more members in the IPTAY club than we do in the GC and we have twice the alumni base. My Carolina must be hurting because I get stuff from them all the time "give more, give more, please!". I get more notices from My Carolina than anyone else.
For a poor state, our endowment is pretty good. With respect to My Carolina, I believe at one time we had one of the highest participation rates in the country....not sure if that is still true.

That’s true, but the better the athletic department does the more the school and surrounding community benefit. When athletics win the money comes in and it’s abke to spread it to other programs, ie build buildings, enhance school campus, get better support from surrounding community
All true.....which is why you see so much improvement in the athletic facilities since Palms became President.

For a poor state, our endowment is pretty good. With respect to My Carolina, I believe at one time we had one of the highest participation rates in the country....not sure if that is still true.
I'll admit I don't give near as much to them as I do the GCC.

That’s not why I give to the Gamecock club nor do I have season tickets to watch construction of the new law school building.
It's probably hard for some people to fathom, but academics do come before athletics.

They would send that stuff regardless.

Winning football benefits the whole community. Don’t believe me? Unfortunately klempson is a good example of this.
I didn't say it doesn't benefit the community, it's just not more important than academics.

I think the two go hand in hand actually. Take a school like Notre Dame for instance. Their diploma carries a ton of cache with it, but they are football crazy just as much. Turns out they have a pretty good MBB and WBB team too.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT