ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Bentley to Auburn? I just can't see it

Better not hitch that wagon to Malzhan. His buyout is huge, but they'll definitely pull the trigger on him next year if they don't win enough games.
I’ve heard on the Locked on the Gamecocks podcast that the Auburn board is freezing the salary money for Gus’s assistants, trying to get him to take a lesser buyout.

I can see the temptation to be the OC but there have to be better situations out there.
I would think if McClendon left for a HC job he would be a possible replacement from within.

I heard some reasonable logic though...he was a HS coach, then an analyst. Now as RB coach he makes like $350k which is probably the most money he’s ever made by far. OC at Auburn would double that...who wouldn’t jump at that chance.

I would think if McClendon left for a HC job he would be a possible replacement from within.

I heard some reasonable logic though...he was a HS coach, then an analyst. Now as RB coach he makes like $350k which is probably the most money he’s ever made by far. OC at Auburn would double that...who wouldn’t jump at that chance.
If it happened right now, The Man Behind the Curtain would be the front-runner.

The nepotism angle with Jake aside, BB would be a key loss. I believe he’s been the top recruiter last two years.

If he gets the chance, though, congrats and good luck.

Reactions: midline and Brace1

I wouldn’t blame him for taking the chance but it’s seems to be a very shaky situation in Auburn right now.

The Jake situation could influence Bentley to stay, but I say he’s gone, if offered the job. Bobby Bentley is a offensive coordinator and quarterback coach, he’s been that for 20 plus years, and I’m sure he’s itching to get back to doing it! This is that opportunity and it might be to much to resist!

No big deal in my opinion. He can be replaced with a quality coach. I always thought he was leaving after his boy left.

And it underscores for me why Auburn is not a good job. (See: Bowden, Terry and Tuberville, Tommy.)
Auburn is arguably the most in-bred Athletic Department in the SEC, and perhaps the entire country.

But can you imagine the possibility of getting paid $32MM as compensation for the humiliation of getting fired as the Auburn HC? It’s a poorly kept secret that Auburn wants him gone but they can’t afford it.....

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I haven’t been that impressed with our RB’s (none have seemed to really improve) so from a coaching standpoint this may not be that bad. I do think Bobby Bentley is a good coach though and someone our university needs to continue to have a good relationship with moving forward regardless if he leaves.

To me the big issues 1) how this impacts Jake. And that is 100% about if he stays or goes. I think if he stays this could help him out in a lot of ways as well. And 2) recruiting. if we can replace him with as good or better recruiter then we’ll be fine. I’d love to see Marcus have some influence on who will be hired for that position.

Reactions: gamecockblack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT