ADVERTISEMENT

Bobo Presser: "We want to run the ball. We want to play with a tight end and..."

QB under center or in shotgun? Who’s going to teach our offensive line how to run block when they can’t shove App State around? Where’s he going to get these tighteneds from, Incase he hasn’t looked over the roster we have one that I know of. I notice he didn’t mention anything about scoring touchdowns, doesn’t matter how you do it, just do it. Hope this offense of his produces.

QB under center or in shotgun? Who’s going to teach our offensive line how to run block when they can’t shove App State around? Where’s he going to get these tighteneds from, Incase he hasn’t looked over the roster we have one that I know of. I notice he didn’t mention anything about scoring touchdowns, doesn’t matter how you do it, just do it. Hope this offense of his produces.
IMO....that's the wrong direction. We need to spread the field with a mobile QB and run every option and trick play available. A "balanced" offense is what's been tried the past 4 seasons.

He also said that he would taylor the offense to what our guys can do. Not force it if we don't have the players to run the call

Reactions: NetworkX
IMO....that's the wrong direction. We need to spread the field with a mobile QB and run every option and trick play available. A "balanced" offense is what's been tried the past 4 seasons.
I’m afraid so too. The SEC is long past the days of the offense he’s about to try here. His offense won’t score enough points I’m afraid and you’re asking a lot of a defense these days to hold an SEC opponent to under 20pts week in and week out.

Reactions: howard13
Seems like a lot of fans on this board consider this a new direction when it's not. This is what South Carolina has been doing for decades. Doesn't sound like much of a change in philosophy at all. The difference, hopefully, will be that Bobo has a good track record of developing QBs.

That said, I agree with others that this isn't the change USC needs. Unless you can recruit like Bama, Georgia, LSU, etc. you better run a system that helps equalize the talent, and a traditional, run-first and play-action pass offense 'aint it.

Clemson understood that and has been committed to being different since the day they hired Tommy Bowden way back in 1999. He and Rich Rodriguez were among the founders of the modern spread-option. Even when they made a coaching change, they didn't give up on the idea of being wide open and innovative on offense which is why Dabo got promoted from within instead of hiring someone like Jim Grobe.

The closest USC has ever come to going all-in with being different was during the Spurrier era. But USC never really got the innovative, "fun and gun" Spurrier of the 90's which is why even he only produced 3-4 strong seasons out of 11.

If you're not intentionally different, you need a whole lot of Jadeveon Clowneys and Marcus Lattimores to actually become a title contender in the brutal SEC.

Last edited:
Plenty of tight ends on the roster..... New tight ends coming in

Reactions: GeoCocky
Exactly. The spread would have been much preferable.
Those of us in the know knew exactly what we were getting with Bobo. Which is why I was dead set against this hire. He’s not surprising me, his offense he is laying out is exactly what I expected.....boring and gives us no advantage. Sounds like the type of offense Muschamp loves though, which is why he’s here. You know the old saying, insanity is trying something over and over that never works.

Yea, all I can do is support him at this point- but very disappointed we’re not getting an innovative guy who understands how to do more with less. Spread the field, get matchup advantages in space, and utilize our strengths which has historically been at the skill positions. Haven’t really had a dominating line since the Carlen years, that I can remember. If we expect to control the LOS in our league, then I’m afraid it’s going to be tough sledding. But we’ll see, hopefully Bobo will figure it out, and adjust to our talent level.

I did like what he said about first needing to be fundamentally sound, then seeing what we are best suited to run. And if you are fundamentally sound, you should see success in any scheme basically (paraphrasing). And he said he flat told Hillinski he wasn't fundamentally sound & they need to fix that.

man hasn't even called his first play and people on here already saying his scheme won't work and is out dated.... lmao... do you honestly think that he is going to go into great detail on what he gonna run here??? he was just stating what his "base" offence will try to incorporate!! he said he will run what ever his personal allows him too... give the man a chance !!! smh

Run the ball!! Oh no!! Another version of the grind-it-out style of offense that never works for us. This is what I feared with Bobo. We don't have that talent. Even Alabama is not finding enough talent to play that way. Look at UGA - got crushed by LSU.

Bobo shares the same offensive philosophy as WM, Kirby, Richt. WM is now on his 6th OC and counting. If they don't draw up an innovative offense, we are in the same hole. No wonder WM is in heaven with this hire.

For us to taste even a modicum of success we have to look at what LSU did. LSU, with all that talent, middled on offense for so long, until Brady came along and changed things. That is what is sorely needed here.

Seems like a lot of fans on this board consider this a new direction when it's not. This is what South Carolina has been doing for decades. Doesn't sound like much of a change in philosophy at all. The difference, hopefully, will be that Bobo has a good track record of developing QBs.

That said, I agree with others that this isn't the change USC needs. Unless you can recruit like Bama, Georgia, LSU, etc. you better run a system that helps equalize the talent, and a traditional, run-first and play-action pass offense 'aint it.

Clemson understood that and has been committed to being different since the day they hired Tommy Bowden way back in 1999. He and Rich Rodriguez were among the founders of the modern spread-option. Even when they made a coaching change, they didn't give up on the idea of being wide open and innovative on offense which is why Dabo got promoted from within instead of hiring someone like Jim Grobe.

The closest USC has ever come to going all-in with being different was during the Spurrier era. But USC never really got the innovative, "fun and gun" Spurrier of the 90's which is why even he only produced 3-4 strong seasons out of 11.

If you're not intentionally different, you need a whole lot of Jadeveon Clowneys and Marcus Lattimores to actually become a title contender in the brutal SEC.

Very well said. On the MONEY!!

We at least need a touch of a Malzahn type of offense or spread formations to get the ball in space. Oh wait ... do we have any WRs who can catch and make people miss?

I really don't think he can run the UGA offense 100% of the time here. We don't have the RBs or the oline.

Seems like a lot of fans on this board consider this a new direction when it's not. This is what South Carolina has been doing for decades. Doesn't sound like much of a change in philosophy at all.
It's not. He even mentioned the pin and pull. He's banking on our OL staying healthier or being deeper than it has lately. I'm afraid our passing game might not exist. Even the tater OL would not be good enough if everybody knew they had no one to throw to.

We'll have to wait and see how things play out.

Today you had two guys at the table that have had success in the distant past under the guidance legendary head coaches and top notch recruits.

When either of them stepped outside of that realm, it hasn't been pretty. As a result, the "what we need do" analysis is met with some degree of pessimism.

It's obviously good to retain some aspects of what the best teams are doing. But if we're constantly looking in the same direction of the BAMAs, UGAs, etc., we have no real chance.

man hasn't even called his first play and people on here already saying his scheme won't work and is out dated.... lmao... do you honestly think that he is going to go into great detail on what he gonna run here??? he was just stating what his "base" offence will try to incorporate!! he said he will run what ever his personal allows him too... give the man a chance !!! smh
Well in all honesty we shouldn’t be having personel issues in year 5. The roster should be stacked but it’s not, there’s a ton of holes on the offensive side of the ball. This year it was injuries, next year it’ll be “oh we don’t have the talent/depth give us more time”. Eventually people get tired of excuses and expect results.

But USC never really got the innovative, "fun and gun" Spurrier of the 90's which is why even he only produced 3-4 strong seasons out of 11..
Not really. The main reason we had those 11 win seasons was because Spurrier integrated zone run concepts into his FnG offense and it became a hybrid offense. If Spurrier hadn't of changed his offense in early '10, we would have never won the SEC-E. And if Spurrier had done this earlier, we'd likely would of won more games.

Not really. The main reason we had those 11 win seasons was because Spurrier integrated zone run concepts into his FnG offense and it became a hybrid offense. If Spurrier hadn't of changed his offense in early '10, we would have never won the SEC-E. And if Spurrier had done this earlier, we'd likely would of won more games.
We wouldn't have won it anyway if the division had been worth a crap.

First of all, BoBo comes across as a very likeable guy. Sure hope Muschamp lets him talk some during the season. Much easier to take than Muschamp.

The offense will not change. "It is what it is." Same old slogan without any of the Spurrier.
That ain’t gonna happen. Muschamp is the one and only mouthpiece during the season. August will be the last time we hear anything about the offense from anyone besides Muschamp.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
That ain’t gonna happen. Muschamp is the one and only mouthpiece during the season. August will be the last time we hear anything about the offense from anyone besides Muschamp.
Three 1M assistants and they cannot speak for themselves. I suspect you are right, he can't change anything.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Exactly. The spread would have been much preferable.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...sive-coordinator-Will-Muschamp-140288938/Amp/

This article describes his base offense much differently than the angry mob crowd on this thread seems to interpret it.

”Bobo’s pro-style interpretation of the spread during his days in Athens was well-balanced, and he continued that philosophy at CSU while increasing tempo just a bit. For those wanting to see the tight ends more involved, South Carolina is getting that with its new hire. Bobo routinely uses multiple tight end sets — even bringing on a fullback at times — and likes to mix things up from going under center to being in the shotgun.“

so, now that we learn Bobo runs an innovative attack that is an altered interpretation of the spread, are all of you who were just berating him for not running that type of offense happy? Of course not! Just a lot of babbling on here from people who don’t know what they are talking about and want to live in an echo chamber of suck. The truth is none of us have any clue how Bobo will do here. It is easy to be discouraged at this point, but mouthing off about what kind of offense you all think he will run based off a couple of vague comments in a presser when you obviously haven't done any real research and cannot read an offensive set beyond how many RBs are on the field?... Just stop people.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...sive-coordinator-Will-Muschamp-140288938/Amp/

This article describes his base offense much differently than the angry mob crowd on this thread seems to interpret it.

”Bobo’s pro-style interpretation of the spread during his days in Athens was well-balanced, and he continued that philosophy at CSU while increasing tempo just a bit. For those wanting to see the tight ends more involved, South Carolina is getting that with its new hire. Bobo routinely uses multiple tight end sets — even bringing on a fullback at times — and likes to mix things up from going under center to being in the shotgun.

so, now that we learn Bobo runs an innovative attack that is an altered interpretation of the spread, are all of you who were just berating him for not running that type of offense happy? Of course not! Just a lot of babbling on here from people who don’t know what they are talking about and want to live in an echo chamber of suck. The truth is none of us have any clue how Bobo will do here. It is easy to be discouraged at this point, but mouthing off about what kind of offense you all think he will run based off a couple of vague comments in a presser when you obviously haven't done any real research and cannot read an offensive set beyond how many RBs are on the field?... Just stop people.
Say what? That comment resembles a Roper offense....extra TEs and lots of pulling guards on run plays. UGA proved could be defended with 6 players. If Bobo can't solve the reason why we cannot counter a run blitz or have options in place to check a defense, expect more losses to teams like App St. The only thing balanced will be getting crushed on run and pass plays.

”Bobo’s pro-style interpretation of the spread during his days in Athens was well-balanced, and he continued that philosophy at CSU while increasing tempo just a bit. For those wanting to see the tight ends more involved, South Carolina is getting that with its new hire. Bobo routinely uses multiple tight end sets — even bringing on a fullback at times — and likes to mix things up from going under center to being in the shotgun.“

You can't tell these folks ... You are waisting your breath.... I tried already but all the ex Offensive Coordinators on here know already that he's going to fail.... Good Post...

I'm starting to like Mike Bobo, he said Ryan needs to improve on his fundamentals....

“I’ve talked to Ryan about this and I don’t feel bad about saying it: He’s gotta get better fundamentally as a quarterback. And part of playing that position is being fundamentally sound. Doesn’t matter what style that you play, if you’re not fundamentally good at that position, you’re not going to have a chance to be successful at that position. So we’re gonna work hard on fundamentals and doing the little things right,” Bobo said.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...-football/article238438693.html#storylink=cpy

He also said that he would taylor the offense to what our guys can do. Not force it if we don't have the players to run the call
This is huge for me. Every time I've heard Muschamp or anyone else harp on "tempo" I've cringed because it's like we're trying to force a philosophy onto our offense, instead of crafting an offense around the types of skill players we have.

Reactions: NetworkX
probably has more to do with the Muschamp's track record with disappointing coordinators

Say what? That comment resembles a Roper offense....extra TEs and lots of pulling guards on run plays. UGA proved could be defended with 6 players. If Bobo can't solve the reason why we cannot counter a run blitz or have options in place to check a defense, expect more losses to teams like App St. The only thing balanced will be getting crushed on run and pass plays.
How exactly does that resemble a Roper offense? Again, someone Latching on to a comment about one personnel group... “wait he said he is going to play eleven guys on each play, doesn’t he know that is what we did last season!?! Idiots we are doomed to fail!!” Seriously save your “flameouts” for a point when we have something to actually get upset about. Bobo has said very clearly he will install his base packages first in the Spring, then determine what specifically we can run based off personnel early in Fall practice. Nobody knows what that will look like yet, but his base is an adaptable spread attack that he can manipulate between big personnel sets and more wide open passing attacks based on the players we have and what fits their abilities best. Jumping to conclusions about what that will look like or how successful it will be without even knowing what he plans to implement yet is completely ignorant.
Any hard line opinions about projected success or lack there of at this point are just fabricated nonsense derived from your preconceived notions (aka imagination) and butthurt feelings about how this PAST season went. I get that a lot of our snowflaky fans are triggered right now but some of you need to back away from the keyboard and take a damn breath! We will have plenty of time to whine about actual on field production next season as I am sure they will not score a TD on every drive and as soon as one drive goes poorly fans all pile in and bury the play caller.. At least wait until he has called few plays before we do that? Maybe? Crazy notion, I know...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT