ADVERTISEMENT

Braves agree to deal with Dallas Keuchel

Why were they refusing to deal with him before? Don't they like him?

Have no idea! Seems the Braves want everyone to give them a huge discount for some reason. I think their everyday lineup is good enough to win. It doesn't seem the GM feels that way.

It would have cost them their first draft pick if they signed him before the draft since he turned down a qualifying offer from the Astros in the offseason. Kimbrell too. The draft just wrapped up a couple days ago. After the draft they don't have to give up the pick. That's why Kimbrell and Kuechel both just came off the board really quick. I'm pretty sure that's how it went down. If I'm wrong on anything I'm sure someone will correct me.

It would have cost them their first draft pick if they signed him before the draft since he turned down a qualifying offer from the Astros in the offseason. Kimbrell too. The draft just wrapped up a couple days ago. After the draft they don't have to give up the pick. That's why Kimbrell and Kuechel both just came off the board really quick. I'm pretty sure that's how it went down. If I'm wrong on anything I'm sure someone will correct me.

That's correct. The Braves had a 1st round supplemental pick because their first round pick from last year did not sign. If they would have signed either Keuchel or Kimbrel before the draft, they would have lost that supplemental pick.

I don't understand signing a starter to a 1 year deal... By not signing Kimbrel the front office is basically saying they aren't in "win now" mode. You can't win the World Series with the bullpen we have right now, so why sign a starter to a 1 year deal when he probably won't resign at the end of the year. Makes no sense to me. The front office has to realize how bad our bullpen is right?

I don't understand signing a starter to a 1 year deal... By not signing Kimbrel the front office is basically saying they aren't in "win now" mode. You can't win the World Series with the bullpen we have right now, so why sign a starter to a 1 year deal when he probably won't resign at the end of the year. Makes no sense to me. The front office has to realize how bad our bullpen is right?

My only hope is they are looking to add an arm or two through trades

Look folks. The "front office" works for a corporation(Liberty Media) that doesn't give a crap about baseball. They promised when profits went up they would invest more into the team. They did not invest more. They are making money $$$ hand over fist with The Battery, the entertainment district next to the stadium plus attendance is excellent. So if you are lambasting the front office stop and put it where it belongs Liberty Media. They set the budget.

What are we gonna do about the bullpen?

I would not be surprised to see a guy like Sam Dyson included with Bumgaurner. The Braves obviously need bullpen help. I think one way is by bolstering the starting staff.

Soroka, Bumgaurner and Keuchel would be all you need to get through a series. Maybe throw Teheran once. Teheran and others could go to the pen. Think we will see more of Touissant the second half of the season along with Newcomb. Luke Jackson has been serviceable.

I could live the rest of my life fine without seeing Winkler, Blevins, or just about all others out of the pen pitching another day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT