ADVERTISEMENT

Bye Frank

Frank should take time away from 'molding men' and dedicate 15 minutes to free throws.
My experience is that shooting a large set of free throws uninterrupted is not a good indicator as to how a team will shoot in game situations. Many good programs have gone away from that and shoot free throws in an effort to simulate game situations. For example, shoot 1 free throw. If you make it, shoot another. If you miss, run 3/4 court and back, shoot a three pointer. Start the process over again with a group of 3/4 guys. Shooting 100 free throws in a row is not going to tell me how you are going to shoot when you are tired or when there is pressure on you. The threat of running at least puts a little pressure there to simulate a game situation. Teams rarely don't shoot well at the line because they didn't get enough practice. The issue many times is how they are practicing.

Last edited:
Without looking up the stats, I feel like we are getting offensively worse since the FF, and I’d go even further to say defensively as well. At some point we shouldn’t have to worry about being a young team, recruits don’t want to play at SC, trust FM and the process, and 1,000,000 other excuses. Just win.

Can't use that as an excuse for everything indefinitely.

Sure he can and he sure will.

That poster is living in the past, it's his style as evidenced by his earlier statement in this thread: "Recent Tennessee and Miss St football searches were similarly bad."

Tennessee = Pruitt, on a six game winning streak and beat us by 20 points. When's the last time we had a six game winning streak?

Mississippi State = Hired Mike Leach last week.

For a man who knows nothing, he sure likes to point it out a lot.

Reactions: ddw1263
Wait, wait Just in Tanner confirms fans by the millions telling him to keep Frank. Same fans that said Muschamp needs to stay. Also breaking the board has declared Tanner lifetime AD here. Keeping in tune going to places we have never been to before. Got to happen folks. Dumpster fire still burning strong.

200.gif

Read the prior part of the thread for context. It is not an excuse. Simply replying to the question of what could be worse.
I read it all and dismissed much of it. But I didn't mean to attribute anything erroneously. It still rankles me when people use the Horn card as a pretext not to do anything about Frank - presumably no matter what happens. The same thing applies to the Scott card to justify striving with Muschamp indefinitely.

Without looking up the stats, I feel like we are getting offensively worse since the FF, and I’d go even further to say defensively as well. At some point we shouldn’t have to worry about being a young team, recruits don’t want to play at SC, trust FM and the process, and 1,000,000 other excuses. Just win.

The Thornwell and PJ teams played fast. The final four team was one of the fastest offenses in the country. They got out on the break a lot and worked off a one cut, get to the rim concept on offense. And while they didn’t have shooters to spread the floor, they had 3 guys who couldn’t be guarded one on one in Thornwell, PJ and Silva. They also shot a ton of free throws. It was a credit to Martin that he let those guys play faster and ran less deliberate half court sets.

These last 3 years he’s been back to a much slower pace, although he picked it up again late last year as Lawson and Bryant became more familiar. But it’s been more heavy handed sets with with motion, multi screens, pins, and post ups. It worked, in part, because even at the end of a bad set, you could give the ball to Silva and he’d either get a good shot or get fouled.

Martin’s all about action to the basket. He wants the ball at the rim and he wants to get to the foul line. He recruits for the that. He doesn’t run stuff to get open 3s. His teams don’t shoot many 3s. Open 3s occur off help rotations, and a lot of times his guys will pass out of them.

I think he’s fine with teams playing fast if he trusts them, but fast to the rim, not pace and space like Bruce Pearl has adopted at Auburn. But because Martin doesn’t value shooting in recruiting, his offense has to be limited and relies too much on finishing at the rim and the refs to put his guys at the line. Right now, his guys can’t finish at the rim, they aren’t drawing fouls (and missing free throws when they do), and they are poor on the break and Martin has them playing slow in the half court.

The Thornwell and PJ teams played fast. The final four team was one of the fastest offenses in the country. They got out on the break a lot and worked off a one cut, get to the rim concept on offense. And while they didn’t have shooters to spread the floor, they had 3 guys who couldn’t be guarded one on one in Thornwell, PJ and Silva. They also shot a ton of free throws. It was a credit to Martin that he let those guys play faster and ran less deliberate half court sets.

These last 3 years he’s been back to a much slower pace, although he picked it up again late last year as Lawson and Bryant became more familiar. But it’s been more heavy handed sets with with motion, multi screens, pins, and post ups. It worked, in part, because even at the end of a bad set, you could give the ball to Silva and he’d either get a good shot or get fouled.

Martin’s all about action to the basket. He wants the ball at the rim and he wants to get to the foul line. He recruits for the that. He doesn’t run stuff to get open 3s. His teams don’t shoot many 3s. Open 3s occur off help rotations, and a lot of times his guys will pass out of them.

I think he’s fine with teams playing fast if he trusts them, but fast to the rim, not pace and space like Bruce Pearl has adopted at Auburn. But because Martin doesn’t value shooting in recruiting, his offense has to be limited and relies too much on finishing at the rim and the refs to put his guys at the line. Right now, his guys can’t finish at the rim, they aren’t drawing fouls (and missing free throws when they do), and they are poor on the break and Martin has them playing slow in the half court.

Truthfully I question Martin’s style of play. Yes defense is critical, but you’ve got to be able to score, and make free throws... but we don’t know how to do either of those consistently

Remember before the season frank said this is his best team.....that shows how much he knows about basketball!

Truthfully I question Martin’s style of play. Yes defense is critical, but you’ve got to be able to score, and make free throws... but we don’t know how to do either of those consistently

It’s brutal to watch. Martin has been here almost a decade, but it feels like a lifetime because even when they are winning the games are painful.

It’s 90s, early 2000s style, heavy coach control. Tight man defense with lots of hands and body impact (fouling). Martin jumps in a lot during the game and changes defensive rotations and handoffs, flips to zone, calls traps and press. He doesn’t just let them sit, he meddles. Tries to generate turnovers, and will risk foul trouble to do it.

On offense he hasn’t really embraced modern spacing ideas. Everything he does is about getting athletes in space, creating driving lanes to the rim or deep post match-ups. He wants shots are the rim or get to the foul line. But he doesn’t seem to understand that’s really hard to do if the defense doesn’t have to worry about guarding the 3 point line. Leads to way too many turnovers and long two point shots.

My experience is that shooting a large set of free throws uninterrupted is not a good indicator as to how a team will shoot in game situations. Many good programs have gone away from that and shoot free throws in an effort to simulate game situations. For example, shoot 1 free throw. If you make it, shoot another. If you miss, run 3/4 court and back, shoot a three pointer. Start the process over again with a group of 3/4 guys. Shooting 100 free throws in a row is not going to tell me how you are going to shoot when you are tired or when there is pressure on you. The threat of running at least puts a little pressure there to simulate a game situation. Teams rarely don't shoot well at the line because they didn't get enough practice. The issue many times is how they are practicing.
I'll take your word for it. I just know we suck at it.

It’s brutal to watch. Martin has been here almost a decade, but it feels like a lifetime because even when they are winning the games are painful.

It’s 90s, early 2000s style, heavy coach control. Tight man defense with lots of hands and body impact (fouling). Martin jumps in a lot during the game and changes defensive rotations and handoffs, flips to zone, calls traps and press. He doesn’t just let them sit, he meddles. Tries to generate turnovers, and will risk foul trouble to do it.

On offense he hasn’t really embraced modern spacing ideas. Everything he does is about getting athletes in space, creating driving lanes to the rim or deep post match-ups. He wants shots are the rim or get to the foul line. But he doesn’t seem to understand that’s really hard to do if the defense doesn’t have to worry about guarding the 3 point line. Leads to way too many turnovers and long two point shots.

IMHO, change the leader or change the leader. Adjust to today’s players if you want to remain coaching at a high level. He has forgotten more about basketball than I’ll ever know, but I can tell you that what I see game in and game out is a lack of ability to score

Reactions: ddw1263
Not really relevant to current situation,but talk of some of our coaches-Newton,Horn,etc- brings to mind good old Chuck Noe,pre-McGuire.His claim to fame,before shot clock,was the “Mongoose Offense.”Stand around,pass ball back and forth,lull defense to sleep-then strike like a mongoose.About as exciting as watching paint dry.Dean Smith credited Noe with inspiring his 4 corners system,a real sizzler.
Just another in long line of Gamecock coaching follies.
The first time I remember paying attention to SC men's basketball was the 68-69 season. I remember my father and my brother saying, "who is the Roche guy? I think that was the year we upset Duke and UNC. I went to the first game in the CC and it wasn't even finished.

Reactions: USC3307
The first time I remember paying attention to SC men's basketball was the 68-69 season. I remember my father and my brother saying, "who is the Roche guy? I think that was the year we upset Duke and UNC. I went to the first game in the CC and it wasn't even finished.
Yep,was there.USC freshman,saw Roche hit baseline jumper to win....believe vs Auburn.

Yep,was there.USC freshman,saw Roche hit baseline jumper to win....believe vs Auburn.
I saw us beat Auburn 52-50 in the first game at Carolina Coliseum. I believe Owens scored the winning bucket in that game off of a missed free throw. But that has been a long time ago.

I saw us beat Auburn 52-50 in the first game at Carolina Coliseum. I believe Owens scored the winning bucket in that game off of a missed free throw. But that has been a long time ago.
Pretty positive it was Roche with a last second jumper to win to usher in the great McGuire years.

Pretty positive it was Roche with a last second jumper to win to usher in the great McGuire years.
I'm getting old enough not to necessarily trust my memory of what happened right in front of me more than 50 years ago, but what's sticking in my mind is Owens getting a ball off the glass and throwing up a last-second shot to win it. Why that is my impression, I don't know. I was already incorrect on the score, which was actually 51-49, but I would have sworn Owens got the final points.

I'm getting old enough not to necessarily trust my memory of what happened right in front of me more than 50 years ago, but what's sticking in my mind is Owens getting a ball off the glass and throwing up a last-second shot to win it. Why that is my impression, I don't know. I was already incorrect on the score, which was actually 51-49, but I would have sworn Owens got the final points.
Hmm...I seem to remember Roche shooting from near right baseline.Of course,50+ year old memories questionably reliable.

Whoa! Just read a quote from an online Spurs and Feathers,Baseline Jesus first USC game was same one that opened coliseum.He said Roche hit a 22 foot jumper to win game.
I’m trusting Jesus on this one!

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT