ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone explain why we are not using Nick Muse and EJ Jenkins more?

Fish&Grits

Jun 28, 2011
Both have played well this year when they have been used. Muse is a big boy and hard to stop and EJ could be a VERY special receiver with his height.

Reactions: vacock#
Both have played well this year when they have been used. Muse is a big boy and hard to stop and EJ could be a VERY special receiver with his height.
Muse can’t get off the LOS quick enough vs any kind of decent pass rush or pressure. Notice the 5 yard turn arounds he has to run if it isn’t a designed play action to spring him.
EJ...I don’t know. Why was a 6’7 guy who supposedly runs a 4.4 at st. Francis in the first place? He looks Ok to me ...but first two steps are definitely TE speed...not WR Feet.

One problem with Muse is they have to leave him in to block on a lot of plays because of the OL. I think EJ came in somewhat out of shape and had to learn how to practice and sharpen his skills. BIG jump from St Frances to SEC. We’re seeing more of him so hopefully he’s turned the corner.

One problem with Muse is they have to leave him in to block on a lot of plays because of the OL. I think EJ came in somewhat out of shape and had to learn how to practice and sharpen his skills. BIG jump from St Frances to SEC. We’re seeing more of him so hopefully he’s turned the corner.
IIRC St Francis skipped the Covid season and didn’t play in the Spring, so he and J Brown hadn’t played in a game in almost 2 years.

You can watch their film and see both have very good qualities, but after not playing for two years then stepping up to SEC level ball it’s a big step.

EJ missed some practice time, now it looks like he’s improved to where he’ll be targeted more.

We have a winner that understands the problem.

You also have Bell who is an excellent tight end. Muse and EJ combined had more catches and passes intended for them than most teams yesterday. Most teams use only one tight end. That second position is usually a fourth wide out or a second running back with the third wide out on the line of scrimage. Look at the number of downs USC used yeaterday.

Where is Mullins at? He has speed and size and never sees the field. They also need to bench Joyner. We need to go after an elite speedster at WR.

Another one that got a couple of touches that can make a difference is Bell.
no doubt he's a stud talent. I think he should be our focal point for the pass game and let everything else ride off of him ala Sidney Rice, Alshon...even Bryan Edwards at times. Vann is a nice receiver....but he's not a #1 option. Bell is a mismatch in a lot of ways and in any offense.

Reactions: WingchunCock
We have some players on offense. If we could freaking run block it would open up the passing even more.
For you guys saying this group "can't" run block. Difference b/w last year and this year with the same guys..... (scheme). We even have a more mobile QB.
One similar problem is....we don't have guys who can get off the line and get in and out of routes quickly enough...against regular SEC pressures much less blitzes. Nobody's talking about it. It's a big part of our problem. Need D1/P5 type players on offense in order to do this.
Speaking of edge pass game talent-- we have Vann and Bell...and Doty who I think is a SEC player... and probably a package QB...just not too sure he's a full time QB at this point (and I'm discluding RBs in that pass game realm)...but that's it. These other guys.....they will put up numbers when we're down 24 points and playing agsinst 3rd string OR show 5-6 catches for 90 yards vs. teams with zero to crap defenses. That's where we are at. Muschump left that portion of the cupboard COMPLETELY dry. Bad Recruiting...and partly....he was a known lame duck coach. He could only get guys to come where it was their best option, but nowhere near Carolina's best option to take them (recruits and transfers).

Reactions: Lakecock1
We will have the same thread next week when some random receiver makes a play. Just swap out the names.

For you guys saying this group "can't" run block. Difference b/w last year and this year with the same guys..... (scheme). We even have a more mobile QB.
One similar problem is....we don't have guys who can get off the line and get in and out of routes quickly enough...against regular SEC pressures much less blitzes. Nobody's talking about it. It's a big part of our problem. Need D1/P5 type players on offense in order to do this.
Speaking of edge pass game talent-- we have Vann and Bell...and Doty who I think is a SEC player... and probably a package QB...just not too sure he's a full time QB at this point (and I'm discluding RBs in that pass game realm)...but that's it. These other guys.....they will put up numbers when we're down 24 points and playing agsinst 3rd string OR show 5-6 catches for 90 yards vs. teams with zero to crap defenses. That's where we are at. Muschump left that portion of the cupboard COMPLETELY dry. Bad Recruiting...and partly....he was a known lame duck coach. He could only get guys to come where it was their best option, but nowhere near Carolina's best option to take them (recruits and transfers).
Bingo. We always had 1 decent WR every year, the problem is we only had 1 decent WR every year.

Reactions: Lakecock1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT