ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina is no longer an elite baseball program... It took Ray Tanner 14 years to build

A National Championship and took Chad Holbroken 5 years to undo the program...

With that said, we can't look back on the hire, we can only look forward and hope Mark Kingston is the man to turn this program around...

I don't know if Mark Kingston is the right person or not, but only God knows and we have to do is support the players and coaching staff... And beat the crap out of CofC!
USC44

Reading this forum sometimes is maddening. Some on here say Holbrook left the program in a mess and that is the reason for the poor performance. Some of these same people swear by recruiting rankings as a measure of your program's quality. Many of these recruiting ranking services have our program in the top 20 over the last several years and in the top 10 in some of those years. If those rankings are accurate, shouldn't we have a roster full of talent? If so, how is it that you claim Holbrook left the program in a mess? Most of the players on this team are veterans and were on the team last year. That team was better than this year's team at this point in the schedule. So if he recruited talented players who played better last year than this year, how exactly is it Holbrook's fault?

I was not a fan of Holbrook, and for now I will take a "wait and see" attitude about Kingston. I just think there are a number of reasons for the lack of success and just saying it was the previous coach's fault is not accurate. He may not have been a good coach but he did better with the same players than what is being experienced so far this year.

There is no one easy answer or reason for the downfall. If it were, it would be simple to fix, but it's not.

Holbrook was given 5 years. Many fans have given Kingston 24 games. That seems fair. If not Kingston, who should Tanner have hired? Maybe Joe Maddon or Dave Roberts could do the job.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95

What? They went 0-2 in Omaha the year before, and calling being national runner-up a step back is really silly.
I'm not saying they regressed, I'm just saying when LSU makes the final two, they were always the last team standing until this past year.

It was silly to say we were regressing when we made the super regional and regional in Holbrook's first two years too, but we had a lot of demented fans doing just that.

Holbrook was given 5 years. Many fans have given Kingston 24 games. That seems fair. If not Kingston, who should Tanner have hired? Maybe Joe Maddon or Dave Roberts could do the job.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95

Well, let's just stick with Kingston for another 10 games and see what happens?? :D

Handing the team over to Chad Holbrook was the most epic monumental blunder in our baseball history! This move was akin to the Coca Cola company introducing the “New Coke” garbage in 1984!!!
A reminder that at the time RT hired CH as "head coach in waiting," it seemed like a good move. Only in retrospect was that proven to not be so.

The difference is coke saw their blunder and promptly corrected it. We let Holbrook stick around long enough to screw thugs up on a Horn level.

Annie The Bag Lady could have told Coke the same thing: 'Don't fix it if it ain't broke!' Dumb, dumb move by Coke. Mars is trying with all their might to screw up America's favorite candy bar since WWII, Snickers! They just won't quit messing with the recipe or the paper wrapping!

I'm not saying they regressed, I'm just saying when LSU makes the final two, they were always the last team standing until this past year.

It was silly to say we were regressing when we made the super regional and regional in Holbrook's first two years too, but we had a lot of demented fans doing just that.
That was not regression, but they immediately started declining after that. We are seeing first hand now how much damage Holbrook did to the program. Unbelievably there are posters still defending him.

That was not regression, but they immediately started declining after that. We are seeing first hand now how much damage Holbrook did to the program. Unbelievably there are posters still defending him.
Holbrook averaged top 7 recruiting classes as head coach. Don't know why he couldn't win more games. Perhaps Tolbert's comments after the Clemson series gives part of the reason. I felt Holbrook wasn't as demanding as Tanner. I don't feel that way about Kingston---we didn't see Blair after his Friday error, and there have been other examples.

Hopefully, there's time for Kingston to whip them into shape and make the post season. I believe the team is giving their all for him. I think their were times when they weren't doing that for Holbrook.

Holbrook averaged top 7 recruiting classes as head coach. Don't know why he couldn't win more games. Perhaps Tolbert's comments after the Clemson series gives part of the reason. I felt Holbrook wasn't as demanding as Tanner. I don't feel that way about Kingston---we didn't see Blair after his Friday error, and there have been other examples.

Hopefully, there's time for Kingston to whip them into shape and make the post season. I believe the team is giving their all for him. I think their were times when they weren't doing that for Holbrook.

Right now it's a mental part with the players and Kingston will have to whip them into shape harder...

Crack that whip
Give the past the slip
Step on a crack
Break your momma's back
When a problem comes along
You must whip it
Before the cream sits out too long
You must whip it
When something's going wrong
You must whip it
Now whip it
Into shape
Shape it up
Get straight
Go forward
Move ahead
Try to detect it
It's not too late
To whip it
Whip it good
When a good time turns around
You must whip it
You will never live it down
Unless you whip it
No one gets away
Until they whip it
I say whip it
Whip it good
I say whip it
Whip it good
Crack that whip
Give the past the slip
Step on a crack
Break your momma's back
When a problem comes along
You must whip it
Before the cream sits out too long
You must whip it
When something's going wrong
You must whip it
Now whip it
Into shape
Shape it up
Get straight
Go forward
Move ahead
Try to detect it
It's not too late
To whip it
Into shape
Shape it up
Get straight
Go forward
Move ahead
Try to detect it
It's not too late
To whip it
Whip it good

I don't know if he's the right guy or not. We'll know in a few years. As for now though, I'd feel a little better if our game strategy was more than just get up there and hit the ball... especially since we're not all that good at it.

A National Championship and took Chad Holbroken 5 years to undo the program...

With that said, we can't look back on the hire, we can only look forward and hope Mark Kingston is the man to turn this program around...

I don't know if Mark Kingston is the right person or not, but only God knows and we have to do is support the players and coaching staff... And beat the crap out of CofC!
Bobby Richardson put this program on the college baseball map long before Ray Tanner came along. Due credit to Coach Tanner but don't forget Coach Richardson. Many years of successful baseball under Richardson.

Bobby Richardson put this program on the college baseball map long before Ray Tanner came along. Due credit to Coach Tanner but don't forget Coach Richardson. Many years of successful baseball under Richardson.
I think Bobby Richardson coached about 5-6 years.
There were some good years under June Raines too.

Coach Richardson coached from 1970-76, with a 221–92–1 record and three NCAA Tournament appearances.. June coached from 1977-1996, with a 763–380–2 overall record and 11 NCAA appearances. June holds the most wins in our history.

Need to add in his CWS & finals appearances.

Coach Richardson coached from 1970-76, with a 221–92–1 record and three NCAA Tournament appearances.. June coached from 1977-1996, with a 763–380–2 overall record and 11 NCAA appearances. June holds the most wins in our history.
From what I've read, BR supported leaving the ACC too. Of course, Dietzel was his boss, and, unlike hoops, yard didn't suffer with independence.

From what I've read, BR supported leaving the ACC too. Of course, Dietzel was his boss, and, unlike hoops, yard didn't suffer with independence.
Dietzel had the good sense to talk Richardson into coming to Carolina and coaching. Dietzel built him a first class facility before most programs had theirs. Dietzel also had the good sense to get out of the way and let Richardson run it. The only thing he cautioned him on was to follow the NCAA rules.

Dietzel had the good sense to talk Richardson into coming to Carolina and coaching. Dietzel built him a first class facility before most programs had theirs. Dietzel also had the good sense to get out of the way and let Richardson run it. The only thing he cautioned him on was to follow the NCAA rules.
True that. I remember all the publicity about the opening of what later became Sarge Frye Field.

Sadly, Dietzel did not have the good sense to follow his own advice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT