ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs Bama Thread

I would have thought a Sellers/Sanders option would have been a no brainer on that 2 point conversion

Reactions: uscwatson21
Tough Loss. The team played great overall.

Sellers looks like he's starting to mature. Threw some great balls today in a very hostile environment.

The defense has been rock solid all year.

We wish still had Mitch Jeter on the roster.

The coaching staff gave us a chance to win this game today in a stadium where no road team wins.

Our offensive stat for the day:

Sellers was 22/30 for 206 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT.

Yep. Sellers is too underdeveloped as a passer for that touch pass needed on that play call.
Not only that, the game still has a lot of slowing down to do for the guy. Hopefully looking back, being at Bama helped

The myth that we're a poorly coached team is just that.

We soundly beat a UK team in their stadium who sits at 5-2 has since beat #5 Ole Miss and lost to #2 UGA by a point.

We gave one away to #13 LSU who is now 5-1 after defeating #9 Ole Miss.

We took #7 Alabama down to the wire in a stadium where they don't lose.

With the exception of UK, each of these teams have 4-5x the talent on the field as we do.

Beamer has been outcoaching his opponents this season and doing it with a brand new offense in tow.

The myth that we're a poorly coached team is just that.

We soundly beat a UK team in their stadium who sits at 5-2 has since beat #5 Ole Miss and lost to #2 UGA by a point.

We gave one away to #13 LSU who is now 5-1 after defeating #9 Ole Miss.

We took #7 Alabama down to the wire in a stadium where they don't lose.

With the exception of UK, each of these teams have 4-5x the talent on the field as we do.

Beamer has been outcoaching his opponents this season and doing it with a brand new offense in tow.

Haha some serious copium in this one.

LSU lost to a 1-3 Big 10 team. The SEC just isn't any good this year.

Care to elaborate?

Would you and Watson like to produce your own? :)

Below is the RPI which is purely based on computer rankings.

The SEC has 9 teams in the Top 20:
https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi

That help?
I have my opinion on strength of conference based on my own eye test. I rarely watch any of the talking head shows on ESPN or elsewhere because I dont need their opinion when forming my own. Yeah ranking is great but it tells us nothing more than what they think a pecking order is. Do the voters watch as much football as I do? I seriously doubt it. Personally, as if it should matter to anyone, I think the SEC is down this year. Obviously you and the pollsters disagree. Now if you want to spout computer rankings, yeah I can respect that more. That said, it's still speculation. One thing is certain, the polls will change and they will likely be more accurate by the time we get to bowl season and the SEC will be well represented as usual. That said, I for one will not be surprised to see the SEC turn in an overall losing record in the postseason this year. We will see. You have gotten my curiosity up as what others think though.

Last edited:
I have my opinion on strength of conference based on my own eye test. I rarely watch any of the talking head shows on ESPN or elsewhere because I dont need their opinion when forming my own. Yeah ranking is great but it tells us nothing more than what they think a pecking order is. Do the voters watch as much football as I do? I seriously doubt it. Personally, as if it should matter to anyone, I think the SEC is down this year. Obviously you and the pollsters disagree. Now if you want to spout computer rankings, yeah I can respect that more. That said, it's still speculation. One thing is certain, the polls will change and they will likely be more accurate by the time we get to bowl season. That said, I for one will not be surprised to see the SEC turn in an overall losing record in the postseason this year. We will see. You have gotten my curiosity up as what others think though.
Isn't the AP Poll like 80 Sports Writers and Broadcasters who follow College Football religiously? Do you believe you watch more football than all of them put together? That doesn't make much sense.

Regardless, if you combine the AP Poll with the Computer RPI, it would have to be as close to accurate as possible. As of this week, they look pretty much the same.

Isn't the AP Poll like 80 Sports Writers and Broadcasters who follow College Football religiously? Do you believe you watch more football than all of them put together? That doesn't make much sense.

Regardless, if you combine the AP Poll with the Computer RPI, it would have to be as close to accurate as possible. As of this week, they look pretty much the same.
Religiously? I dont know about that. That is not what I have been lead to believe... in the AP anyway.

You got me saying I watch more football than all the pollsters combined out of my post? Man I like football but not that much. Do I trust my own eyes more than that of any one of 80 sport writers? Yeah. Do I trust them all collectively if they are telling me something different than my own eyes tell me? No. I would hope that should kinda go without saying for anyone.

Religiously? I dont know about that. That is not what I have been lead to believe... in the AP anyway.

You got me saying I watch more football than all the pollsters combined out of my post? Man I like football but not that much. Do I trust my own eyes more than that of any one of 80 sport writers? Yeah. Do I trust them all collectively if they are telling me something different than my own eyes tell me? No. I would hope that should kinda go without saying for anyone.
Based on your eye test, what's the issue with the current polls and computer models since they say close to the same thing?

Based on your eye test, what's the issue with the current polls and computer models since they say close to the same thing?
I dont have a problem with the rankings. They are gonna rank teams as they see fit. They are gonna be what they are gonna be. But the fact they consistently change speaks to them being less than accurate so if someone want to use polls to prove a point on how good a team or a conference is... meh. I mean look at the ACC. I cant count the number of times where they have more teams dropping out of the polls by the end of the season than have staying in.
All I was saying is the SEC doesn't look as strong this year based on the SEC games I've seen... which is quite a few. At the same time, I've also seen some teams playing pretty good ball in other conferences, The pollsters can and will keep voting for the SEC and that's fine but from what I see, no way we deserve the praise we are getting this year. No team sticks out as better this year over last year to me... other than maybe Vandy and perhaps a case be made for aTm. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscwatson21
I dont have a problem with the rankings. They are gonna rank teams as they see fit. They are gonna be what they are gonna be. But the fact they consistently change speaks to them being less than accurate so if someone want to use polls to prove a point on how good a team or a conference is... meh. I mean look at the ACC. I cant count the number of times where they have more teams dropping out of the polls by the end of the season than have staying in.
All I was saying is the SEC doesn't look as strong this year based on the SEC games I've seen... which is quite a few. At the same time, I've also seen some teams playing pretty good ball in other conferences, The pollsters can and will keep voting for the SEC and that's fine but from what I see, no way we deserve the praise we are getting this year. No team sticks out as better this year over last year to me... other than maybe Vandy and perhaps a case be made for aTm. Just my opinion.

But people say this every year. King Ward said the same thing about this time last season, if I recall correctly.

Yes, Michigan had a magical year and snuck by Bama in the end.

However, the SEC still had 5 teams in the Top 10 and 9 in the Top 20, EOY.

And if Bama and Michigan had played 10 times, BAMA probably takes 7 or 8 of those contests.

The SEC is the best conference in the nation by a considerable margin -- especially with UT and OU now in the mix.

I'm not sure how anyone could make an argument otherwise with the human and computer polls currently in sync.

Reactions: GoCocksFight2021
But people say this every year. King Ward said the same thing about this time last season, if I recall correctly.

Yes, Michigan had a magical year and snuck by Bama in the end.

However, the SEC still had 5 teams in the Top 10 and 9 in the Top 20, EOY.

And if Bama and Michigan had played 10 times, BAMA probably takes 7 or 8 of those contests.

The SEC is the best conference in the nation by a considerable margin -- especially with UT and OU now in the mix.

I'm not sure how anyone could make an argument otherwise with the human and computer polls currently in sync.
Im not saying we aren't the best league in the land. What I am sayings is we have a larger number of beatable teams this year on any given Saturday than last year or the year before or the year before that. If I'm a Texas or Ok fan, I'm thinking we picked a good year to join the SEC. Oddly enough, it was no different the year Mizzou and aTm joined. Again, we will see how it plays out. I am not pulling for the SEC to lose games, in fact I have always been on record as a homer. I see what I see though even without the backing of computers and sports writers.

Reactions: Ward Jr
Im not saying we aren't the best league in the land. What I am sayings is we have a larger number of beatable teams this year on any given Saturday than last year or the year before or the year before that. If I'm a Texas or Ok fan, I'm thinking we picked a good year to join the SEC. Oddly enough, it was no different the year Mizzou and aTm joined. Again, we will see how it plays out. I am not pulling for the SEC to lose games, in fact I have always been on record as a homer. I see what I see though even without the backing of computers and sports writers.

Gotcha. I was just a little confused as to why you said I put too much emphasis on the media. Anyone who reads any of my content knows I've been pretty anti-establishment from the get-go.

As Paleo mentioned above, you have 80 or so guys watching these games in studio and throughout the country each and every weekend to report on them with AP. That's a large sample size unless you believe there's corruption. And even if so, when you couple this with the computer models, I'm not sure how one can improve on accuracy beyond just pure conjecture.

Gotcha. I was just a little confused as to why you said I put too much emphasis on the media. Anyone who reads any of my content knows I've been pretty anti-establishment from the get-go.

As Paleo mentioned above, you have 80 or so guys watching these games in studio and throughout the country each and every weekend to report on them with AP. That's a large sample size unless you believe there's corruption. And even if so, when you couple this with the computer models, I'm not sure how one can improve on accuracy beyond just pure conjecture.
Yeah I dont believe any corruption is there. Lazy voters, yes. Political sometimes, yes. Not all.
I will certainly have more respect when the poll leading up to the playoff starts. Kinda goes without saying tho none are perfect.

Because the moment the polls aren't in your favor, you're going to pretend they don't matter.

Whether you believe the rankings or not, there is no denying the talent disparity. Unless you are going to claim all the recruiting rankings are wrong too.

What is unbelievable is the job that Clark Lea is doing a Vandy. The Georgia St loss is inexplicable, but to beat VT, Bama, and Kentucky already this year and take Mizzou to double overtime, all with Vandy level talent, is impressive.

Whether you believe the rankings or not, there is no denying the talent disparity. Unless you are going to claim all the recruiting rankings are wrong too.

What is unbelievable is the job that Clark Lea is doing a Vandy. The Georgia St loss is inexplicable, but to beat VT, Bama, and Kentucky already this year and take Mizzou to double overtime, all with Vandy level talent, is impressive.

So Beamer can only beat teams he had more talent than?

Isn’t that the quintessential reason he’s not good enough to be the coach?

Yeah I dont believe any corruption is there. Lazy voters, yes. Political sometimes, yes. Not all.
I will certainly have more respect when the poll leading up to the playoff starts. Kinda goes without saying tho none are perfect.
EDIT- I'll have more respect for the playoff poll or whatever they will call it only because it doesn't use preseason polls and assumptions as it's base. But IMO the playoff committee has shown in the past they will adjust seeding to their liking if they dont like the match-ups the teams earned. And i wont be surprised to see them find a way to reduce the number of at-large teams from one conference if they feel there are too many of them in. I can only hope teams are allowed to get what they earn without interference. If they have to justify something, they are probably screwing up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lurker123
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT