ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs Bama Thread

What is unbelievable is the job that Clark Lea is doing a Vandy. The Georgia St loss is inexplicable, but to beat VT, Bama, and Kentucky already this year and take Mizzou to double overtime, all with Vandy level talent, is impressive.

An impressive bit of coaching there.

Reactions: uscwatson21
EDIT- I'll have more respect for the playoff poll or whatever they will call it only because it doesn't use preseason polls and assumptions as it's base. But IMO the playoff committee has shown in the past they will adjust seeding to their liking if they dont like the match-ups the teams earned. And i wont be surprised to see them find a way to reduce the number of at-large teams from one conference if they feel there are too many of them in. I can only hope teams are allowed to get what they earn without interference. If they have to justify something, they are probably screwing up.

The whole reason we have a playoff is because people didn't feel the pollsters got it right...

EDIT- I'll have more respect for the playoff poll or whatever they will call it only because it doesn't use preseason polls and assumptions as it's base. But IMO the playoff committee has shown in the past they will adjust seeding to their liking if they dont like the match-ups the teams earned. And i wont be surprised to see them find a way to reduce the number of at-large teams from one conference if they feel there are too many of them in. I can only hope teams are allowed to get what they earn without interference. If they have to justify something, they are probably screwing up.

Teams obviously only play 12 games a year so you have to use a basis such as previous performance, interconference matchups, and recruiting figures to form a relevant base.

You have media types following different conferences all over the country who vote and they take an average. Then when you combine with the computer models, that's a very high level of statistical relevance.

Last edited:
Teams obviously only play 12 games a year so you have to use a basis such as previous performance, interconference matchups, and recruiting figures to form a relevant base.

You have media types following different conferences all over the country who vote and they take an average. Then when you combine with the computer models, that's a very high level of statistical relevance.
I see polls established before the season starts and going into the first month of the season as for entertainment only. And hey, nothing wrong with being entertained. I would put no value on them tho.

I see polls established before the season starts and going into the first month of the season as for entertainment only. And hey, nothing wrong with being entertained. I would put no value on them tho.

Dunno. On top of everything else discussed, Vegas leans heavily on power rankings even at the beginning of the year and they aren't in the business of losing money.

What would you put value on if not this system? It's been scrutinized and tweaked heavily by "numbers guys" for close to a century and computer analysis for over 30 years.

Last edited:
Dunno. On top of everything else discussed, Vegas leans heavily on power rankings even at the beginning of the year and they aren't in the business of losing money.

What would you put value on if not this system? It's been scrutinized and tweaked heavily by "numbers guys" for close to a century and computer analysis for over 30 years.
There is only one system that doesn't involve opinions and we dont use it and many on here for whatever reason dont want to use it... that I have learned. I have in the past suggested a system that would involve every single D1 team in the country having the opportunity to win it all... where everything is won on the field. No rewards based on BS. No second chances if you stumbled at any point in the season. I had it nailed down to how to include G5s with P5. I would imagine it would be even easier to devise a playoff system since the power 5 is now what power 4 and so on? But Im not going to repeat myself and offer that again. Been there done that. Most people like what we have and so be it. Not me.

In other words, I am for letting teams earn what they get. No gifts. No subjective opinions. Let the play on the field determine your fate. 100% of the time. D2 can do it. The NFL can do it. High School can do it. Freaking rec ball can do it. But D1 college cant? That is BS and that is the system we have. That is why I look at it as entertainment and nothing more. Now the larger playoff system we will have this year is an improvement but it's still too subjective for my liking. Better tho

Last edited:
Reactions: Ward Jr
There is only one system that doesn't involve opinions and we dont use it and many on here for whatever reason dont want to use it... that I have learned. I have in the past suggested a system that would involve every single D1 team in the country having the opportunity to win it all... where everything is won on the field. No rewards based on BS. No second chances if you stumbled at any point in the season. I had it nailed down to how to include G5s with P5. I would imagine it would be even easier to devise a playoff system since the power 5 is now what power 4 and so on? But Im not going to repeat myself and offer that again. Been there done that. Most people like what we have and so be it. Not me.

In other words, I am for letting teams earn what they get. No gifts. No subjective opinions. Let the play on the field determine your fate. 100% of the time. D2 can do it. The NFL can do it. High School can do it. Freaking rec ball can do it. But D1 college cant? That is BS and that is the system we have. That is why I look at it as entertainment and nothing more. Now the larger playoff system we will have this year is an improvement but it's still too subjective for my liking. Better tho

Cool. If you ever post again, I'd like to see that because I love analytics and honestly can't think of a better system given the 12-game structure limitation.

Reactions: bucketdad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT