ADVERTISEMENT

Caslen, Taner, BoT & the dumpster fire that has become USC...

jjjpppbbb

Jun 10, 2010
Ever hear the phrase: "You will know the tree by its fruit"? This is what you get when you shove a politically manipulated candidate into a position of power thru unjust means. He operates under the rules by which he was put into power. He knows who is signing the checks. Caslen is playing by the rules with which he was put into power. He threw RT under the bus, lied about it and now has to come clean. He has treated both our AD and HC very unfairly and has handled the media with expert clumsiness. Only in SC. Whether or not you like RT or CWM doesn't matter. No one should get treated like this. Its unprofessional, immature and dirty.

We have an inferiority complex and its clouding our ability to have good judgement. This has made the season even worse and it gives us a bad look. If CWM does leave, what decent coach in his right mind would want to come here? This is a complete sh*t show.

Everyone involved: coach, AD, BOT, President, just needs to shut their mouths.

Here's some more scripture for you: out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. I think it's become CYA by pointing the finger.

I'm not ready to throw out Caslen yet, but I think this quote was dumb, and because of the messed up search process it's only going to take one mistake for everyone to jump all over him. Even if his statement was misquoted or out of context, he put himself in that position and we took another loss in the media game. Would've been better to shut your mouth.

I think they are at the point where you have to keep Muschamp in order to save recruiting. The Keystone Cops are throwing gas on a already burning fire. I'm at the point where I fell sorry for Muschamp. Make him clean house and bring in a seasoned OC. I don't think there is another Spurrier out there who can salvage this mess.

Reactions: 76MACC
It's too late for all of that. Caslen is new. I'll forgive this misstep. But he and the BOT need to come together and have a plan of action.

First, Ray Tanner has to be moved to fund raising and a new AD hired. Preferably, someone without ties to SC.

Second, Will Muschamp needs to be relieved of duties. Whether we do it now or later does not matter. The difference in cost is small relative to the damage of doing nothing.

Then a decision has to be made about the head coach and the staff. Do we want an interim for one (1) year or launch a search this year. If we go the interim route I would think in terms of someone like Bobby Bentley. Pay him $2 million for one year and then re-evaluate next year. That gives the new AD and Caslen more time to assimilate.

Bentley could probably minimize the damage to recruiting and audition for the job full time. Essentially, this is what Clemson did when they hired Dabo.

It seems like the simplest and least controversial way to work our way through this without creating too many more problems.

And for pete's sake - everyone keep your mouth shut. (Caslen and the BOT)

It's too late for all of that. Caslen is new. I'll forgive this misstep. But he and the BOT need to come together and have a plan of action.

First, Ray Tanner has to be moved to fund raising and a new AD hired. Preferably, someone without ties to SC.

Second, Will Muschamp needs to be relieved of duties. Whether we do it now or later does not matter. The difference in cost is small relative to the damage of doing nothing.

Then a decision has to be made about the head coach and the staff. Do we want an interim for one (1) year or launch a search this year. If we go the interim route I would think in terms of someone like Bobby Bentley. Pay him $2 million for one year and then re-evaluate next year. That gives the new AD and Caslen more time to assimilate.

Bentley could probably minimize the damage to recruiting and audition for the job full time. Essentially, this is what Clemson did when they hired Dabo.

It seems like the simplest and least controversial way to work our way through this without creating too many more problems.

There's an old management saying....Fish rots from the head down. Very accurate. The rot started with Pastides appointing Tanner and from there it's been proven at every level. A bunch of "feeling good" management decisions (appointments of Tanner, Muschamp, and McClendon) have run squarely into the " I don't care how you feel, give me results" style of management. I'll wait for results before I lump Caslen in with the rest of them.

Ever hear the phrase: "You will know the tree by its fruit"? This is what you get when you shove a politically manipulated candidate into a position of power thru unjust means. He operates under the rules by which he was put into power. He knows who is signing the checks. Caslen is playing by the rules with which he was put into power. He threw RT under the bus, lied about it and now has to come clean. He has treated both our AD and HC very unfairly and has handled the media with expert clumsiness. Only in SC. Whether or not you like RT or CWM doesn't matter. No one should get treated like this. Its unprofessional, immature and dirty.

We have an inferiority complex and its clouding our ability to have good judgement. This has made the season even worse and it gives us a bad look. If CWM does leave, what decent coach in his right mind would want to come here? This is a complete sh*t show.

The 'matters' of late at USC are not like elections of Board members at the country club. Sometimes, in the real world, you have to get slick, sly and nasty.

I'd rather Ray go back to coach baseball. Let him keep his $1m salary and get out of the headaches, he should volunteer for that.

General rule is 6 years for football turnaround. I think Muschamp is going to get a chance to hire a new OC, and it probably won't go very well unless we just straight up buy someone. Top OC's won't want to hitch to this ride with all the uncertainty. The trajectory of the turnaround trailed off heavy this year, but I've heard they're going to give CWM next year. The bar is already set so low for the Clemson game, getting blown out and having no one in the stands is not going to change the current situation much, so I don't see much changing between now and the end of the year. Everyone knows things are bad, and if they wanted to make a change they would've done it by now. The "end of the year evaluation" is dumb, you should be constantly evaluating and always looking to improve our situation, even at the expense of a coach's comfort.

Interesting on the idea of Bentley, hadn't considered it, but I could think of worse. He'd be the safest pick currently on staff for interim. It could be a real possibility next year, if things continue the current trajectory and we want to get ahead and look, but he's not worth $2m to hire as an interim if you have time to go find higher quality at $4-6m.

I agree on the AD preferably having no ties, but I think Edwards should be interviewed.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
The 'matters' of late at USC are not like elections of Board members at the country club. Sometimes, in the real world, you have to get slick, sly and nasty.
And this strategy "in the real world" will always bear its fruit out. I give your strategy and your own organization and, likewise, give someone who treats others with integrity, dignity and principle their own organization and, as the years bear out, yours will rot and crumble and the other will flourish.

Those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it. See UT Knoxville, for example.

Caslen is going to be 66 later this month; he doesn't have time for on-the-job training. He was unqualified for the position and these missteps exemplify that lack of competence.

Normally, I would be inclined to give him 6 years - and at the beginning of this year I would have argued with anyone that he needs 2 more years. But things took a bad turn at the end of last year and it spilled over to this year. Defense has played better most of the year but Muschamp has admitted he took over calling the defense after the Mizzo game. So where does that leave Travaris Robinson?

In circumstances like this it makes little sense to try and fix the problem when the sentiment is so strongly against Muschamp. Even if he could hire a top OC (Kendal Briles, Matt Canada, Joe Brady) would anything really change? I honestly don't think it would.

Three weeks ago I would have been outraged by the suggestion that we fire a coach before the end of the season. Now, I think it is almost (not quite, but close) necessary for the long term health of the program.

Caslen is going to be 66 later this month; he doesn't have time for on-the-job training. He was unqualified for the position and these missteps exemplify that lack of competence.

I didn't realize he was my age. ;-)

He's in a lot better shape than I am too.

I guess what I was saying is that we can't possibly fire all 3 of them at once. I would say let's see what kind of AD hire we can make and then do something about the football team. If it all falls apart then ... damn .... I just don't know what to think.

You guys are acting like this is Caslen's first rodeo. It isn't. He has been at one of the most prestigious universities in the nation--West Point--which, by the way, is an institution directly connected to one of the most thoroughly politically convoluted and difficult places in the World--The US Army. If you think the man hasn't calculated his actions, then you are a fool who can't see the bigger picture. It's basically telling Muschamp to get your affairs in order or get out, showing the coaching community that a vacancy may be imminent, while also telling the fan base he is aware of the problems in the athletic department. In addition, it should serve as an unofficial warning to Tanner of who is in the driver's seat. Perception is sometimes more important than reality. If he can create the perception by Tanner and Muschamp that he is willing to part ways with them, it will force them to either work harder, or find new employment. Honestly, the national media isn't as concerned with what is going on here as many of you think. Plus, society's memory is short; they would forget what is happening before next season because some other idiot in the sports industry will do something stupid. All the while, Caslen will have time to examine coaching options.

He was 100% qualified. He was a decorated Military man, and he worked at West Point--a prestigious university. I don't think people understand what it takes to rise to his level in the military, or what those men have to be in charge of. After the military, being a university president is probably like kindergarten. (Not really, I was using hyperbole for effect)

Reactions: NetworkX
You guys are acting like this is Caslen's first rodeo. It isn't. He has been at one of the most prestigious universities in the nation--West Point--which, by the way, is an institution directly connected to one of the most thoroughly politically convoluted and difficult places in the World--The US Army. If you think the man hasn't calculated his actions, then you are a fool who can't see the bigger picture. It's basically telling Muschamp to get your affairs in order or get out, showing the coaching community that a vacancy may be imminent, while also telling the fan base he is aware of the problems in the athletic department. In addition, it should serve as an unofficial warning to Tanner of who is in the driver's seat. Perception is sometimes more important than reality. If he can create the perception by Tanner and Muschamp that he is willing to part ways with them, it will force them to either work harder, or find new employment. Honestly, the national media isn't as concerned with what is going on here as many of you think. Plus, society's memory is short; they would forget what is happening before next season because some other idiot in the sports industry will do something stupid. All the while, Caslen will have time to examine coaching options.
The perception he has created by making the statement about Tanner contacting FSU and then trying to say he did not say it when it is on tape is at worst incompetence and at best inexperience.

I find it all very amusing. But what else would you expect from the administrative wing at USC? I dont care who the players are. Let's see, the powers that be at USC decide to offer their head coaching job to a coach that couldnt win big at Florida, which is a much easier job in the SEC than USC. Then the same geniuses mold a contract for him that they cant afford to pay off when things go sideways when any school that takes football seriously would be making a change as fast as they could. It's just par for the course. A comedy of errors all around.

The perception he has created by making the statement about Tanner contacting FSU and then trying to say he did not say it when it is on tape is at worst incompetence and at best inexperience.

The only people paying attention to it are those who care about USC; the national media isn't reporting it, so the rest of the country doesn't know and doesn't care.

The only people paying attention to it are those who care about USC; the national media isn't reporting it, so the rest of the country doesn't know and doesn't care.
And those people's perceptions are the ones that should matter to the University.

I just mean it wouldn't affect our coaching search or anything because it isn't big news.
I think all of those things come up in an interview. Especially things that would show poor support and perhaps incompetence by a prospective coach's boss.

Normally, I would be inclined to give him 6 years - and at the beginning of this year I would have argued with anyone that he needs 2 more years. But things took a bad turn at the end of last year and it spilled over to this year. Defense has played better most of the year but Muschamp has admitted he took over calling the defense after the Mizzo game. So where does that leave Travaris Robinson?

In circumstances like this it makes little sense to try and fix the problem when the sentiment is so strongly against Muschamp. Even if he could hire a top OC (Kendal Briles, Matt Canada, Joe Brady) would anything really change? I honestly don't think it would.

Three weeks ago I would have been outraged by the suggestion that we fire a coach before the end of the season. Now, I think it is almost (not quite, but close) necessary for the long term health of the program.

If you had someone you could hire right now that would turn the program around, even if it was expensive, I think you take that opportunity no doubt. The economics to pay Muschamp out and hire a successful coach make sense if we can grow top line revenue.

But you can't rush into something right now, the cost of messing up the next hire is worse than sticking with a ***tty coach and program. It would take forever to recover from that.

There's probably an argument to be made that sticking with Muschamp through next year helps you in the next coaching cycle, you can market admin and BOT loyalty to the coach. When we say we're giving you six years, we're giving you six years. If you don't cut it, then you're out. If you do well, you're gonna get paid.

We should be putting feelers out there (and not letting any of that info leak to the press!!!), which is hard to do. Now is when we go after the really hard to get candidates because you're backs not against the wall. If you can be discreet about it, you can test the market for the next 12 months and maybe get lucky. If it doesn't work out, and program continues downward trajectory, Champ is out and you go through public search. If he miraculously turns it around, we keep him. If you find an elite coach in the next 12 months, you take them. I picture a basketball triple threat - pass, shoot, or dribble.

If somehow Champ got a top notch OC, (which I agree is highly unlikely), I think he would have a competitive team.

This is a great post. Clumsy is the perfect word for Caslen's start on campus. He has shown us his lack of emotional intelligence through his handling of Ray and Coach.

My wife and I had this conversation last night. The terrible thing for USC right now is we have a president who has lost his credibility, a Board of Trustees that is a train wreck at best, an AD who, thanks to our unprofessional president is walking on eggshells, and football coach who is likely looking to get out of this nuthouse. If Muschamp decides to leave (and who can blame him), who hires the next coach? Maybe a better question is, who do we trust to hire the next coach?

I think everything's cool myself. The optics aren't good, but when it all shakes out, we're going to be better off than we are. Just watch and see. Forces are at work.

I think all of those things come up in an interview. Especially things that would show poor support and perhaps incompetence by a prospective coach's boss.

All the studies show interviewing is about 50% effective for hiring. (The robots will be better...lol). The best predictor of future performance is past performance. Neither Tanner, Muschamp or McClendon had been successful at the positions hired for. Caslen has. Let's let him have his chance with his style. To continue down the same path at USC is, well, you know the Einstein quote.

I think they are at the point where you have to keep Muschamp in order to save recruiting. The Keystone Cops are throwing gas on a already burning fire. I'm at the point where I fell sorry for Muschamp. Make him clean house and bring in a seasoned OC. I don't think there is another Spurrier out there who can salvage this mess.

No matter how you slice and dice it...

Bring in a seasoned OC is a band aid and Muschamp is so hardheaded, he would ruin a seasoned OC....

History shows that seasoned OC's will not work with Muschamp or they would work with him at Florida where any great OC at Florida would be a head coach elsewhere...

Hence, this is why Muschamp isn't at Floria and he is at Carolina...

Cut your loss...

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Caslen was VP, in charge of Endowments, Fundraising and Foundations at UCF (Largest school in the state of Fla).
Twice as students as we have.
He must have done a good job for Army to snatch him up quickly.
Knowing the former Army coach was gone quickly after he was hired. And with his new coach, Army became a very good team.
Caslen will clean house although it may be during the season next Fall WM is fired.
WM may get a chance to prove himself one more time. Caslen will be the best Prez that we have had in awhile.
Ray should be placed in a role like Caslen had at UCF.

One way or another, Caslen seems to have gotten the message that publicly undermining your employees (both Will and Ray in one fell swoop) is not good for business. Hopefully our esteemed loose-lipped lawyers on the BOT get that too.

Anyway, assuming the signing class holds up, IMHO we ought to give Coach one more year to see if he can rebound. After all, this is really the first bad year versus reasonable expectations, and he’s actually exceeded them a couple of years.

However, if it turns out BOT, Caslen, and disgruntled fans have already poisoned the well beyond repair, then I don’t hate the interim HC idea. And if that’s the path, heck, why not see if Spurrier is up for one more fall in Columbia? He did that AFL thing after all. Would bring back a little fun if nothing else.

He may be new to USC...but this was not his first rodeo! Surely he needed to stick to the theme...Will Muschamp is our coach and we support him. Period. He did not have to discuss Florida State, etc.

Misspoke, misunderstood...sounds like he is in Washington!

Our University is not in firm hands...from the top on down.

Tiger Guy here:

I agree 100%. The whole damn thing has been handled poorly. As you said, whether you like the AD/Coach or not... it doesn't matter. You handle the business of the University on the down low. You get everyone together and decide what the answers are. THEN you move forward together (even if you don't agree with the results). Everyone needs to be on the same page and ONE person needs to be doing the talking.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT