ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Strong? Yea? Nay? Mayhaps?***

Yea! He is a better fit for us and the SEC. Texas is not a good fit for him. Texas is a mess. Also, people forget what he did at Louisville.

Not saying he's THE GUY, but we should look at him.

Eh, meh. I don't know man. We need change but we have to be certain our next guy is THE guy & will get this program back on the right track. Could Strong do it? Maybe. I guess any hire will be some level of a gamble.

Nope....

Nobody wants to go back to the 3rd and 17 for a 1st down to seal the game syndrome.

How many games did he give up a 3rd and 1000 miles to lose games....Clemson a couple of times, UGA once and about a half a dozen others.

Nope....

Nobody wants to go back to the 3rd and 17 for a 1st down to seal the game syndrome.

How many games did he give up a 3rd and 1000 miles to lose games....Clemson a couple of times, UGA once and about a half a dozen others.
In Charlie Strong's defense! We had no depth "our starters were strong,"second and third stringers were weak. He would've done a lot of damage with some of our more recent defensive units!

Strong will be gone. Maybe not make it to the end of the season. But he's NOT the answer. Not even as DC.

Reactions: RayGilda
No on 3rd and long Charlie Strong. He was bad here, bad at Florida, and rode Petrino's coat tails in Louisville, look at them now. We most certainly could hire an "A" list coach for here, it is always all about the money.

No on 3rd and long Charlie Strong. He was bad here, bad at Florida, and rode Petrino's coat tails in Louisville, look at them now. We most certainly could hire an "A" list coach for here, it is always all about the money.

Bullcrap! Are you lying - or are you simply spouting crap without any knowledge?

2000 USC - #6 nationally in scoring defense. Yeah, that's real "bad."
2001 USC - #12 nationally in scoring defense. Horrible.

Florida- Coached the defenses to two national championships.

Charlie did not ride Petrino's coattails. There was a coach named Kragthorpe who coached at Louisville for three years between Petrino and Strong - and drove their program into the dirt. Look at them now? Their excellent coach - CHARLIE STRONG - is gone. Yeah, they've fallen. They weren't too bad last yesr though. Blame this on Pigtrino's return.

Reactions: SwampFox99
Nope, 3rd and Long Charlie Strong.

You beat me to it. I remember 3rd and long Charlie very well. I will say he made things happen at Louisville, and I am a fan of his, but not here please. DC maybe, head coach......no thank you.

I would rather go with someone who wants to make a name for himself who still has the drive to recruit. I think we will be better suited with an offensive head coach. I want Tom Herman to be the next coach.

I would say Petrino is riding Charlie's coat tails right now. He recruited very well given his Big East/AAC situation at Louisville and developed talent with the best of them. Don't forget he had 3 1st rounders drafted a few years ago and Todd Grantham's success can be directed credited to the level of toughness and teaching Strong instilled in those guys.

I think Strong would win at USC. The offense wouldn't be flashy, but you'd grind wins out more often than not.

He'd be worth an interview without question.

Bullcrap! Are you lying - or are you simply spouting crap without any knowledge?

2000 USC - #6 nationally in scoring defense. Yeah, that's real "bad."
2001 USC - #12 nationally in scoring defense. Horrible.

Florida- Coached the defenses to two national championships.

Charlie did not ride Petrino's coattails. There was a coach named Kragthorpe who coached at Louisville for three years between Petrino and Strong - and drove their program into the dirt. Look at them now? Their excellent coach - CHARLIE STRONG - is gone. Yeah, they've fallen. They weren't too bad last yesr though. Blame this on Pigtrino's return.

Maybe you are right, but it is ancient history. I am knowledgeable enough to know we can do much better and we do not need him at USC, He will be run out of Texas soon and what will you say about his HEAD Coaching ability then? He may have been a good defensive coordinator, fine he can replace the idiots we have now when Texas shows him the door as head coach.

Maybe you are right, but it is ancient history. I am knowledgeable enough to know we can do much better and we do not need him at USC, He will be run out of Texas soon and what will you say about his HEAD Coaching ability then? He may have been a good defensive coordinator, fine he can replace the idiots we have now when Texas shows him the door as head coach.
Sounds like he is facing issues among players similar to what Spurrier faced when he arrived here and what Meyer's replacement faced at Florida....only much worse.

Nope....

I'm very comfortable saying "nope".

Coach Strong should be give 5 years to turn around texas. The bottomline is kids aren't dying to go to Texas or miami or Nebraska anymore and it's going to take time to turn it around.

No former coaches that weren't that great w/o top talent. I know you need as much top talent as you can get, but you know what I mean. A lot want EJ back as DC, doubt he'd do much with this unit as he did with MI6, Gilmore, et al. He was responsible for some Heisman worthy performances for our opponents though. But anyway, no retreads, unless they were great. Lawing can come back for the DL

It's all ABOUT whose available when and if we need a coach. Before everyone says fire Spurrier let's see who is available that we have a realistic chance of getting.

my bad HELL NO!!!!!

Hell no!!! Plus he is currently making 5 million per year to destroy TEXAS. He is busy. People think Texas was way down when he took over. They finished that year 8-5 and second in the conference. Since 8-5, Charlie has gone 7-11.

You claim to be knowledgeable, and yet you have spouted off unsupportable opinion of his work here, at Florida and at Louisville. I have my doubts about your knowledge.

He may well be run out of Texas after inheriting a cluster bomb that may take a decade to repair. That doesn't change my opinion of the man who ran two of our best defenses ever and led two defenses to national titles and rebuilt Louisville from scratch. And no, his job at Louisville - as head coach - is not ancient history (unless you are a 12 year old).

Who do you think we can get that's "better?" That has proven himself at an FCS and P-5 level?

I claim to be knowledgeable in the fact that we can do better. Why set your sights so low? As you can see if you read all the posts most people agree with me, NO Charlie Strong! Now as far as who we can get, as I stated before, it depends on what we are willing to spend. If we really want an "A" list coach then we will have to pay for it. Now as to who, I am not going to offer an opinion, because all you will do is tell me how you have doubts about my knowledge.

I claim to be knowledgeable in the fact that we can do better. Why set your sights so low? As you can see if you read all the posts most people agree with me, NO Charlie Strong! Now as far as who we can get, as I stated before, it depends on what we are willing to spend. If we really want an "A" list coach then we will have to pay for it. Now as to who, I am not going to offer an opinion, because all you will do is tell me how you have doubts about my knowledge.

Lots of people "claim" a lot of things. But you appear to know very little about Charlie Strong.

Your knowledge: "He was bad here, bad at Florida, and rode Petrino's coat tails in Louisville".
Facts: 2000 USC - #6 nationally in scoring defense. 2001 USC - #12 nationally in scoring defense. Florida- Coached the defenses to two national championships. Louisville- Kragthorpe and drove their program into the dirt. for 3 years after Pitrino.

The only knock on Charlie is that he is not winning at Texas - Knowledgeable fans understand why. I think the Texas admin does too, and he won't be fired.

Calling one's opinion "knowledge" makes one look . . . uhm . . . unknowledgeable.

Honestly cannot think of a single Gator fan who didn't like Strong as the DC at UF. His defenses were generally pretty good at Florida. I would be very hard pressed to find one who liked the job Jon Hoke did as DC in Gainesville, though. None of which necessarily indicates the potential success/failure of Strong as a head coach at another school, including USC. Regardless, he certainly has himself a mess in Texas, but I think he gets another year in Austin.

I don't know if Strong is the answer, but at least he's family & fans would probably embrace him. He most likely is a better recruiter than who we have on staff right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT