ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte Panthers leave Rock hill Hanging

Got a feeling this is mostly Tepper thinking at this point that he has Rock Hill bent over a barrel. Of course, Tepper is a hard left Democrat who by nature begs for a handout at every turn. I almost wish Rock Hill would tell him to go pound sand and pay for it himself somewhere else. But he does have the leverage as their is hardly any other way to repurpose what is halfway built
I agree, the fact that he would not eveen Call anyone, (even Ralph Norman asked to talk with him) makes me THINK it was a brilliant "ploy" on his part. He hasnt become a billionaire by doing everything in an "Up and Up" manner.

Well his team sucks and he wants 160 million from SC taxpayers? Sounds like a good plan to me. And Charlotte it's a matter of time before he wants a new stadium - taxpayer funded of course - or he'll split town.

Well his team sucks and he wants 160 million from SC taxpayers? Sounds like a good plan to me. And Charlotte it's a matter of time before he wants a new stadium - taxpayer funded of course - or he'll split town.
SO VERY true, George Shinn tried that and it didnt work, lets hope it doesnt work again for Tepper. "Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice..............................."

SO VERY true, George Shinn tried that and it didnt work, lets hope it doesnt work again for Tepper. "Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice..............................."
.....and Charlotte ended up funding a new arena anyway a couple years later. Which remains full quite a lot these days. You may not like it, but this is the game of professional sports these days. If you want professional sports, you fund a facility because someone else will.

Reactions: TAV31
Would SC benefit much from this practice facility? Would it cause me to pay less in taxes or benefit the average citizen in any way?
Since the anti-police, anti-American rants in the NFL I stopped watching it years ago. So I don’t care to have an NFL team practice facility in my backyard thats funded by taxes.
They need to just get it over with and change their name to the Charolette Panthers.

Last edited:
Would SC benefit much from this practice facility? Would it cause me to pay less in taxes or benefit the average citizen in any way?
Since the anti-police, anti-American rants in the NFL I stopped watching it years ago. So I don’t care to have an NFL team practice facility in my backyard thats funded by taxes.
They need to just get it over with and change their name to the Charolette Panthers.
Where you live wouldn't benefit, but York County would benefit greatly just from curiosity traffic alone. People travel just to see NFL teams practice in training camp. York County would get that traffic now instead of Spartanburg County. These people have to sleep, lodge. They probably would stop by Carowinds while they are here. Rock Hill just built a complex to house National AAU Basketball events. The traffic has been endless ever since the facility was built. USC even played one of their basketball games there against Florida State. So, if you are in Charleston or Florence, it is easy to say we don't need it. However, if you live in this area like I do, this is a potential investment that would pay for itself if it gets to the finish line.

Where you live wouldn't benefit, but York County would benefit greatly just from curiosity traffic alone. People travel just to see NFL teams practice in training camp. York County would get that traffic now instead of Spartanburg County. These people have to sleep, lodge. They probably would stop by Carowinds while they are here. Rock Hill just built a complex to house National AAU Basketball events. The traffic has been endless ever since the facility was built. USC even played one of their basketball games there against Florida State. So, if you are in Charleston or Florence, it is easy to say we don't need it. However, if you live in this area like I do, this is a potential investment that would pay for itself if it gets to the finish line.
Rock Hill and York county have plenty W/O them. Tourism has every hotel full every weekend. From US open disc golf, to world championships BMX, to National AAU bball events!!

Reactions: Cybercock
Rock Hill and York county have plenty W/O them. Tourism has every hotel full every weekend. From US open disc golf, to world championships BMX, to National AAU bball events!!
Maybe so. However, having the Panthers here would not hurt at all. You are free to disagree although I sense a touch of financial envy, and envy because the team is based out of Charlotte. You seem to like money and money coming your way. However, when it comes to billionaires you seem to have a problem. Tepper is not doing anything different than any other billionaire, Republican or Democrat, with a commodity that people would put up money for. It is apparent that we have already made a heck of a commitment. It would be dumb to just pull out now without evaluating the cost/benefit of committing further just because the guy is a billionaire and you don't like him.

Last edited:
It would have been a great boost to the area. Media people in Charlotte have been complaining for months that Tepper hasn't been forthcoming about the team's strategic path. I'm thinking his commitment to the area and even to the franchise bears monitoring. Something doesn't seem quite right with him.

Your lack of logic and consistency is incredible. But it doesn't go unnoticed.

Tepper is a POS because he's "holding the city hostage" (as if every billionnaire in the world doesn't do the same stuff all the time)

But Trump (The "F&&K Your Feelings" guy), a man who built his business holding communities/towns, even one little old woman with a house he wanted knocked down to build a parking lot - is a messiah.

Your hypocrisy and inconsistency is amusing.

Ahhhh.... you made it a good way down this thread before you brought Trump up. Im proud of you. TDS.

It would have been a great boost to the area. Media people in Charlotte have been complaining for months that Tepper hasn't been forthcoming about the team's strategic path. I'm thinking his commitment to the area and even to the franchise bears monitoring. Something doesn't seem quite right with him.
When your bank accounts have that much money in them, you don't have to worry about what others think.

Maybe so. However, having the Panthers here would not hurt at all. You are free to disagree although I sense a touch of financial envy, and envy because of the team is based out of Charlotte. You seem to like money and money coming your way. However, when it comes to billionaires you seem to have a problem. Tepper is not doing anything different than any other billionaire, Republican or Democrat, with a commodity that people would put up money for. It is apparent that we have already made a heck of a commitment. It would be dumb to just pull out now without evaluating the cost/benefit of committing further just because the guy is a billionaire and you don't like him.
I know exactly what he is doing, I probably would do it as well if I were in his shoes. He wants other people paying for his monstrosity. Again I couldn’t care less Rock Hill will do just fine!! With it without the football team HQ

The reality is North Carolina should be footing some of this bill. It doesn’t create the jobs politicians and sports crowd would like to push. No one’s driving 2-3 hours to watch a Carolina Panthers PRACTICE, even if you do pull for them. Most of the “jobs” associated with the area are given to North Carolinians. Parts of York County have become South Charlotte anyway. They don’t need one more bottleneck.

Yeah they used to practice in Spartanburg and yeah people came out but most were locals in the Greenville-Spartanburg area that came for a few autographs and went home. Should have never left as it was well supported and a way to push the Panthers to parts of the community further away from the area. Tepper bolted so let him build what he wants with his own money. He had a good set up in SC that was well funded and supported and he wanted something else. They can go room at UNC Charlotte for all I care.

The reality is North Carolina should be footing some of this bill. It doesn’t create the jobs politicians and sports crowd would like to push. No one’s driving 2-3 hours to watch a Carolina Panthers PRACTICE, even if you do pull for them. Most of the “jobs” associated with the area are given to North Carolinians. Parts of York County have become South Charlotte anyway. They don’t need one more bottleneck.

Yeah they used to practice in Spartanburg and yeah people came out but most were locals in the Greenville-Spartanburg area that came for a few autographs and went home. Should have never left as it was well supported and a way to push the Panthers to parts of the community further away from the area. Tepper bolted so let him build what he wants with his own money. He had a good set up in SC that was well funded and supported and he wanted something else. They can go room at UNC Charlotte for all I care.
DAMNED!! that actually Makes Sense!!

Reactions: Gamecockben1979

The Rock Hill facility was going to be a lot different than the Wofford College deal.

The facility in Rock Hill was also going to be able to host year-round events and was going to be designed with fans in mind visiting the area. It would have attracted crowds since it's right off the interstate.

I agree. I live in Spartanburg and it was cool to have them here. We went to a couple of the practices. But by and large it’s incredibly boring. And it does little else than create traffic. I’m sure the local restaurants have a good two weeks, but very few people Come and spend the night at hotels. It’s not nearly the economic boom others would have you think.

I agree. I live in Spartanburg and it was cool to have them here. We went to a couple of the practices. But by and large it’s incredibly boring. And it does little else than create traffic. I’m sure the local restaurants have a good two weeks, but very few people Come and spend the night at hotels. It’s not nearly the economic boom others would have you think.
I have visitors, that i interact with, tell me already that Rock Hill is so crazy busy, they cant even find hotel rooms on most weekends, so IMO, Rock Hill will be just fine with out them (the Charlotte FB team) , Someone mentioned they can make it a Halloween Store!! lol

They are. That is why Tepper is pissed off. He has already spent 175 million on the property and the building. Panthers are claiming that the City reneged on a deal for bonds to complete infrastructure and had warned them on it several times. The City is saying they did what they were supposed to. It sounds like the lawyering up will begin on this one.

And so many have soured in the NFL in general, and there is already so much Rock Hill has to offer, you do whatever you can to try and gain support!!

Last edited:
DAMNED!! that actually Makes Sense!!
I told you I didn’t just lean one way politically. Fiscally very conservative. Even if the Panthers were my team, the economics of investing in sports facilities is like the Olympics. It just screws over the taxpayer. Since it’s so close to the border both states could chip in.

Realistically almost every one of these employees associated with the Panthers live in NC. It’s been said on this thread that it would hold events all year but again the primary purpose is to host Panthers football. It’s also trying to suggest to the public that these people wouldn’t spend money in York County otherwise which is nonsense. If you love the Panthers you would go to a practice. But even most of the fans don’t go to watch them do drills and beg for an autograph.

They are. That is why Tepper is pissed off. He has already spent 175 million on the property and the building. Panthers are claiming that the City reneged on a deal for bonds to complete infrastructure and had warned them on it several times. The City is saying they did what they were supposed to. It sounds like the lawyering up will begin on this one.

Seems this will be pretty easy to figure out. I’m sure they have a pretty extensive agreement on who does what when. We’ll see who is right when they stop arguing in public and start releasing evidence in the contract to the public. I have a feeling the side that starts doing that first will probably have the upper hand (because you wouldn’t release things that show you’re at fault).

Reactions: cockofdawn
The city is saying that they needed info from the Panthers to complete the bond request and that the Panthers failed to provide the info. Finally, they said that the Panthers asked for the city to find another way. Hopefully, they have documentation of all of this. Do you realize how little $125 million is to Tepper? He is worth 16.7 BILLION dollars. He's created the issue for some reason and I guess we'll have to let it all play out to find out why. My guess is someone didn't bow and kiss his ring properly.

Reactions: cockofdawn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT