ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Mullen resigns @ St John's

If Martin left, who would want the USC job? It would be interesting to see. I am thinking it would be a name we all would be surprised by. Personally, I hope he stays

If Martin left, who would want the USC job? It would be interesting to see. I am thinking it would be a name we all would be surprised by. Personally, I hope he stays
Should that happen, and we don’t put the full-court press on Donovan, I will be disappointed. Also like Chris Beard and Hurley.

Reactions: xTHExNERFxHAMMERx
Actually Bobby Hurley is at the top of the list. Nice try though.

Good call. They want Hurley. Can they get him? Who knows. Pitino is also doing some campaigning to get in the mix. But do they date touch him even though he would be perfect in New York? Figure they have a few names to go through before they get to Frank.

Good call. They want Hurley. Can they get him? Who knows. Pitino is also doing some campaigning to get in the mix. But do they date touch him even though he would be perfect in New York? Figure they have a few names to go through before they get to Frank.

Isnt Pitino like 115 years old by now? He certainly looks it.

Reactions: mavcock
If I were the fan of any Division One school looking for a coach, I'd swallow hard at the prospect of hiring a man with 33 wins over the most recent two years and no postseason appearances over that time.

We are not getting Billy D. Why would he take the job he advised his friend, Anthony Grant, not to take?
I’m just telling you his return to college ball was being discussed this week on the radio, and we could pay him as much as the schools that were being batted around.

It's Mullin btw, and Hurley, Mark Jackson, Rick Pitino, and Thad Matta have been mentioned as candidates, not Frank Martin, we should pray Frank does not leave.

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
I swear I think somehow Frank Martin is a congressman! He is never accountable for anything! It's always the fault of someone or something else! This "false narrative" as you refer to it, needs to be dismissed !

Curious, can you name another high major school that has kept a coach who only made the NCAAs 1 time in 7 years?

Edit= by high major I mean Power 5 plus Big East and AAC.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Curious, can you name another high major school that has kept a coach who only made the NCAAs 1 time in 7 years?

Interestingly, Brad Brownell at Clemson made the NCAA Tournament in 2010, but has only been back once since then, so technically he's only made 1 in 8 years. Brownell's only visit culminated in the Sweet 16, while Frank's was a Final Four.

So, for all the RT bashers, it's interesting to note how much people love touting Clemson's Athletic Department and their commitment to winning, but don't realize the patience they've shown to Brownell.

It does take time to change a culture, especially with the dumpster fire that Darrin Horn left this program in. We finally have the young pieces in place to be really good next season and beyond, so I will withhold judgment until after that time.

Interestingly, Brad Brownell at Clemson made the NCAA Tournament in 2010, but has only been back once since then, so technically he's only made 1 in 8 years. Brownell's only visit culminated in the Sweet 16, while Frank's was a Final Four.

So, for all the RT bashers, it's interesting to note how much people love touting Clemson's Athletic Department and their commitment to winning, but don't realize the patience they've shown to Brownell.

It does take time to change a culture, especially with the dumpster fire that Darrin Horn left this program in. We finally have the young pieces in place to be really good next season and beyond, so I will withhold judgment until after that time.
The football titles have kept Brownell safe.

Reactions: uscalumni
I swear I think somehow Frank Martin is a congressman! He is never accountable for anything! It's always the fault of someone or something else! This "false narrative" as you refer to it, needs to be dismissed !

He should be winning more games. There is no doubt that the past 2 seasons have been poor. But he is also right to complain that the program is not promoted and supported enough. Not just for the post season, but in general - to raise it's visibility. I also wish the University would address the issue of local recruiting and perhaps try and mend fences with people like Rev. Jackson and his son - and anyone else who might be actively steering these kids away from SC. They did Juwan Gary no favors by getting him to Alabama.

Right now, 2 of 3 men's sports are in a down cycle. While the football went to a bowl game they still took a couple of steps back this past season from the year before. I am hopeful next year will be better, but if it isn't where does the blame lie?

I kind of get what you are getting at, however he has been 2 times in 9 years. He also snuck in 3 NITs, not that the NIT really means much.

I think you directed that question at the wrong poster! I would fire Frank today if I could! I would have fired over the Christmas holidays!

Reactions: Jpcooper
I kind of get what you are getting at, however he has been 2 times in 9 years. He also snuck in 3 NITs, not that the NIT really means much.

The only reason the Clemons have yet to fire Brownell is Dabo asked them not to. That's a fact known among tater boosters. Had Dabo not spoken up for him, they planned to can his ass the year before he made the NCAA tournament!

I just recently joined here because the other sites I had been using are either down (PSR) or have very little participation except by sunshine pumpers. But in the past I have been very critical of Frank Martin. Not as a coach, but as a recruiter. I'm certain that given a team with talent Frank could make it to the NCAA's every year and probably win it all at least once. (In fact, had Thornwell not gotten sick the night before I think we would have beaten Gonzaga in 2017.) But part of coaching is recruiting. That is where he has had trouble - recruiting and then retention. His evaluations have missed several times and the attrition on the team is hurting the program.

I am not a fan of Ray Tanner. He's a duck out of water and while he has done a decent job with facilities (most of those were planned before he became AD) I just don't have much faith in him as the head of the Athletic Dept. I think he dropped the ball with Spurrier because he was afraid of replacing him. I think he dropped the ball with the baseball program. (he should still be the coach)

If the football and men's basketball programs continue to suffer over the next 2 years I predict he won't be the one making any coaching changes.

Reactions: lostcock
I just hope Tanner does not panic and match other supposed offers or even worse just bump Martins contract bidding against air.
If Coach Martin goes, he goes
If Coach Martin stays, he stays.
It's not going to change Carolina Basketball that much either way.... in my opinion.
If he gets another offer and acts interested, thank him and we can all move on.
Fresh air for everyone might be nice.

I just recently joined here because the other sites I had been using are either down (PSR) or have very little participation except by sunshine pumpers. But in the past I have been very critical of Frank Martin. Not as a coach, but as a recruiter. I'm certain that given a team with talent Frank could make it to the NCAA's every year and probably win it all at least once. (In fact, had Thornwell not gotten sick the night before I think we would have beaten Gonzaga in 2017.) But part of coaching is recruiting. That is where he has had trouble - recruiting and then retention. His evaluations have missed several times and the attrition on the team is hurting the program.

I am not a fan of Ray Tanner. He's a duck out of water and while he has done a decent job with facilities (most of those were planned before he became AD) I just don't have much faith in him as the head of the Athletic Dept. I think he dropped the ball with Spurrier because he was afraid of replacing him. I think he dropped the ball with the baseball program. (he should still be the coach)

If the football and men's basketball programs continue to suffer over the next 2 years I predict he won't be the one making any coaching changes.
That's my thought, too. With a new president coming in this summer, Tanner has a year grace period. Afterwards, he's the one the new president will replace.

There are a lot of errors in your post. Tanner was not going to coach baseball after 2013 regardless. Pastides did not want Spurrier to leave and fought to keep him here. Tanner had nothing to do with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT