ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Silva enters 2018 draft

Not to mention the g-league has a continuing education program, so if a degree is really important to a player, he can still get it while playing professionally.
Basketball is establishing a true minor league and soon it will be like baseball where top talent doesn't step foot in a 4-year university. This is progress.
That would be desirable. Then attachments, hopes, and expectations would not be formed at the collegiate level and colleges could go after lesser talent. People would still get wrapped up in the competition.

Reactions: wentzel25
So his development is 100% due to Frank Martin? Or was it spending time away from basketball in classes?

you take it anyway you want to.. i was responding to your statement.

If he leaves after his junior year...Thornwell never gets drafted, never makes the millions on that first round contract..he made a very good financial choice for himself staying in school, something Dozier probably wishes was the route he chose

If he leaves after his junior year...Thornwell never gets drafted, never makes the millions on that first round contract..he made a very good financial choice for himself staying in school, something Dozier probably wishes was the route he chose

It was a second round contract. He made most of his money off his performance in the Vegas summer league. (source: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/b...hornwell-signs-three-year-deal-with-clippers/)

I agree with you that Dozier should have stayed, but doesn't really matter what you and I think. If he wants to go, he wants to go. Maybe he really didn't like going to class.

If you search this forum you'll see where I told people "IF we get Silva back next year" and they said "what the hell do you mean IF, there's absolutely no way he'd try to turn pro!" It ain't over til it's over.

Still hoping he does come back to school this fall; we could have a great team

t8zvc_zpsadf916d2.gif

Reactions: DarkCock
The only thing that worries me about Silva, is that if you read in his 'story' you see the quote he made when he first came to the U.S., "Coach, I go NBA". That's his dream and goal. I hope he gets good advice here, and whichever way it goes, is guided into the best decision for him. (And if that decision is that he returns to USC next year, OUTSTANDING!)

Last edited:
That would be desirable. Then attachments, hopes, and expectations would not be formed at the collegiate level and colleges could go after lesser talent. People would still get wrapped up in the competition.
Exactly, I'm not saying it's perfect, but college baseball is a far better model than college basketball right now.
The NBA and NCAA can't decide whether they want college to be a farm system or an actual college sport.

My basic concept in all this is simple: you become a better basketball player by playing basketball full-time. Who's to say Sindarius wouldn't have been better than he currently is by spending a year in the G-league or being an NBA bench player for an additional year?

The only thing that worries me about Silva, is that if you read in his 'story' you see the quote he made when he first came to the U.S., "Coach, I go NBA". That's his dream and goal. I hope he get good advice here, and whichever way it goes, is able to be guided into the best decision for him. (And if that decision is that he returns to USC next year, OUTSTANDING!)

If colleges would wise up and pay these athletes maybe the marginal players would hold off a year before entering the draft

Finally someone who gets it. The players are making decisions best for their well being, not so fans can feel better about chances of making tournaments. And to those who profess that staying for a degree is paramount to all else, get real. You can always go back to school.

True....The first sentence Chris said when getting off the plane in the US was 'I go NBA"....There's your answer..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT