ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE Ray: Chadwell just MADE FIESTA BOWL won CUSA w #23 Liberty; Resign

They were 8-1 before the Hugh Freeze to Auburn rumors started heating up. You’re conveniently leaving that part out. No doubt rumors of your coach leaving affect the locker room and play. They’re winning 8-11 games every year since 2019.

We’re also forgetting they went 10-1 with only one loss in 2020. A one point loss to NC State. So Liberty was one possession away from having 2 undefeated seasons in the last four years. That’s a pretty solid machine.

Oh by the way, the bowl win that season was against Chadwell and Coastal.

Left that part out because I didn't know it, and I can't verify or dispute it either.

But the fact remains they were 8-5 last year, AND the year before.

They were 10-1 three years ago, but they did follow it up with two straight 8-5 years.

It's disingenuous to pretend they were a juggernaut in their league, or the equivalent of a Rolls Royce. "Solid" maybe, but not juggernaut.

In the CBS pregame, they were talking to Kirby Smart about the pre-game approach of him and Saban.

He said something to the effect of that they both probably say the same stuff and approach the game the same way- then added that it wasn't about all that and it was about the players on the field.

Ok going to play devils advocate here. Chadwell did a solid job at Coastal. No denying that.

However he inherited a Rolls Royce at Liberty. Hugh Freeze brought in most of those players. Liberty has a TON of money and resources, much more than most of their opponents in their conference. It’s nice Liberty is undefeated, but I’m not sure if they were an underdog in any of those games, so let’s not act like he built Liberty from the ground up.

Chadwell might do great in a power 5 job and he might be “Sun Belt Billy” Napier. It’s hard to knock us when virtually no other major college has given him a chance (except Miss State which he turned down.)

Sun Belt Billy is still better than our current HC so that would be an improvement.

The guy Ray said no to just won his 5th conference championship at 4 different schools as #24 13-0 Liberty is finishing off NM State (who blew out Auburn 2 weeks ago) to win Conference USA.

Chadwell conf championships
D2 North Greenville x 1 2010
FCS Charlleston Southern x 2 2015/2016
FBS Coastal Carolina x 1 2020
FBS Liberaty x 1 2023

**He also was OC at CSU in 2005 when they won a 3rd one

And yes, Hugh Freeze coacbed LU last year. And left, and Chadwell had to convince LU players not to portal out. Appears he did quite well. While we lose players like a sinking ship.

And he just turned down Mississippi State to stay at Liberty.

Ray Tanner should resign over this one. We had an up and coming star and he said no, to hire a 20 year position coach.
When the coaching search to replace Muschamp was on, a local friend who is well-connected to a local BOT member, shocked me when he talked up Beamer. That was early in the process. I believe the "fix" was in. Hopefully, Beamer will straighten out the ship. If not, the idiots in the Administration, including the BOT, need to go after Chadwell.

It just doesn't work at the top of D1. Resources are maximized because there's too much money at stake. Again, please name a coach in the SEC who consistently outperforms teams with more talent. You can't and there's a reason for that.
What doesn’t work?? You know Urban Meyer came from Bowling Green. And Saban from Kent State. Most great coaches started in lower levels

Reactions: Neanderthal
Tanners looking like….

Joe Biden Shock GIF by GIPHY News

When the coaching search to replace Muschamp was on, a local friend who is well-connected to a local BOT member, shocked me when he talked up Beamer. That was early in the process. I believe the "fix" was in. Hopefully, Beamer will straighten out the ship. If not, the idiots in the Administration, including the BOT, need to go after Chadwell.
Chadwell is gone now too late. But Ray should resign over it. Either he made a terribly bad decision, or, he’s letting donors make football decisions for him. Both are worthy of a new AD being brought in who knows football

Tanners looking like….

Joe Biden Shock GIF by GIPHY News
Id understand if he wanted someone with HC or extensive coordinator experience in Power 5

But he narrowed it to someone who had neither, versus someone with extensive HC and OC experience in D2, FCS and FBS and won conference titles at all 3. And he chose the one with no experience at all.

How Tanner is still AD baffles me

Reactions: Robhawk29
Sadly, you are probably right.
Oh that door is closed for South Carolina now. Im just predicting but he will be Va Techs HC by 2027, and probably win the ACC multiple times there. Long shot but if Heupel ever is out at Tennessee, Chadwell would be their guy. Hes an East Tennessee guy born and raised, played at ETSU. He would never leave, and would win there

With all that Florida talent, what bowl are they going to?
Same one we are haha but Sun Belt Billy is 2-0 vs us. Sun Belt Drinkowitz owns us also. And some question if Sun Belt Chadwell would have cut it in the SEC haha? Drinkowitz sure is

Same one we are haha but Sun Belt Billy is 2-0 vs us. Sun Belt Drinkowitz owns us also. And some question if Sun Belt Chadwell would have cut it in the SEC haha? Drinkowitz sure is
WE are 10th in the SEC regarding the NIL. Missouri is 13th. Is Drinkowitz that good of a coach?

Yeah, they were ready to fire Drink at the end of last season after 2 six win seasons.

Last edited:
WE are 10th in the SEC regarding the NIL. Missouri is 13th. Is Drinkowitz that good of a coach?

Mizzou is 13th because nobody can seem to find out how much they are giving.

13. Missouri (Every True Tiger)​

After the stats gave into some of the legal requirements for NIL deals to occur Missouri's collective rebranded to Every True Tiger Foundation, a collective that will “enable athletes to earn compensation for their Name, Image and Likeness by partnering with other non-profit organizations who help to better the community.”

There seems to be nothing out there regarding how much the collective has raised.

Did Drink just suddenly become a good coach after a 5 win season and two 6 win seasons?

Or maybe he lucked up getting a great player that nobody else picked up?

They also rank lower on the talent composite.

It does pretty much dispel the myth that coaching has no impact.
Absolutely. I've read in the past that "coaching" was far, far more important in football than in basketball. In basketball, one stud can carry a team. But football is a much more complicated game, with more players and positions to work with and develop. I did not have to read that to know it. To me, it's common sense.

Reactions: Lurker123
Did Drink just suddenly become a good coach after a 5 win season and two 6 win seasons?

Or maybe he lucked up getting a great player that nobody else picked up?
He did prove to be a good coach in that one season he was at Appalachian State, finishing 18th in the nation. And I think he beat us that season as well.

Absolutely. I've read in the past that "coaching" was far, far more important in football than in basketball. In basketball, one stud can carry a team. But football is a much more complicated game, with more players and positions to work with and develop. I did not have to read that to know it. To me, it's common sense.

Agreed.

Teams will always be limited by talent, (read NIL and recruiting) but there is a range of teams within shooting distance. And coaching makes all the difference with those.

Reactions: gamecock stock
Must be. Look where they are today.

Mizzou will win some games next year too. Much easier schedule than us. Drink will probably bail after that for a bigger job.

That running back is a player. Very lucky that a booster forced Drink to let him walk on in order to get his donation.

Mizzou will win some games next year too. Much easier schedule than us. Drink will probably bail after that for a bigger job.

That running back is a player. Very lucky that a booster forced Drink to let him walk on in order to get his donation.
Yep. Funny how us and Missouri had D2 transfers leading us in rushing yet some fans look down on lower level coaches as unqualified to be in the SEC haha.

Update:

Chadwell in year 1 just made the Fiesta Bowl vs Oregon. A New Years Six aka BCS bowl, wirh a team who was FCS 5 years ago.

They’re gonna lose to Oregon, they have CUSA players. But if that game is competitive, or somehow Chadwell wins it, Ray should broadcast live from the 50 yard like and type his resignation on air.

Im not saying we would be in the Fiesta Bowl if Ray hired Chadwell. But the record shows within 3 years of everywhere hes been hes won 10+ games and a conference championship. My guess is he would have still lost to Georgia and Alabama, probably a Tennessee or A&M loss somewhere, but in 2023 we would probably be 9-3 and winning 10th in a bowl. And be on the rise, rather than the swirling drain the program is in now

Last edited:
By fans, do you mean every AD of any major school in the nation?
Not so. Missouris AD hired Drinkowitz. Utahs AD hired Urban Meyer. Baylors AD hired a high school coach. Oregon hired Chip Kelly. Stanford hired Harbaugh, who only coached non scholarship FCS ball. An entire coaching tree came from Hal Mumme and Georgias D2 programs.

Lots of successful P5 programs hired lower level guys. Just not Ray.

Not so. Missouris AD hired Drinkowitz. Utahs AD hired Urban Meyer. Baylors AD hired a high school coach. Oregon hired Chip Kelly. Stanford hired Harbaugh, who only coached non scholarship FCS ball. An entire coaching tree came from Hal Mumme and Georgias D2 programs.

Lots of successful P5 programs hired lower level guys. Just not Ray.

I'm specifically talking about Chadwell. Why is everyone passing him over? Carolina isn't the only job opening in the last 5 years.

Update:

Chadwell in year 1 just made the Fiesta Bowl vs Oregon. A New Years Six aka BCS bowl, wirh a team who was FCS 5 years ago.

They’re gonna lose to Oregon, they have CUSA players. But if that game is competitive, or somehow Chadwell wins it, Ray should broadcast live from the 50 yard like and type his resignation on air.

Im not saying we would be in the Fiesta Bowl if Ray hired Chadwell. But the record shows within 3 years of everywhere hes been hes won 10+ games and a conference championship. My guess is he would have still lost to Georgia and Alabama, probably a Tennessee or A&M loss somewhere, but in 2023 we would probably be 9-3 and winning 10th in a bowl. And be on the rise, rather than the swirling drain the program is in now
Let’s not start giving a built in excuse for Chadwell to lose. Liberty won’t have one single person opt out. A huge fan base will come out there. This will be their Super Bowl.

Oregon on the other hand may have tons of starters opt out and be playing tons of rookies with little game experience.

Should Oregon win? Sure. But by how much is due in large part to how many Oregon starters decide to play or opt out of the bowl game.

Update:

It's the JV spot for the New Year's DAy bowl. If it wasn't them, it might have been Tulane. Neither deserve it. Half of Oregon's team will probably opt out. And I don't blame them. Nobody cares about Liberty or playing them.

I'm specifically talking about Chadwell. Why is everyone passing him over? Carolina isn't the only job opening in the last 5 years.
For one they arent. He turned down Mississippi State and Syracuse. As I said, he wants to live in the Carolinas/VA/East TN region. Now every AD in America will be looking into him w this Fiesta Bowl exposure and seeing his track record at Liberty, Coastal and Charleston Sourhern.

We had a chance to get him before he became nationally known. Thanks Ray

It's the JV spot for the New Year's DAy bowl. If it wasn't them, it might have been Tulane. Neither deserve it. Half of Oregon's team will probably opt out. And I don't blame them. Nobody cares about Liberty or playing them.
Haha ok. Tulane beat Southern Cal and a Heisman QB.

Our fans ability to look down on non-SEC football is amazing, and IMO holding us back bc thats partly why Ray made that hire. Maybe I owe Ray Tanner an apology. He knew half of our fans would lose their minds if he hired “just some Coastal guy” and he just hired a Spurrier assistant to silence critics.

Last edited:
For one they arent. He turned down Mississippi State and Syracuse. As I said, he wants to live in the Carolinas/VA/East TN region.

I love when people just dig a deeper and deeper hole, only to look more foolish at every turn.

They will get smoked by Oregon.

I almost always cheer for the underdog, so I'll be pulling for them hard. But I don't hold out much hope.

Maybe, as said above, Oregon will have a truckload of opt outs. Maybe we'll get another Boise St moment for this generation.

I just don't think so though.

But you're right, the exposure will do wonders for this guy. I wonder if he sticks to his guns about staying in the area. A good showing, and people might start throwing lots of money at him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT