ADVERTISEMENT

Well 2-4 is fun; Jamey Chadwell is 6-0 in yr 1, glad we didnt hire him!! UPDATE 2-5 is fun!

I count four in that group that at least had what today would be termed Power Five head coaching experience. If we're going to do a comparison, let's do an ACTUAL comparison.
Oh so its not SEC experience now that’s required just P5 experience?? Now that we see some lf the best SEC coaches ever….had no SEC experience? Well Urban Meyer had no P5 experience he had G5. Chip Kelly went to Oregon from FCS New Hampshire.

VERY few coaches get hired straight into P5 day 1 unless they have a connection to a P5 HC already.

As long as they keep filling up the stadium this clown show will continue. BOT and Tanner only concerned about making money not winning football games.
I can't like this enough. It is a wine and cheese BOT with no balls to go out and do what it takes to have a top of the line football program. It is doable. NIL is doable. No one cares enough as long as the revenue rolls in.
I will continue to watch on my 75" TV at home.

Oh so its not SEC experience now that’s required just P5 experience?? Now that we see some lf the best SEC coaches ever….had no SEC experience? Well Urban Meyer had no P5 experience he had G5. Chip Kelly went to Oregon from FCS New Hampshire.

VERY few coaches get hired straight into P5 day 1 unless they have a connection to a P5 HC already.
You're talking to the wrong person because I never touted SEC head coaching experience . I AM touting Power Five experience because it evidently relates to most successful SEC transitions. So why wouldn't you use that as a requisite? Incidentally, Urban Meyer lit it up at Utah before Florida hired him. [Edit, hkw] He had that great team that beat a Big Boy in their bowl.

Last edited:
Reactions: gamecock stock
You're talking to the wrong person because I never touted SEC head coaching experience . I AM touting Power Five experience because it evidently relates to most successful SEC transitions. So why wouldn't you use that as a requisite?
Power 5 successful Head Coaching experience has been the formula for any decent success at South Carolina for the past 55 years. Paul Dietzel won the ACC, Jim Carlen won 8 games (twice) for the first time ever in USC history and brought in a future Heisman Winner. Morrison won 10 games in 1984. Holtz won back to back Outback bowls over historical Power Ohio State. Spurrier Ied USC to 3 straight Top 10 finishes. Those without prior successful P5 Head Coaching experience were Bell, Woods, Scott, Muschamp and Beamer. If Beamer fails, I suspect we will go back to the proven formula and hire someone who had succeeded as a P5 Head Coach.

In the meantime, Missouri is a "must win" game for this year's team, imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
You're talking to the wrong person because I never touted SEC head coaching experience . I AM touting Power Five experience because it evidently relates to most successful SEC transitions. So why wouldn't you use that as a requisite? Incidentally, Urban Meyer lit it up at Utah before Florida hired him. You need to bone up a little bit.
Utah wasnt P5 when he was there. They were Mountain West I believe. So his first P5 job was Florida.

Power 5 successful Head Coaching experience has been the formula for any decent success at South Carolina for the past 55 years. Paul Dietzel won the ACC, Jim Carlen won 8 games (twice) for the first time ever in USC history and brought in a future Heisman Winner. Morrison won 10 games in 1984. Holtz won back to back Outback bowls over historical Power Ohio State. Spurrier Ied USC to 3 straight Top 10 finishes. Those without prior successful P5 Head Coaching experience were Bell, Woods, Scott, Muschamp and Beamer. If Beamer fails, I suspect we will go back to the proven formula and hire someone who had succeeded as a P5 Head Coach.

In the meantime, Missouri is a "must win" game for this year's team, imo.
But how many “successful P5 head coaches” are we actually going to land?? Holtz and Spurrier we snagged from the AARP waiting room, and hell yes get another one if there is one, but who is that?? Otherwise we are looking for what!? “Successful P5” so I assume a guy who averaged 8+ wins, at a P5 team? What coach in the B10, SEC, ACC, P12, B12 who is winning 8 games or more is leaving to come here?

Utah wasnt P5 when he was there. They were Mountain West I believe. So his first P5 job was Florida.
You are correct. As a flagship state university they were evidently presumptive Power Five since they soon moved up. But I'll still say, for every Urban Meyer, the Power Five roadsides are littered with the skelatal remains of multiple Jim McElwains.

Last edited:
But how many “successful P5 head coaches” are we actually going to land?? Holtz and Spurrier we snagged from the AARP waiting room, and hell yes get another one if there is one, but who is that?? Otherwise we are looking for what!? “Successful P5” so I assume a guy who averaged 8+ wins, at a P5 team? What coach in the B10, SEC, ACC, P12, B12 who is winning 8 games or more is leaving to come here?
Even so, there is no reason we could not attract a successful Head Coach from a lower Tier FBS school.

You are correct. As a flagship state university they were evidently presumptive Power Five since they soon moved up. But I'll still say, for every Urban Meyer, the Power Five roadsides are littered with the skelatal remains of multiple Jim McElwains.
Thats true. Its hard to find the right coach. Thats why choosing one who has never been a HC, OC or DC over one with a proven winning record at several different places, not to mention 20 years of recruiting our state, was a bad move

**BTW Chadwell/Liberty won again last night to move to 7-0 in year 1

Even so, there is no reason we could not attract a successful Head Coach from a lower Tier FBS school.
Maybe, but we are middle tier at best. Lower tier is what, Vandy, Indiana, Cal? I was about to say Kansas but Kansas is better than us now, they took a proven winner from D3 and G5 and hes winning. They didnt demand P5 experience

**Update: Liberty beat Middle Tennessee last night to move to 7-0 in Chadwells first year. Watched it on TV, that offense looked just as formidable as it did at Coastal, CSU and NGU

Reactions: gamecock stock
Meh. You had a constant boner for Caldwell last year until they lost to Old Dominion, James Madison, Troy, and East Carolina.

More NIL money for better players is the answer.

Meh. You had a constant boner for Caldwell last year until they lost to Old Dominion, James Madison, Troy, and East Carolina.

More NIL money for better players is the answer.
Yep their 3x SBC Player of the Year QB was banged up in 2022, and the ECU loss was the bowl after Chadwell already left. They won the SBC Division in 2022, and lost to a great 12-win Troy team that finished #19 in the top 25. I stopped saying we made a mistake last year after the UT and Clemson wins.

We can look down on Sun Belt teams all we want, but would we have won the SBC any of the last 3 years?? Unlikely. We wouldnt beat App State.

In hindsight it appears we pulled 2 upsets and 2023 is more our normal than last November was.

Yep their 3x SBC Player of the Year QB was banged up in 2022, and the ECU loss was the bowl after Chadwell already left. They won the SBC Division in 2022, and lost to a great 12-win Troy team that finished #19 in the top 25. I stopped saying we made a mistake last year after the UT and Clemson wins.

We can look down on Sun Belt teams all we want, but would we have won the SBC any of the last 3 years?? Unlikely. We wouldnt beat App State.

In hindsight it appears we pulled 2 upsets and 2023 is more our normal than last November was.

So! None of that is relevant to the SEC and big boy football that is 100% run by money now.

Caldwell or even any other previously successful, proven SEC coach won't be successful here unless we have the money to buy the best players.

If you want to win now, you got to buy it outright. Ain't a coach out there than can take the 10th ranked NIL in a conference like the SEC and win the conference, let alone the playoffs. Just dreamin'.

So! None of that is relevant to the SEC and big boy football that is 100% run by money now.

Caldwell or even any other previously successful, proven SEC coach won't be successful here unless we have the money to buy the best players.

If you want to win now, you got to buy it outright. Ain't a coach out there than can take the 10th ranked NIL in a conference like the SEC and win the conference, let alone the playoffs. Just dreamin'.

Wow, this coaching staff has taken one of the biggest sunshine pumpers and wrecked her brain. She's now a "tater" Debbie downer.

Where are thos gorilla memes when you need one?

Facts are meaningless when a hissy fit is going full throttle.

Thats true. Its hard to find the right coach. Thats why choosing one who has never been a HC, OC or DC over one with a proven winning record at several different places, not to mention 20 years of recruiting our state, was a bad move

**BTW Chadwell/Liberty won again last night to move to 7-0 in year 1
The road not taken can never be substantiated as a bad move or a good move because what might have happened is never known. Why have so many others eschewed Chadwell? Many other Power Five schools in the southern tier besides us have needed coaches. In our case, the shadow of Sparky Woods is still long.

Last edited:
Beamer will be fine with what he has to work with. All that is missing is the money to buy better players.

All the crying and butthurt won't change anything. Get over it. Pay up or shut up.

Coaches will be graded on a curve based on what they have to work with. Right now, we are probably getting better than we deserve and have paid for. And unless the money starts pouring in, the top coaches and coordinators are going to come here. They want to win, and they will want the best players to work with.

No free rides, bitches. Cry it out.

Recruiting ability is very important. I would never minimize that. However "coaching" ability is more important, imho. No one would disagree that the Spurrier era has been our most successful. Though Spurrier was not a bad recruiter, I would describe his recruiting skills as "solid". Spurrier was always praised for his "coaching" ability....his "X's and O's".....his playcalling. While at Florida, there were complaints about his recruiting efforts. Some called Steve a "lazy" recruiter.

I don't ever see us consistently outrecruiting the Georgias, Floridas, Alabamas, Texas of the college football world. If we have an opening (probably would not happen before 2025), I would not hesitate going to the mid-major level to hire a replacement. That means schools like Troy, South Alabama, Liberty, UTSA, UCF, etc. to hire a proven, successful Head Coach who can do "more with less".

HOPEFULLY Beamer can turn it around starting Saturday. If we lose, I don't want to be in front of Beamer's foot. And it will get real ugly here and may put the program into a spiral the rest of the season. If that happens, with the 2024 schedule looking brutal, the 2025 season will be "make or break" for Beamer.

Maybe, but we are middle tier at best. Lower tier is what, Vandy, Indiana, Cal? I was about to say Kansas but Kansas is better than us now, they took a proven winner from D3 and G5 and hes winning. They didnt demand P5 experience
I said "lower tier FBS school". That would not limit you to just P5 schools.

Coaches will be graded on a curve based on what they have to work with. Right now, we are probably getting better than we deserve and have paid for. And unless the money starts pouring in, the top coaches and coordinators are going to come here. They want to win, and they will want the best players to work with.

No free rides, bitches. Cry it out.

Lmao

"Coaches will be graded on a curve".

Translation, facts and records don't matter anymore. As long as Mrs Satterdield says so, the coach is awesome.

You make sure to let the AD'S know of your new rule involving the "curve". I'm sure theyll be SO interested.

Recruiting ability is very important. I would never minimize that. However "coaching" ability is more important, imho. No one would disagree that the Spurrier era has been our most successful. Though Spurrier was not a bad recruiter, I would describe his recruiting skills as "solid". Spurrier was always praised for his "coaching" ability....his "X's and O's".....his playcalling. While at Florida, there were complaints about his recruiting efforts. Some called Steve a "lazy" recruiter.

I don't ever see us consistently outrecruiting the Georgias, Floridas, Alabamas, Texas of the college football world. If we have an opening (probably would not happen before 2025), I would not hesitate going to the mid-major level to hire a replacement. That means schools like Troy, South Alabama, Liberty, UTSA, UCF, etc. to hire a proven, successful Head Coach who can do "more with less".

HOPEFULLY Beamer can turn it around starting Saturday. If we lose, I don't want to be in front of Beamer's foot. And it will get real ugly here and may put the program into a spiral the rest of the season. If that happens, with the 2024 schedule looking brutal, the 2025 season will be "make or break" for Beamer.

Agreed. The portal is reducing the impact of recruiting.

What's needed for teams that aren't elite is the ability to coach and scheme your way around your opponents.

Whether people want to admit it or not, NIL is the biggest part of recruiting now, especially for the best players. We have always been at a talent disadvantage, and that gap will only widen unless the money pours into the program. The pipedream that we find some hidden gem of a coach that nobody else knows about and nobody else is willing to outbid us on is nothing more than a fairy tale.

I'm not saying it can't happen...there is a very small chance. But it's not a "plan" anymore than buying a lotto ticket is a retirement "plan".

soyouretellingmetheresachance-2.gif

The road not taken can never be substantiated as a bad move or a good move because what might have happened is never known. Why have so many others eschewed Chadwell? Many other Power Five schools in the southern tier besides us have needed coaches. In our case, the shadow of Sparky Woods is still long.
Hes unique. I know people who know him well, he wants to either stay in SC (he did for 20 years) or be in the general Appalachian area where he grew up and played, hence Liberty. So other than us, Clemson, App St, Va Tech, Tennessee….options are limited. He will be HC at Va Tech or UT eventually

Whether people want to admit it or not, NIL is the biggest part of recruiting now, especially for the best players. We have always been at a talent disadvantage, and that gap will only widen unless the money pours into the program. The pipedream that we find some hidden gem of a coach that nobody else knows about and nobody else is willing to outbid us on is nothing more than a fairy tale.

I'm not saying it can't happen...there is a very small chance. But it's not a "plan" anymore than buying a lotto ticket is a retirement "plan".

soyouretellingmetheresachance-2.gif
I don't disagree with your assertion on the importance of NIL. Hopefully those with deep pockets will give. I give to causes that I consider more important than me and my entertainment.....causes such as St Judes, the Shriners Childrens Hospital in Greenville, ASPCA, Matthew25:Ministries, etc. That being said, the other schools won't stop participating in NIL just because we upped our game there. Going forward, we still need a Head Coach who "can do more with less", as we had when Spurrier was here. Hopefully, Shane Beamer will prove to be that.

Not a "Tater". Bachelor and Masters degrees from the University of South Carolina.

Reactions: Lurker123
I don't disagree with your assertion on the importance of NIL. Hopefully those with deep pockets will give. I give to causes that I consider more important than me and my entertainment.....causes such as St Judes, the Shriners Childrens Hospital in Greenville, ASPCA, Matthew25:Ministries, etc. That being said, the other schools won't stop participating in NIL just because we upped our game there. Going forward, we still need a Head Coach who "can do more with less", as we had when Spurrier was here. Hopefully, Shane Beamer will prove to be that.

Not a "Tater". Bachelor and Masters degrees from the University of South Carolina.

Yeah, I wasn't referring to you. Just the usual taters.

I agree with that point, I just don't see how that happens. The stars aligned for us to get Spurrier. Don't see that happening again. Needle in a haystack.

Hes unique. I know people who know him well, he wants to either stay in SC (he did for 20 years) or be in the general Appalachian area where he grew up and played, hence Liberty. So other than us, Clemson, App St, Va Tech, Tennessee….options are limited. He will be HC at Va Tech or UT eventually
I agree with that. If Beamer flames out, I hope we go for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT