ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE Ray: Chadwell just MADE FIESTA BOWL won CUSA w #23 Liberty; Resign

For one they arent. He turned down Mississippi State and Syracuse. As I said, he wants to live in the Carolinas/VA/East TN region. Now every AD in America will be looking into him w this Fiesta Bowl exposure and seeing his track record at Liberty, Coastal and Charleston Sourhern.

We had a chance to get him before he became nationally known. Thanks Ray

Why is he even supposedly looking at other jobs and supposedly turning them down if he only wants to be in the Carolinas?

Haha ok. Tulane beat Southern Cal and a Heisman QB.

Our fans ability to look down on non-SEC football is amazing, and IMO holding us back bc thats partly why Ray made that hire. Maybe I owe Ray Tanner an apology. He knew half of our fans would lose their minds if he hired “just some Coastal guy” and he just hired a Spurrier assistant to silence critics.
In Hollywood today, there's controversy over what they call "Nepo Babies". That is, actors and actresses who get movie and TV roles, not because of talent. But because they are the sons and daughters of famous actors or actresses. Is Shane the college football equivalent of a "Nepo Baby"?

The guy Ray said no to just won his 5th conference championship at 4 different schools as #24 13-0 Liberty is finishing off NM State (who blew out Auburn 2 weeks ago) to win Conference USA.

Chadwell conf championships
D2 North Greenville x 1 2010
FCS Charlleston Southern x 2 2015/2016
FBS Coastal Carolina x 1 2020
FBS Liberaty x 1 2023

**He also was OC at CSU in 2005 when they won a 3rd one

And yes, Hugh Freeze coacbed LU last year. And left, and Chadwell had to convince LU players not to portal out. Appears he did quite well. While we lose players like a sinking ship.

And he just turned down Mississippi State to stay at Liberty.

Ray Tanner should resign over this one. We had an up and coming star and he said no, to hire a 20 year position coach.
How long has he stayed in one place?

How long has he stayed in one place?

This is a double edged sword. If he moves up, he's not staying in one place long enough.

If he stays for a while in one place, he's not moving up, and it's a knock on him.

In Hollywood today, there's controversy over what they call "Nepo Babies". That is, actors and actresses who get movie and TV roles, not because of talent. But because they are the sons and daughters of famous actors or actresses. Is Shane the college football equivalent of a "Nepo Baby"?

Good analogy.

I think it's a good question to ask. Would he have been hired here, with his exact resume, if his dad was a plumber?

Moot point, I know.

The best that can come of it is learning a lesson for the next hire, whenever that is.

Reactions: gamecock stock
This is a double edged sword. If he moves up, he's not staying in one place long enough.

If he stays for a while in one place, he's not moving up, and it's a knock on him.
If I'm Ray, and I get this vibe that we will be a stepping stone to something better in a few short years, I'm probably taking a pass on him. It's not a good look for an SEC team.

I truly believe Chadwell has relatives on this board lobbying…..no one gives two cents about the coach at Liberty except their fans.

The only place you hear about him are on a few Gamecock message boards.

The overall fan base doesn't give a rip about him.

ECU would be the perfect place for him. Their coach is struggling but it's a place where you can win some games.

He wins 8 games a year there for a year or two, then the big schools will dump the cash for him.

Reactions: tngamecock#
I truly believe Chadwell has relatives on this board lobbying…..no one gives two cents about the coach at Liberty except their fans.
Does it really matter? We are stuck with Beamer into 2025. We obviously cannot compete through the NIL/Portal system. Thus to have any chance we need Beamer to exhibit a coaching skill set.

Reactions: Lurker123
They will get smoked by Oregon.

I almost always cheer for the underdog, so I'll be pulling for them hard. But I don't hold out much hope.

Maybe, as said above, Oregon will have a truckload of opt outs. Maybe we'll get another Boise St moment for this generation.

I just don't think so though.

But you're right, the exposure will do wonders for this guy. I wonder if he sticks to his guns about staying in the area. A good showing, and people might start throwing lots of money at him.

Oregon should smoke em, they’re a legit top 10 team full of former SEC stars and future pros. Liberty has a CUSA roster full of recruiting classes ranked 100th and worse.

Yet, as he does everywhere, Chadwell has the playing incredible and above their weight class.

And in 1 year they reach the NY6 bowls haha

The only place you hear about him are on a few Gamecock message boards.

The overall fan base doesn't give a rip about him.

ECU would be the perfect place for him. Their coach is struggling but it's a place where you can win some games.

He wins 8 games a year there for a year or two, then the big schools will dump the cash for him.

Haha incorrect. Lots heard of him when he landed GameDay at Coastal Carolina and beat #9 BYU. All of FCS heard of him when he was at lil ole CSU beating App St, Citadel and taking #1 FCS dynasty NDSU into OT.

But yes, we was not YET a true national hot name in coaching searches bc it was well known he wanted to stay in this part of the country and never reached out much.

Meaning WE had a chance to land a future star who now is on the radar and too big for our next opening. Which he wouldnt take anyway after Ray shunned him

Does it really matter? We are stuck with Beamer into 2025. We obviously cannot compete through the NIL/Portal system. Thus to have any chance we need Beamer to exhibit a coaching skill set.
It matters that Ray resigns. He made that colossal bad decision and if we dont demand he leave, hes gonna make the next hire too. And USC football will become Vandy. Thats why this decision he made has to be emphasized. See what the “other guy” who wasnt good enough is doing elsewhere and decide if Ray Tanner should be anywhere near the next football decision

If I'm Ray, and I get this vibe that we will be a stepping stone to something better in a few short years, I'm probably taking a pass on him. It's not a good look for an SEC team.

I certainly understand this reasoning. It takes an admission that we ARE a stepping stone program. I completlwy understand not wanting that reputation.

However, part of me sees it this way. If you hire a guy lile that, and he does leave in a few years, it's because he did a good job. We would be better, and he would be gone. But then we wouldn't be near the bottom, relying on an unproven hail Mary hire.

Reactions: bucketdad
It matters that Ray resigns. He made that colossal bad decision and if we dont demand he leave, hes gonna make the next hire too. And USC football will become Vandy
I have heard he will retire at the end of his current contract, June 2026.

2025 is shaping up as a make or break season for Beamer

I certainly understand this reasoning. It takes an admission that we ARE a stepping stone program. I completlwy understand not wanting that reputation.

However, part of me sees it this way. If you hire a guy lile that, and he does leave in a few years, it's because he did a good job. We would be better, and he would be gone. But then we wouldn't be near the bottom, relying on an unproven hail Mary hire.
EXACTLY right. If we didnt wanna be a stepping stone, he wouldnt have hired a young guy w no experience at all as a coordinator or head coach. Id worry more about Beamer leaving than Chadwell

I have heard he will retire at the end of his current contract, June 2026.

2025 is shaping up as a make or break season for Beamer
2025?!?!! I hope not. Because 2024 is gonna be brutal. If back to back 4-8 seasons occur while the “other guy” is going to BCS bowls at a Group of 5 school, Id hope it never gets to 2025.

**BTW in 2025 Ray did us no favors again, by scheduling Virginia Tech in Atlanta to open, along w Clemson and Coastal Carolina. And SEC is probably going to 9 conference games in 25. Our brutal SEC schedule just isnt hard enough for Ray, so unless Beamer rights this ship, 25 could be a 3-9 season

I'm not saying this would be a stepping stone for him, only that if I got that vibe in an interview I'd pass. I hear ya on being successful here though and it is important to be headed in the right direction. But again if I'm Ray, I'm wanting to avoid having to make another hire in the next few years... especially if my years here are winding down

2025?!?!! I hope not. Because 2024 is gonna be brutal. If back to back 4-8 seasons occur while the “other guy” is going to BCS bowls at a Group of 5 school, Id hope it never gets to 2025.

**BTW in 2025 Ray did us no favors again, by scheduling Virginia Tech in Atlanta to open, along w Clemson and Coastal Carolina. And SEC is probably going to 9 conference games in 25. Our brutal SEC schedule just isnt hard enough for Ray, so unless Beamer rights this ship, 25 could be a 3-9 season
There are too many "Mr. Nice Guys" at our beloved university. There needs to be more "George Steinbrenner" types to win.

There are too many "Mr. Nice Guys" at our beloved university. There needs to be more "George Steinbrenner" types to win.
Yep and it wont happen. All the good ole boys loved Tanners baseball trophies so much they made him AD and football has been in decline ever since.

Ok so if Oregon does not have a ton of opt outs...I guess yall think liberty wins?...full strength oregon wins by 30

Ok so if Oregon does not have a ton of opt outs...I guess yall think liberty wins?...full strength oregon wins by 30
Doubtful. Again, Liberty is a roster full of recruiting classes ranked 100-130ty range. Oregon has future pros and lots of SEC transfers. What could Chadwell do with Oregons roster? Probably in the playoffs.

Full rosters no opt outs, Oregon probably wins by 24

Doubtful. Again, Liberty is a roster full of recruiting classes ranked 100-130ty range. Oregon has future pros and lots of SEC transfers. What could Chadwell do with Oregons roster? Probably in the playoffs.

Full rosters no opt outs, Oregon probably wins by 24
24? 30? LOL. It won't be anywhere near that close. If it is, South Carolina needs to bite the bullet and fire Nepo Baby Beamer immediately, just like Florida State did Willie Taggart after only 2 seasons to hire Mike Norvell. This season Oregon beat Colorado by 36, Stanford by 36, Utah by 29, California by 44, Arizona State by 36 and Oregon State by 24. Those teams all have a roster full of P5-talented recruits, some who will probably play in the NFL.

24? 30? LOL. It won't be anywhere near that close. If it is, South Carolina needs to bite the bullet and fire Nepo Baby Beamer immediately, just like Florida State did Willie Taggart after only 2 seasons to hire Mike Norvell. This season Oregon beat Colorado by 36, Stanford by 36, Utah by 29, California by 44, Arizona State by 36 and Oregon State by 24. Those teams all have a roster full of P5-talented recruits, some who will probably play in the NFL.

Welp guess we will see then. Chadwell has a history of beating teams with far more talented rosters so who knows. But today, Vegas has the odds at Oregon by 14.5, and we all know Vegas is usually accurate. So guess you better go lay down a MASSIVE amount on Oregon right? That should be easy money to say Oregon only has to beat Chadwell by 14.5. Oregon would beat us by at least 28

Welp guess we will see then. Chadwell has a history of beating teams with far more talented rosters so who knows. But today, Vegas has the odds at Oregon by 14.5, and we all know Vegas is usually accurate. So guess you better go lay down a MASSIVE amount on Oregon right? That should be easy money to say Oregon only has to beat Chadwell by 14.5. Oregon would beat us by at least 28
Very true, BUC. Chadwell is a VERY good coach. It would not shock me one bit if Liberty is around the spread. And if they are, all we can do is shake our heads at our beloved university for going with a NEPO Baby cheerleader over Chadwell.

Very true, BUC. Chadwell is a VERY good coach. It would not shock me one bit if Liberty is around the spread. And if they are, all we can do is shake our heads at our beloved university for going with a NEPO Baby cheerleader over Chadwell.
One factor will be preparation time. Chadwells offense is a shotgun option variant so Oregon will have a month to prep rather than the usual 6 days

One HUGE factor will be opt outs. I hesitate to pick spreads until we know which players are even playing.

Remember our bowl last year?

Chadwell's rushing attack is number 1 in the nation. I won't say they are "pass happy". BUT, still, their quarterback is ranked number 3 in the nation in terms of "passing efficiency". He has thrown 31 touchdown passes and only 5 interceptions, which is about as good as you can get from the number one rushing team in the nation. Chadwell is up with the times as far as what's important to win in college football these days.

Chadwell's rushing attack is number 1 in the nation. I won't say they are "pass happy". BUT, still, their quarterback is ranked number 3 in the nation in terms of "passing efficiency". He has thrown 31 touchdown passes and only 5 interceptions, which is about as good as you can get from the number one rushing team in the nation. Chadwell is up with the times as far as what's important to win in college football these days.
His teams at every stop have had similar numbers. I don’t know if its all scheme, coaching or probably a mix, but that offense is a machine and I wish we had it. His defenses were usually great also, but his long time DC Chad Staggs is at GA State right now.

But damn, leading the nation in rushing and throwing 31 TDs with 5 ints, thats a machine of an offense

I like CSB and support him. However, it would take more than a debate on FGF and/or other Message Boards for our AD, Athletic Dept and our University to hire a winning football coach.

Our staff is best in Practicing Politics than Hiring Winning Coaches at football. Just like Gregg Marshall was never hired to be our head basketball coach. Can't understand why other than Women's Basketball We aren't committed to Winning Esp in football. It truly is frustrating and discouraging, but I have learned to accept it.

Chadwell by our BOT, and/or University Personnel, isn't considered good enough to be a fit for our University. Our BOT and University Personnel aren't committed to winning championships in College Football.

It is tough to stand by and watch other programs faltering, terminating Assistant Coaches and hiring New Assistant Coaches to bring Hope and Enthusiasm to their Programs.
I am sure I will be harshly criticized by other FGF subscribers. I like CSB and I would like to see him Succeed, But the Definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing when you aren't Winning games.
Everyone loses some players to the Portal. But we seem to lose to many of our best players to the portal in the last 2 years. We haven't made up our losses by the players we gained through the portal.

Someone needs to stop the bleeding we are experiencing from the Portal. This year proved we can't take those portal losses and be competitive in the SEC.

I hope CSB figures it out for his sake, the Team's, Our University's and Our Fanbases Sake.

The guy Ray said no to just won his 5th conference championship at 4 different schools as #24 13-0 Liberty is finishing off NM State (who blew out Auburn 2 weeks ago) to win Conference USA.

Chadwell conf championships
D2 North Greenville x 1 2010
FCS Charlleston Southern x 2 2015/2016
FBS Coastal Carolina x 1 2020
FBS Liberaty x 1 2023

**He also was OC at CSU in 2005 when they won a 3rd one

And yes, Hugh Freeze coacbed LU last year. And left, and Chadwell had to convince LU players not to portal out. Appears he did quite well. While we lose players like a sinking ship.

And he just turned down Mississippi State to stay at Liberty.

Ray Tanner should resign over this one. We had an up and coming star and he said no, to hire a 20 year position coach.
But we got Beamer!!!

Haha incorrect. Lots heard of him when he landed GameDay at Coastal Carolina and beat #9 BYU. All of FCS heard of him when he was at lil ole CSU beating App St, Citadel and taking #1 FCS dynasty NDSU into OT.

But yes, we was not YET a true national hot name in coaching searches bc it was well known he wanted to stay in this part of the country and never reached out much.

Meaning WE had a chance to land a future star who now is on the radar and too big for our next opening. Which he wouldnt take anyway after Ray shunned him

NO one is talking about Chadwell except a small group on some Gamecock message boards.

This isn't Coastal beating BYU.

He is not coming here. He's never coming here. Lou Holtz isn't coming back either. Both have as much chance to coach here.

Reactions: tngamecock#
I like CSB and support him. However, it would take more than a debate on FGF and/or other Message Boards for our AD, Athletic Dept and our University to hire a winning football coach.

Our staff is best in Practicing Politics than Hiring Winning Coaches at football. Just like Gregg Marshall was never hired to be our head basketball coach. Can't understand why other than Women's Basketball We aren't committed to Winning Esp in football. It truly is frustrating and discouraging, but I have learned to accept it.

Chadwell by our BOT, and/or University Personnel, isn't considered good enough to be a fit for our University. Our BOT and University Personnel aren't committed to winning championships in College Football.

It is tough to stand by and watch other programs faltering, terminating Assistant Coaches and hiring New Assistant Coaches to bring Hope and Enthusiasm to their Programs.
I am sure I will be harshly criticized by other FGF subscribers. I like CSB and I would like to see him Succeed, But the Definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing when you aren't Winning games.
Everyone loses some players to the Portal. But we seem to lose to many of our best players to the portal in the last 2 years. We haven't made up our losses by the players we gained through the portal.

Someone needs to stop the bleeding we are experiencing from the Portal. This year proved we can't take those portal losses and be competitive in the SEC.

I hope CSB figures it out for his sake, the Team's, Our University's and Our Fanbases Sake.
We were very lucky to beat East Carolina and Vanderbilt (at home) by field goals in the last minute during Beamer's first season here. And anyone who watched the Jax State game this season knows we were fortunate to win that game. Beamer has had a weak overall staff here from the get-go. Why? I don't know. I suspect things are not going to be any different in 2024 nor in 2025. From the BOT on down, the hiring authorities don't take things seriously. Dabo does not mess around when things go sour. He has no problem firing staff. He fired Kevin Steele after the West Virginia bowl fiasco. Florida State cut their losses with Willy Taggart after 2 seasons. They'd seen enough. Look at Florida State these past 2 seasons. That program is on a roll. The FSU hiring authorities are serious people. It may take Gamecock fans marching to a BOT meeting and figuratively taking that bunch by their collars and saying "We've had enough and aren't going to take it any more. Light a fire under some rear ends.". It's frustrating watching our rival take action when things go south for them, while our guys look to be twiddling their thumbs.

Im not saying Chadwell would have been the savior we needed. But our BOT needs to be restructured and we need a new athlete director. Tanner is a good baseball coach but he is out of his element as an a/d. Until we do that what yiu see on the football field is what we get.

Im not saying Chadwell would have been the savior we needed. But our BOT needs to be restructured and we need a new athlete director. Tanner is a good baseball coach but he is out of his element as an a/d. Until we do that what yiu see on the football field is what we get.

There was a significant effort to restructure the BOT last legislative session (not for athletic reasons) and it fell apart because most people didn't reach out to their legislators to demand it actually happen.

I emailed every state senator and house member about the issue- including sending emails to their personal or business accounts (the ones I could find). I had a few responses. Most said they weren't hearing from many people about the issue.

We had a real chance to put in place rules that will not allow people to serve on the board for 40+ years- which is a disgrace- (one current member graduated USC when Eisenhower was president) but not enough people cared to even reach out to their elected officials.

We deserve what we get.

There was a significant effort to restructure the BOT last legislative session (not for athletic reasons) and it fell apart because most people didn't reach out to their legislators to demand it actually happen.

I emailed every state senator and house member about the issue- including sending emails to their personal or business accounts (the ones I could find). I had a few responses. Most said they weren't hearing from many people about the issue.

We had a real chance to put in place rules that will not allow people to serve on the board for 40+ years- which is a disgrace- (one current member graduated USC when Eisenhower was president) but not enough people cared to even reach out to their elected officials.

We deserve what we get.
Did not know anything about that.

Here is what I do know: there's a movement to split FBS schools into 2 divisions: the "haves" and "have nots". Guess where we'd fall? We have poor leadership at the BOT. Our AD is a pathetic excuse for competence and leadership. If we had a "Mike McGee-type" AD, I would feel more secure. Gamecock fans better wake up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT