ADVERTISEMENT

Well 2-4 is fun; Jamey Chadwell is 6-0 in yr 1, glad we didnt hire him!! UPDATE 2-5 is fun!

Bucs90

Sep 22, 2019
We arent going to a bowl this year, we will be 5-7 in year 3.

Meanwhile, the guy we told no is 6-0 in year 1, and will probably win a conference championship at Liberty, just like he did at Coastal, Charleston Southern and NGU. Glad we dodged that bullet Ray!!!

Reactions: gamecock stock

Meanwhile, the guy we told no is 6-0 in year 1, and will probably win a conference championship at Liberty, just like he did at Coastal, Charleston Southern and NGU. Glad we dodged that bullet Ray!!!
Nothing against him, but let me know when goes undefeated In the sec

Reactions: cockofdawn
“Nothing against him, but let me know when goes undefeated In the sec”

^^^^^^^

Haha. Jeez. THAT is exactly why we didnt hire him, people saying “he doesnt have SEC experience”; Neither did Saban when LSU hired him. He just might go undefeated in the SEC one day, but it wont be with us because we wouldnt hire the absolute obvious choice when it was right in front of us. Proven HC winning confidence rings at D2, FCS, FBS, 20+ years coaching in this State building relationships with the high school coaches. Yeah, but “no SEC experience”. Is today the experience that makes a coach better than one who does nothing but win everywhere he goes?

He was the one I wanted because he had won at multiple places. But our stupid BOT were lobbied by former players who pitched Beamer to them. And they fell for it. The fix was in for Beamer. SMH

Reactions: DarkHorse2001
“Nothing against him, but let me know when goes undefeated In the sec”

^^^^^^^

Haha. Jeez. THAT is exactly why we didnt hire him, people saying “he doesnt have SEC experience”; Neither did Saban when LSU hired him. He just might go undefeated in the SEC one day, but it wont be with us because we wouldnt hire the absolute obvious choice when it was right in front of us. Proven HC winning confidence rings at D2, FCS, FBS, 20+ years coaching in this State building relationships with the high school coaches. Yeah, but “no SEC experience”. Is today the experience that makes a coach better than one who does nothing but win everywhere he goes?
Well, I'm not saying he couldn't or wouldn't, I'd just like to see rather than assume. We had one of the greatest coaches in football and had 3 good seasons and 1 decent season out of about 10. So excuse my pessimism about any one coming here and lighting up the world. It is what it is.

2 so far, vandy and a patsy still on the schedule means 4 at least.

It is hard to see where that other win will come from.
Jacksonville State (The Other Gamecocks) should be another win, but it may depend on how much grit is left in this team by then. I do expect Clemson will get their revenge on us this year, ala Tennessee.

Jacksonville State (The Other Gamecocks) should be another win, but it may depend on how much grit is left in this team by then. I do expect Clemson will get their revenge on us this year, ala Tennessee.

Good point. If mizzpu and a&m go badly, the team may not be very emotionally invested in the rest of the year.

Regardless how the season goes, Beamer must do a better job at the portal for next season.

This is critical. Without rattler, we need to improve with the portal, not take another step back.

Keeping this recruiting class together while winning the NIL off-season will likely determine Beamers future.

SEC coaches who got their 1st SEC HC job without ever coaching a single day in the SEC before:
Mark Stoops
Billy Napier
Nick Saban
Les Miles
Urban Meyer
Steve Spurrier

Theres others. But “he aint got SEC experience” is the reason many gave for hiring someone who had never been a head coach or coordinator, at any level, over a proven winner as HC at 3 different levels

So did Billy Napier and hes 2-0 against us
I think we are in agreement. I thought that was a BS reason people used to justify not even considering Chadwell. The bottom line is he knows what he is doing with the talent he has. We did not have that in Muschamp then NOR in Beamer now.

I think we are in agreement. I thought that was a BS reason people used to justify not even considering Chadwell. The bottom line is he knows what he is doing with the talent he has. We did not have that in Muschamp then NOR in Beamer now.
Oh, yeah, agree. Others knocked Chadwells schedule. Obviously he was in a conference vs D2, FCS, Sun Belt, but he won them all w his roster of players of that level also

IMO, the odds of Chadwell ever coaching at USC is pretty low at least for several more years. Beamer's buyout is $17mil next year. Chadwell has a $4mil per year contract with Liberty until 2030. Liberty had to pay Coastal close to a million just to get Chadwell.

Hence, we're probably looking at a number north of $20mil if we were to pick him up at some point next year. And all of that is before any contract Chadwell would have with us which would probably be in the $7mil a year range. That's a lot of money for another gamble. It probably would be better spent getting talent on the field.

Reactions: PaleoCock
IMO, the odds of Chadwell ever coaching at USC is pretty low at least for several more years. Beamer's buyout is $17mil next year. Chadwell has a $4mil contract with Liberty until 2030. Liberty had to pay Coastal close to a million just to get Chadwell.

Hence, we're probably looking at a number north of $20mil if we were to pick him up at some point next year. And all of that is before any contract Chadwell would have with us which would probably be in the $7mil a year range. That's a lot of money for another gamble. It probably would be better spent getting talent on the field.
"It probably would be better spent getting talent on the field." How does that work? Do we have an account in the Cayman Islands, create a front that operates as an athletics apparel company, then launder money destined for the athletics department and use that to "endorse" our players?

Seriously, I thought what NIL deals players could get was up to the private sector, not the AD budget of a public university. How exactly do you see us spending money to buy players under the rules of NIL?

Reactions: Ward Jr
"It probably would be better spent getting talent on the field." How does that work? Do we have an account in the Cayman Islands, create a front that operates as an athletics apparel company, then launder money destined for the athletics department and use that to "endorse" our players?

Seriously, I thought what NIL deals players could get was up to the private sector, not the AD budget of a public university. How exactly do you see us spending money to buy players under the rules of NIL?

From everything I've read, it continues to be the wild west. Money flows in both directions (university-corporations) with little to no guardrails. The same type of glad handing and collusion we see in politics with lobbyists. They just have the maintain the illusion of separation via creative accounting.

Reactions: bayrooster
IMO, the odds of Chadwell ever coaching at USC is pretty low at least for several more years. Beamer's buyout is $17mil next year. Chadwell has a $4mil per year contract with Liberty until 2030. Liberty had to pay Coastal close to a million just to get Chadwell.

There's no way the University is going to pay anything close to that for Chadwell when he was an option during the Beamer hire. It's far too embarassing for the Athetic Department and Tanner after the Muschamp fiasco. Chadwell will be the Gregg Marshall of our football program.

I'm not sure Chadwell would be a "gamble". He has won at 3 different schools currently winning at a 4th. As the old adage goes: "One time can be luck and two times can be a coincidence. But three times makes a trend". Like I said, he is currently winning at his 4th school.

Each SEC school received $55 million in 2021. With Texas and Oklahoma coming in, the payouts will be boosted to no less than $70 million per school, probably closer to $75 million. The money to buyout is there.

It won't happen. But to quote another old adage: "Where there's a will, there's a way".

Reactions: Ward Jr
Totally. They slid that extension in when everyone was riding a high at the end of last season. Beamer received a $4mil a year raise and his contract was extended through 2027. The buyout is 65% of the contract. Yikes! He's probably our coach for at least five years.
So, no lessons learned by anyone? We are Carolina!

There's no way the University is going to pay anything close to that for Chadwell when he was an option during the Beamer hire. It's far too embarassing for the Athetic Department and Tanner after the Muschamp fiasco. Chadwell will be the Gregg Marshall of our football program.
Sure will. Hes gonna win the AAC a few times at Liberty, then get hired somewhere like West Virginia or Va Tech and make them a top 10 team again

Winning at Liberty is not the same as playing an SEC schedule
This again. Lots of the SECs best HCs had never coached in the SEC when they got hired. And Chadwell won championships at Charleston Southern, NGU, Coastal and soon Liberty….with players who were appropriate for those conferences. Its not like he had SEC players winning the Big South. He wins with players with talent levels generally the same as his opponents, at 3 different levels. Thats absolutely proof of a great coach. As they said about Bear Bryant, “he can beat yours with his, or beat his with yours”. And NGU, CSU and Coastal were all very average programs before he won championships with them.

And we passed on him, for a coach who had never even been a coordinator.

This again. Lots of the SECs best HCs had never coached in the SEC when they got hired. And Chadwell won championships at Charleston Southern, NGU, Coastal and soon Liberty….with players who were appropriate for those conferences. Its not like he had SEC players winning the Big South. He wins with players with talent levels generally the same as his opponents, at 3 different levels. Thats absolutely proof of a great coach. As they said about Bear Bryant, “he can beat yours with his, or beat his with yours”. And NGU, CSU and Coastal were all very average programs before he won championships with them.

And we passed on him, for a coach who had never even been a coordinator.
Beamer was a feel good hire to keep fans in the stands. Since he never was a coach or coordinator no one can say he was hired for his past success. The guy is a cheerleader with no coaching experience plain and simple. As long as the fans keep filling up the stadium, the BOT and Tanner couldn’t care less about wins.

Beamer was a feel good hire to keep fans in the stands. Since he never was a coach or coordinator no one can say he was hired for his past success. The guy is a cheerleader with no coaching experience plain and simple. As long as the fans keep filling up the stadium, the BOT and Tanner couldn’t care less about wins.
He's a very well paid cheerleader.

Reactions: uscwatson21
I think Tanner thought he could copy the Dabo hire, who also was never a coordinator. But give the devil his due, Dabo was able to hire some incredible coordinators who turned their program around. We havent been able to, under Muschamp or Beamer.

What frustrated me about us not hiring Chadwell was that Chadwell was a proven OC and HC, and he had a very loyal DC Chad Staggs who went with him at NGU, CSU and Coastal, and the defenses at all 3 programs became outstanding within their level of play. So we probably woulda got him as DC also. Staggs is in year 1 at Georgia St in 2023 and they are 5-1. Remember seeing his defense in 2020 when they absolutely wrecked Zach Wilson and BYU at Coastal Carolina on ESPN GameDay?

SEC coaches who got their 1st SEC HC job without ever coaching a single day in the SEC before:
Mark Stoops
Billy Napier
Nick Saban
Les Miles
Urban Meyer
Steve Spurrier

Theres others. But “he aint got SEC experience” is the reason many gave for hiring someone who had never been a head coach or coordinator, at any level, over a proven winner as HC at 3 different levels
I count four in that group that at least had what today would be termed Power Five head coaching experience. If we're going to do a comparison, let's do an ACTUAL comparison.

I'm not sure Chadwell would be a "gamble". He has won at 3 different schools currently winning at a 4th. As the old adage goes: "One time can be luck and two times can be a coincidence. But three times makes a trend". Like I said, he is currently winning at his 4th school.

Each SEC school received $55 million in 2021. With Texas and Oklahoma coming in, the payouts will be boosted to no less than $70 million per school, probably closer to $75 million. The money to buyout is there.

It won't happen. But to quote another old adage: "Where there's a will, there's a way".
Vanderbilt has been very successful at taking a continual beating for the money. Looks like we’re following their path. Why not?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT