ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson - A lack of self awarness

Man I hate Clemson too, but these people weren’t Clemson fans lol. Just a bunch of pissed off redneck scum.

Looks like First Amendment Rights to me? Whether you or I agree with this display, as long as there is no violence, it is the right of these 'rednecks' to do exactly what they're doing, expressing free speech in the form of some cloth (flag), some others find offensive. Maybe this will hurt their recruiting? Who knows?

Man I hate Clemson too, but these people weren’t Clemson fans lol. Just a bunch of pissed off redneck scum.
Obviously Clemson fans. The driver is toothless and the passenger is a billy goat. So Obvious! o_O

Looks like First Amendment Rights to me? Whether you or I agree with this display, as long as there is no violence, it is the right of these 'rednecks' to do exactly what they're doing, expressing free speech in the form of some cloth (flag), some others find offensive. Maybe this will hurt their recruiting? Who knows?
They absolutely have the right to protest peacefully. And I also have the right to call them ignorant rednecks for doing it.
#FirstAmendment

You know the time when you arrive at a social gathering and it becomes clear relatively early that for whatever reasons you don't really belong ?
See where I'm going here ?

They absolutely have the right to protest peacefully. And I also have the right to call them ignorant rednecks for doing it.
#FirstAmendment

I didn't dispute that. I merely stated that they have the right to do what they did. You're free to call them anything you want. Where did you assume I thought you had no right to call them anything? They may consider themselves something else? You could assume they are rednecks based on their actions. Do you KNOW that they are, or is that what you believe based on personal convictions?

Again, I have zero issues with your thoughts or rights to call them anything that you like.

That's one of the things that makes this country so great my friend.

Along these same lines and i am not for or against the Confederate flag so thats not the question here but how can NASCAR tell anyone what to wear or fly at a race?
How can they pick and choose what they find offensive?
Not sure how that is legal

Along these same lines and i am not for or against the Confederate flag so thats not the question here but how can NASCAR tell anyone what to wear or fly at a race?

I don't care for NASCAR and I don't like the Confederate Flag and what it represents. But, I tend to agree with you, I don't see how NASCAR has a right to tell people what they can do and not do.

Because they are a company in the business of making money and entertainment. The property is private and they have the right to dictate what can or can’t be done on their property.

Really not any different than any school in America stating that certain clothes with political statements, alcohol advertising, etc... is not allowed (and they are “public).

In a society that values free speech and the marketplace of ideas (hopefully, we do), I think we need to urge people to do 2 things: 1) do your best to be polite and kind to each other, and 2) prepare to be offended by the words and actions of those who refuse to do #1.

If you feel offended, embrace it because that's what living in a free country feels like.

Because they are a company in the business of making money and entertainment. The property is private and they have the right to dictate what can or can’t be done on their property.
Sure. This is similar to the argument NFL owners, at the urging of many fans, initially used to prohibit their employees from disrespecting the flag and anthem. The NFL owners were within their right to establish certain standards of behavior of their uniformed employees. The owners did not want to risk customers being offended by their employees. Here, NASCAR is going one step further to make sure customers are not offended by other customers. But, of course, no offense exists in a vacuum. For every customer who might be offended by a t-shirt sporting a Confederate flag, there is, no doubt, a Confederate-flag-t-shirt wearing customer who will be offended by the NASCAR official at the gate who denies him entry into the race. It will be interesting to see how strictly NASCAR enforces the new rule once fans return to races and if they capitulate as quickly as the NFL owners did.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
That's fine, its their decision. I just want to see camera crews in the Talladega infield for the fall race when they tell them to take the flags down. That's gonna be interesting.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

Absolutely. I always appreciate when people use their 1st Amendment rights to let me know they are worthless scum. It makes life a lot easier when you don’t have to guess.

I can’t imagine this helps Clem’s recruiting. These people make it look like being on an island that’s surrounded by shark infested waters up there for any black person that steps off campus.

Sure. This is similar to the argument NFL owners, at the urging of many fans, initially used to prohibit their employees from disrespecting the flag and anthem. The NFL owners were within their right to establish certain standards of behavior of their uniformed employees. The owners did not want to risk customers being offended by their employees. Here, NASCAR is going one step further to make sure customers are not offended by other customers. But, of course, no offense exists in a vacuum. For every customer who might be offended by a t-shirt sporting a Confederate flag, there is, no doubt, a Confederate-flag-t-shirt wearing customer who will be offended by the NASCAR official at the gate who denies him entry into the race. It will be interesting to see how strictly NASCAR enforces the new rule once fans return to races and if they capitulate as quickly as the NFL owners did.

Sadly in America, it is usually the voice of the few that trumps the rights of the many. I agree that dictating what fans can do is a two edged sword and someone will be “offended”. I just wish we could all get past what offends us, hurts our feelings, or what kind of political statement one wants to make and move on.

If people want to ride up and down Clemson with Confederate flags or later on BLM’s signs, do so with respect for your fellow man. Fellow Americans!

I personally think one is just as hurtful as the other because of sides being taken versus working through the social issues that exist.

Reactions: Brutal Rooster
Absolutely. I always appreciate when people use their 1st Amendment rights to let me know they are worthless scum. It makes life a lot easier when you don’t have to guess.

I can’t imagine this helps Clem’s recruiting. These people make it look like being on an island that’s surrounded by shark infested waters up there for any black person that steps off campus.

It doesn’t seem to bother them too much when they get a new car or a Lakehouse or $$$$ to play and the chance to be drafted. Maybe those things ease a persons convictions.

Reactions: ToddFlanders
Hey, look who was leading the parade in their truck.

a7c956a5-082a-4f70-a7c4-a2954ea27dfe-jpeg.118864

(yes, of course I know it's photoshopped. just having a little fun)

Who said it was illegal?

#FirstAmendment
Ideally, we have equal rights to eviscerate one another verbally. I'm not certain we aren't trending away from that. I'm sensing that we are.

Reactions: Lurker123
I don't care for NASCAR and I don't like the Confederate Flag and what it represents. But, I tend to agree with you, I don't see how NASCAR has a right to tell people what they can do and not do.

The Confederate flag was hijacked by racists a long time ago.Ceased to be about history long ago.It only was raised over the state capital in the 60's when the fight over integration was going on.Kind of an in your face move.
On another note, every person commenting on whether slavery was the sole reason the south fought the war,should go to Gettysburg and re-walk Picketts Charge.No way those country boys walked across that open field to attack Union soldiers behind a stone wall for some rich plantation owners slaves.It had to be for something else.

I didn't dispute that. I merely stated that they have the right to do what they did. You're free to call them anything you want. Where did you assume I thought you had no right to call them anything? They may consider themselves something else? You could assume they are rednecks based on their actions. Do you KNOW that they are, or is that what you believe based on personal convictions?

Again, I have zero issues with your thoughts or rights to call them anything that you like.

That's one of the things that makes this country so great my friend.

Personal conviction mostly. About 95% of people I’ve meet, living in SC my entire life, who fly that flag are doing it for the wrong reasons. Maybe those people aren’t redneck losers, but probably so. Maybe I’m being harsh and shouldn’t rush to judgement...but few times have I been proven wrong when seeing that flag with an individual. Anyway, thanks for replying in a respectful way and having a good dialogue. That doesn’t seem to be happening much anymore.

The Confederate flag was hijacked by racists a long time ago.Ceased to be about history long ago.It only was raised over the state capital in the 60's when the fight over integration was going on.Kind of an in your face move.
On another note, every person commenting on whether slavery was the sole reason the south fought the war,should go to Gettysburg and re-walk Picketts Charge.No way those country boys walked across that open field to attack Union soldiers behind a stone wall for some rich plantation owners slaves.It had to be for something else.

I have visited Gettysburg and I have often wondered about Picketts Charge. It doesn't seem that anyone would have done that, I'm like you I think it was for something else.

Personal conviction mostly. About 95% of people I’ve meet, living in SC my entire life, who fly that flag are doing it for the wrong reasons. Maybe those people aren’t redneck losers, but probably so. Maybe I’m being harsh and shouldn’t rush to judgement...but few times have I been proven wrong when seeing that flag with an individual. Anyway, thanks for replying in a respectful way and having a good dialogue. That doesn’t seem to be happening much anymore.

It's much easier to be civil. The primary issue in this country TODAY is the inability to have an honest, open conversation with people that are of differing beliefs. I don't speak my mind very often because I'm afraid someone will call me a racist or some other term. Truth is humans are inherently more inclined to socialize and live around those that look like they do. Pretty much has been proven over history. Does that mean we can't get along? Hell no, but if people cannot express their opinion with honesty, then we're doomed to dissolving our differences. These are my opinions of course, but I've been around for a long time, and the current state of free speech in America is in dire straights right now.

There will be an ending point to this ultra PC shit. Believe me when Bill Maher and other liberal entertainers start getting shit, they will lead the push back to put parameters on the oft offended in this country.

Finally, many Americans have lost the ability to laugh at themselves/ourselves. Where people used to laugh at differences, now you're labeled something derogatory.

The term'racist' is thrown around so often today, I don't even know what racism is anymore. People scream so much about racism, it's like Peter and the wolf. Calling everyone you disagree with a racist is beginning to fall on deaf ears. Watch Don Lemon on CNN for one week and count the times he says RACIST or RACISM about people he disagrees with. He's the biggest racist on TV and I don't think he even realizes what he is? Morgan Freeman called him out in an interview a while back about RACISM.

Look, we've had a Black President, thousands of Black entertainers, movie stars, and athletes. If this country had institutional racism, much if the above would be IMPOSSIBLE. Racism exists, but it's not exclusively 'owned' by one race, creed, or color.

Reactions: ClemDent
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT