ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching is only 10% of what makes an excellent team

gamecox4982

Nov 16, 2004
its about the talent on the field, period. Most everyone runs the same offensive plays and defensive schemes. However, when you have 3 to 4 NFL level players on both sides of the ball making plays, that’s what sets teams apart. Bottom line is, until we recruit these types of players it doesn’t make a damn who coaches the team. Need to pony up the money and hire the best recruiters in the business. If the money is right they will come regardless where they are now. The biggest question is. Is USC BOT, President, AD and mostly their deep pock supporters committed to pony up the money? The investment I believe is well worth it.

Reactions: PC31
its about the talent on the field, period. Most everyone runs the same offensive plays and defensive schemes. However, when you have 3 to 4 NFL level players on both sides of the ball making plays, that’s what sets teams apart. Bottom line is, until we recruit these types of players it doesn’t make a damn who coaches the team. Need to pony up the money and hire the best recruiters in the business. If the money is right they will come regardless where they are now. The biggest question is. Is USC BOT, President, AD and mostly their deep pock supporters committed to pony up the money? The investment I believe is well worth it.

I thought Muschamp was considered a TOP RECRUITER? Is his reputation in that regard all smoke and mirrors? I will say his 3 recruiting classes at USC are very uninspiring.

USCALUMNI

We had and have talent......what we have not had a lot of over the years is heart. To have a scholarship at South Carolina should require that.

Reactions: 67gamecock
Maybe we can get some those Virginia recruiting classes then

Virginia was averaging about a 60th ranked recruiting class the last 4 years. The talent argument went out the window with yesterday’s bowls

Let's face it we were not prepared to play Sat. and we have to open next year in the same place. The fans were ready it was the team who decided it wasn't important and let us down without blinking an eye. The coaches made game losing decisions so the bottom line they had better be lighting up the phones to recruits with damage control tactics.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Other than BCS Bowl games it's not so much about talent than who wants to be there. Clearly demonstrated in lots of bowl games. Just ask Auburn last year in their bowl game against UCF. No way UCF had more athletes but Auburn simply didn't want to be there after coming so close to a BCS berth. I honestly think our boys had no desire to play a game four days after Xmas in none other than Charlotte whereas UVA did want to make amends for the VT choke they had and the bowl blowout to Navy last year. In a regular season game I still think we'd beat UVA eight out of ten times.

Coaching staff makes a huge difference. If it didn't Alabama and Clemson would not put so much into getting and keeping a large staff. I would say 60 percent goes to staff and preparation. The rest guest to mind set and talent of the team.

It is the coaches’ job to put the kids in the position to make the plays (preparation and play calling). It is the player’s job to make those plays (talent). One cannot be maximized over the other.

In little league and middle school, talent wins. The tide starts to shift a bit in high school, but most of the time it is talent that wins. Coaching becomes of a major importance at the college level.

You don't carry a Jackass to the Kentucky derby. If we don't start getting studs we are not going to win the east. The man that can sell popsicles to eskimos can't land a stud RB. He's missed on every Blue Chip Running back since he's been here.
I actually think Mon could be close to being a stud if they'd play his ass.

Mon and AJ are both better than Tyson and Rico. Tbh it’s not close either. Mon and AJ actually run hard.
I was wondering when he would get in the game Sat. if even asked people around me if he was hurt as soon as he got in he ripped off about a 20 yd run. Rico looked timid.

I actually think Mon could be close to being a stud if they'd play his ass.
Mon and AJ are both better than Tyson and Rico. Tbh it’s not close either. Mon and AJ actually run hard.
We need RBs that will be drafted in the first 4 rounds. We don't have that on roster. And we are not recruiting at that level at RB position.

Well the RB coach IS the QB dad.

You’d think he would want the RBs to look good too. Someone seems to forget them daily.

We have no plan at RB. One game it’s Mon, another it’s Rico, the next it’s AJ, then Tyson.

Early in the year I was pro Williams. Dowdle hasn’t been the same for the better part of 2 years. Lately I think Mon has the best upside yet we give him so few carries.

AJ always runs hard but he’s on defense now.

You’d think he would want the RBs to look good too. Someone seems to forget them daily.

We have no plan at RB. One game it’s Mon, another it’s Rico, the next it’s AJ, then Tyson.

Early in the year I was pro Williams. Dowdle hasn’t been the same for the better part of 2 years. Lately I think Mon has the best upside yet we give him so few carries.

AJ always runs hard but he’s on defense now.
Denson is hands down the best back how they decide on who starts is a puzzle when I can see that and they can't they need to send me the check. Muschamp is high on players who practice well while the one who can help us win is on the sidelines dancing.

Denson is hands down the best back how they decide on who starts is a puzzle when I can see that and they can't they need to send me the check. Muschamp is high on players who practice well while the one who can help us win is on the sidelines dancing.

Only 13 rushes the whole game if you take away the 6 Bentley runs. Without going back to the film, which I have no desire to do, I have no clue how many of those were designed runs.

No balance. Instead of all gas no brakes our motto should be all pass no run.

I played on a lot talented teams and the majority of them had bad coaching! Talent is worthless on a football field if the coaches don’t know what they’re doing, and the other team is more disciplined and ready to play!

Fenwick didn't look bad when he was in....Caleb Kinlaw....he's never seen a snap I think Valentine was hurt I think or maybe just redshirted. You have a team full of football players find a RB it happens all the time.
Ok. To my experience, if a skill position player redshirts for anything other than injury, then they're not difference makers. That's not to say they can't be solid contributors. Just that they aren't the game breaker we need. Basically, I wouldn't expect them to be much better than what we currently have.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
The troubling thing to me is we never get to see the other guys.

Ok. To my experience, if a skill position player redshirts for anything other than injury, then they're not difference makers. That's not to say they can't be solid contributors. Just that they aren't the game breaker we need. Basically, I wouldn't expect them to be much better than what we currently have.
You are correct. If we had a freshmen Gamebreaker he wouldn't be Redshirted. In the SEC you have to have NFL caliber RBs to win in Atlanta. Spurrier and Holtz could land Blue chip Running backs. I don't understand why Boom can't.

Last edited:
To not be able to scratch a single point against an average ACC team with way lower historical recruiting class rankings and the unwillingless to play backup QBs in obvious game outcome situations is unacceptable and purely on the coaches. Gameday offensive decision making is highly suspect and is rightly criticized especially against a head coach who hasn't proven he can get the job done beyond mediocrity at two major SEC universities.

Being in the SEC you have to beat UGA, Bama. When you at the level talent they have at that RB position.

You are correct. If we had a freshmen Gamebreaker he wouldn't be Redshirted. In the SEC you have to have NFL caliber RBs to win in Atlanta. Spurrier and Holtz could land Blue chip Running backs. I don't understand why Boom can't.
Are you kidding me? Have you seen how we play our rbs? If Tysons hot we immediately yank him. If Denson is hot, same thing. This offense is a joke. Ropers gone so theres 3 people to blame. I thought it was Roper. I was wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT