ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Search

This ignores how much earlier in the process recruiting takes place in baseball.

What? This is troll stretch even for you.

The baseball team is far better shape than what the football team was when Spurrier inherited it. BB was ranked in the Top 10 most of last year and in the Top 20 most of this year with a Top 10 recruiting class on deck.

Also, the Manieri-Spurrier lifecycle doesn't not have to be perfectly linear to succeed.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Like I've seen in other places, all of the experts are saying this is a home run hire, but don't believe them, let's go look at what the message board jockeys are saying!

Like I've seen in other places, all of the experts are saying this is a home run hire, but don't believe them, let's go look at what the message board jockeys are saying!
Even if you have no faith in Ray to do his job, I dont see how anyone can dislike the direction we are taking. Lets say at 67 he's only here a handful of years. That puts us in the ballpark of a new AD making a more stable hire shortly after Ray retires. I'm no fan of Ray's record in football hires or baseball hires but this is kinda like getting a best case scenario with Ray here at least a couple more years.

Do not forget that LSU associate director of program development and recruiting Terry Rooney will join Mainieri at South Carolina as his pitching coach. He is bringing a younger man with plenty of NIL and Portal experience to work beside him. He is also keeping Monte around. Monte is a good recruiter.

Since he's been mentioned, Rooney is a great hire for us. Good pitching coach and has dealt with nil at a big boy school so he knows what to do. Am hearing an offer will be made to another young coach to be a member of the staff that I think would be a fantastic hire if they an get him. Everything I am hearing is good concerning this hire and with the support staff they are trying to bring in. Waiting patiently for the next name to drop.

Kind of obvious why Tanner thinks so highly of Mainieri.
He started coaching LSU in 2008.
In 2008, Mainieri and LSU swept Coach Tanner @ LSU.
In 2009, they won the series 2-1 here and beat him in Hoover.
In 2010 and 2011, our championship years, we did not even face LSU. Hmmmm
In 2012 they won the series 2-1 here again.
That means Mainieri was 8-2 against Ray.

Reactions: usc_nc
Kind of obvious why Tanner thinks so highly of Mainieri.
He started coaching LSU in 2008.
In 2008, Mainieri and LSU swept Coach Tanner @ LSU.
In 2009, they won the series 2-1 here and beat him in Hoover.
In 2010 and 2011, our championship years, we did not even face LSU. Hmmmm
In 2012 they won the series 2-1 here again.
That means Mainieri was 8-2 against Ray.
My first game at Founders Park was LSU coming to town in '09. I remember all the kids yelling Whit's name and wanting to get a picture with him (always a fan favorite) and also this new freshman named Jackie Bradley Jr. LSU would win that day and the national title that season with Mainieri. Of course the next couple years after we picked up a few national titles too. Mainieri did well at Notre Dame but became a household name after winning that title at LSU-especially in the college baseball world. His LSU teams were always tough to beat.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT