ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo Swinney threatens to leave Clemson

He's feeling the same thing Spurrier felt when he left Florida. The fanbase had become jaded and nothing short of winning the NC was ever enough. It's happening the same way at UPC right now. It could turn into the wedge we've been looking for.
Think Spurrier is a rational adult, with a big ego, and understand why we would have been frustrated with the Florida fans. Dabo, on the other hand, is an emotional child in my opinion.

Isn’t his current team and conference an easier job than at Bama and in the SEC? Seems to me that the money would be about the same.

Money is great both places, but Alabama football is like a cult and Dabo is from there. To him, that is the pinnacle of coaching, where Bear Bryant coached.

After being asked about the mistakes his team made in a closer than expected victory, Saban went off on a tangent about the outside expectations the team faces.

“Everybody’s got such a high expectation for what our team should be. I was just happy to see our players be happy about playing a game and winning,” Saban said.

“It really, if you want to know the truth about it, pisses me off when I talk to people that have this expectation like they’re disappointed that we only won the game 14-13 and the way we played. That’s frustrating. You want to talk about something that’s frustrating? That’s frustrating to me, for our players, who play with a lot of heart in the game.”

It was just another staged rant.
Tigernet was involved again. I cant believe Dabo made a click bait headline on Taternet into a legit news story. Seems he was irritated David Hood wrote "When a win feels like a loss".
He just cant resist it to above something so meaningless. But again just like the old rant You have someone from Tigernet setting it up for him to respond to.

HE is the one who wasnt ok with a 14 point win and declined to run the clock out. What is ironic about that is it led to Bentley getting over 500 and Debo over 200 yards on the game on that last drive.

I thought the rule was the clock stops for a first down also. We get a first down with 4 seconds and it doesnt? Has there been any explanation?

Actually, it was aimed at Tigernet's David Hood. There was a lengthy discussion on the site with T'Netters going back and forth about how the win felt like a lose etc. DHood then wrote the big piece on the front page and tweaked a nerve with CDS. He was taking direct aim at DHood and TNet in my opinion.

It was just another staged rant.
Tigernet was involved again. I cant believe Dabo made a click bait headline on Taternet into a legit news story. Seems he was irritated David Hood wrote "When a win feels like a loss".
He just cant resist it to above something so meaningless. But again just like the old rant You have someone from Tigernet setting it up for him to respond to.

HE is the one who wasnt ok with a 14 point win and declined to run the clock out. What is ironic about that is it led to Bentley getting over 500 and Debo over 200 yards on the game on that last drive.

I thought the rule was the clock stops for a first down also. We get a first down with 4 seconds and it doesnt? Has there been any explanation?
To the first point, Dabo knows he has the ACC game to play and he can't afford to limp into the playoff at #4 and play #1 first. He needs to be #2 or #3.

To the 2nd point, they made a decision that it was easier to run the clock out than get the fans back off the field. The timekeeper was from the SEC so it's not home cooking. But the fans stormed the field to save 7 points because Bentley could very well have thrown another TD. I'm sure that was the play call.

Would Alabama have him? I have to believe we're not the only fan base who sees through his shtick. I could see it working at Georgia, but not Alabama.

I know that you all have a hard time swallowing this, but there are a ton of schools including Alabama that would have Dabo very high on their list if the Head Coaching Job was open. Many Alabama fans will tell you , that Dabo is the next guy, and that when Bama calls Dabo will be right there. I don't know, I "hope" that he stays right where he is, and continues to bring in the type of Talent that he is getting. My opinion on coaching changes at the cow college:
  • Coach Venables - Is talking to Texes Tech or one of those schools, and for the first time , seems to be interested. His kid is on the Clemson team, but as a preferred walk-on , I think that he could move without sitting out. I had thought that he was another Bud Foster, and that he wanted to be a DC forever. A teammate of Coach Venables , Kirby Hocutt , is the athletic director there. This job is going to be a tough one to fill and maintain the same level of success. Esso's crystal ball says, 60% chance he goes.
  • Jeff Scott- is as good a recruiter as there is in America and he played at Clemson . I do not know if he is what makes the team go offensively as much as Tony Elliot . If and when Dabo leaves, either Jeff Scott or Tony Elliot will be the next head coach at Clemson. I lean towards that being Jeff Scott, because his recruiting can be done from the head spot as well as it is now. I wonder if there will be a power struggle between Scott and Elliot. If so one of the two may leave at that point. Esso's crystal ball - 80% chance that Jeff Scott stays put at Clemson as long as he thinks he is in the mix for Dabo's slot down the road.
  • Tony Elliot - is the X's and O's guy of the offense and is also a very good recruiter. Also played at Clemson and should have some loyalty there. If Clemson wants a CEO type coach like Dabo, Elliot might be 2nd choice. I could see Radovich trying to name one the Head Guy and the other assistant Head guy. One ,of the two of them , would have to swallow some pride to take the asst head guy role. Esso's crystal ball - 80% chance that Tony Elliot stays put at Clemson as long as he thinks he is in the mix for Dabo's slot down the road.
  • Dabo - Esso's Crystal Ball , Bama calls, there is a 70% chance that he packs up t he family and moves home. The 30% chance that he stays is linked to his boys. Family is important to him. If he turns down Bama he is most likely a Cow Town coach for another decade.

Think Spurrier is a rational adult, with a big ego, and understand why we would have been frustrated with the Florida fans. Dabo, on the other hand, is an emotional child in my opinion.
Well, Dietzel left LSU for the same reason. He had a great team coming back when he bolted for Army. Of course, he bolted for an Army which no longer existed.

Would Alabama have him? I have to believe we're not the only fan base who sees through his shtick. I could see it working at Georgia, but not Alabama.

Nearly every coach in the country would want the Alabama job, despite cautionary warnings about how hard it is to follow a legend. Every comic wanted the Tonight Show after Johnny Carson left. So they might have better choices, but Dabo has undeniably had success and played and coached there at Alabama. I expect Saban to try and hand the job to a favored assistant. Alternatively, Saban may keep the job into his 80s. Why not, it is a steamroller.

this, more likely to happen.

I am not sure that 12 million instead of 10 million a year is really going to be a deciding factor. I have thought about "how much is enough" , and can't imagine that after a person has 25-30 million in the bike (conservatively) , does a 2 million per year bump make that big a difference? Early on Dabo was taking less of a raise to get the coordinators where he wanted them to be. I really do not expect that Dabo's decision , when all is said in done will have much to do with the money. The guy is rolling in it now.

Well, Dietzel left LSU for the same reason. He had a great team coming back when he bolted for Army. Of course, he bolted for an Army which no longer existed.
King, didn't Dietzel's LSU defeat Clemson of all people in the mid-fifties for what passed for a national championship. Remember when I was in high school that the only team on Saturday night radio was Dietzel's team.

I agree with his sentiments, but this is completely blown out of proportion. He isn't threatening to leave. He is A. pointing out some excessive expectations, and, most importantly B. trying to get a "Please, St. Dabo! Forgive Us! We will do whatever you say and offer you a fat contract extension. Just don't go!" reaction from the fanbase.

I guess why not? Clemson is the Number One school to make stupid emotional decisions about coaching contract extensions. UT being a close second. But they "demand excellence."

I guess why not? Clemson is the Number One school to make stupid emotional decisions about coaching contract extensions. UT being a close second. But they "demand excellence."

Get your HOT TAEKS HERE! HOT TAEKS.

Regarding stupid emotional decisions a la Clemson - Um, no?

How about Iowa's contract extension in 2016 for Kirk Ferentz for them to keep him through 2026 (10 years, holy shnikes!) for them to be a middle of the pack B1G West team?

Louisville's contract extension in 2016 for an additional 7 years with Bobby Petrino? Buyout for $14M? (OOPS)

We'll see how it goes with Jimbo, but his current contract with aTm as well...

And I do agree with you on UT, they're dumb and Fulmer has them by the balls.

King, didn't Dietzel's LSU defeat Clemson of all people in the mid-fifties for what passed for a national championship. Remember when I was in high school that the only team on Saturday night radio was Dietzel's team.

Actually , my Dad played in that Sugar Bowl , if you are talking about the 7-6 game. They wouldn’t let Clemson wear their orange jerseys , because there wouldn’t be enough contrast on TV between LSU in White and Clemson in orange. Frank Howard sent his equipment manager to a local Sporting Goods store and bought purple jerseys. That was the birth of purple jerseys.

Actually , my Dad played in that Sugar Bowl , if you are talking about the 7-6 game. They wouldn’t let Clemson wear their orange jerseys , because there wouldn’t be enough contrast on TV between LSU in White and Clemson in orange. Frank Howard sent his equipment manager to a local Sporting Goods store and bought purple jerseys. That was the birth of purple jerseys.
Yes, that is it. Never knew about the purple jersey aspect of it. I don't think that my family had a tv then as we were not so affluent.

7-0. I believe it was in the sugar Bowl. I believe it was in the late 1950s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT