ADVERTISEMENT

Death and taxes(stocks)

Nope. I pay my fair share of taxes every year.
No you don't. You pay what you are required to based on tax law. Fair has nothing to do with it. There is nothing fair about the tax laws. Did you know you can be taxed for income you never actually got? Try defaulting on a loan and see what happens.

Nope. I pay my fair share of taxes every year.

Why does someone who makes more owe a higher percentage in the first place? Shouldn't their "fair share" be the same percentage as your "fair share"? In reality, a flat tax that would be applied to everyone above a certain income level would be truly fair, but Democrats don't necessarily want fair, they want equity of outcome, not equity of opportunity.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
Why does someone who makes more owe a higher percentage in the first place? Shouldn't their "fair share" be the same percentage as your "fair share"? In reality, a flat tax that would be applied to everyone above a certain income level would be truly fair, but Democrats don't necessarily want fair, they want equity of outcome, not equity of opportunity.

No. It’s not fair for someone that makes a million dollars to pay the same percentage of income as someone that makes $30,000.

To argue otherwise is being intentionally obtuse.

• Sad
Reactions: josillor
Says someone who knows nothing about financial management and will never make $530 K per year in his lifetime. It’s always amazed me how people so easily make stupid statements when it comes to someone else’s money.

This is such a weird insult. Do you make more than 530k a year?

Democrats make tax laws for themselves. They know that higher tax rates for the wealthy just means a higher tax burden on the lower classes. This is because the wealthy didn’t get wealthy by being stupid. They ALWAYs find ways to pass taxes downward. The person who screams “tax the wealthy their fair share” is only demanding a tax increase on themselves.

No. It’s not fair for someone that makes a million dollars to pay the same percentage of income as someone that makes $30,000.

To argue otherwise is being intentionally obtuse.

It is completely "fair" by definition. I recognize the need to have a cut-off at a point for people that are unable to pay the same amount of tax and provide basic necessities. We can argue where that cut-off may be, but the idea of a flat tax is as fair as it gets.

It is completely "fair" by definition. I recognize the need to have a cut-off at a point for people that are unable to pay the same amount of tax and provide basic necessities. We can argue where that cut-off may be, but the idea of a flat tax is as fair as it gets.

Fair isn’t a black or white thing. It takes nuance.

This is such a weird insult. Do you make more than 530k a year?
Only the IRS will ever know how much I make, but over my 68- years of life I have experienced the poverty and wealth over a multitude of cycles. I have risked my hard-earned money to provide employment for others and have donated large sums to assist people in need. I have been called “lucky” because I wisely worked hard and earned a lot of money as a result of that hard work. I attended college and multiple graduate schools for business and finance while my coworkers and friends stayed home and watched TV. Having my life experiences has taught me that everyone’s situation at any time is particular to them only.

Because most of us value quality of life and don’t see the appeal in such an austere environment.
So in some sort of twisted logical world you live in, you think your life is enhanced by the government wastefully spends trillions of $ that they don't have? Quite the opposite I am afraid. The day of reckoning is coming, sped along significantly by the doubling of the national debt by the Obama administration.

Because most of us value quality of life and don’t see the appeal in such an austere environment.

I guess that is why the US is still such an attractive place for people to come to fulfill their dreams. Sadly, we are heading towards a more Euro model, where hard work isn't nearly as rewarding, complacency is encouraged and envy is the prevailing sentiment.

Reactions: uscedge21
But the president isn’t the one begging for more taxes.
You do realize his tax breaks were set to expire in 2025, right? No matter who wins, taxes were going up by then at the LATEST. With the economic fallout we are facing form covid and the stimulus packages they keep giving out, we had to oay for this from somewhere... Likely no matter the party that assumed office this term, they were going to have to raise taxes to pay for this mess, likely sooner than the 2025 deadline for Trump’s tax law.

Reactions: HoldenOversoul
You do realize his tax breaks were set to expire in 2025, right? No matter who wins, taxes were going up by then at the LATEST. With the economic fallout we are facing form covid and the stimulus packages they keep giving out, we had to oay for this from somewhere... Likely no matter the party that assumed office this term, they were going to have to raise taxes to pay for this mess, likely sooner than the 2025 deadline for Trump’s tax law.
And the president wanted to extend those tax cuts. The dems wanted to increase taxes even before Covid.

There is so much waste where government spending is concerned. Let me give you an example...and while it is anecdotal, I think it is telling.

A few years ago while still in school I worked part time for a company that provided medical transportation for Medicare/Medicaid recipients and our particular office covered maybe 7 or 8 counties in South Carolina. That's all we dealt with in our office. Other offices around the state had their counties they served. I got a call one day from a patient that said she needed a ride for a first time appointment to an optician. There was one available in her rural county, and policy stated that's where she would need to go. If there was nothing available for her there, then we could arrange a longer trip. She insisted she wanted an appointment at a mall a couple counties over. I explained our the policy to her numerous times, but she refused. The policy was in place because there were frequently situations where a patient would do this just so they could get a ride to a mall to go shopping, even though it was against the rules of the program. It was just a waste of time and money, and prevented someone that may actually need that ride for a legitimate reason from having it. My manager finally told me to just go ahead and schedule it to shut her up. That one little trip wound up costing over $200 more than it would have had she went to where she was supposed to go. We got to know the drivers pretty well in the course of the work, so I called her the day after that appointment to ask her if the patient went shopping, and sure enough, she came back to the van with a handful of bags.

That was just one example, but that sort of thing happened to me multiple times a day. I guarantee that thousands of dollars per week were just wasted from my calls alone, and I was only part-time. Then consider that there were several people doing the same job in the office, most full-time. They were seeing the same kind of waste. So how many thousands of dollars a week were being wasted just by our office handling only a few counties in South Carolina? That was just one office serving a small part of South Carolina. What about the other offices in the state? What about similar offices in all the other states? Each state has similar programs and companies that service them. When you consider how much waste I as an individual saw, then factor that out to the rest of my office, the rest of the state, and the rest of the country, it would have to be in the hundreds of millions. I finally quit in disgust.

And that's just one little government program. It's not like the rest of them are run efficiently, and there are thousands of them. But it's easy to throw around and waste other people's money.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
And the president wanted to extend those tax cuts. The dems wanted to increase taxes even before Covid.
Uh huh.. You are missing my point- It is not a party thing, it is a pay the bills thing. We do not have the money we just spent/still will spend on these stimulius packages. No matter who is in office, or what they claim to “want”- taxes are going up. Soon.

Uh huh.. You are missing my point- It is not a party thing, it is a pay the bills thing. We do not have the money we just spent/still will spend on these stimulius packages. No matter who is in office, or what they claim to “want”- taxes are going up. Soon.
What makes you think I missed your point?

There is so much waste where government spending is concerned. Let me give you an example...and while it is anecdotal, I think it is telling.

A few years ago while still in school I worked part time for a company that provided medical transportation for Medicare/Medicaid recipients and our particular office covered maybe 7 or 8 counties in South Carolina. That's all we dealt with in our office. Other offices around the state had their counties they served. I got a call one day from a patient that said she needed a ride for a first time appointment to an optician. There was one available in her rural county, and policy stated that's where she would need to go. If there was nothing available for her there, then we could arrange a longer trip. She insisted she wanted an appointment at a mall a couple counties over. I explained our the policy to her numerous times, but she refused. The policy was in place because there were frequently situations where a patient would do this just so they could get a ride to a mall to go shopping, even though it was against the rules of the program. It was just a waste of time and money, and prevented someone that may actually need that ride for a legitimate reason from having it. My manager finally told me to just go ahead and schedule it to shut her up. That one little trip wound up costing over $200 more than it would have had she went to where she was supposed to go. We got to know the drivers pretty well in the course of the work, so I called her the day after that appointment to ask her if the patient went shopping, and sure enough, she came back to the van with a handful of bags.

That was just one example, but that sort of thing happened to me multiple times a day. I guarantee that thousands of dollars per week were just wasted from my calls alone, and I was only part-time. Then consider that there were several people doing the same job in the office, most full-time. They were seeing the same kind of waste. So how many thousands of dollars a week were being wasted just by our office handling only a few counties in South Carolina? That was just one office serving a small part of South Carolina. What about the other offices in the state? What about similar offices in all the other states? Each state has similar programs and companies that service them. When you consider how much waste I as an individual saw, then factor that out to the rest of my office, the rest of the state, and the rest of the country, it would have to be in the hundreds of millions. I finally quit in disgust.

And that's just one little government program. It's not like the rest of them are run efficiently, and there are thousands of them. But it's easy to throw around and waste other people's money.

There is no doubt that fraud, waste and abuse needs to be reported.

I'm not naïve enough to believe this isn't a problem. If people saw all the fraud and waste in the VA disability system...woof.

What do you think overall though?

I mean if you want to argue a private school that recruits from high income, two-parent homes may have better outcomes than a public school consisting of low income, single parent homes, you're clearly not here arguing in good faith.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT