ADVERTISEMENT

Death and taxes(stocks)

Investment income is different from fixed income. Didn't McMaster and the state legislature raise our gas tax to pay for improved infrastructure? As one who has driven the roads of South Carolina, I had no problem with that. But, that's me.
Agree. the gas tax increase South Carolina passed was fine. No fairer way to pay for our bad roads than to get it from the people that use them.

My taxes are reasonable.

I use legal tools to help me reduce them (401k, FSA, claim credits on my taxes that are legally available to me) and I feel what I pay is reasonable for the services I receive. I don't spend time arguing for more tools or waste my time on it. I had too many family members (most are dead now) that spent too much of their time whining about their taxes and such things "from the government" at get-togethers and decided long ago I didn't want to be whining all the time about it like them.

I believe I live in the greatest country in the world protected by the most capable military in the world. I have no issue paying for it and other things like a social safety net.

Do I believe all monies are used properly? No. Do some people take advantage of it? Yes- to some degree- but not to the extent some whine about.

I have my qualms like anyone else. Is there a better system out there? maybe. Do I think someone else could operate a system that would be better? No. The people that act as if they could don't impress me with their ethics or capability any more than the current group.

Last edited:
Reactions: gamecock stock
Investment income is different from fixed income. Didn't McMaster and the state legislature raise our gas tax to pay for improved infrastructure? As one who has driven the roads of South Carolina, I had no problem with that. But, that's me.
I didn't say what kind of income, only "income". Regardless of your type of income the libs want more of it and want to take it from you. I think most people would be upset if they had to pay more in taxes this year than last year while having the same amount of income.

FYI, gas tax is not based on income.

Reactions: cocks rule
I didn't say what kind of income, only "income". Regardless of your type of income the libs want more of it and want to take it from you. I think most people would be upset if they had to pay more in taxes this year than last year while having the same amount of income.

I don't think there is anything magical about the current progressive income tax rates. So, I'd have no overall concerns raising them on certain income levels coupled with some restrictions on freebies for others.

FYI, my original comment was regarding investments. How in the hell and why it detoured from what I originally referred to (investments), is puzzling. And BTW, when I got promoted or a big pay raise, I did not mind paying more taxes due to it. There may be times my taxes went up without a pay raise; but I don't recall. But I do know my gas tax went up without my income going up. The bottom line is that regardless whether it was based on income, my taxes went up.

Last edited:
FYI, my original comment was regarding investments. How in the hell and why it detoured from what I originally referred to (investments), is puzzling. And BTW, when I got promoted or a big pay raise, I did not mind paying more taxes due to it. There may be times my taxes went up without a pay raise; but I don't recall. But I do know my gas tax went up without my income going up. The bottom line is that regardless whether it was based on income, my taxes went up.
IDK. I responded to your post where you said an individual said he didn't mind paying more taxes if he made more money. He would be referring to income taxes. I made the comment how would he feel if he paid more taxes on the same income? That's when you got off the rails talking about gas tax etc.

IDK. I responded to your post where you said an individual said he didn't mind paying more taxes if he made more money. He would be referring to income taxes. I made the comment how would he feel if he paid more taxes on the same income? That's when you got off the rails talking about gas tax etc.
I said Investment legend Jim Rogers likes paying more taxes because it means he is having investment success. That is equating his investment performance (success) with paying long-term and short-term capital gains. And then you went on your detour. It's like you were trying to start a fight. You obviously missed the point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT