ADVERTISEMENT

Deebo to play in Senior Bowl?

Okay, I didn't know they didn't play tackle football in the Senior Bowl. I'm confused now, so Deebo skipped our Bowl only play in another Bowl game and take a chance of getting hurt there instead? Couldn't those same scouts be watching the Belk Bowl and evaluate his playing skills there? I get all the "get ready for the combine" BS but really Deebo? Isn't this sorta like dodging a fight with Tyson to save your health then fighting Ali instead? You're going to not play against Va only to play against the best defensive players in college football to keep from getting banged up? I knew there was a scum bag agent in there somewhere.

Okay, I didn't know they didn't play tackle football in the Senior Bowl. I'm confused now, so Deebo skipped our Bowl only play in another Bowl game and take a chance of getting hurt there instead? Couldn't those same scouts be watching the Belk Bowl and evaluate his playing skills there? I get all the "get ready for the combine" BS but really Deebo? Isn't this sorta like dodging a fight with Tyson to save your health then fighting Ali instead? You're going to not play against Va to play against the best defensive players in college football to keep from getting banged up? I knew there was a scum bag agent in there somewhere.
You don't understand, anything Deebo does has been sanctified in the court of public opinion.

You don't understand, anything Deebo does has been sanctified in the court of public opinion.
I gave him the benefit of the doubt but this to "ME" is abandoning your guys but hey, whatever. If he wants to jump from the frying pan to the fire then good luck but don't give me anymore excuses and heartfelt goodbyes.

I wonder if any players pass it up to head straight to the combines.
I don't king, all I know is I don't understand it. Everybody in America who watches college football, including pro football franchises, knows Deebo Samuel and his strengths what are the expecting to happen between now and the combine, Deebo drinks a Red Bull and gets wings? It's this kids life and I ain't his daddy but this stinks to me. I want to win the Belk Bowl, you know that useless game, but it will be tougher without Deebo. Good luck to the kid but I don't like the tread that college football is allowing some players to set before long there won't be in featured players willing to even play.

I don't king, all I know is I don't understand it. Everybody in America who watches college football, including pro football franchises, knows Deebo Samuel and his strengths what are the expecting to happen between now and the combine, Deebo drinks a Red Bull and gets wings? It's this kids life and I ain't his daddy but this stinks to me. I want to win the Belk Bowl, you know that useless game, but it will be tougher without Deebo. Good luck to the kid but I don't like the tread that college football is allowing some players to set before long there won't be in featured players willing to even play.
They'll play when and where and for however long it takes to establish marketability.

Reactions: Gaimcock
Good I hope he has a good showing. I think he could be a late 3rd rounder. He should be in Arizona now at Athlete's Performance their the best.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
You know guys Leonard Fournette skipped his bowl game ... Darius Guise came in and rushed for 150 yards and was actually a more productive back than Fournette when he took over the next year . When Mccaffrey sat out the same year Bryce Love stepped right up and played just as well . The next year Bryce was in the Heisman Hunt . Just something to consider .

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Not going to play in a meaningless bowl game because he’s injury prone, but going to play in a meaningless bowl game because it will benefit his draft status? With this announcement, anyone defending his decision to quit and abandon his team before the season has ended is foolish

Don't think anyone plays in the Senior Bowl for the fun of it, they get exposure to NFL executives during practices. I would guess he's participating at his agent's suggestion. But whatever, hate on.

Most NFL teams will have a scout at this game. Playing in this game out weighs Belk Bowl by leaps and bounds.
They see he play in every game anyway and the last time I looked the Belk Bowl is still a football game also. Here's the thing for me, in the Senior Bowl there is talent coming out the ying yang Deebo will have to wait his turn just to get in the game for the few plays he will get because every player on the roster is good. In the Belk Bowl he could get 50 snaps and can show off because they'll be watching him there too. They will trot him out for kickoff returns of which most will be over his head for NR or they could put him returning punts and that could be a disaster since he doesn't return punts. He could have played in both games but chose to skip our game because wanted to prepare for the combine so he said. Look, I'm a Deebo fan, but I'm a Carolina fan first and I want to win the Bowl game. I hope he gets nasty rich and buys his mama a house etc. but he let me down because he chose to leave and play in a Bowl where he could get hurt anyway and might not see the ball 3 times. JMO

They see he play in every game anyway and the last time I looked the Belk Bowl is still a football game also. Here's the thing for me, in the Senior Bowl there is talent coming out the ying yang Deebo will have to wait his turn just to get in the game for the few plays he will get because every player on the roster is good. In the Belk Bowl he could get 50 snaps and can show off because they'll be watching him there too. They will trot him out for kickoff returns of which most will be over his head for NR or they could put him returning punts and that could be a disaster since he doesn't return punts. He could have played in both games but chose to skip our game because wanted to prepare for the combine so he said. Look, I'm a Deebo fan, but I'm a Carolina fan first and I want to win the Bowl game. I hope he gets nasty rich and buys his mama a house etc. but he let me down because he chose to leave and play in a Bowl where he could get hurt anyway and might not see the ball 3 times. JMO
Level of competition across the board, not a VA Team with 2 dudes, if they have that.

Not going to play in a meaningless bowl game because he’s injury prone, but going to play in a meaningless bowl game because it will benefit his draft status? With this announcement, anyone defending his decision to quit and abandon his team before the season has ended is foolish

They're still here. Trying to split hairs saying this is more important than that, etc....when in reality, there's not a hill of beans difference. None.

Good grief. I knew when this was announced there would be morons up in arms about this. Sure he could get hurt. But his practices alone for this game will be attended by more NFL scouts than will be at the Belk Bowl. The entire week scouts and executives have a chance to meet players, talk to players, watch players. This is 100% about him moving onto the next level...just like his decision to sit the Bowl Game was 100% about the next level. This game is part of the prep for the NFL.

Still don’t like his decision not to play but I get it...
You do realize, the senior bowl is almost a month after our bowl game. Not to mention, he would be able to do everything you just mentioned at the nfl combine. It is what it is. Deebo quit on his team before the season was over. It’s his choice, just don’t expect everyone who supports Gamecock football to revere him

You do realize, the senior bowl is almost a month after our bowl game. Not to mention, he would be able to do everything you just mentioned at the nfl combine. It is what it is. Deebo quit on his team before the season was over. It’s his choice, just don’t expect everyone who supports Gamecock football to revere him
He pulled a “Spurrier “

Reactions: Jpcooper
I was a bit on the fence about Deebo skipping our Bowl game and tried to look objectively at both sides of the argument. This clarifies things for me. He's quitting on his team for selfish reasons.

Reactions: Jpcooper
You know guys Leonard Fournette skipped his bowl game ... Darius Guise came in and rushed for 150 yards and was actually a more productive back than Fournette when he took over the next year . When Mccaffrey sat out the same year Bryce Love stepped right up and played just as well . The next year Bryce was in the Heisman Hunt . Just something to consider .
Right Shi Smith is gonna make us forget Deebo.

Last edited:
Then why play in the game at all?
Kyle Lauletta. Nobody heard of the dude until the senior bowl, now Eli's backup.
Darius Leonard. 14 tackles in Senior Bowl. Blowing up for Colts. He went to SC State. You guys might have heard of him in local papers, but I never had.

That's just last year.

Kyle Lauletta. Nobody heard of the dude until the senior bowl, now Eli's backup.
Darius Leonard. 14 tackles in Senior Bowl. Blowing up for Colts. He went to SC State. You guys might have heard of him in local papers, but I never had.

That's just last year.
I understand but if the scouts go to practice and not the game the game is useless they have already seen all they need to see. Why would anyone play and chance injury? I'm betting the NFL reps are in full attendance of both.

I thought they had already heard of Deebo Samuel.
I just call it playing the percentages. He's definitely get more exposure to the Lig there than in Charlotte. I'm disappointed. Once he announced the draft was next, then received this invitation, I can't blame him for that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT