ADVERTISEMENT

Deebo to play in Senior Bowl?

They see he play in every game anyway and the last time I looked the Belk Bowl is still a football game also. Here's the thing for me, in the Senior Bowl there is talent coming out the ying yang Deebo will have to wait his turn just to get in the game for the few plays he will get because every player on the roster is good. In the Belk Bowl he could get 50 snaps and can show off because they'll be watching him there too. They will trot him out for kickoff returns of which most will be over his head for NR or they could put him returning punts and that could be a disaster since he doesn't return punts. He could have played in both games but chose to skip our game because wanted to prepare for the combine so he said. Look, I'm a Deebo fan, but I'm a Carolina fan first and I want to win the Bowl game. I hope he gets nasty rich and buys his mama a house etc. but he let me down because he chose to leave and play in a Bowl where he could get hurt anyway and might not see the ball 3 times. JMO

It's not the same thing. Coaches will be there all week during practice. It's sole purpose is a scouting event.

It's a little disappointing. He's gone. It's Shi Smith's time to shine in a bowl. Expect more Vann and TE's. I don't know if he was planning on traveling with th team, but I see no need for Deebo to be at our bowl game. You don't come to a battle and watch from the sideline.

College football is changing for the worse for teams that aren't going to make the final 4. Expect this to be the norm going forward. Players make a name for themselves and then turn their back as soon as they have a chance to make money.
There is always the a chance players get hurt. They can get hurt getting out of the bed, at the combine, first practice, first game. This is basically a player saying that this game and this team and University aren't that important anymore. Thank you for paying for me to be here. Now I want to move on to someone else paying me.

Good riddance I say.

I'm disappointed. I'm not hiding that. But no use being vindictive about it. Not going to alter the fact.
Even if the Teams are in a National championship, Doesnt change the fact that they can get injured.... So do they sit out?? It is a Slippery Slope, but hey, I am not in their shoes so I cant say that I would play.... I personally would be hard pressed to "abandon" the players i had played with all year, some my whole college football career.....

Last edited:
It's not the same thing. Coaches will be there all week during practice. It's sole purpose is a scouting event.
I know that. If it's a scouting event why play the game ? It seems like a waste of time and chancing that injury they so want to avoid, call it the "Senior Bowl Practice so all the NFL scouts can see you again Bowl" and then go home. I understand all the reasons but the players who skip their bowl games are taking the chance of meeting the same fate they wanted to avoid by still playing in another bowl. It's all JMO but I don't like the tread call Lloyd's of London get insured and play.

Reactions: Jpcooper
The poor old tax payer gets nailed again. Every bowl game is about making $$ for the city and area to a point but personally I don't care about the financial part of the game or the promoters benefits (no offense). What I am concerned about is the hypocrisy of players talking by out of both sides of their mouths by giving an excuse for not playing for your team in one game only to go play for another team in another game risking hurt anyway. Again my friend as always.. JMO.

I know that. If it's a scouting event why play the game ? It seems like a waste of time and chancing that injury they so want to avoid, call it the "Senior Bowl Practice so all the NFL scouts can see you again Bowl" and then go home. I understand all the reasons but the players who skip their bowl games are taking the chance of meeting the same fate they wanted to avoid by still playing in another bowl. It's all JMO but I don't like the tread call Lloyd's of London get insured and play.

I don't think Deebo mentioned ANYTHING about worrying about an injury. That came from fans. He said he wanted to focus on preparing for the NFL, which the Senior Bowl does, IMO.

“As much as I would love to suit up one last time for the Gamecocks, having those extra weeks to better prepare for the NFL will be crucial,” Samuel wrote on Instagram. “As I look to the next chapter, I realize the next 6 months will determine my next four years and potentially even more.”

Reactions: cockofdawn
I don't think Deebo mentioned ANYTHING about worrying about an injury. That came from fans. He said he wanted to focus on preparing for the NFL, which the Senior Bowl does, IMO.

“As much as I would love to suit up one last time for the Gamecocks, having those extra weeks to better prepare for the NFL will be crucial,” Samuel wrote on Instagram. “As I look to the next chapter, I realize the next 6 months will determine my next four years and potentially even more.”
You really don't think that was what he was really saying? One game more would throw a monkey wrench in his preparing for the combine, of course it's all about dodging an injury. Zack would have played and he should go high. Isn't preparing for the NFL playing in games? He would get 15 more days of practice so what is he going to be doing in the meantime lifting weights and running 40 yd dashes? It's all about the $$ and that's okay, but don't flip us off just to go play in a real "meaningless" bowl like the Senior Bowl and pretend we can't read between the lines. Every NFL scout breathing knows Deebo Samuel already. He said "As much as I would love to suit up one last time". Well that was his call. And that's all I have to say about that.

It's a little disappointing. He's gone. It's Shi Smith's time to shine in a bowl. Expect more Vann and TE's. I don't know if he was planning on traveling with th team, but I see no need for Deebo to be at our bowl game. You don't come to a battle and watch from the sideline.
hopefully Vann gets plenty of playing time

You really don't think that was what he was really saying? One game more would throw a monkey wrench in his preparing for the combine, of course it's all about dodging an injury. Zack would have played and he should go high. Isn't preparing for the NFL playing in games? He would get 15 more days of practice so what is he going to be doing in the meantime lifting weights and running 40 yd dashes? It's all about the $$ and that's okay, but don't flip us off just to go play in a real "meaningless" bowl like the Senior Bowl and pretend we can't read between the lines. Every NFL scout breathing knows Deebo Samuel already. He said "As much as I would love to suit up one last time". Well that was his call. And that's all I have to say about that.

I assume he's telling the truth. From everything I've read, he's a work horse. Concentrating on preparing for the draft and improving his draft potential fits the profile, IMO.
Would considering the risk of injury be a factor? Probably. Was it the only factor? Doubt it. Hiring an agent seems to be a big factor as he has already hired one. Obviously, playing in the Senior Bowl disproves the theory that fear of injury is his only concern though.

Reactions: Jpcooper
How many people play in the Senior Bowl compared to those who prepare and go through the combine without playing in the Senior Bowl? Do any invitees decline the invitation to the Senor Bowl? If so, why won't they put themselves out there?

I will add an everyday analogy. Have any of you ever given notice at a job? Did you give your all to the job for two weeks? I didn't. LOL We were about to start a product listing procedure that required tons of paperwork and data collection. They wanted me to squeeze about 4 weeks worth of work into that 2 weeks. They asked for overtime (I was salaried). They even tried to get me to work part-time when I left, but my heart was already at the new job.

Take that however you want. I wish he'd play, but his heart wouldn't be in it and he'd probably be mailing it in. Didn't we see the same with Jared Cook in a bowl? I'd rather see a player give his all at that position.

I went to the Senior Bowl last year and talked to a couple of scouts in the hotel lobby. They said they took the best measure of the players in the practices leading up to the game. It gave them insight they normally wouldn't get. Now there were probably 5000 people at the game as it was played in a monsoon. The game meant nothing except to a couple of players from small colleges looking to improve their status. That Lauletta guy at QB showed out and now is in the NFL.

As far as him injuring himself in the game, that won't happen as he may see 20 plays. In the Belk Bowl he would be in on every offensive snap and special teams. Give it up people - he was a great Gamecock and now he needs to provide for his family.

I assume he's telling the truth. From everything I've read, he's a work horse. Concentrating on preparing for the draft and improving his draft potential fits the profile, IMO.
Would considering the risk of injury be a factor? Probably. Was it the only factor? Doubt it. Hiring an agent seems to be a big factor as he has already hired one. Obviously, playing in the Senior Bowl disproves the theory that fear of injury is his only concern though.
"I don't like it be I guess things happen that way"....Johnny Cash.

Don't think anyone plays in the Senior Bowl for the fun of it, they get exposure to NFL executives during practices. I would guess he's participating at his agent's suggestion. But whatever, hate on.
No hate here johnny I'm a Gamecock fan not a Deebo fan all I want to do is win.

I don't king, all I know is I don't understand it. Everybody in America who watches college football, including pro football franchises, knows Deebo Samuel and his strengths what are the expecting to happen between now and the combine, Deebo drinks a Red Bull and gets wings? It's this kids life and I ain't his daddy but this stinks to me. I want to win the Belk Bowl, you know that useless game, but it will be tougher without Deebo. Good luck to the kid but I don't like the tread that college football is allowing some players to set before long there won't be in featured players willing to even play.

See I disagree with this point. Deebo is not a well-known commodity at all. I work with UGA, Alabama, Auburn, etc. fans and they didn't even know who he was. He's not a Clowney, Lattimore, Jeffrey type. Probably because he's never played in a big game.

The combine will be huge for him.

Edit- Let me clarify- scouts certainly know him, but I think he is somebody who has to go prove himself through the combine process.

The poor old tax payer gets nailed again. Every bowl game is about making $$ for the city and area to a point but personally I don't care about the financial part of the game or the promoters benefits (no offense). What I am concerned about is the hypocrisy of players talking by out of both sides of their mouths by giving an excuse for not playing for your team in one game only to go play for another team in another game risking hurt anyway. Again my friend as always.. JMO.
Who said he wasn't playing to avoid an injury? I thought he was getting ready for the Combine.

Common sense says so. How else would not playing make sense the combine ain't till April 2019.

Oh, come on Jim. Just because that is your assumption, doesn't make it the case, or "common sense". Maybe he wanted to hire a trainer and spend his time/energy getting ready for the draft. Maybe he wanted to hire an agent. Maybe his family made him. Maybe he hates Charlotte.

Oh, come on Jim. Just because that is your assumption, doesn't make it the case, or "common sense". Maybe he wanted to hire a trainer and spend his time/energy getting ready for the draft. Maybe he wanted to hire an agent. Maybe his family made him. Maybe he hates Charlotte.
JMO

Don`t give me this chance to show off his skills crap. They know the players skills or they wouldn`t be invited to this "game" in the first place. This game is truly meaningless. They have Pro day and the combine to show off their skills. Further disappointment when our team is already short-handed. Kinlaw can`t play due to surgery - this is different.

Doubtful, I too suspect fear of injury, But he does Hate Charlotte, He does want to hire an agent, His Family did make him, and He is getting ready for the draft, But so are many others that are Playing in Bowl games with their teammates they have ate, slept and "Went to batlle" with for 4 years.... I am disappointed, but wish him the best..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT