ADVERTISEMENT

Did anyone hear the Josh Kendall interview on the Paul Finebaum show?

In a nutshell - 2019 is a "just try to survive year" with the schedule we have. He said 2020 will be the real test for Muschamp and is his make or break season.

Don't like Kendall but this is a pretty reasonable take IMO.

I hate 'make or break' football seasons. Historically, we have fallen flat on our faces in those cases. We perform much better in spontaneous, 'surprise' seasons, ex. '84 and 2000. Just my opinion.

I hate 'make or break' football seasons. Historically, we have fallen flat on our faces in those cases. We perform much better in spontaneous, 'surprise' seasons, ex. '84 and 2000. Just my opinion.
Well I think he meant it was more of a make or break for Muschamp in his fifth year with all his guys and no more excuses but I feel you.

Reactions: Thigh Man
In a nutshell - 2019 is a "just try to survive year" with the schedule we have. He said 2020 will be the real test for Muschamp and is his make or break season.

I don't know that I can agree with much of this. I've been around Gamecock sports too long. So, if 2019 is "try to survive", and Muschamp finishes 5-7/7-5, and then in 2020 he finishes 8-4, then what?

Does Ray (or hopefully a competent AD who replaces Ray soon) say, "Well, this was your big year
and you went 8-4. I'm sorry, but we want something better than this. We want to compete for titles. Good luck being the DC for Southern Miss next year."

Like a lot of people, I'm expecting Auburn to fire Malzahn if he finishes with another 4 loss season. They aren't just sitting still and satisfied with finishing in the middle of the SEC West and playing in the Outback Bowl.

Problem with this assessment is that unless Bentley gets hurt this year, we'll be starting a new QB with likely very little game experience. If we were starting a new QB this year, I could agree more, but still wouldn't put too many eggs in that basket.

This year is make or break for me. 4th year starter at QB, Sr RBs, experienced OL, 2nd year of new "system." Defense that should be more than wet toilet paper.

In the SEC every year is make or break. It never gets easier "next year."

Edit: If we don't score a lot of points this year, that will definitely be a sign of not getting it done.

Last edited:
Problem with this assessment is that unless Bentley gets hurt this year, we'll be starting a new QB with likely very little game experience. If we were starting a new QB this year, I could agree more, but still wouldn't put too many eggs in that basket.

This year is make or break for me. 4th year starter at QB, Sr RBs, experienced OL, 2nd year of new "system." Defense that should be more than wet toilet paper.

In the SEC every year is make or break. It never gets easier "next year."

We've managed to whistle through the graveyard with this for a couple of years now. Whatcha wanna bet it bites us this upcoming season?

There are a lot of people on here who will hate to hear that.
We all know that money drives everything. If Muschamp goes 3-9 for 3 straight seasons, but donations go up and the tickets get sold, no one has motivation for change. If Ray is raising lots of money, his job is safe.

Reactions: brianlafe
...and then in 2020 he finishes 8-4, then what?

Does Ray ... say, "Well, this was your big year
and you went 8-4. I'm sorry, but we want something better than this. We want to compete for titles. Good luck being the DC for Southern Miss next year"...
Ray won't do that. He will give him a $50,000 per year raise and extend his contract three years.

Yeah remember when we opened with UNC and everyone said it was a must win for both schools for a successful season. UNC lost and won out and played Clemson in the ACC championship game. We won that game and tanked. There are no must wins except Clemson

Reactions: hhbtiger
I don't know that I can agree with much of this. I've been around Gamecock sports too long. So, if 2019 is "try to survive", and Muschamp finishes 5-7/7-5, and then in 2020 he finishes 8-4, then what?

Does Ray (or hopefully a competent AD who replaces Ray soon) say, "Well, this was your big year
and you went 8-4. I'm sorry, but we want something better than this. We want to compete for titles. Good luck being the DC for Southern Miss next year."

Like a lot of people, I'm expecting Auburn to fire Malzahn if he finishes with another 4 loss season. They aren't just sitting still and satisfied with finishing in the middle of the SEC West and playing in the Outback Bowl.
Yep, if we go 8-4 in 2020 Ray will hand him a raise and extension and say that he's still building a product. Ray would probably "lock him up" for $20 mill or more. My goodness we barely made the Belk bowl this year and finished under .500 and raises got approved for everyone including the water guys. Then we'll get another forgettable quote like: "I'd hate to think about what things would look like without Will Muschamp as head coach".

Yep, if we go 8-4 in 2020 Ray will hand him a raise and extension and say that he's still building a product. Ray would probably "lock him up" for $20 mill or more. My goodness we barely made the Belk bowl this year and finished under .500 and raises got approved for everyone including the water guys. Then we'll get another forgettable quote like: "I'd hate to think about what things would look like without Will Muschamp as head coach".
I hope he'd get an extension and a raise. With a bowl win, that would be a year ahead of when Spurrier won a 9th game in a season. Unless you are willing to admit you'd fire Spurrier also.

Finebaum said that we have the toughest schedule in the country this year.

Hmm...I've heard that from multiple folks. But, Texas A&M might have one a little more difficult than ours. They play:

Clemson (1)
Alabama (2)
Georgia (3)
LSU (7)
Auburn (16)
South Carolina
Ole Miss
Miss State
Arkansas

There are a lot of people on here who will hate to hear that.
That's true, but I've been saying it all along. Have heard more than one board member absolutely admit that if it weren't for Tanner raising the money, that much of the new football facilities would still be on the planning board....that instead of deciding what to build next, it'd be when to build what.

I hope he'd get an extension and a raise. With a bowl win, that would be a year ahead of when Spurrier won a 9th game in a season. Unless you are willing to admit you'd fire Spurrier also.
Muschamp won 9 games in year 2. Are we regressing?

Spurrier fired himself. He tells everyone that.

If Muschamp wins 8 games next season, he is SEC Coach of the year with a pre season top 20 ranking going into 2020.

Except that he's beaten almost no decent team with a pulse and has never had the resume that suggests he will do anything great here. Spurrier did and beat good teams his very first year here. But you knew this already.
And he lost to some very poor teams. Everyone wants to leave that little tidbit out.

And the only thing his resume from Florida did was allow him to run back there when he quit here.

Reactions: chickadee#
Except that he's beaten almost no decent team with a pulse and has never had the resume that suggests he will do anything great here. Spurrier did and beat good teams his very first year here. But you knew this already.
He beat one of our 11 win teams 44 to 11. I think he beat Jimbo at FSU that year too.

He beat Drew Lock twice and Harbaugh in a bowl and never lost to Tennesee.

Talent just getting good enough to beat Georgia, Clemson, and Nick Saban's Alabama ass.

He beat one of our 11 win teams 44 to 11. I think he beat Jimbo at FSU that year too.

He beat Drew Lock twice and Harbaugh in a bowl and never lost to Tennesee.

Talent just getting good enough to beat Georgia, Clemson, and Nick Saban's Alabama ass.
1. That was a good win for him. It came during what Musberger referred to as the Gamecock Gauntlet, where we played Georgia, at LSU and at Florida all in a row, when (I believe) all were ranked in or near the top ten.

2. I always enjoy beating Tennessee. And I still give him credit for them being the one ranked team he's beaten in 3 years. Mizzou hasn't been good since Spurrier was here. Considering that certain posters don't want to give Scar credit for beating them for that reason, that works both ways when it comes to Muschamp. Michigan was simply overrated. They lost to every decent team they played that year and finished the year unranked. If they even held on to one of those five turnovers, who knows how that game ends?

3. After a good second year at both schools, he started sliding backwards. I like some of the recruits he's starting to get. But until that translates into wins against good teams, it's all talk.

Reactions: SOSUSC and Brace1
Other than a bad loss in a bowl game....nope!!

And Spurrier had one of those bad bowl game losses against UConn.
Other than this past season, Kentucky wasn't exactly a juggernaut. And let's not forget the choke in The Swamp last season. Regardless, Spurrier won more and bigger games here than anyone. And he was a winner coming in. The same simply cannot be said about Muschamp.

1. That was a good win for him. It came during what Musberger referred to as the Gamecock Gauntlet, where we played Georgia, at LSU and at Florida all in a row, when (I believe) all were ranked in or near the top ten.

2. I always enjoy beating Tennessee. And I still give him credit for them being the one ranked team he's beaten in 3 years. Mizzou hasn't been good since Spurrier was here. Considering that certain posters don't want to give Scar credit for beating them for that reason, that works both ways when it comes to Muschamp. Michigan was simply overrated. They lost to every decent team they played that year and finished the year unranked. If they even held on to one of those five turnovers, who knows how that game ends?

3. After a good second year at both schools, he started sliding backwards. I like some of the recruits he's starting to get. But until that translates into wins against good teams, it's all talk.

Gamecock Gauntlet was tough and Spurriers play calling in the 1st half against LSU in the real Death Valley cost us a win in Baton Rouge after we beat the hell out of Georgia in 2012.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Other than this past season, Kentucky wasn't exactly a juggernaut. And let's not forget the choke in The Swamp last season. Regardless, Spurrier won more and bigger games here than anyone. And he was a winner coming in. The same simply cannot be said about Muschamp.
Choke in the Swamp stings. Muschamp's worst game for us. Move on and beat their ass in Williams Brice this season for payback.

Gamecock Gauntlet was tough and Spurriers play calling in the 1st half against LSU in the real Death Valley cost us a win in Baton Rouge after we beat the hell out of Georgia in 2012.
That was definitely part of it. I would say that combined with LSU max-protecting with 7 OL helped to take Clowney out of the game and we had no answer for it. Not to mention it was a night game. At LSU. That was at a time where they simply did not lose those games. But we were in it until the end.

Choke in the Swamp stings. Muschamp's worst game for us. Move on and beat their ass in Williams Brice this season for payback.
It does sting. But so have those Ls to Kentucky. Hopefully we can beat them and Florida at home next year. Thanks to Spurrier, Florida doesn't count us as an automatic win anymore. But I dare say Kentucky does.

Reactions: SOSUSC
Spurrier fired himself. He tells everyone that.

If Muschamp wins 8 games next season, he is SEC Coach of the year with a pre season top 20 ranking going into 2020.

. . . and his resignation letter was short and not-so-sweet: 'heh-heh . . . In 2 or 3 years'.

You ain't lying. My sons and I were there to witness that mess. We had great seats in the endzone and my sons and everyone around us knew exactly what plays Spurrier was running on almost every down. The QB was even telegraphing the plays before the snap. HORRIBLE experience that day! And, the effn Clemson fan decked out in his orange finest sitting behind us made it even worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT