ADVERTISEMENT

Did anyone listen to P. Orth this morning?

Mizzou doesn't have a great defense, but A&M does. Let's see how Scar does against a good defense before announcing conspiracy theories.

Reactions: JOEFANATIC
Between Jake and dowdle we have turned the ball over waaayyy too much. Hard to win like that.
If you look at our turnover ranking and penalties rankings you'll see where our problems are. Defense is bad at times but those other two will kill any team chances of winning.

Bentley played poorly against two pretty good defenses. Admittedly, I think at his level he should have played better. Scar played Mizxou - their pass D Is awful. He played very well. However, I don’t know if you could compare.

In mop up duty, Scar fumbled twice and had one pass batted down at KY.
The team around him had wilted by then.

I think the coaching staff knows a lot more than the experts in this thread.
I don’t
After the Ky game, I'm not so sure either. That was a great opportunity for the coaching staff to do what they are paid millions to do but............ I've lost some confidence in WM and his staff. Hope to see it again after Sat. Can't believe Jake only had 9 yds passing in first qtr or half against Ky. Scar came in and looked ineffective but what if he had been brought in before the game was out of hand?

Scarnecchia was hurt is 2016. He wasn't beat out by Orth.
Bentley is hurt right now and Scar didn't beat him out. That means coaches think 80% of Bentley is greater than 100% of Scar.

I'm not saying he shouldn't start this game. Just making some observations. He hasn't beaten Bentley out or even replaced him in a game that mattered even when Bentley has made terrible throws. I'd like to see Scar against a decent defense for a series. I don't think Coastal was that defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigTomE
Perry might be right but he's also pissed he got benched.
I have listened to Perry just about every week. Never once heard him express that he is "pissed" because he got benched. You must have a lot more insight than most of us.

Bentley is hurt right now and Scar didn't beat him out. That means coaches think 80% of Bentley is greater than 100% of Scar.

I'm not saying he shouldn't start this game. Just making some observations. He hasn't beaten Bentley out or even replaced him in a game that mattered even when Bentley has made terrible throws. I'd like to see Scar against a decent defense for a series. I don't think Coastal was that defense.
A&M defensive backfield isn't ranked much higher than Mizzu's and the game against Mizzu mattered.

Bentley is in a tough spot. The boo birds will likely come out if he struggles on the first two series. His confidence is already shot. The pressure is on. Let's see if he can step up.

Coaches think Bentley is better at 80% than Scar at 100%? If true, I'm worried about our future if this is the case.

A&M defensive backfield isn't ranked much higher than Mizzu's and the game against Mizzu mattered.

Bentley is in a tough spot. The boo birds will likely come out if he struggles on the first two series. His confidence is already shot. The pressure is on. Let's see if he can step up.

Coaches think Bentley is better at 80% than Scar at 100%? If true, I'm worried about our future if this is the case.
I can see no other explanation.

Are you saying SEC level atheletes aren't good enough to show you what he's got? Scar put up numbers against an SEC defense. Yeah it wasn't the best rated one but hey the NFL is the still the NFL, even if you beat the Browns.

Are you saying SEC level atheletes aren't good enough to show you what he's got? Scar put up numbers against an SEC defense. Yeah it wasn't the best rated one but hey the NFL is the still the NFL, even if you beat the Browns.

Purdue's QB got 572 yds and 3 TDs on that SEC defense. Purdue is 2-3 with a loss to Ea Mich. And Scar actually threw one of those horrible Bentley-type middle-of-the-field passes directly at a dropping lineman, who just dropped it.

Last edited:
Purdue's QB got 572 yds and 3 TDs on that SEC defense. Purdue is 2-3 with a loss to Ea Mich. And Scar actually threw one of those horrible Bentley-type middle-of-the-field passes directly at a dropping lineman, who just dropped it.
I'm not saying he should be named to the all-SEC team. I just think going forward he should see a whole lot more playing time. If Bentley throws 2 picks or can't move the offense for several drives, he should get to play a few drives to see if he can spark the team. Honestly though I think Scar is a better starter and Jake is probably better coming off the bench.

Please leave my Brown's out of this discussion!

Reactions: rogue cock
I'm not saying he should be named to the all-SEC team. I just think going forward he should see a whole lot more playing time. If Bentley throws 2 picks or can't move the offense for several drives, he should get to play a few drives to see if he can spark the team. Honestly though I think Scar is a better starter and Jake is probably better coming off the bench.
No argument from me. I think he should have seen more real playing time before now.

Reactions: cockal
A&M defensive backfield isn't ranked much higher than Mizzu's.
I respectfully disagree. A&M is ranked 23rd nationally in total defense (324.6 ypg) despite having already played Alabama, Clemson and Kentucky. Missouri is ranked 77th (392 ypg), and Georgia is the only really strong team Missouri has played. (I realized that total defense is not the same as passing defense, but passing defense numbers are notoriously unreliable, because if a team can run on you, it will. I remember when we lost our first five games in 1974 -- yes, I'm that old -- and we were ranked No. 1 nationally in pass defense. It was because we were so terrible against the run that opponents hardly bothered to throw the ball.)

This season, Bentley has looked good against teams without impressive defenses (Coastal, Vandy) and poor against strong defensive teams (Georgia, Kentucky). Scar has looked good against an unimpressive defensive team (Missouri). How would a healthy Bentley have looked against Missouri? That would be the most fair comparison, and it's impossible to know.

Given that their livelihoods ride on such decisions, I don't think coaches play favorites. They play the guy they believe gives them the best chance to win, and they have way more information on which to base their decision than the rest of us. It doesn't mean they're always right, but I'm hesitant to assume my limited perspective is better than theirs.

I'm pulling for whoever they put out there.

Reactions: TheReelEss
What happens if Jake goes out there and lights it up and we beat Ass to Mouth? Everybody flip back over to Bentley ?

This is not good news. Scar can play. Not saying he's better than Jake but how would we know? I hope this new QB coach is monitoring this closely and makes the correct recommendations. I still think Dak can play QB here- I'm cool with a red-shirt but I think his athleticism demands a long look.

I also believe this time on the sidelines could really benefit Jake and make him a better QB. We'll see.

Whatever QB is back there could really benefit from a great running game. I like our backs but we REALLY need to bring in a gamebreaker to hand the ball to.

Dak cant pass it at a D1 level yet....maybe never, nobody knows. He needs the RS

What happens if Jake goes out there and lights it up and we beat Ass to Mouth? Everybody flip back over to Bentley ?
That's about as likely to happen as my being chosen as the next Playboy centerfold.

We have a solid chance in this game, and quite frankly need it heading into the bye week. Multiple turnovers from the QB position will bury us, I don't think we can play pin ball with these guys and win some crazy shoot out

We have a solid chance in this game, and quite frankly need it heading into the bye week. Multiple turnovers from the QB position will bury us, I don't think we can play pin ball with these guys and win some crazy shoot out
Silly penalties and missed tackles will also hurt us in this game. We will need a couple turnovers on defense to steal a possession or two.

Nepotism is why he never got a real shot. You'll never convince me otherwise. I know what I saw Saturday and every time he played in the spring game. When you leave a QB in that keeps turning the ball over that says a lot. Even Dabo isn't dumb enough to start his son just because he's his son.
So where was the nepotism when they started McIlwain those first few games? Jake was clearly better when he came in and started the rest of the season.

Reactions: cockal
So where was the nepotism when they started McIlwain those first few games? Jake was clearly better when he came in and started the rest of the season.
Jake isn't clearly better than Scar though.

He hasn't beaten Bentley out or even replaced him in a game that mattered even when Bentley has made terrible throws.
Do you expect HIM to sit Jake? Because the coaching staff wouldn't. If a 9 yard half doesn't sit you, you're impervious to bad performances.

Do you expect HIM to sit Jake? Because the coaching staff wouldn't. If a 9 yard half doesn't sit you, you're impervious to bad performances.[/QUOTE]
But Kentucky has a great defense!

Reactions: paladin181
Do you expect HIM to sit Jake? Because the coaching staff wouldn't. If a 9 yard half doesn't sit you, you're impervious to bad performances.
But again, how many were easy passes dropped by NFL caliber WRs? For the life of me, I don' know why they don't target Shi Smith more. He's incapable of dropping the ball. He also has the speed that kills.

Jake should most definitely be the starter, if healthy. I think he is much more athletic and has stronger arm than Scar

Don’t overreact to one really bad half , and one pretty decent game, at home against Mizzou

22-28, 254 YDS, 2 TD
18-28, 187, 1 TD

( Jakes stats against mizzou)

Hey, it’s not the ideal qb situation, but until DJ shows out or Hillinski comes in , it’s the best we got

Jake should most definitely be the starter, if healthy. I think he is much more athletic and has stronger arm than Scar

Don’t overreact to one really bad half , and one pretty decent game, at home against Mizzou

22-28, 254 YDS, 2 TD
18-28, 187, 1 TD

( Jakes stats against mizzou)

Hey, it’s not the ideal qb situation, but until DJ shows out or Hillinski comes in , it’s the best we got
Really bad half? You mean ry bad yea? Take out coastal game and look at his stats. What do you see?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT