ADVERTISEMENT

Did you know that Brad Scott had our first

I didn't the story about Jeff Scott going off about our program. Please give me the Cliff Notes!
Thanks in advance.
It was an article that essentially quoted him at length talking about how motivated the Scott family is to beat Carolina. If you hadn't known any better, you'd have think we did him really dirty somehow.

Brad Scott DID win our first bowl game...yeah, we remember. He did have 2 winning seasons (out of five). He also finished 10 games below .500, bottomed out in year five with 1 win, and was very well paid by the university for his time here.
The way rivalries work is: anyone affiliated with the enemy becomes the enemy. No one faulted Scott for taking another coaching job when USC fired him. Maybe he didn't need to go to the rival school of the players he recruited and coached for 5 years, but again, people also understood that he had a connection with the Bowdens.
He was treated well while he was here, paid well when he was fired, and no one (to my knowledge) ever mistreated, attacked, or abused (other than message board-type stuff) him after he left. I'm pretty sure he knew what comes with the territory of being an SEC football coach who flops and destroys a football program...not that we were much before he came.

Last edited:
I doubt that there’s a young guy on here that wouldn’t like to do the same thing Brad did,after being fired,if given the opportunity. Only difference is you haven’t had the opportunity. Lot of hatred for a fellow man.

I doubt that there’s a young guy on here that wouldn’t like to do the same thing Brad did,after being fired,if given the opportunity. Only difference is you haven’t had the opportunity. Lot of hatred for a fellow man.

Sticking it to your former employer? Sure. But to sticking it to the 18-22 year olds that didn’t fire you, probably felt bad about your firing, and the kids that trusted you? Nah, no desire to be that big of an a$$hole.

Reactions: rogue cock
USC took a chance on Brad. He had good HS ties but was an aweful coach. It didn’t work out He was the worse at making 1/2 time adjustments that I have ever seen. Still is the worst there ever was. He was steadily demoted from every position he had as an infield coach. Says everything. He is the epitome of what I consider the tater fanbase to be like. No morals. Will do anything for money and has cock envy. Other than that he’s prob a good dude.

I don't hate anyone, even Dabo. If I were Scott and had just gotten fired, I totally would have taken the job at Clemson. But getting carried off the field after the 1999 game in front of his former players did not endear him to any Carolina fans. If you can't understand that, I don't know how to help you. That said, I don't think too many Carolina fans really even think about him anymore. We've accomplished things as a program under Holtz and Spurrier that Scott could never have done in his wildest dreams.

Sticking it to your former employer? Sure. But to sticking it to the 18-22 year olds that didn’t fire you, probably felt bad about your firing, and the kids that trusted you? Nah, no desire to be that big of an a$$hole.
Do you think the 18-22 year olds should share the blame for 1-10 season? Don’t think Brad took any snaps during the season.

Do you think the 18-22 year olds should share the blame for 1-10 season? Don’t think Brad took any snaps during the season.

I believe they were in it together. They didn’t fire him. No reason to stick it to his players. If you think otherwise you are a moron. Which you are sort of already proving.

I don’t know if you notice, but 99% of the coaches that have been fired don’t do POS moves like that...

I just never understood the hate for “Great Scott”. He had some bad years, but we’ve had other coaches that have had bad years. Amirite?

I just never understood the hate for “Great Scott”. He had some bad years, but we’ve had other coaches that have had bad years. Amirite?

Sparky Woods didn't get carried off the field of Williams-Brice in front of his former players in 1994. See the difference? Being a bad coach is one thing, and Scott was the worst we've ever had. But sticking it to his former players was a low blow. Quit being obtuse.

No you are not right...

Again...let’s go through this. Try and hang with me...

Steve Spurrier - Great = Didn’t go to arch rival, let rival carry him off the field in front of his former players.

Lou Holtz - good = Didn’t go to arch rival, let rival carry him off the field in front of his former players.

Sparky Woods - Terrible = Didn’t go to arch rival, let rival carry him off the field in front of his former players.

Joe Morrison - Decent = Died. Didn’t go to arch rival, let rival carry him off the field in front of his former players.

How far back you want to go? They all end with not being carried off the field at Williams-Brice in front of his former players by our rival. A real POS move. And for the record, Scott was pretty terrible. Possibly the worst we’ve ever had. He won with Sparky’s players and left the program in shambles. You could say Holtz won with Scott’s players...but Holtz had a lot of his guys contribute as well (Brewer, Pinnock, Watson, Jenkins, etc...) Not to mention, Holtz’s last season we went 6-5. Hell of a lot better than 1-10. But Scott decided he wanted to play the role of villain. No reason to defend the a$$hole.

No you are not right...

Again...let’s go through this. Try and hang with me...

Steve Spurrier - Great = Didn’t go to arch rival, let rival carry him off the field in front of his former players.

Lou Holtz - good = Didn’t go to arch rival, let rival carry him off the field in front of his former players.

Sparky Woods - Terrible = Didn’t go to arch rival, let rival carry him off the field in front of his former players.

Joe Morrison - Decent = Died. Didn’t go to arch rival, let rival carry him off the field in front of his former players.

How far back you want to go? They all end with not being carried off the field at Williams-Brice in front of his former players by our rival. A real POS move. And for the record, Scott was pretty terrible. Possibly the worst we’ve ever had. He won with Sparky’s players and left the program in shambles. You could say Holtz won with Scott’s players...but Holtz had a lot of his guys contribute as well (Brewer, Pinnock, Watson, Jenkins, etc...) Not to mention, Holtz’s last season we went 6-5. Hell of a lot better than 1-10. But Scott decided he wanted to play the role of villain. No reason to defend the a$$hole.
That was great, but the question was,”are you a picture of health”

bowl win? With that being said, how many of you that refer to him as, Fat Brad or Fat Bradstard, are a picture of health?
Yeah I know he was coach in 95 when we won the car quest bowl. Do you?
I remember watching the 1980 bowl game against Pitt too

Scott sucked. He actually went for smaller size players. It helped get us steam rolled in lots of games

Shocked that there is even one Brad “Tater Tot” Scott apologist among the Carolina fan base. He belongs in the hall of infamy with Darrin Horn and Steve Newton. A forgettable coach who did not advance the program and spit on the the school that gave him a chance.

Thought experiment - Imagine had we hired Mark Richt from Bowden’s FSU staff instead of Fat Brad (Richt was QB coach when Brad was OC and coached Charlie Ward and Chris Weinke to Heisman Trophies and was arguably the real talent on FSU offensive coaching staff).

Last edited:
Shocked that there is even one Brad “Tater Tot” Scott apologist among the Carolina fan base. He belongs in the hall of infamy with Darrin Horn and Steve Newton. A forgettable coach who did not advance the program and spit on the the school that gave him a chance.

Thought experiment - Imagine had we hired Mark Richt from Bowden’s FSU staff instead of Fat Brad (Richt was QB coach when Brad was OC and coached Charlie Ward and Chris Weinke to Heisman Trophies and was arguably the real talent on FSU offensive coaching staff).
We hired the title (OC) not the best coach. Would have taken brains and balls to hire a QB coach.

if history is any indicator we would have ruined Mark and Brad would have just wrapped up his coaching career at Georgia.....

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
Someone should tell his son that his daddy won with Sparky’s players

He was a stupid hire to begin with; did King Dixon hire him? He was the OC at FSU, but in name, only, since Bobby Bowden actually called the plays.

bowl win? With that being said, how many of you that refer to him as, Fat Brad or Fat Bradstard, are a picture of health?
Yeah he took Sparky Wood's players and won the 1st bowl and got worse every year after that. Other than Richard Bell, Fat Brad is the worse coach we have had since i have been watching Carolina football.

USC took a chance on Brad. He had good HS ties but was an aweful coach. It didn’t work out He was the worse at making 1/2 time adjustments that I have ever seen. Still is the worst there ever was. He was steadily demoted from every position he had as an infield coach. Says everything. He is the epitome of what I consider the tater fanbase to be like. No morals. Will do anything for money and has cock envy. Other than that he’s prob a good dude.
And don't forget Wally Burnham's sorry defenses to go with it.

He also negatively recruited against SC on a level nobody had ever seen. Moreover, he had one of our graduate assistants sneak out a playbook during the Holtz years and bring it to him. True story. The GA got caught and fired.
Robby Wells

Sparky Woods didn't get carried off the field of Williams-Brice in front of his former players in 1994. See the difference? Being a bad coach is one thing, and Scott was the worst we've ever had. But sticking it to his former players was a low blow. Quit being obtuse.
In 1994, Sparky was with the NY Jets....

In 1994, Sparky was with the NY Jets....

This is a true fact. Hence, he didn't get carried off the field after coaching with a rival team in Williams-Brice stadium the year after he got fired. Hence, he is not as disliked by Carolina fans as Brad Scott.

Reactions: mannblack
This is a true fact. Hence, he didn't get carried off the field after coaching with a rival team in Williams-Brice stadium the year after he got fired. Hence, he is not as disliked by Carolina fans as Brad Scott.
I never look at all the angles

Never thought of it that way.

Mike McGee came in as a new AD and wanted to stamp his own mark on the football program.
So, he fired Sparky Woods and hired Brad Scott. (Who was reputed to be a top recruiter and the OC at a hot FSU program at the time.)
Sparky should've been fired after the Citadel loss. When Jack Crowe, the coach at Arkansas, lost to the Cid, he found all his stuff in a box when he got back to the office.

I guess the fact someone is actually asking this question shows my age. Having said that, I was at that first bowl win and at every game during that era. Based on reputation Brad was absolutely the best hire we could have made. He came in with his high flying offense and made Tanneyhill look like a Heisman winner. We were setting offensive records. His downfall was Wally Burnham, a pathetic defensive coordinator. Won't ramble too much about all of this but the fact is Brad recruited his ass off at Carolina and his players were mostly responsible for our success and bowl wins under Holtz.

Personally I have very fond memories of Brad being here until close to the end. I truly believe if Wally hadn't been such an influence on Brad that he probably would have continued to have offensive success (look at his recruiting); couple that with a competent defensive coordinator and who knows where we would have gone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT