ADVERTISEMENT

Do ACADEMICS play any part in college football?

Southern Fried Chicken

Gold Member
Sep 6, 2022
Perhaps, so we may better understand the strength of your opinion, please leave a 1 to 10 level of comment.

EXAMPLE: Academics are no longer involved in college sports = 0

Academics may matter to a particular student/athlete, but what percentage is known only to the administration.
The demands on the players to lift weights, study game films, and team practice is an overwhelming factor. Does the system discourage the "student" in the student/athlete?

So I give academics a higher grade: 5.

My grandson is long snapper for a Division One FCS school (Norfolk State). He has a full scholarship and carries a full load. He is is majoring in Sports Training - lots of anatomy and applied science.

He's a Dean's List student. His education, and the scholarship that is providing it, mean a lot to him.

Obviously he doesn't benefit from NIL much. He has a couple of little deals to advertise attire on his social media accounts, but I can assure you that college would mean a lot to him in any circumstance.

No, I'm not comparing his situation to that of a high-profile Power Five player. I'm certain, though, that there must be an appreciable number of players at all levels whose educations matter to them.

Last edited:
The education matters to the athlete that recognizes the leg up that 5, maybe even 6, years of free education provides. You can make up the relatively small class load you take in-season with 2 sessions of summer classes. These athletes, specifically the football and basketball, almost never go home. It’s a big sacrifice that the average student can’t relate to. So, the smart ones soak as much education as they can while it’s on the school’s dime. I know several athletes that walked away with multiple degrees by the time their eligibility was up. So, I would agree with the responses of about a 5. Unfortunately, too many kids see their athletic gift as a way to get over in life and squander the opportunities that an education provides. @KingWard, with the way we have butted heads over the years, who knew your grandson would be playing ball at an HBCU. My son is a freshman corner at Winston-Salem State (CIAA). However, we played your conference champ, NC Central, in our first game. They beat us 47-21. May cross paths before our kids graduate.

Last edited:
Not very much. But I don’t know.

Watch BS High on HBO.

For lots of ncaa football athletes, College is just a stepping stone leading to the NFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricalCock89
Depends on the ability of the player....if you are j clowney you are a 1 on the scale...if you are 3rd string...it is a 7.

Perhaps, so we may better understand the strength of your opinion, please leave a 1 to 10 level of comment.

EXAMPLE: Academics are no longer involved in college sports = 0

Why does it matter?

Why do you care?

(I personally don't care at all. I watch football games to watch football).

When was the last time a recruit didn't make it in based on academics? When was the last time a player missed a game because of academics?

The answer to those two questions gives you a barometer on just how much of a factor academics play now days.

When was the last time a recruit didn't make it in based on academics? When was the last time a player missed a game because of academics?

The answer to those two questions gives you a barometer on just how much of a factor academics play now days.
Actually there have been quite a few players that have been denied Admission over the years. One was at a position of need this year. Jackson Jeffcoat from Irmo wanted to come back home but was denied Admission and ended up at Arkansas. That is the problem with denying admission in this climate. There is always a competitor that will grant the player admission if he is good enough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT