ADVERTISEMENT

Do you Pull For SEC always??

Do you pull For ALL SEC teams when they Play teams from other Conferences??

• Yes

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • NO

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • (And for you WISHYWASHY) Sometimes

Votes: 13 18.6%

• Total voters
people on this board fail to realize, SC had their best run in school history when Florida and Tenn. had down years.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
bosoxcock is right, you don't pull for your opponents. That is asinine and there is no way it helps. Nobody cares if you are continually mid to bottom feeders. You are fooling yourself if you think Alabama winning 6 NC's helps SC. It doesn't. It helps Alabama. If it was such a big help, why is the program where it is now? We've been in the league since 1992 I think. That's 26 years by my math. Only managed to win the DIVISION once? Why are we really not better than when we had Big George and were an independent? Where were we in 1984? Pull your heads out of the sand and recognize the FACT that all our opponents success does not equal improvement on our end.

POTD

bosoxcock is right, you don't pull for your opponents. That is asinine and there is no way it helps. Nobody cares if you are continually mid to bottom feeders. You are fooling yourself if you think Alabama winning 6 NC's helps SC. It doesn't. It helps Alabama. If it was such a big help, why is the program where it is now? We've been in the league since 1992 I think. That's 26 years by my math. Only managed to win the DIVISION once? Why are we really not better than when we had Big George and were an independent? Where were we in 1984? Pull your heads out of the sand and recognize the FACT that all our opponents success does not equal improvement on our end.
i disagree, I say You are wrong, I will not call you names, just say i disagree. More money to the Conference does in fact help South Carolina, but even second to that, I pull for SEC, just like I pull for a USA baseball team even if Tater plyers are on the team.. But that is MY OPINION, and i would not call you names if you disagreed... but hey, I am also a Conservative.. GO COCKS, GO SEC!!

Reactions: lowcountry_cock13

correct..
if it helped other teams in the SEC when Bama won 6 championships, then why was LSU, Georgia, Texas A&M, Florida, Tenn, ..all looking for new coaches the last few years

Reactions: acmnni1
i disagree, I say You are wrong, I will not call you names, just say i disagree. More money to the Conference does in fact help South Carolina, but even second to that, I pull for SEC, just like I pull for a USA baseball team even if Tater plyers are on the team.. But that is MY OPINION, and i would not call you names if you disagreed... but hey, I am also a Conservative.. GO COCKS, GO SEC!!
And being in the SEC is not only lucrative but it’s a good recruiting tool. If the name SEC is prestigious, then we are the only SEC team in SC and NC...I guarantee Boom and Company are selling this hard, being able to play for SEC and playing against those in the SEC which holds some of the finest venues in the country. SEC only stays prestigious if they win and beat other conferences.

And being in the SEC is not only lucrative but it’s a good recruiting tool. If the name SEC is prestigious, then we are the only SEC team in SC and NC...I guarantee Boom and Company are selling this hard, being able to play for SEC and playing against those in the SEC which holds some of the finest venues in the country. SEC only stays prestigious if they win and beat other conferences.
I agree, I would rather SC be a little fish in a Big pond, than a Big FIsh in a little pond, (hopefully the fish gets Biger) Especially if it is more lucrative financially.. I am sure, a player that is recruited by South Carolina now, would not even consider SC if they were in say Conference USA, nothing against Conferernce USA, just saying being part ot the Greatest Conference is an asset, not a liability.. AGAIN IN MY OPINION..

I agree, I would rather SC be a little fish in a Big pond, than a Big FIsh in a little pond, (hopefully the fish gets Biger) Especially if it is more lucrative financially.. I am sure, a player that is recruited by South Carolina now, would not even consider SC if they were in say Conference USA, nothing against Conferernce USA, just saying being part ot the Greatest Conference is an asset, not a liability.. AGAIN IN MY OPINION..

BINGO!!! We aren't getting that new Ops building or all the other upgrades to ALL facilities (there are other sports than football) without the money from the SEC.

But by the "strictly unscientific" Poll, i am in the Minority 39% to 47%

Clemson doesnt seem to have a problem getting top talent ....plenty of the best talent want to play for Clemson
Dabo has done an excellent job of selling that program. Kids aren't going there because of the conference. That's for sure. Most of their conference games come with a ho hum experience where as just about all of our conference games have a big game atmosphere. It's also why we were finishing with top-10 rankings with 2 losses. 2 loss ACC teams barely crack the top-20 most of the time.

I understand that the VAST majority of people disagree with me but it's awful hard to argue that everyone else you are cheering for to win championships has resulted in us winning anything. 1 division title in 26 years all the while screaming SEC is not a recipe for success. All of those teams losing and us winning translates a whole better to me. Just saying. It would suit me for the entire East to go winless and the West to do the same. I refuse to pull for teams I have to play every year and recruit against every year. It makes zero sense to me. Money, Nick Saban holding up another trophy, TV, is obviously not helping move the program to an elite level. Like Bosocks said, do you think Clemson is pulling for FSU to win anything? Hell no. But to each his own. I have come to realize over the past 26 years that the majority of Gamecock fans will never stop chanting SEC.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Hell no. Always kinda liked MSU though, so I’m pulling for them in the CWS, but I’ll be madder than a little bit if the Gatas are the most recent back 2 back winners. As for the Bama myth, I will never ride their coat tails, but surely I’ll pull for them over the Tates, I also smiled when they beat UGA the way they did, but then, we’ve all experienced Dawg fans for years. As an aside, I’m sad my niece (who is an exceptional student) got rejected by Carolina 3 times.....but will now be going to Bama in the fall. She wanted to come here more than anything. Oh well, she’ll never be disappointed on Saturday for pretty much the rest of her life.

Old Joke:

If clempson (or Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, etc) had to play a football game against alien invaders and the winners got to rule our world, I would sit in the stands with a sign that says;
"Welcome To Earth".

I'd rather watch a game with an uga fan or tater that openly is pulling against us than one that says they hope we win every game except when we play them. Here are my problems with that:
1. They are lying
2. They aren't real fans of their school.
3. They are lying
4. I don't trust them in anything else they say.
5. Social norms try to force me to say nice things about their school in return. Ain't gonna do it.
6. They are lying.

In the football national championship, if both teams are from SEC members, then the league receives twice the $$$ than if just one of the teams is from an SEC school.

$$$ does not guarantee success, although spending the revenue on coaches' salaries and top-notch facilities may aid recruiting.

no..pulling for a college conference....that would be like Boston Red Sox fans pulling for teams in the eastern division of the American League in the playoffs...or when the yankees play any other team during the season
......... it makes no sense
Your reply makes no sense. Apples and oranges comparing pro to college. The strength of the SEC is one of the most beneficial tools we have in recruiting. Kids want to play in the best conference in the country. Nobody says I want to play in the American League East. It’s about playing for A winning team and the Benjamins.

I pretty much always do. In-conference I always pull for what benefits the Gamecocks. I was even pulling for Florida to come back and beat Ga Southern a few years back because of how bad that looks for the conference.

Understand the arguments against it. There is just so much SEC hate I enjoy seeing the critics silenced. I guess it’s more of a “being right” about the SEC being the toughest conference rather than “being wrong”.

I pull against UGA no matter who they're playing. If that means against Clemson, so be it.

Do you live in Georgia? Ex-wife a Bulldog or something? Those are the only possible explanations I could understand?

Your reply makes no sense. Apples and oranges comparing pro to college. The strength of the SEC is one of the most beneficial tools we have in recruiting. Kids want to play in the best conference in the country. Nobody says I want to play in the American League East. It’s about playing for A winning team and the Benjamins.

Oh i make a lot of sense ... I don't pull for anyone in the SEC and I don't pull for anyone in the American League east ... It's very SIMPLE , no more no less... if you read my post slower

Last edited:

How's the strength of the SEC helped SC in the last 26 years

How's Alabama winning 6 national championships helping Georgia , Florida , tenn . LSU , Tex. AM ... All were looking for new coaches the last 2 years

How's the strength of the SEC helped SC in the last 26 years

How's Alabama winning 6 national championships helping Georgia , Florida , tenn . LSU , Tex. AM ... All were looking for new coaches the last 2 years

In that span UGA and LSU both played for a National Title. A&M isn’t any worse off than they were before entering the SEC. They do have about the deepest pockets in the conference now. You left off Auburn who has also played in a national championship game during that span. I’d say making it to a National Title Game is pretty huge.

Your point makes most sense when we lose a player to Alabama on the recruiting trail. But at the same time, the conference is so difficult because players want to play in the biggest games and those games are the big time SEC matchups every week. No doubt that’s a boost to our recruiting. Surely that win over #1 Alabama gave us a boost in recruiting. Maybe not more than Alabama has, which is your point. But it helps us against teams from other conferences.

Recruits have been talking about playing in the SEC for years. They arent doing that if the teams aren’t winning titles.

It took SC a long time to compete in the SEC. But once we did we had our best 3 year run in history. We don’t get Lattimore, Clowney, Gilmore, etc if we are independent or in the ACC. I truly believe that. We’ve benefitted facility wise raking in $ from big TV contracts they pay to the conference that gets the best ratings. Best ratings because the biggest games. Look at the improvements at Williams Brice over the past 26 years. No doubt the SEC $ has helped and that doesn’t come without success.

Not to mention, if you win the SEC you are in the playoff. Period. If we were in the ACC, we’d be NC State at best. The SEC gives us the platform. It’s up to SC to take advantage of that.

Does that mean SC fans should pull for SEC teams? No. That’s all there regardless. But at the same time I don’t think there is a right or wrong. More of a preference.

Last edited:
Reactions: funktavious
I always pull for the SEC. They are exciting games and there is such a thing as conference pride because it pisses off members of other conferences so much. Other fans of other conferences get so mad when SEC fans chant SEC. That's a good enuff reason to do it.

I like Harbaugh so pull for Mich. I pull for Col St now that Bobo is their coach. I pull for Wash St because of Leach. I like Bobo because one time when he was at Ga announcers mentioned that he had five children under that age of five-something like that. I think they had triplets. Now if he can just do at Col St what he does in the bedroom he will be a hot commodity. I hate Texas even more now that unowho is their HC. Maybe there is something to a coach smooching players before a game.:)

Last edited:
i promise Alabama fans dont pull for Auburn and vice versa...

Fans of bottom feeder teams tend to pull for the top teams in their conference.

Alabama pulling for auburn would be like us pulling for CleMson.

I have been to CleMson games with friends and if it is an acc vs sec game on at someone’s tailgate they always pull for their conference. I see the same thing at our games. Except for maybe Tennessee I think we want Tennessee to lose every game

Reactions: funktavious
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT