ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone know why Napier or Chadwell DIDN'T get

Cockish

Apr 11, 2017
the job? I have my own unverifiable opinion that Beamer was picked based on his popularity and that he was a bargain (no HC or coordinator experience on his resume to banter for higher pay).

And yes, I know Beamer is now the coach and I support him but I was curious as to some valid thoughts on why the others weren't hired. Thank you, Go Cocks!

Reactions: DeBoer31
the job? I have my own unverifiable opinion that Beamer was picked based on his popularity and that he was a bargain (no HC or coordinator experience on his resume to banter for higher pay).

And yes, I know Beamer is now the coach and I support him but I was curious as to some valid thoughts on why the others weren't hired. Thank you, Go Cocks!
Because the people in charge of the hiring are idiots. Or they just don't want to see us win. It's got to be one of those two.

I don't think Chadwell made the finals. It was between Napier and Beamer just like we all thought. Satterfield may have been 3rd.

Napier didn't want to be here as much as Beamer wanted to be here. While I don't know for certain, I also suspect he had some specific job demands (support staff) that SC either did not like or did not want to spend the money. It may have been as simple as his personality.

Because Ray Tanner is a rube and an awful judge of talent. Tanner should have been fired before or at the same time as Muschamp was fired. Then, a real AD could have hired a real football coach. Ole Ray got used and abused again by a coach’s agent.

Because the people hiring didn’t feel they would be successful

Napier apparently wanted a ton of money, more than an above average g5 coach deserves

Chadwell has had one successful season a bcs level and there are a ton of questions regarding him moving up to SEC level

Reactions: Cockish
I’ve been told that Napier’s agent had been talking to USC for 3 weeks and also Unofficially talking to people in Tennessee about a possible opening. Once that was found out his stock dropped. As for Chadwell, USC was concerned with Charleston Southern NCAA violations that resulted in 18 games being fortified and CSU being placed on two years probation.

Reactions: Cockish
I’ve been told that Napier’s agent had been talking to USC for 3 weeks and also Unofficially talking to people in Tennessee about a possible opening. Once that was found out his stock dropped. As for Chadwell, USC was concerned with Charleston Southern NCAA violations that resulted in 18 games being fortified and CSU being placed on two years probation.
I'm not questioning your source, but what I don't understand is why considering or just inquiring about another job opportunity would be a disqualification. I'm sure there are many out there, my self included at one time had to decide between 2 job opportunities. Just because you interview for several jobs does not mean you are showing any disrespect, but you do owe it to yourself and family to seek out the best opportunity.
Again, assuming this is true.

The fact that we wasted time even considering Satterfield tells me the people in charge don’t have a clue. Not a clue. Maybe they got lucky with Beamer but Satterfield is a loser.

What makes you think Chadwell wanted it? He'll get a nice raise and he probably has some boosters putting a few $$ in his pocket.

The fact that we wasted time even considering Satterfield tells me the people in charge don’t have a clue. Not a clue. Maybe they got lucky with Beamer but Satterfield is a loser.

I don’t agree.

Interviewing someone like Satterfield may not mean a job offer extended to him, but his answers or opinions may open up a viewpoint or thought process that maybe was overlooked.

It’s never a waste of time to talk with someone.

Chadwell, the one you never heard of, is #10 in the nation with a 10-0 record. Definitely not qualified for USC.

Reactions: F-86F
I don’t agree.

Interviewing someone like Satterfield may not mean a job offer extended to him, but his answers or opinions may open up a viewpoint or thought process that maybe was overlooked.

And they could also get his opinions/insights on certain coaches he has faced during his tenure.

I don’t agree.

Tell with a winner then. Campbell, Fickell, etc. I don’t care what a loser from Loserville has to say.

i know for a fact that Chadwell is very loyal to his staff, and wanted to bring a lot of them with him. The University was ok with it, but not as coordinators.

What was the point of the search firm to just end up with a hire you could have had the second muschamp was sent packing? More wasted time and money. We have a knack for that. Cheap low hanging fruit, I hope it pays dividends. Underwhelming is an understatement.

I read that Napier and Satterfield opted out, I guess they figured they couldn't do the job. Chadwell ?. I like and will support Beamer.

Because Ray Tanner is a rube and an awful judge of talent. Tanner should have been fired before or at the same time as Muschamp was fired. Then, a real AD could have hired a real football coach. Ole Ray got used and abused again by a coach’s agent.
Not arguing but I thought I read that the agent you are referring to was Napier's agent as well.
lol, love it when people ask the forum "does anyone know..."
Hey man! I get that it's a public forum and asking if "anyone knows" will bring all kinds of replies but I'm cheap and don't want to waste any of my good earned $$$ on a premium page. BUT, if you want to pay my premium, then I'm down with that. 👍

Just my thoughts...big donors, players, admin personnel knew and liked Beamer. Tanner followed suit. For Caslen, he has all that, and his institution gets the image that it is wanted, accepted immediately by a candidate, and is a place "I want to be." And Beamer is a terrific image and can do push-ups with Caslen every morning.

I think Tanner knew who he wanted to hire after last years season. Maybe Beamer was guy the whole time and he wasn’t going to change his plan when Napier and Chadwell performed very well this year.

I think Tanner knew who he wanted to hire after last years season. Maybe Beamer was guy the whole time and he wasn’t going to change his plan when Napier and Chadwell performed very well this year.
My understanding it was when the Miss State search was going on last year....and there were reportedly (from the MSU site) discussions being had.

I don’t agree.

These folks just don't understand things like due diligence, yet they're expert AD's and coaches, LOL.

Because the people hiring didn’t feel they would be successful

Napier apparently wanted a ton of money, more than an above average g5 coach deserves

Chadwell has had one successful season a bcs level and there are a ton of questions regarding him moving up to SEC level
Did Beamer have better credentials than a head coach that is winning lots of games? Are there no questions about Beamer's first head coaching gig being in the SEC?

Did Beamer have better credentials than a head coach that is winning lots of games? Are there no questions about Beamer's first head coaching gig being in the SEC?
Better credentials? Apparently. He has been tutored as a HC under some of the best ever, and current hottest name in CFB. Has worked in each of the major conferences.

G5 head coaching success for one year, apparently doesn’t trump that. Doesnt for me either. Would people have been yelling for Chadwell if he had two losses on the year?

if two losses would disqualify you from consideration then that’s not a strong candidate

i know for a fact that Chadwell is very loyal to his staff, and wanted to bring a lot of them with him. The University was ok with it, but not as coordinators.

If this is true, it shows how inept Ray is. Hey, come be our HC and do what you have done in other places, but we will tell you who you can and can't hire, cause you know we are the smartest people in the room.

Better credentials? Apparently. He has been tutored as a HC under some of the best ever, and current hottest name in CFB. Has worked in each of the major conferences.

G5 head coaching success for one year, apparently doesn’t trump that. Doesnt for me either. Would people have been yelling for Chadwell if he had two losses on the year?

if two losses would disqualify you from consideration then that’s not a strong candidate
But never being a head coach moves you up to the top of the list ?
Chadwell didnt lose two games, that is why he is a much better pick. Our AD is just as blind as some of our fans.

I don't think Chadwell made the finals. It was between Napier and Beamer just like we all thought. Satterfield may have been 3rd.

Napier didn't want to be here as much as Beamer wanted to be here. While I don't know for certain, I also suspect he had some specific job demands (support staff) that SC either did not like or did not want to spend the money. It may have been as simple as his personality.

Napier has a phenomenal personality. He is a winner and is laser focused on building a winning program. He saw first hand what it took to do it at Clemson, he then was able to see a different perspective on it while working for Saban. Ms. St. wanted him bad last year, i would imagine every team looking for a new HC will want to talk to Billy.

Napier has a phenomenal personality. He is a winner and is laser focused on building a winning program. He saw first hand what it took to do it at Clemson, he then was able to see a different perspective on it while working for Saban. Ms. St. wanted him bad last year, i would imagine every team looking for a new HC will want to talk to Billy.
Napier wasn't a good fit at USC. He has head coaching experience and he is winning too many games.

I’ve been told that Napier’s agent had been talking to USC for 3 weeks and also Unofficially talking to people in Tennessee about a possible opening. Once that was found out his stock dropped.

Only this administration would choose to pursue a coach that no other school would talk to and pretend that is a good thing. If Napier's agent was talking to TN, well good for him, that is what he was paid to do.

Napier has proven himself and is in demand. I guess we didn't fall for the trick of believing past performance is indicative of future success.

Quite the opposite actually, if you have never tried, you have never failed, so you must be good if you have never failed.

Only this administration would choose to pursue a coach that no other school would talk to and pretend that is a good thing. If Napier's agent was talking to TN, well good for him, that is what he was paid to do.

Napier has proven himself and is in demand. I guess we didn't fall for the trick of believing past performance is indicative of future success.

Quite the opposite actually, if you have never tried, you have never failed, so you must be good if you have never failed.
Tanner hired Beamer because Tanner's head is still stuck in the same place it was when he hired Muschamp.

The issues at CSU weren't on Chadwell. That was an athletic department issue. Regardless my feelings on Napier and Chadwell:

Napier -- I am not sure he was as enthusiastic about being here if USC was going to continue as is and lag behind the financial and staffing support that the Georgia's and Bama's have at their disposal. He knows he is going to have opportunities and why take a job unless the program was in equal footing with the teams they need to beat.

Chadwell-- For some reason, Chadwell always seemed 2nd to Napier in the sitting coach pecking order. Not sure why. Did understand that he wanted to bring his while staff, and that might not have been what they wanted to hear. Suppose they value SEC experience. Of course that worked well with Muschamp.

Beamer on the other hand has been dying to be a head football coach. Almost willing to take a job under any conditions. He has a famous last name in football circles, is a nice guy, and doesn't seem to be one to make waves.

If this is true, it shows how inept Ray is. Hey, come be our HC and do what you have done in other places, but we will tell you who you can and can't hire, cause you know we are the smartest people in the room.
A whole coaching staff in the sec with zero p5 experience? That would have been insane

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT