ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone listen to 107.5 anymore?

I use to listen to it on the internet...but not close enough to Columbia to listen on radio. Don't bother now. It is not because of the radio station...it is because the USC teams have not been that successful to listen to news about them.

What was there to ruin? The programming has always been horrible, and absolutely nothing has been done to improve it. They need better on air personalities. Jay Philips needs to go and take all of that off topic chatter with him.

Rarely.

The morning show on "107.5, The Commercial" is just beyond abysmal!!! They must bring in 90% of all the station's revenue with the amount of commercials they play.:eek:

And now that we're in the darkest part of the off season, all the afternoon guys want to talk about is NBA and hockey. I'd just as soon like to hear about that class-action lawsuit over trans-vaginal mesh or something. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Carey's addition has really improved Heath's show. I find Heath more likeable when he's just discussing sports with another guy rather than pontificating solo. They should make them a permanent duo.

Of course, that would only accomplish improving what is already the station's best show. The morning show needs a complete reboot with new personalities. Jay was a solid sidekick to Mike Morgan. He's good in that role. Just don't think he's strong enough to host his own show.

Jay needs to be on a station somewhere that will let him talk about himself nonstop.

Reactions: RayGilda
I used to but not any more. It started with Heath Cline....he's as dull as it gets.....his voice grates my nerves. The morning show is plain dreadful.

Only for the Dan Patrick show.

This. The vast majority of the national shows are much more entertaining. Also, the worst thing 107.5 does is literally every single show will play the exact same Frank Martin/Chad Holbrook/Steve Spurrier interview over and over again. Seriously, how lazy is it to do that? It's like the hosts and producers just say "Well, instead of coming up with quality content, let's just plug in the same half hour interview our listeners have heard three times already today. Maybe they misheard a word or two."

The only local show that I can listen to is Heath's. I like the addition of Carey but I feel like Heath is fine on his own (with Michael of course). I vote moving Carey to the Lunchtime show to bring in something fresh and hopefully make it worth listening to. Morning show....can't do it.

The morning show with Benji, Tommy, and Bob contains about 30 seconds of sports discussion per hour. As others have mentioned, the amount of ads they live read on the morning show is absurd, it used to get on my nerves, but now I actually enjoy listening just to hear the ridiculous segues Bob makes into an ad. The show has become "so bad it's good" for me.

I don't catch the hour-long Lunch show that much, but it's extremely vanilla and way over-the-top homer. Brent spins everything into a positive about Carolina, and when there's nothing positive to say (as was often this past year in SC men's sports) he'll just start talking about the three 11-win seasons and the national champion baseball teams, rather than offering any critical analysis. I don't know if Brent feels like his contract with USC means he always has to appease them, but it makes his show unlistenable.

Jay and Michael do a good job with the Halftime Show. Jay is a bit of a homer, loves to hear himself speak, and hogs air time when he's interviewing someone, but he is at least knowledgeable about sports. Michael is solid.

Heath's show is great, he's the most prepared sports radio host in SC and can talk about all sorts of sports. You can tell how much homework he does, as he always has a list of interesting sports topics to get listeners engaged.

From 1-7, 107.5 in Columbia is solid and has guys who can knowledgeably speak on college and professional sports.

I'm often stuck listening to Bobby Hartin's show "FanTalk" on 98.9 out of Charleston, it's truly the worst sports show I've ever heard. It's insulting how little Hartin knows about sports. The last few weeks he's made virtually no mention of the NBA Finals, I don't think he watched them or even knew the scores. His station schedules a golf hour every week with an expert, and Hartin just spends the hour talking about how little he knows about golf. I feel bad for the expert, Hartin is giving him nothing to work with and is not even trying to become familiar with the sport. He has zero knowledge of any professional sports, the other day he actually admitted he had never heard of the New York Islanders. His knowledge of college sports is little more than reading scores from the newspaper, and that's his "bread n' butter." Most of his airtime is devoted to trivial topics such as "would you buy a urinal autographed by your favorite athlete."

Those two guys on the afternoon shop talk about politics, health foods, movies made for TV, how to improve one's sex life, the NBA, NFL, Atlanta Braves. Anything and everything but Gamecock sports. Isn't one of them a Tater Alum? One sorry boring waste of air time show.

I remember when Hartman was the Mic man at the Carolina football games

Every weekday, Monday through Friday, plus whenever there is a USC game I`m not attending. I think they do a great job.

Does anyone remember when there was no 107.5?

I understand your frustration, but good grief, if you're talented enough to have a great show, you won't be in Columbia, SC. Most of the guys are understandably one-dimensional; they're local guys who are good on the radio and know not much more than me or you. Heath is the exception. He has a pretty good resume.

I'm often stuck listening to Bobby Hartin's show "FanTalk" on 98.9 out of Charleston, it's truly the worst sports show I've ever heard. It's insulting how little Hartin knows about sports. The last few weeks he's made virtually no mention of the NBA Finals, I don't think he watched them or even knew the scores. His station schedules a golf hour every week with an expert, and Hartin just spends the hour talking about how little he knows about golf. I feel bad for the expert, Hartin is giving him nothing to work with and is not even trying to become familiar with the sport. He has zero knowledge of any professional sports, the other day he actually admitted he had never heard of the New York Islanders. His knowledge of college sports is little more than reading scores from the newspaper, and that's his "bread n' butter." Most of his airtime is devoted to trivial topics such as "would you buy a urinal autographed by your favorite athlete."

You truly know absolutely NOTHING at all about Bobby Hartin, what he knows and doesn't know.

Also, if you say that 107.5 is solid from 1-7 then why listen to Bobby's show if you have such disdain for it and him?

Last edited:
Does anyone remember when there was no 107.5?

I understand your frustration, but good grief, if you're talented enough to have a great show, you won't be in Columbia, SC. Most of the guys are understandably one-dimensional; they're local guys who are good on the radio and know not much more than me or you.

This. What do you expect? In that world, most of the more talented people who have the ability to work in bigger markets or stages move on. I'll admit, 1075 has become really stale but I travel around the state for work and there isn't anything in the state any better. Charleston and Greenville have no one of substantial talent. The people on radio in our state mean well, but are not overly talented. If they cover the team, I'm content.

What's more disturbing is how bad our announcers are. We are an SEC school and should be able to do better.

You truly know absolutely NOTHING at all about Bobby Hartin, what he knows and doesn't know.

Also, if you say that 107.5 is solid from 1-7 then why listen to Bobby's show if you have such disdain for it and him?

I'm in both Columbia and the lowcountry for work, so I get a chance to listen to 107.5 and 98.9. Sorry you disagree about Hartin, but that's my opinion of his show. For instance, the day after game 3 of the NBA Finals (one of the biggest sporting events of the year) Hartin spent the majority of the show discussing whether fans would buy a urinal signed by their favorite athlete. You can't make this stuff up...

I know Bobby personally, and he is very knowledgeable about sports. It's unfair of you to base your view on his knowledge of sports by listening to a few shows here and there when you're down here. Bobby's show is not tailored to be a sports information show, like you would find with SVP and Rusillo, Cowherd, and the like. It's called "FAN TALK" for a reason. He talks about what his callers talk about. If you listen to Bobby as much as you say, then you know that he is not a fan of the NBA. He will give score updates and the like. He will discuss it if callers talk about it (since his show is primarily caller driven), but it's not surprising that someone who is not a fan of a sport does not watch the finals in said sport and doesn't spend 3 hours of his show only talking about that one sport. Bobby also finds the strange sports related stories out there, and talks about them to help generate calls and discussion. There is a reason he's been voted the best call in and talk show in Charleston year after year.

I went to school with Bobby Hartin. He was a huge Clemson fan for many years.

Carey needs a show . The morning show is pure garbage .

Carey can't host his own show. He will always have to have another host there to lead him. Nothing wrong with that, but he will always be a 2 guy and never the man running the show

So you'd have to either put him on with the morning guys, Brent, Jay, or Heath

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT