ADVERTISEMENT

Doobert Sweeney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid not very well. It's kind of like during our run against Clemson from 2009-13. We were just deeper in the trenches so it didn't matter what Clemson had at the skill positions. Well, those tables are completely turned now. They could run any of their QBs-in-waiting and they will push us around at will. Watson might have been the one in all the pictures, but he doesn't hang 60 on us if we had our defense from 5 years ago. Sadly, we have a lot of rebuilding to get back to that level. And boy, I hope I'm wrong.

What about the Noles. What do you think about them? We really need you guys to win the acc again soon...

I'm afraid not very well. It's kind of like during our run against Clemson from 2009-13. We were just deeper in the trenches so it didn't matter what Clemson had at the skill positions. Well, those tables are completely turned now. They could run any of their QBs-in-waiting and they will push us around at will. Watson might have been the one in all the pictures, but he doesn't hang 60 on us if we had our defense from 5 years ago. Sadly, we have a lot of rebuilding to get back to that level. And boy, I hope I'm wrong.

What about the Noles. What do you think about them? We really need you guys to win the acc again soon...
Well, we have most of our 2 deep back. We will be favored to win the ACC in the preseason. But that doesn't mean anything. Gotta play the games. I'm optimistic but we play Alabama right out of the gate so our players better be ready.

They have a way better OL. They have 11 better defensive players. They have a better DC.

Odds are stacked against the Cocks, but I feel, right now, we'll have a fighting chance if our QB is healthy.

Reactions: Gradstudent
They have a way better OL. They have 11 better defensive players. They have a better DC.

Odds are stacked against the Cocks, but I feel, right now, we'll have a fighting chance if our QB is healthy.

How do you know they have a better DC? He's coaching almost all 4 and 5 star guys.

Im not saying our guy is better but there really is no way to compare the 2 coaches at this point.

I like our chances for at least a competitive game. I fully expect them to come in distraught after their season has gone to pot.

Have not heard of this kid OP. You got a Hudl or anything we could take a look at?

I expect Clemson to have a big slide in their offensive production because of their passing game.

I think we will be vastly improved offensively because of the experience we now have coming back.

Hope we can upset NC State because we will be the underdog in our opening game. If we can upset them, maybe we can capture some momentum and have a good competitive season and improve over last year's record.

How do you know they have a better DC? He's coaching almost all 4 and 5 star guys.

Im not saying our guy is better but there really is no way to compare the 2 coaches at this point.
He is a proven DC and he recruited those 5* so he gets credit for that too. A few years ago he didn't have 5* across the board and still fielded a good defense. Hopefully our guy gets to that point but for now you have to give the edge to him. Hopefully the Kansas state job opens soon. Would really like to see that guy gone.

In 2008 we had a very young team that lost to eventual national champion Florida and Tim Tebow on the road in 2008 by a score of 56-6. The next year they came to Columbia with Tebow again and we lost a hard fought game 24-14.

Don't be surprised if we have a close game in Columbia this fall. They lose Watson, Williams, Gallman and Boulware, and our young, talented offense finally has experience and a new OL coach.

I'm sure Florida in 2008 would have never expected they would lose 4 out of the next 6 games to us.....but that's what happened. The one thing that's constant in sports is that things are always changing. You never know what might happen next.

In 2008 we had a very young team that lost to eventual national champion Florida and Tim Tebow on the road in 2008 by a score of 56-6. The next year they came to Columbia with Tebow again and we lost a hard fought game 24-14.

Don't be surprised if we have a close game in Columbia this fall. They lose Watson, Williams, Gallman and Boulware, and our young, talented offense finally has experience and a new OL coach.

I'm sure Florida in 2008 would have never expected they would lose 4 out of the next 6 games to us.....but that's what happened. The one thing that's constant in sports is that things are always changing. You never know what might happen next.

I like your optimism.

Brent Venables
Travaris Robinson

Come on, man. Even certain things are too obvious through the garnet shaded glasses.

T Rob was a football player @ Auburn when Venables started his coaching career in 1999. Venables has earned respect and success through experience and so will T Rob in time. It just might take longer because of the bad situation that Lorenzo Ward left.

Unfortunately, I don't expect it to be very competitive. If USC gets some well timed turnovers it could be respectable. But right now we have no answer for their depth of high level talent across the board. Especially up front. Would love to get back to the days of beating them, but talent wise we are a long way from that point

I think we will win 34-27 and let me explain

1) And most important I will do my special gamecock central sports god prayer for a win, similar to the one I did before the NCAA tournament and prayed for a women's national championship and a men's win in the NCAA tourney, my respectful prayer post was a success if you recall, at the time I did it, seemed a little far fetched, but came true

2) Dabo is 1-3 in Columbia and has never won in Columbia without Deshaun Watson as his QB.

You can look it up, Dabo is 0-3 in Columbia when his QB is not named Watson, 2009, 2011, 2013, outscored 99-47 in those Columbia games with out QB advantage.

giphy.gif

3) And guess who has QB advantage in 2017? We will have the best QB in the game, and he has weapons and a improved offensive line in 2017, Dexter Lawrence and their D will be tough, but Bentley will have a chip based on last years game and it will show. I also look for a Jaylin Dickerson defensive touchdown in the game or Jamyest Williams special teams TD, something like that will occur

4) The post game comments by Clemson and some other stuff is not forgotten.

5) Its a home game, and that is a huge difference maker, and the game should be at night.

9eKwD.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: BigTomE

1) And most important I will do my special gamecock central sports god prayer for a win, similar to the one I did before the NCAA tournament and prayed for a women's national championship and a men's win in the NCAA tourney, my respectful prayer post was a success if you recall, at the time I did it, seemed a little far fetched, but came true

2) Dabo is 1-3 in Columbia and has never won in Columbia without Deshaun Watson as his QB.

You can look it up, Dabo is 0-3 in Columbia when his QB is not named Watson, 2009, 2011, 2013, outscored 99-47 in those Columbia games with out QB advantage.

giphy.gif

3) And guess who has QB advantage in 2017? We will have the best QB in the game, and he has weapons and a improved offensive line in 2017, Dexter Lawrence and their D will be tough, but Bentley will have a chip based on last years game and it will show. I also look for a Jaylin Dickerson defensive touchdown in the game or Jamyest Williams special teams TD, something like that will occur

5) Its a home game, and that is a huge difference maker, and the game should be at night.

9eKwD.gif

I'll buy you a hooker if this happens!

I don't think we will score enough on their defense. Lower scoring game but their defense will be nasty. Defensive line and offensive line are virtually all back. Stacked too.

giphy.gif

9eKwD.gif
Not sure how much of a QB advantage there is if he is running for his life every play

Jake was running for his life with the same front seven. We will win but not in the trenches.

Only difference is that in most of those years, we had the advantage at EVERY position. Not so in 2017

If the game were played tomorrow, I think you'd have to be crazy to think we'd keep it within 2 scores. However it ain't played tomorrow and a lot can happen between now and November. However if I HAD to make a bet on it right now, I'd guess it would be similar to that 2014 game. Not a blowout, but still a clear talent discrepancy.

Only ray of sunshine we have here is that this season's OL will be coached a lot better than the last several years' were.

I'm not sure what the problem was, but Elliott's coaching looked worse than ever last year. It really made no sense given the talent level (i.e., it was supposed to be a strength going into the season). My guess is that he knew he was not going to be here long-term....he was likely kept on board to only help with recruiting. He was probably more focused on finding a new job and the coaching suffered. I think that we see a dramatic improvement in the OL....which with our skill positions should translate into the ability to finally score some big points.

I'm still worried about our defense. I'm hopeful that being in the second year of the Muschamp system we will be able to see some improvement despite the talent level staying basically the same.

Brent Venables and OU were ready to part ways. He's a very good DC true, but his talent makes him look outstanding. It can't just be me that realizes when we actually had D1 level players, we beat his tail all over the field for 2 years, and it would've been no different if he started in 2010 instead of 2012. Is he the most brilliant defensive strategist in the game, don't think so. Until we see what we got, we can make no determination on a game 12 weeks into the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT