ADVERTISEMENT

Down the Stretch for WBB

JasonScottinSC

Jul 1, 2010
SC needs to stay in the top 4 in the SEC so they can avoid playing on the first 2 days of the tournament. 7 of the 14 teams have legit shot to be in those 4 spots with 5 games to play.
After Thursday's games - SEC Standings
1. Miss State 11-0 (will be #1 seed at the end)
2. GA 9-2 (has to play at TN on Sunday. Then hosts SC on Thurs. They should win 3 after that)
T3. SC 8-3 (home vs FL Sun, At GA, Home vs KY & LSU, at TN)
T3. TN 8-3 (Home vs GA, Home vs AL, at MO, At FL, Home vs SC)
T3. Tex A&M 8-3 (At LSU, Home FL, At Miss St., Home vs MO)
T6. Mizzou 7-4 (At Ark, At AU, Home vs TN, Home vs Vandy, at Texas A&M)
T6. LSU 7-4 (Home Tex A&M, Home Ole Miss, at Ark, At SC, Home vs AL)

Gonna be real interesting! I think SC has the ability to beat anyone on their remaining schedule, but there is potential for a couple of losses (at Georgia and at Tennessee). LSU's not bad either.
SC's lack of depth and inconsistency in terms of finding someone who can score on back to back nights (other than Aja Wilson) is concerning. SC's defense leaves a lot to be desired as well in terms of teams that drive a lot to the basket. Spann doesn't seem to be fully recovered after knee surgery, but hopefully she will be able to free herself up for good looks from the outside. SC needs Jennings to do more. She has not quite been the "beast" that some thought she would be, and has disappeared for much of the last 4 games.

Hopefully SC can pull it all together for a stretch run. Glad they won at Alabama, but I didn't see a whole lot of intensity. Perhaps they're worn out after a tough week with games vs MO, UCONN and State. Go Gamecocks.

Unfortunately, I believe it's 'back-to-square-one-time' for this program - a year earlier than I had hoped/predicted. We need more talent and that talent has to be 'spread out' over 4 years for each player or simply recruit more excellent players.

Unfortunately, I believe it's 'back-to-square-one-time' for this program - a year earlier than I had hoped/predicted. We need more talent and that talent has to be 'spread out' over 4 years for each player or simply recruit more excellent players.
this team is good, maybe a sweet sixteen team, Final Four At the very best!! No way they repeat, playing like tehy have the last coule weeks

this team is good, maybe a sweet sixteen team, Final Four At the very best!! No way they repeat, playing like tehy have the last coule weeks
I said the same thing back in November that I thought this was a Sweet 16 team and would have to play very well to get any further. FWIW, nobody will be beating UCONN this year. No way.

I don't think the sky is falling for the program, but isn't it great that the program has been at such a high level the last 5 years or so that we're not as excited about potentially making it to the Sweet 16. USC has had a lot of "studs" the last few years with Mitchell, Welch, Coates, Davis, Gray and Wilson, but there is not a PROVEN on the squad for next year. The 2 that USC signed for next year already look great on paper, and hopefully they will be great, but you never know with freshmen. Look at this year's freshmen: Bianca Jackson has been good so far, Williams and Grissett have looked like freshmen. We'll see how much they evolve next year.

As I've said before, the key is that the in-state high school talent has not been good lately. When SC was winning and building they did it with in-state (or Charlotte) kids (Sessions, Dozier, Coates, Wilson, Welch, Mitchell etc). And we haven't had outrageous success getting everyone we want from out of state - still losing a lot of kids to UCONN (no surprise) and we're still on the same level in competing for kids with Baylor, Texas, Maryland, Notre Dame, Tennessee, and now Miss State and even Georgia. Even with a national championship, I don't know that USC has separated itself from the 8-10 other "elite" schools who aren't named UCONN. Not placing blame, it just seems to be the fact of the matter.

Next year may be the first time in a long time that USC does not return an All-American or even a First Team All-SEC player (depending on whether Ty Harris earns that honor, which I think she will.)

Stop all the whining and bellyaching...Get behind these young ladies...They have enough talent to reach the FF...They need to get healthier(Spann & Harrigan)...The key is playing better perimeter defense and Spann getting her legs back so she can knock down 4-5 threes per game as she did when healthy...It's amazing how eager some of y'all are eager to give up on a program that has achieved so much...A little adversity has you gents whining like toddlers in a wet pamper...It's almost nauseous

We have the best player in the nation and a fantastic point guard...When the supporting cast does a little work A'ja and Ty make us hard to beat...I don't think anyone was stupid enough to think we would win the SEC every year...We are still good enough to win the SEC tourney..Wont be easy..But they can get it done...They need our support..All this pitiful whining is unworthy of a National Championship program

One final note to describe you nellies:

"Gloom despair, agony on me...deep dark depression, excessive misery...if it wasn't for bad luck, i'd have no luck at all...gloom despair agony on me....woaaah"

One final note to describe you nellies:

"Gloom despair, agony on me...deep dark depression, excessive misery...if it wasn't for bad luck, i'd have no luck at all...gloom despair agony on me....woaaah"
giphy.gif

Stop all the whining and bellyaching...Get behind these young ladies...They have enough talent to reach the FF...They need to get healthier(Spann & Harrigan)...The key is playing better perimeter defense and Spann getting her legs back so she can knock down 4-5 threes per game as she did when healthy...It's amazing how eager some of y'all are eager to give up on a program that has achieved so much...A little adversity has you gents whining like toddlers in a wet pamper...It's almost nauseous

We have the best player in the nation and a fantastic point guard...When the supporting cast does a little work A'ja and Ty make us hard to beat...I don't think anyone was stupid enough to think we would win the SEC every year...We are still good enough to win the SEC tourney..Wont be easy..But they can get it done...They need our support..All this pitiful whining is unworthy of a National Championship program
giphy.gif

I agree, we need to get behind this team. I was encouraged to see this team continue to score when Wilson received her second foul.

stating obivous flaws and opinions of Projections doesnt in any way mean that that person is not 100% behind them, come on man!!
Exactly! I think what a lot of folks are pointing out is that this team is good, but not as good a the last couple of years (which is a lot to live up to!) and there are some areas that need improvement. Heck, Staley even said as much after the game last night. When you become accustomed to a very high standard it's only natural to compare. Hope they can turn it up a notch to stay in the top 4, but it's a challenging schedule ahead with road games at GA and TN and a home game vs a decent LSU team. I think this team has the enough talent to win the SEC Tournament ... no easy task with the depth of the league ... but I don't think they can do it if they have to play 4 games in 4 days.

Exactly! I think what a lot of folks are pointing out is that this team is good, but not as good a the last couple of years (which is a lot to live up to!) and there are some areas that need improvement. Heck, Staley even said as much after the game last night. When you become accustomed to a very high standard it's only natural to compare. Hope they can turn it up a notch to stay in the top 4, but it's a challenging schedule ahead with road games at GA and TN and a home game vs a decent LSU team. I think this team has the enough talent to win the SEC Tournament ... no easy task with the depth of the league ... but I don't think they can do it if they have to play 4 games in 4 days.
Wish I had the patience to repost this same perspective on last seasons squad about this same time...I was one of three posters that believed last years team could win it all in Feb.. Now the same Nellie's are back claiming to be the enlightened realists.. You guys might prove to be right... But you don't know anymore than you did last year this time...

No it's not last years team... It doesn't have to be..it just has to keep working to find its own way.. I dont think they can win the natty.. But they can surely win the SEC tournament... I'll be surprised if they don't

Reactions: Silverspur02
Back to square 1 ? Come on dude.

were you born in '67?

graduate in '67?

flunk out in '67?

asking for a friend

Reactions: Silverspur02
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT