ADVERTISEMENT

Dozier has personal best night in NBA

& tolerate the Frank bombs with out Thornwell, can't say I blame him for leaving. Maybe it would have helped him from a draft perspective and maybe not...

Would we have all loved to see the season with him as a Junior yes, but that isn't modern-day college basketball anymore.

Reactions: Brace1
I'm pretty sure it was more fun getting paid to play.. just saying.

People enjoy lots of stupid things. I'm not saying he hasn't personally enjoyed the experience more than playing in college, but personal enjoyment and right decision are 2 different things. Some people enjoy living on unemployment and wasting their money on lottery tickets, booze and cigarettes as opposed to getting a job and saving money...doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do. The smart thing for DJ would have been to finish his time here and work to improve his draft potential. He just got bad advice from people looking to cash in on his potential success.

And he ain't making that much money. Besides that, he's been a journeyman already in his brief career, having burned through 6 teams already. No guaranteed money. No idea what team you'll be playing your next game for.

Hopefully this will be turning point for him and not a flash in the pan as someone suggested above.

& tolerate the Frank bombs with out Thornwell, can't say I blame him for leaving. Maybe it would have helped him from a draft perspective and maybe not...

Would we have all loved to see the season with him as a Junior yes, but that isn't modern-day college basketball anymore.

I presume we would have fared somewhat better that first year with Thornwell had we had at least 1 legitimate player on the team in Dozier. That can change a lot.

Also, the whole investigation that was going on by the FBI/NCAA may have spooked him to leave. His name came up in at some point. It was a terribly bad decision for him to leave, so there was something that seemed to force his hand.

He was never overly impressive in college either, truly. Didn't quite seem to hit the potential he was assigned.

He was never overly impressive in college either, truly. Didn't quite seem to hit the potential he was assigned.

This is why he needed to stick around. His first year he averaged 6.7 ppg. Basically doubled that in his 2nd year to 13.9 ppg. He was very clearly still in development and not NBA ready. It's speculation, but he probably would developed into a solid NBA draft pick by his 4th season.

Nevertheless, as noted above, hopefully this performance will get him more minutes and serve as a turning point in his NBA aspirations.

We would have still sucked hard with him as a Jr. He would have had to play point guard because of all the "attrition" which would not have helped his draft status.

At best, his career will be second-tier, so it's nice for him to have some highlight moments. Yeah, he should have stayed.
Why do we have to re-hash PJ leaving early every time the kid does something good? Denver is a really deep team and for him to get on the floor and play well says a lot. Dozier has been improving every year since leaving and was the MVP of the G-League Showcase recently. That is why he is getting an opportunity now. The kid is right there on the cusp of making it. Yet, all a lot of Gamecock seem to want to do is be selfish and bring up him leaving early.

Gotta love all these GMs and NBA scouts on this board telling everyone what is best for someone whom they haven't spent 3 minutes with total over said kids lifetime... Funny as hell..

Why do we have to re-hash PJ leaving early every time the kid does something good?...
Fair question. My take: this being a Gamecock message board and all, that what he did as a Gamecock carries more weight than anything before that or subsequent to it. And as Gamecock fans, the last thing we remember him doing is leaving early when it didn't appear he was ready to make the jump and when we were counting on his being here another year and considered him vital. I believe those are valid explanations, even if they won't suit everybody. I also think they could be applied, one way or another, to other players of the past in other sports.

Fair question. My take: this being a Gamecock message board and all, that what he did as a Gamecock carries more weight than anything before that or subsequent to it. And as Gamecock fans, the last thing we remember him doing is leaving early when it didn't appear he was ready to make the jump and when we were counting on his being here another year and considered him vital. I believe those are valid explanations, even if they won't suit everybody. I also think they could be applied, one way or another, to other players of the past in other sports.

It’s almost as if this forum was created to discuss Gamecock sports.

And he ain't making that much money. Besides that, he's been a journeyman already in his brief career, having burned through 6 teams already. No guaranteed money. No idea what team you'll be playing your next game for.

Don't Think So???

NBA Minimum Salaries For 2018/19
Years of Experience Salary
1 $1,378,242
2 $1,544,951
3 $1,600,520
4 $1,656,092

At one point in his career, Mike Dunlevy was THE lowest paid player in the NBA. The minimum was $30K that year. In an interview Dunlevy stated with the monies paid for
per-diem, travel perks, other non-mentioned items, he said he made over $100K from the NBA. He did not state the actual amount.

In addition to their salary, waddaya think MLB Umpires live off of???
Getting to the ballpark for a given game on time is all that matters. Major League umpires receive a per-diem allowance of $340, but that covers all items -- hotel, rental car, meals, tips, telephone, etc

Last edited:
Everything is not about you or the Gamecocks. It's PJ's career, first and foremost, and if leaving early made him happy, then we all should be fine with it. You or any other Gamecock fan counting on him should be the last thing he is thinking about when making a career choice. Basketball players don't wait to be drafted in the first round to leave early anymore. The sooner we live with that reality, the better our basketball program will probably become. We have kids that have played fours years (Notice, Carrera, and now Sin) that would be so thankful to be in the position PJ is in. All those played four years and they are now toiling in the G-League and no NBA team is thinking about calling them up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
Everything is not about you or the Gamecocks. It's PJ's career, first and foremost, and if leaving early made him happy, then we all should be fine with it. You or any other Gamecock fan counting on him should be the last thing he is thinking about when making a career choice. Basketball players don't wait to be drafted in the first round to leave early anymore. The sooner we live with that reality, the better our basketball program will probably become. We have kids that have played fours years (Notice, Carrera, and now Sin) that would be so thankful to be in the position PJ is in. All those played four years and they are now toiling in the G-League and no NBA team is thinking about calling them up.
You're entitled to your opinion. As far as I'm concerned, whether anyone else sees it this way or not, this board is first and foremost about current Gamecock-related topics. Other matters are ancillary. But as to the matter at hand, I'm also entitled to MY opinion.

It’s almost as if this forum was created to discuss Gamecock sports.
Yes, the site was created to discuss Gamecock related topics, but PJ hasn't played for us in three years. However, every time his name comes up, usually about something he is doing well on the next level, the issue of him leaving early comes up. That horse has been beaten to death. It's almost like some fans blame PJ for the team losing in 17-18 instead of Frank Martin and the players that actually played that year.

Last edited:
... It's almost like some fans blame PJ for the team losing in 17-18 instead of Frank Martin and the players that actually played that year.
I think you could safely drop the "almost" from that sentence. If people had not thought he would have helped the team win more games, then no one would have been upset that he left. Correct? I'm not sure whether he would have helped or not, but he would if he had been as good as reputed, would he not? Did people overestimate him?

I think you could safely drop the "almost" from that sentence. If people had not thought he would have helped the team win more games, then no one would have been upset that he left. Correct? I'm not sure whether he would have helped or not, but he would if he had been as good as reputed, would he not? Did people overestimate him?
Sure he would have helped. However, I blame Coach Martin, foremost, for not having a contingency plan in place for PJ leaving. The whispers about PJ leaving at the beginning of his sophomore season were similar to what you were hearing with Lawson only difference was that PJ played well. We should have been worried about PJ leaving the moment he scored 31 points to lead us to a victory over Syracuse in the Barclay Center without Sin. We beat Syracuse in New York and PJ was the best player on the floor. You know several NBA scouts saw that. College players that are getting any type of interest from the NBA leave and you can't argue that PJ was not getting any interest. Some draft boards even had him going in the first round. The knee issues kept him from getting drafted. I guess our fallback was Felder and he never played due to disciplines issues. Felder had problems from the moment he stepped on campus. So, I think it was folly to depend on him even though he had the talent to fill the role.

We would have still sucked hard with him as a Jr. He would have had to play point guard because of all the "attrition" which would not have helped his draft status.

Where else would be play? He was recruited as a point guard, played point his entire career at USC (including the FF team), was drafted as a point guard, and is playing point guard for Denver.

People enjoy lots of stupid things. I'm not saying he hasn't personally enjoyed the experience more than playing in college, but personal enjoyment and right decision are 2 different things. Some people enjoy living on unemployment and wasting their money on lottery tickets, booze and cigarettes as opposed to getting a job and saving money...doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do. The smart thing for DJ would have been to finish his time here and work to improve his draft potential. He just got bad advice from people looking to cash in on his potential success.

Hopefully this will be turning point for him and not a flash in the pan as someone suggested above.

He looks happy to me. So drop all this ‘should have stayed crap’...you are being selfish for your pleasure not his development,

Sure he would have helped. However, I blame Coach Martin, foremost, for not having a contingency plan in place for PJ leaving. The whispers about PJ leaving at the beginning of his sophomore season were similar to what you were hearing with Lawson only difference was that PJ played well. We should have been worried about PJ leaving the moment he scored 31 points to lead us to a victory over Syracuse in the Barclay Center without Sin. We beat Syracuse in New York and PJ was the best player on the floor. You know several NBA scouts saw that. College players that are getting any type of interest from the NBA leave and you can't argue that PJ was not getting any interest. Some draft boards even had him going in the first round. The knee issues kept him from getting drafted. I guess our fallback was Felder and he never played due to disciplines issues. Felder had problems from the moment he stepped on campus. So, I think it was folly to depend on him even though he had the talent to fill the role.
I do not put all the blame on P.J., only question his decision. If he had gone on to a transcendent career, I would have had nothing to say. Had he fallen into a regular roster spot, I would have nothing to say. His decision would have been vindicated. Unless a person is extremely hard-up, leaving early in any sport should be a matter of reasonably projecting a meaningful role early in his/her career. I don't think Dozier fell into the hard-up category.

I do not put all the blame on P.J., only question his decision. If he had gone on to a transcendent career, I would have had nothing to say. Had he fallen into a regular roster spot, I would have nothing to say. His decision would have been vindicated. Unless a person is extremely hard-up, leaving early in any sport should be a matter of reasonably projecting a meaningful role early in his/her career. I don't think Dozier fell into the hard-up category.
You are basing another man's decision based off what you think is right. Dozier has made approximately $750,000 in these past three years and he is only 23. Sure, he would liked to have been picked in the first round and gotten a couple years of guaranteed money. However, the NBA has not been very rewarding to kids that have stayed in school. Silva stayed and had to go the Two-Way Route for awhile too. In the NBA, it is about finding the right team and taking advantage of oppurtunities when you get them. It's not like Frank Martin was making PJ a better shooter.

Last edited:
Not really. You sound like you want to make the decisions of others based on what you selfishly want.
You want to cast me that way. I'm not going to let you do it. What I have stated on this matter constitutes opinion, not decision. Those belong to the party in question. Hopefully you get the difference now.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT