ADVERTISEMENT

East Carolina

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
What do yall think about East Carolina? I think we struggle in the 1st half and it wouldnt surprise me if ECU took a early lead. I feel the running game will final wear them out in the 2nd half and USC gets out of there with a 28-20 win.

Game definitely gives me cause for concern. Few 3 and outs and ECU gains some confidence could be a bad day. They have App St the week before so they will probably be more tested and focused for our game. Not a fan of even scheduling the game there anyway

What do yall think about East Carolina? I think we struggle in the 1st half and it wouldnt surprise me if ECU took a early lead. I feel the running game will final wear them out in the 2nd half and USC gets out of there with a 28-20 win.
I think we don’t know anything about either team at this point really… But we have a big talent advantage, and should win the game. We are not an especially talented team by SEC standards, but against teams like ECU- we have a clear advantage.

Doesn't we have to do a home and home with them when we needed a fill in on our schedule to get them to play or am i thinking of something else?

I’m sure we will, at some point. I think we should all agree that these types of games aren’t considered as guaranteed victories, no matter the venue
My pad decided to have a mind of its own before I sent this. I meant to say that we should all agree that no matter the the lesser out of conference opponent, we should expect to win the game.

Reactions: Brace1
I’m sure we will, at some point. I think we should all agree that these types of games aren’t considered as guaranteed victories, no matter the venue
Anything that isn't UPC, an SEC opponent, or some other Power Five opponent ought to be a guaranteed victory. But in any case, we should not be giving these G5 teams home games. The UCF game was somewhat understandable due to the recruiting implications and the quality of the trip. Those requisites are not met in Greenville, N.C.

ECU’s fans are passionate as hell. They’ll be pi$$ing fire this particular Saturday with this Post-Covid Matchup. I’d expect a rowdy full house at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium. As you can see below, this place is a legit stadium and a legit home field advantage.

No doubt the team is looking forward to this game. A P-5 team from the Carolinas, and a beatable one at that…they seem to always get up for games like this. Virginia Tech, and just about every other NC school knows this. They haven’t quite been what they used to be, but this is a dangerous game all around. They did go 3-6 last season, but ended on a high note, winning 2 straight to finish the year.

Personally, I’d say the odds are:
  • 60% Gamecocks Win
  • 30% Pirates Win
  • 10% Game Never Happens Due to Tropical Storm
And for the record, I always thought Steve Logan was underrated as a football coach.
bc35a0232560f1944795ff5d0996d555d990d920.jpg

Last edited:
Not looking forward to this one at all. As King mentioned, it's pure idiocy that we're playing there. But not surprising.

I'm not ready to call it a loss for us, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it happened.

Reactions: Gradstudent
ECU’s fans are passionate as hell. They’ll be pi$$ing fire this particular Saturday with this Post-Covid Matchup. I’d expect a rowdy full house at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium. As you can see below, this place is a legit stadium and a legit home field advantage.

No doubt the team is looking forward to this game. A P-5 team from the Carolinas, and a beatable one at that…they seem to always get up for games like this. Virginia Tech, and just about every other NC school knows this. They haven’t quite been what they used to be, but this is a dangerous game all around. They did go 3-6 last season, but ended on a high note, winning 2 straight to finish the year.

Personally, I’d say the odds are:
  • 60% Gamecocks Win
  • 30% Pirates Win
  • 10% Game Never Happens Due to Tropical Storm
And for the record, I always thought Steve Logan was underrated as a football coach.
bc35a0232560f1944795ff5d0996d555d990d920.jpg
While I agree with most that we *should* win, I’d take 10 of our percentage points and give them to the tropical storm; 50/30/20 - LOL

Reactions: Carolina4
I don't think we should be reluctant to go there and whip their ass. Not wanting to go sounds like we might be afraid. So, lets go.
Oh, we're going to go, but we shouldn't be going. What league is that they are in? I lose track. We're in the SEC, Partner. That alone should rule out us going over there. I wouldn't want to go to Hattiesburg, Miss., either and I know we can whip their @$$e$.

It's idiocy to be playing them over there. I'd say that no matter how good we were.
ECU has enough clout to insist on a game in Greenville every now and then. And goodwill means that we will travel there.

I remember perhaps a dozen years or so ago that Nebraska and Southern Ole Miss had a three game football series. Two games in Lincoln, and one in Hattiesburg. Nebraska offered USM lots of $$$ to relocate the Hattiesburg game to (I believe) Kansas City. USM administration felt that they owed it to their fans to host a marquee game, and turned down the Huskers' request.

This is not like Dook or Wake with stadia that seat less than 40k. Before we stopped playing them regularly in the late 80s, we would have contracts which called for perhaps three games in Columbia for every one in Durham / Winston Salem (of course during our ACC days, we would alternate locations every year).

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I see no reason to schedule a game at ECU. We play Eastern Illinois 1st. Well let's play Western Illinois the 2nd game. But my understanding of the situation is this game at ECU was committed to several years ago.

Reactions: Gradstudent
It was certainly poorly thought out, but I'm sure Ray intended as a goodwill gesture.

This is an absolute CAN'T lose game for our program. The ECU program hasn't won at least 6 games since 2014. I am very familiar with Coach Houston....and while a good coach.....he's 4-8 and 3-6 at ECU. If you know both rosters....you know that USC is in WAY better shape head to head vs. each other. We're not comparing USC to other SEC programs....comparing USC to ECU. SC is physically just fine in this matchup. This game isn't about 3 years ago or even last year. The work for this game and all games started (or should have) on Dec. 6, 2020.

I don't want to hear about how rowdy Dowdy-Ficklen is. The players that come to play at USC play in Tennessee, Georgia, Clemson, Gainesville, etc. Crowd noise, distractions, not being ready....any BS excuse can thrown out the window now.
Win or go home....vs. Eastern Ill, ECU, Troy and Vandy.

Reactions: caughtlookin
ECU has enough clout to insist on a game in Greenville every now and then. And goodwill means that we will travel there.

I remember perhaps a dozen years or so that Nebraska and Southern Ole Miss had a three game football series. Two games in Lincoln, and one in Hattiesburg. Nebraska offered USM lots of $$$ to relocate the Hattiesburg game to (I believe) Kansas City. USM administration felt that they owed it to their fans to host a marquee game, and turned down the Huskers' request.

This is not like Dook or Wake with stadia that seat less than 40k. Before we stopped playing them regularly in the late 80s, we would have contracts which called for perhaps three games in Columbia for every one in Durham / Winston Salem (of course during our ACC days, we would alternate locations every year).
They are East Carolina. They have less cachet than a gnat.

Teams should agree play home and home these days. We are living in a time of equality and inclusion.

When they all have equal revenue-producing potential and provide equal oppositional advantageousness, I will agree with you.
USC & ECU are certainly not equal, but IMO, ECU does warrant one visit from USC for every 3-4 times they come to Columbia. Certainly not a 1 for 1.

But the bottom line is that it's all market driven.

ECU is usually really really bad or really really good. I don't know what type of team they will have this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT