ADVERTISEMENT

Eric Wolford

DeBoer31

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2015
I know we have a fine OL coach. However, everything doesn't begin and end with SOS when you consider all the things that go into playing that game each Saturday. We know he will maintain control over his offense, and that's great...I want that. But you must have a strong influence, a boundless energy guy and an experienced coach at multiple levels that knows how to weed through the BS and get the quality.

I am going to beat this drum til I'm yelled at to stop. Hire him as an Asst. HC, and put him in charge of recruiting. Then, you have help on the recruiting, OL, and run game fronts. You also change the dynamic of recruiting and the program as a whole, and send our beloved program in a WAY BETTER spot if and when SOS does move on in 2-3 years. If you stockpile legit/quality OL/DL, things will be good during the transition. Consider the type/caliber player he brought in during the 2010 recruiting class for his position were these names:
AJ Cann, Ronald Patrick, Cody Gibson, Corey Robinson, Tramell Williams.

He brought in HUGE upside guys, with lots of talent, guys who were athletic enough to play multiple OL positions (G/C, G/T) and most carried a specific type of attitude toward playing football. M. Lattimore, Shaw and others were GREAT during their tenure at USC....but I bet you those guys would agree they're only as good as who is in front of them. Yin-Yang situation.
Beyond that...the coaching, development and results from guys like TJ Johnson that Wolford had was obvious as well. He is an asst. OL coach with SF 49ers right now, but he is a diamond in the rough that we need to pounce on ASAP.

Last edited:
With San Francisco being 1-2, I was going to say that he may be looking for a job at the end of the year, but then noticed they are 2nd in the league in rushing yards per game. They are giving up about 2 sacks a game, but their QB play is awful this year. Although we could use him, if he keeps the o-line stats up, he won't be coming back to college anytime soon.

Maybe, maybe not. I wish SOS and Tanner would make a decision to target him asap. I would love Briles' kid or some young offensive guy to come along here (not Chad Morris....someone who has done something), BUT we are in a position where maybe those types don't want to come and immediately follow in SOSs footsteps. We need to look at this as a positive, b/c games are still won and lost upfront along both lines; so why not go after several of the top OL/DL guys that can help in recruiting and solidify the issues that we have, and close the gap that always happens when one regime hands off the baton to the next. Cupboards are invariably left half empty when a staff chooses to leave, so transitioning someone who will make sure we aren't in that situation is paramount. I met Coach Wolf in person at a HS game in Rock Hill a couple years ago on the sideline, recognized him and told him how much he meant to me as a Gamecock fan and if he'd ever like to come back. He had nothing but great things to say about SC, Columbia, staff, etc. Gotta have talent on the sidelines to take over when the current talent decides to move on.

Agree 100% with this. I know Lawing had some issues....but don't everybody? He could locate, target, and coach the type guys it takes in the SEC on the DL.

Bringing back Wolford and Lawing would make a huge difference. Both could absolutely "coach'em up."
those were two of the better coaches we had

coach ray rychleski was pretty damn good too

we have had some good ones come through, why we have held onto some of the turds we have now is beyond me

Being that Elliot has produced good results on the field and recruiting I don't think that Wolford would be such a vast improvement for us...I do believe he is a good coach but there are other areas I believe we should target over Oline coaches at this time.....Now I agree 100% on bringing in a strong DL coach, because since Lawing left I don't believe that our DL has played with the discipline they showed when he was here in his most recent stint.....I distinctly remember when Adams was hired that his philosophy seemed to be along the lines of organized chaos, and it seems that is exactly how our D-line tries to play (sans the organization)............We definitely need to step up our evaluation and recruiting efforts regardless of how it's done.

Being that Elliot has produced good results on the field and recruiting I don't think that Wolford would be such a vast improvement for us...I do believe he is a good coach but there are other areas I believe we should target over Oline coaches at this time.....Now I agree 100% on bringing in a strong DL coach, because since Lawing left I don't believe that our DL has played with the discipline they showed when he was here in his most recent stint.....I distinctly remember when Adams was hired that his philosophy seemed to be along the lines of organized chaos, and it seems that is exactly how our D-line tries to play (sans the organization)............We definitely need to step up our evaluation and recruiting efforts regardless of how it's done.
We can't make a 3rd and one if we had to.what are we saving Mon Denson for?5^10 and 228, that's what I'm talking about.

Spurrier never wanted to get rid of Wolford. As I recall he publicly said that he understood why Wolford wanted to leave but that he thought he was making a mistake. Wolford was fired from Youngstown St. in 2014 and is on staff with the 49ers now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT