ADVERTISEMENT

Expansion is eminent

So why isn't this an issue for FCS teams. They have had a 8 team playoff for years now.
If FCS can navigate these issues, it stands to reason FBS teams can do the same.
Who says it's not an issue? I think it is an issue.

However, even if not, there are some distinct differences between FCS an FBS. The FCS play 12 games a year and most have no conference championship. Also, they start their playoffs immediately after the season and finish about the same time as the FBS. Last years FCS Championship game was played on 1/11/20. This years FBS Championship was played on 11/11/21 - same month and date. Unless they change the current scheduling system, if you add 2 additional games they would not finish until the second week of February. That is a very distinct difference.

12 Teams seems a bit much to me. However, I am not a "it has to be my way" type of guy. It certainly beats the OreIda Potato Bowl or the Bahamas Bowl. The Bowl system is just a relic of the past. The Bowl season was a thing you looked forward to in the 70's and early 80's because you only saw one or two games a week and the Bowl season was the only time you could see certain teams. With all of the games on television or streamed, I know I don't have the patience for UCF vs. BYU in a meaningless December game with a half empty stadium. Being honest, the demands of college football is year round anyway. Trust me, players would prefer playing games than constant workouts and practices. Marshawn Lloyd tore his ACL in practice. So, the dangers of injury is there every time you step on the field or participate in a workout.

However, even if not, there are some distinct differences between FCS an FBS. The FCS play 12 games a year and most have no conference championship. Also, they start their playoffs immediately after the season and finish about the same time as the FBS. Last years FCS Championship game was played on 1/11/20. This years FBS Championship was played on 11/11/21 - same month and date. Unless they change the current scheduling system, if you add 2 additional games they would not finish until the second week of February. That is a very distinct difference.
I could get on board with doing away with conference championship games, create a power 6 and take 12 division champs and there's your playoff. Easy peasy. No subjectivity and its settled on the field.

Different sports. Don't see the point in trying to make one like the other.

But, yes, you seem to agree that this is just a money grab like the NCAAT. I get that aspect of it.
It is almost as if you people don't understand that money is the whole reason we have players, tickets, stadiums...sports themselves.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I suppose this kind of wussification was unavoidable from a men's sport that celebrated to high heavens having a female player last year.

I suppose this kind of wussification was unavoidable from a men's sport that celebrated to high heavens having a female player last year.
Nice sexist comment, more teams in means more fans involved which means more money. It’s literally that simple. Way to be a dickweed. RMFE.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
What’s going to be really pathetic is seeing team #12 celebrate making the playoffs.

Look on the bright side, it won’t be UofSC celebrating.

If it is, no one will be whining we got in and have a chance to play some games in the post season that matter.

I think it’s great.

The current system sucks.

It will make for some good matchups, particularly in the first round. Certainly, better and more meaningful games than Bowl whatever with some dumb arse corporate name.

It does open up a chance to more schools. That will help with recruiting.

Even schools like poor little UofSC, if they ever land another really good coach and figure out how to stop Magooing all over themselves.

If it is, no one will be whining we got in and have a chance to play some games in the post season that matter.

I think it’s great.

It will make for some good matchups, particularly in the first round. Certainly, better and more meaningful games than Bowl whatever with some dumb arse corporate name.

Even schools like poor little UofSC, if they ever land another really good coach and figure out how to stop Magooing all over themselves.

It won't change the recruiting landscape one iota. I absolutely guarantee you'll continue to see the usual suspects at the top of the recruiting rankings.

The has gone like this: Dadgum, Alabama is TOO dominant, we need to do something to level the playing field. I know, a playoff! That'll do it and help add parity to recruiting... : playoffs ensue: ...hmmm, Alabama is STILL dominant. Too dominant. I know, let's EXPAND the playoffs. That'll do it and help add parity to recruiting!

The only thing an expansion will do is shine even more light on the gap between the top 3 or 4 teams and the wannabes.

Last edited:
Reactions: USMCatFan
It won't change the recruiting landscape one iota

Sure it will change the recruiting landscape, over time, recruits wont be forced to go to the same teams just to make the playoff in their career, more teams in their region will have the playoff pitch and the talent will spread out more, evenly then it is today, the way it was before the same teams started making the playoff all the time. History shows us this.

Adding teams to the playoff makes it harder for the eventual champion to win it. That's the opposite of wussifying the process.

I think you're just trolling at this point. But carry on...

Sure it will change the recruiting landscape, over time, recruits wont be forced to go to the same teams just to make the playoff in their career, more teams in their region will have the playoff pitch and the talent will spread out more, evenly then it is today, the way it was before the same teams started making the playoff all the time. History shows us this.
Very fanciful. As long as I've been alive - under the bowl/poll system, the BCS, and the CFP - the National Championship has been contested among a limited pool of less than a dozen schools, mainly those which came to be perceived as legacy-type programs. Breakthroughs outside of that pool have been rare. When shifts in strength occur at the top due to coaching changes, retirements, etc., it's other schools then lower in that exalted pool that benefit. The upper echelon will always be occupied by that pool of programs because they relentlessly commit to being there and do what it takes to move up when they slip some. They keep trying until they get it right, as we see with Texas right now.

Ugh! Every Gamecock fan should have seen a playoff would be the demise of Gamecock football, but many still whined and moaned for a 4 team playoff (looking at you, Jay Phillips).

12 team playoff would be an absolute disaster for college football, It couldn't be any worse for Carolina, though, so let's blow up the entire sport since we suck at it.

LOL.

A disaster? Hyperbole doesn’t bolster your opinion, it just highlights the weakness.

Let’s not do something to add a little more juice to the postseason; get a few more games with something other than a meaningless bowl trophy at stake; that opens the party up to more than a handful.

Nah. Let’s just add a 50th bowl game to reward true mediocrity, Carolina style.

There are some incredibly simple people on here.

LOL.

A disaster? Hyperbole doesn’t bolster your opinion, it just highlights the weakness.

Let’s not do something to add a little more juice to the postseason; get a few more games with something other than a meaningless bowl trophy at stake; that opens the party up to more than a handful.

Nah. Let’s just add a 50th bowl game to reward true mediocrity, Carolina style.

There are some incredibly simple people on here.
I assign "simple-ness" to those that don't see that the greatest benefit would be derived through fixing the season that PRECEDES the playoff. People could enjoy the benefits of that for five months.

Again, they are two totally different sports. Do you think we should also have college football teams playing a playoff game on Thursday and another on Saturday?

What does the mechanics of the respective postseason have to with his point?

Heck, the Last 4 In, Last 4 Out is a thing now.

It absolutely draws interest. It adds some suspense, which is a good thing.

Has that weakened the tournament?

Did expanding the tourney to begin with weaken it or strengthen it?

A 16 seed took decades to beat a 1. A 15 seldom beats a 2 (unless the 2 is UofSC). So.

Has a 4 seed ever made Omaha? Ever won the CWS?

I don’t think there will be a lot of upsets and the Top 4 may still rotate among the recent top tier group. But, it will add juice. And, it will open things up more which has always been good for sports.

I assign "simple-ness" to those that don't see that the greatest benefit would be derived through fixing the season that PRECEDES the playoff. People could enjoy the benefits of that for five months.

I do wish the SEC would fix their regular season.

And, sure, when your team sucks most years, squeezing as much joy out of the regular season should be paramount since you never have to concern yourself with whatever a playoff structure looks like.

Reactions: king ward
I do wish the SEC would fix their regular season.

And, sure, when your team sucks most years, squeezing as much joy out of the regular season should be paramount since you never have to concern yourself with whatever a playoff structure looks like.
I'm of the opinion that if every league plays the same number of conference games and no OOC games below the G5 level and all conferences select the league championship game participants the same way, through points and devoid of divisional play, then effectively the playoff goes on all year. In that case, you have expanded it to way more than 12 teams without running an extended formal playoff at the end. Not only that, every ticket sold all season long becomes more valuable. That's what I want to see.

Reactions: Lakecock1
I'm of the opinion that if every league plays the same number of conference games and no OOC games below the G5 level and all conferences select the league championship game participants the same way, through points and devoid of divisional play, then effectively the playoff goes on all year. In that case, you have expanded it to way more than 12 teams without running an extended formal playoff at the end. Not only that, every ticket sold all season long becomes more valuable. That's what I want to see.

I’m not against the same number of conference games or limiting cupcakes although one a year (like us playing and helping financially a smaller instate school) can be a good thing.

But, I fail to see how that and a corresponding point system opens things up for more schools or makes the regular season any more interesting.

Every team in P5 starts 0-0 and has a chance to win their respective league.

It’s only the non-P5 schools that don’t really have the same opportunity regardless how they finish.

In the SEC anyways, no one is going to play every other team, every year.

And, how would points be assigned? Who would assign those points? Are you proposing to weight wins and losses?

It sounds an awful lot like a European soccer model with league crowning champions based on simple W-L-D points, and the top finishers in each league then playing in a Champions tourney.

I haven't read the entire thread. But I feel certain that someone has pointed out that at least one, if not two, of our teams from the Golden Years of Spurrier would've made a 12 team playoff.

Imagine the boost in recruiting we could've received from doing so instead of playing in the Outback or Citrus Bowl. Not to mention if we had actually parlayed it into a national title. And REALLY not to mention that Clemson wouldn't have been able to cruise into the national title picture every single year without even blinking.

Not one of these whiners would've said a thing about it.

That long pause for the FBS title game (and the other major bowl games) is all based on the old practices on waiting to the end of year to bring in tourists to their cities. This was the sole intention of bowls. What they have become is a whole other conversation.
With expansion of playoffs the most logical scenario will be to have the games during the month of December.
The Championship game will likely be around the same time.

I’m not against the same number of conference games or limiting cupcakes although one a year (like us playing and helping financially a smaller instate school) can be a good thing.

But, I fail to see how that and a corresponding point system opens things up for more schools or makes the regular season any more interesting.

Every team in P5 starts 0-0 and has a chance to win their respective league.

It’s only the non-P5 schools that don’t really have the same opportunity regardless how they finish.

In the SEC anyways, no one is going to play every other team, every year.

And, how would points be assigned? Who would assign those points? Are you proposing to weight wins and losses?

It sounds an awful lot like a European soccer model with league crowning champions based on simple W-L-D points, and the top finishers in each league then playing in a Champions tourney.
Not advocating everyone play everyone every year in a 14-team league. It wouldn't even be possible. Use a round-robin basis to play the different schools on a faster rotation. As for the points system, use the Big 12 model as a benchmark, whatever it is. But if there are revisions to be made, lock it down the same for every league. As for the "cupcakes", Mack Brown has advocated not playing them but paying them something from the Power-five television revenues to subsidize them for the income they would be giving up, which isn't equal for any of them now unless it's by accident. That seems workable and would yield more money for some of them than they are getting now.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Once a playoff became reality, expansion was inevitable. Most people have no real interest in the current bowl system.

College football when the first expanded CFP championship game is between Bama and Clemson:

giphy.gif

Reactions: USMCatFan
This article, to make, makes the most obvious point:

"Will this change who wins the national title?​

Probably not. In recent years, there has been a massive gap between the championship-caliber teams and everybody else. It’s exceedingly difficult to imagine a no. 10 or no. 12 seed going on a surprise run to win it all. I bet at least 90 percent of championships in this system will be won by teams that had a first-round bye—teams that would’ve made the playoff in the current system. It’s possible that expanding the playoff will convince some top-tier recruits to diversify their college choices … but let’s be real: They’ll probably all still go to Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State.

That’s college football for you. Alabama won titles when the national champion was determined by the polls; Alabama won titles when the BCS existed; Alabama won titles with a four-team playoff system; Alabama will win titles in a 12-team playoff too. We could implement a 128-team playoff and Alabama would probably still win. This proposed format isn’t going to change which teams are good—but it might make life more fun, which is what a sport dominated by the same few programs always has needed."

So, you're not actually changing anything. The big boys will be the big boys. The gap will still mostly be there. You're just giving the illusion of an opportunity.

Treating ALL conference champions and therefore all conferences as the same is a MADE UP ranking. It's as artificial as trying to setup a Playoff where everyone is "included" and has and "opportunity". If a Playoff is about rewarding excellence. It's about putting the best teams into the Playoff.

Not everyone should be included and not everyone deserves an opportunity. If your not worried about the score, want to see participation trophies, and want to see everyone bat...go watch some Tee Ball.
This is so obvious that only the perspicacity-challenged cannot see it. I wish I could like it a million times. Two million even.

Reactions: funktavious
An 8-team playoff would have been far more than enough. Enough for all the P5 to be represented, plus 3 more for an occasional extra P5 as well as the odd team or two from outside the P5 getting a chance....
I don't necessarily feel that every P5 conference should be represented every year. If the conference champion has 3 losses or is outside the top-10 they shouldn't be in the playoffs or BCS bowls in general and a 2 loss ACC team should almost never be in consideration for the BCS. I know that in 2011 and 2012 we had a top-10 football team each year and we couldn't sniff the BCS because the SEC already had 2 other teams involved whereas a team we just beat the brakes off of got in both years.

Treating ALL conference champions and therefore all conferences as the same is a MADE UP ranking. It's as artificial as trying to setup a Playoff where everyone is "included" and has and "opportunity". If a Playoff is about rewarding excellence. It's about putting the best teams into the Playoff.

Not everyone should be included and not everyone deserves an opportunity. If your not worried about the score, want to see participation trophies, and want to see everyone bat...go watch some Tee Ball.

It's so self-evident it really shouldn't need to be said. I know some can't wrap their minds around it, but what a G5 school does is pretty much meaningless as it relates to P5 football. 11-0 at the G5 level, might get you 6-5 or 7-4 in the SEC.

When did it become so politically incorrect to acknowledge that there are differences between the levels of competition and, thus, the relevance of the overall record?

Reactions: funktavious

I think it’s great.

What really needs to be done is keep out the teams that have poor SOS's. If you don't beat at least 1 top-10 team during the season, you shouldn't be allowed to be in the playoffs, keeping teams with wussified schedules like Clempson out of the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT