ADVERTISEMENT

Fake Athletic Director

They had a coach winning 8 to 10 games a year and fired him mid season because they wanted to win. Same thing at UGa.
And they tripped over Dabo. At the time Dabo was a stupid hire and would not have got the job if he didnt beat us in 2008. Yes, he has proven to be a great coach no way around it But at the time it was a dumb hire.

And they tripped over Dabo. At the time Dabo was a stupid hire and would not have got the job if he didnt beat us in 2008. Yes, he has proven to be a great coach no way around it But at the time it was a dumb hire.

I agree with this 1000%. Dablow has built a powerhouse no doubt, but it is not like he was brought in as the master plan. Also, what I noticed is that he markets Clemson at every opportunity known to man. Maybe one day USC can have a great team, but with our long history of mostly average football with an occasional good year I do not know. It SUCKS to watch Clemson turn into a powerhouse

USCALUMNI

I agree with this 1000%. Dablow has built a powerhouse no doubt, but it is not like he was brought in as the master plan. Also, what I noticed is that he markets Clemson at every opportunity known to man. Maybe one day USC can have a great team, but with our long history of mostly average football with an occasional good year I do not know. It SUCKS to watch Clemson turn into a powerhouse

USCALUMNI
Clemson was serious about football long before Dabo got hired. They just needed the right guy that could lead the cult and take it national. Dabo is weird as he is, was perfect for such a job. He's had to market his goofy sell all his life so now he markets Clemson.

Reactions: cocky4

USCALUMNI

Everyone will be buying the hype and be back at the bank of anerica stadium for the first game nothing will ever change

Clemson was serious about football long before Dabo got hired. They just needed the right guy that could lead the cult and take it national. Dabo is weird as he is, was perfect for such a job. He's had to market his goofy sell all his life so now he markets Clemson.

What ever works, I personally do not care if BOZO the Clown is leading the Gamecocks, as long as he can take us to the promised land

USCALUMNI

This. Clemson was winning 9 plus games with Bowden. If muschamp was at Clemson he would have been in a meeting last night about his future. Instead he laughing and watching retirement account grow. That’s what we good for

This. Clemson was winning 9 plus games with Bowden. If muschamp was at Clemson he would have been in a meeting last night about his future. Instead he laughing and watching retirement account grow. That’s what we good for

I think Frank Martin has officially checked out also

USCALUMNI

Ray maybe a great baseball coach, but he is woefully lacking at “instincts” needed to be a good AD. Passed on Lincoln Riley b/c he wasn’t ready! But one year later he was ready enough to take over for OU.

Boom failed miserably as a head coach at a school with a better pedigree, more financial resources, in a hotbed of better recruits. Why anyone thought that he would all the sudden “figure it out” is beyond me. He will be fired after the 2020 season. Next year will be hard, there is not enough talent on either side of the ball to be any better than 6-6 and it could go really bad and be 4-8.

Will be breaking in a new young QB in 2020 and that is a tough scenario to be fighting for your job. He probably wins 7 but it just isn’t enough to keep his job. It is what it is.

Can you really say that at the time it was a bad hire if the man is about to play in his third NC and won 1?

USCALUMNI

What Dabo had was vision and a plan to get there. He knew how to lure recruits to Clemson. He unified a fan base by listening to them...bigger tiger paw, traditional uniforms..stupid little things like that but they ate it up. He went to AD to get money until he got it to build a football operations facility before other teams were even considering something like it.

Muschamp is the closest we have had to Dabo in terms of those things but 1) he’s just copying it by now 2) Not as good at it 3) doesn’t have good coaches around him.

Dabo got a million dollars for 2 assistants before it had happened for 1. He got 2 million for a DC that would otherwise be a HC somewhere.

The people at Clemson chose Dabo as the interim over guys with HC experience because they wanted to see how he’d do. At 3-3, results weren’t any better than Bowden. But for them it was good enough because they bought what he sold them...his vision of Clemson football and how to get there. And recruits did too. And it worked out because they committed to it from day one and got there.

I’m not sure anyone could have a vision that could get us to the top...we’re just in a tough spot. And it isn’t getting any better with Will Muschamp.

What Dabo had was vision and a plan to get there. He knew how to lure recruits to Clemson. He unified a fan base by listening to them...bigger tiger paw, traditional uniforms..stupid little things like that but they ate it up. He went to AD to get money until he got it to build a football operations facility before other teams were even considering something like it.

Muschamp is the closest we have had to Dabo in terms of those things but 1) he’s just copying it by now 2) Not as good at it 3) doesn’t have good coaches around him.

Dabo got a million dollars for 2 assistants before it had happened for 1. He got 2 million for a DC that would otherwise be a HC somewhere.

The people at Clemson chose Dabo as the interim over guys with HC experience because they wanted to see how he’d do. At 3-3, results weren’t any better than Bowden. But for them it was good enough because they bought what he sold them...his vision of Clemson football and how to get there. And recruits did too. And it worked out because they committed to it from day one and got there.

I’m not sure anyone could have a vision that could get us to the top...we’re just in a tough spot. And it isn’t getting any better with Will Muschamp.

Difference is Dabo went through assistant coaches quickly until he got results.

Difference is Dabo went through assistant coaches quickly until he got results.
concur. I believe this falls on the head coach, not the AD. I know some will say the AD should fire the coach if he chooses to not do so. Getting rid of our AD will not resolve the current affairs within the football program.

Reactions: jonesz21
concur. I believe this falls on the head coach, not the AD. I know some will say the AD should fire the coach if he chooses to not do so. Getting rid of our AD will not resolve the current affairs within the football program.

I agree it falls more on the HC. But I get the frustration with Ray. He should’ve known this was coming because everyone else expected it. Truth is, it’s possible both suck and it’s kind of on both. That’s what I fear is the case.

Can you really say that at the time it was a bad hire if the man is about to play in his third NC and won 1?

Hindsight is 20/20. At the time, it didn't look like a good hire. It would be like us firing Muschamp mid season this year and promoting Bobby Bentley to head coach. I'm sure our fans would have been thrilled with that. But in hindsight, hiring Dabo Swinney to coach Clemson football was the best decision by a university in the history of athletics in the state of South Carolina.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT