ADVERTISEMENT

Falling for it once again and not a bit sorry

I come from a long line of Gamecock family members, and between us, we have probably seen it all- early, middle, and late season USC football crashes. With visions of glory every new season, we somehow never seem to be able to reach a level of satisfaction. Are we the Charlie Brown of college football? However this year ends up going, let's keep our sense of humor and class- it really is what separates us from other programs. It's about us, not them.

https://slate.com/culture/2014/10/t...tball-away-from-charlie-brown-in-peanuts.html

This attitude is exactly the reason that all major sports right now, and especially football, find themselves in the position of mediocrity that seems to be the constant at USC. And a large part of the reason why Ray, and the rest of the power brokers, don't seem to feel any urgency to remedy the situation. Just like this poster, they know many are confident to keep shelling out the cash with little to show for it, and they will fall in line because it is USC. And our loyalty to that mediocrity, and never ending Hope's of better days down the road, is what separates us from the others. With attitudes like this, we get what we deserve.

Reactions: Goose cock
Yes, we can show our loyalty, put our butts in the seats, and scream in support to the top of our lungs until we are blue in our faces (been there, done that many times), but if a head coach continues to show ineptness that leads to losses as well as a BOT and AD that seem content with mediocrity, all our blind support will continue to fan the flames of mediocrity.

Last edited:
@midline RT would never have been promoted to AD at a school with a winning tradition but if someone like him was promoted he would have been removed already along with his FB hire.

Would you explain how fans being supportive and optimistic for the team that loses a game equates to a team winning in the future? I am having trouble seeing a connection between a team's on field performance and some vocal minority of fans voicing displeasure on social media.

I'm sorry for being dense, but it seems more more likely a riotous, critical, angry outcry by fans would more likely have the opposite effect on the team, maybe demoralizing it and injuring recruiting for the future. But maybe you can explain it so I will understand what you mean. Thank you for helping me understand.

I happen to believe that athletic programs should be run like a business. The business of athletics is to win. That is how you become and remain successful. In all business enterprises there's a time to be supportive and a time to be critical and demanding.

Which time do you think it is right now?

Reactions: USC75Grad
As a guest here, I recognize I'm threading on thin ice to reply to this post.

FWIW, there's something to be said for a loyal fan base. You guys and Nebraska come to mind. I get it's more fun to win than to be loyal to a program that sometimes disappoints, but if you're the next HC for the Gamecocks, would you rather come to a program that requires a rebuild of fan loyalty, or to one that has some of the strongest support in the college football?

Disappointed fans' pressure can influence an Administration's decision to make a change, for sure, but it's a double-edged sword.

Old timers like me are accustomed to Bama always having fan support, even during the "Dark Ages." But, we darn sure raised a ruckus to the Administration during those bad times. IMO it contributed to the departure of Ray Perkins, Bill Curry, and Dennis Franchione, all of which deepened our Dark Ages. Heck, we even complained the last couple of years during Coach Bryant's tenure. I can only imagine what it will be like with the newer generation of Bama fans when Saban finally does retire. I'm afraid it won't be pretty.

All that to say, while I know how hard it can be (because I've been there to some degree), a loyal fan base is one of the few things that can elevate a program during trying times.

Well thought out and correct on some levels. However, fans/alumni add a layer of accountability. After all, they are the ones asked to give money. A complacent and undemanding fan base can also contribute to program mediocrity. As I said in response to another post there is a time to be supportive and a time to be critical and demanding. We live in a competitive world. Perhaps it would be a better world if it were different, but now that we've tasted success we want it to continue.

The program appears to be going backwards over the last 2 1/2 games. If fans say nothing or just sit and clap but do not ask questions or keep giving money regardless of the results then you don't have an athletic program that competes and there is no accountability.

Loyalty and support can be two different entities. One can remain loyal to the team but decide they can no longer in good conscience decide to support (financially) mediocrity on a consistent basis and expect change.

Reactions: HoldenOversoul
I happen to believe that athletic programs should be run like a business. The business of athletics is to win. That is how you become and remain successful. In all business enterprises there's a time to be supportive and a time to be critical and demanding.

Which time do you think it is right now?

Good post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT