ADVERTISEMENT

Felder will NOT play this year.....twitter

I feel like the difference between us and Clemsin is like this...
If your friend gives you $8 to get them lunch at McDonald’s and their total is $7.45
Clemsin keeps the .55 and eats some fries from the bag.
Carolina insists you take a dollar back, “because it wasn’t $8”.

Perhaps the underlying issues are bigger than basketball, and CFM, et al, want to give him time to get things straight, to focus on the truly important things to make him a better man and player in the long run.

I, too, was looking forward to him being back, but perhaps it would have taken longer than any of us expect for him to get back to game shape.

I'm trusting CFM in this. He's knows a lot more about this entire situation than any of us will ever know, and ultimately is doing what is best for Felder.

I see no problem with this decision. Frank clearly wants to bring Felder back and give him another opportunity, while still setting a tone of discipline and accountability within his program.
Discipline within a team is complicated. You have to stay true to the values of the program. You need to provide discipline and a lesson to the offender. You have to send a message to the rest of your players regarding how issues will be handled. Also important is: how does the discipline affect the team's prospects?
What would be this team's ceiling with Felder in the line-up? CBI? NIT? Sitting him isn't costing the team, so if Frank feels he should stay seated I think that's a good idea.

Reactions: classof95#
Downey800.jpg

Sonofa........

Well, if the NCAA ever starts giving out trophies for being a goodie-goodie, we'll for sure be in the hunt year-in and year-out!! Either play to win, or shut down athletics. Kentucky, Florida, Clemson - none of those teams would be handling this situation this way I'd be willing to bet. They want to win.
Maybe I'll feel differently about this down the road, but dang.

Sonofa........

Well, if the NCAA ever starts giving out trophies for being a goodie-goodie, we'll for sure be in the hunt year-in and year-out!! Either play to win, or shut down athletics. Kentucky, Florida, Clemson - none of those teams would be handling this situation this way I'd be willing to bet. They want to win.

agreed...this is mindboggling stupidity...either compete with everything you have got...strive to be the best or shut it down

Kinda reminds me of Odom keeping Balkman out of a bunch of games early in his career because of 'attitude' or something. Cutting off your nose to spite your face IMO. If he's good to come back to school, he should be good to play now.

He is not around, he is in NY. Not attending school. If he came back this year, he would have been a walk on, as we are full on scholarships.

He will be back at school and will have to do certain things Martin laid out before rejoining the team. He will practice and have a redshirt year if and when he rejoins the team.

Frank is doing what is best for his program. He earned that right. We aren’t going anywhere this year. There is more to the story that anyone on here knows, most likely. My concern is the number of players that have either left the program or dismissed by Coach Martin. I would like better evaluations to the kids heart, drive, attitude and will to be coached by Frank for 3 or 4years. We have trouble building depth with this revolving door for Frank’s teams.

Sonofa........

That is why we are not Kentucky, Florida, Clemson, .....and I'm glad we are not!! These are kids and we need to do the right thing. We are doing that.

Perhaps the underlying issues are bigger than basketball, and CFM, et al, want to give him time to get things straight, to focus on the truly important things to make him a better man and player in the long run.

I, too, was looking forward to him being back, but perhaps it would have taken longer than any of us expect for him to get back to game shape.

I'm trusting CFM in this. He's knows a lot more about this entire situation than any of us will ever know, and ultimately is doing what is best for Felder.

Bingo!

This is more than basketball, it's a life lesson and if Felder does not learn from this, then he won't be a productive member of society...

Tough love!

And from the basketball side, Felder wasn’t going to make the difference that some folks seemed to think this year anyway. He had some good moments last year, but that was a lot easier when the defensive focus was on Thornwell, Notice, and Dozier. He is a complimentary player, not a lead dog. Teach him a lesson this year and cool his heels for a while. Maybe he will come back a better man, and a better player, because of it.

Frank is doing what is best for his program. He earned that right. We aren’t going anywhere this year. There is more to the story that anyone on here knows, most likely. My concern is the number of players that have either left the program or dismissed by Coach Martin. I would like better evaluations to the kids heart, drive, attitude and will to be coached by Frank for 3 or 4years. We have trouble building depth with this revolving door for Frank’s teams.
I hear you, but there's that weird rant he had at the beginning of the year about being picked so low in the SEC. Reminds me of Spurrier's weird rant before the season where he quit. Hope we're not headed in the same direction.

Since when is college about becoming a better person? o_O
Especially college basketball

Reactions: lawcalcock
This stuff (BB guns, spitting, fighting) at say Kentucky, guess you have to maybe sit out a game or two, maybe not start for a while. Here it gets you off the team. Frank's running this program with high standards, and I'm glad. I absolutely admire him, absolutely support him. But where we are right now, we're playing FR/SOs and transfers because a bunch of guys came in here who thought they could mess around on Frank's time and get away with making him look like Calipari or Pitino and now they're gone. Apparently Frank believes Felder is redeemable, and I hope he's back next season.

Reactions: ansoncock
I feel like the difference between us and Clemsin is like this...
If your friend gives you $8 to get them lunch at McDonald’s and their total is $7.45
Clemsin keeps the .55 and eats some fries from the bag.
Carolina insists you take a dollar back, “because it wasn’t $8”.

Technically Carolina is the one giving the change and likely gets it wrong.

That is why we are not Kentucky, Florida, Clemson, .....and I'm glad we are not!! These are kids and we need to do the right thing. We are doing that.

uh duh...we need to win championships....Boosters don't give all the money for a boyscouts/choir boy organization

uh duh...we need to win championships....Boosters don't give all the money for a boyscouts/choir boy organization
When I think about how corrupt the NCAA is, and how dirty UNC basketball is, I just have to shake my head.

The reason I watch basketball is to see the young athletes perform. Sure, I'd like to see Coach FM be successful at USC. I just hope he can attract some more quality recruits who want to be coached up and will commit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT