Myrtle Beach SC
According to Sunday's Post & Courier, a four-year Fluor Field contract
for the neutral game site expired with the last out Saturday. Request for
Proposal letters will go out to cities interested in hosting the game in 2019
and beyond. Possible cities include Myrtle Beach, Charlotte, North Augusta,
Charleston, and Greenville.

Reactions: okccock and sadd66
Columbia should go for it too.

One thing that will be looked at will be the "casual fan experience" the location can offer. Like the location or not, Greenville has done a good job at attracting the "casual fan" the years it has hosted, with it's fan fair/tailgate thing. Charleston failed at this in 2012. MB could do well with this, given that it is across the street from Broadway. Whether or not anyone wants to admit it, this type of game attracts the casual fan more than it does the die hard ones of us who have season tickets. The fan that goes to the game more to be seen and say "yes I was there" than those of us who actually go for the game itself. That aspect has to be taken into consideration for an event such as this.

North Augusta is in the throws of building a new ballpark for the Augusta Greenjackets. That should be a NICE venue to host the neutral-site game!
It would, but I wonder if they would lean more toward some sort of border war games, like they already have scheduled for UGA/Clemsux (GO DAWGS!). Maybe an us v. GT, or us v. Ga Southern. We used to have some epic battles with the Eagles back in the day.

Reactions: sadd66
It would, but I wonder if they would lean more toward some sort of border war games, like they already have scheduled for UGA/Clemsux (GO DAWGS!). Maybe an us v. GT, or us v. Ga Southern. We used to have some epic battles with the Eagles back in the day.
I can see those sorts of match-ups. But at the same time, money talks! ;)

North Augusta can’t compete with Greenville, Charleston, etc with money.
Augusta is a Dustin Johnson driver away from the park but I doubt they would offer any financial incentive. Although all the hotels and most of the restaraunts are in Augusta. I’ll bet North Augusta will try though.

North Augusta is in the throws of building a new ballpark for the Augusta Greenjackets. That should be a NICE venue to host the neutral-site game!
Right down the road from me. Hope they play there.

Reactions: 92Pony
So Monte says he’d vote no for Charleston but later in the article says they would be open to anywhere and “we’ll play where they want us to play”.

Like we play a home-and-home on the diamond each year vs El-Cid, so does UGA and the Taters.

Taters moving their home contest with the Dawgs this year from Doug Kingsmore to SRP Park, i.e., they are still playing twice this year: once at Foley Field, and once at SRP.

We played the Eagles at neutral site Allendale for a while too. Not likely to return there:cool:

I don’t see why Columbia would not try to get the game at the Firefly’s venue. The neutral site game is held on a field that is neither team’s home venue, and the tickets are split 50-50 between the teams. I personally do not mind the neutral site game being held in Greenville because of that reason. There might be a few more general admission tickets sold to Clemson folks, but not enough that matters. There are a substantial number of Clemson fans in Columbia. Heck, the Columbia Iptay Club alone would buy the 3,500-4,000 tickets that would be alotted to Clemson if held at the Firefly’s field. So, why would Clemson object to that?

I don’t see why Columbia would not try to get the game at the Firefly’s venue. The neutral site game is held on a field that is neither team’s home venue, and the tickets are split 50-50 between the teams. I personally do not mind the neutral site game being held in Greenville because of that reason. There might be a few more general admission tickets sold to Clemson folks, but not enough that matters. There are a substantial number of Clemson fans in Columbia. Heck, the Columbia Iptay Club alone would buy the 3,500-4,000 tickets that would be alotted to Clemson if held at the Firefly’s field. So, why would Clemson object to that?

It's (Fireflys Stadium) better for Clem than going 115 to 150 miles further to Charleston or MB. Plus it's the newest baseball park in the state.

Why not rotate the 3rd game like they used to. It should NOT be in Greenville every year. Every game should be on TV or the internet - period. Should be no deals without that stipulation.

Why can't we just rotate a home and home every year? Is it that hard to do? You play the series in Columbia next year, then Clemson the year after, then back to Columbia. It's not rocket science.
Such would likely be the case if we were still in the ACC, but since we're not, each school apparently wants to have at least one home date per year.

Why not 3 at hooterville and 3 at Founders Park ?
Works for me. I hate all this "neutral site" crap. If they don't want to come down here and play well we shouldn't have to go up there to some stadium that's in their back yard.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
Why not 3 at hooterville and 3 at Founders Park ?
Not over two weekends, especially since 10 of the 14 are devoted to SEC contests.

The neutral site stuff doesn't bother me. If Greenville makes sure that the ticket allocation is 50-50, and the PA announcers, concessions, etc. are neutral, that's fine, as there are many Gamecock fans in the area.

It would be nice to rotate the game around the state (e.g., Spirit Communications Park, Pelicans, The Joe, and SRP are about the only other feasible in-state locations) so as to give people who aren't able to travel the opportunity to see the teams battle. I just can't see the game being held in Charlotte. Ft. Mill when the Knights played there might have been okay. Augusta - no, North Augusta - yes.

Let us remember how we got to this three game series..... the series was a four game series, one weekend game at each place and one mid week game at each place. The drawbacks to this were multiple;
• scheduling was tough as both teams ended up with a preconference weekend open date. Nobody would schedule either team for just a Sunday game and so each team had to find one more midweek game and had their pitching rotation thrown out of whack.
• Fans bitched, I know shocking, that the series could end in a tie. We must have a winner!
• Clemson/Jack Leggett openly and emphatically tanked the mid week games. Leggett said, "I will never pitch a pitcher in a midweek against Carolina who could possibly throw and help us in our much more important weekend conference series!" As a result we ended up with the infamous 32-14 game. Where CU had like 5 pitchers who's only season appearance was this game. Of course Legget used better pitchers in midweek games that were not against USC. Leggett sabotaged this format because he was an asshole and he was afraid of what Ray was building.

So our current format was a solution and improvement from how things were in the past.

Reactions: Gaimcock
Let us remember how we got to this three game series..... the series was a four game series, one weekend game at each place and one mid week game at each place. The drawbacks to this were multiple;
• scheduling was tough as both teams ended up with a preconference weekend open date. Nobody would schedule either team for just a Sunday game and so each team had to find one more midweek game and had their pitching rotation thrown out of whack.
• Fans bitched, I know shocking, that the series could end in a tie. We must have a winner!
• Clemson/Jack Leggett openly and emphatically tanked the mid week games. Leggett said, "I will never pitch a pitcher in a midweek against Carolina who could possibly throw and help us in our much more important weekend conference series!" As a result we ended up with the infamous 32-14 game. Where CU had like 5 pitchers who's only season appearance was this game. Of course Legget used better pitchers in midweek games that were not against USC. Leggett sabotaged this format because he was an asshole and he was afraid of what Ray was building.

So our current format was a solution and improvement from how things were in the past.
Yep, I remember all that! Remember Jack Leg the Dumb Ass and the heated bat's??

Augusta is a Dustin Johnson driver away from the park but I doubt they would offer any financial incentive. Although all the hotels and most of the restaraunts are in Augusta. I’ll bet North Augusta will try though.

Impressive. How in the world did they get that stadium across the river? Quite a coup.

The Myrtle Beach location could be a problem if the game is to be played at Pelican stadium on the first weekend in March. That is typically the same Saturday as the Myrtle Beach Full and Half marathons and 5k, which all start and end at Pelican Stadium. For example, next year the MB Marathon is Saturday March 2.

Works for me. I hate all this "neutral site" crap. If they don't want to come down here and play well we shouldn't have to go up there to some stadium that's in their back yard.
That's a big backyard. Its about 40 miles form Clemson to Fluor field and about 100 miles to Founders Park from Fluor field. Not a big difference time wise, maybe 45 minutes difference driving time. And besides you guys have an overall lead at Fluor field by a 5 to 4 margin even though Clemson has won the last three. Not much complaining until Clemson won the last three.

If the Carolina-Tillman game goes to Charlotte, NORTH CAROLINA, I riot.

The Myrtle Beach location could be a problem if the game is to be played at Pelican stadium on the first weekend in March. That is typically the same Saturday as the Myrtle Beach Full and Half marathons and 5k, which all start and end at Pelican Stadium. For example, next year the MB Marathon is Saturday March 2.
It would be nice if a deal could be worked out to work around that. I think MB would be a great host.

Looks like there still may be enough planned for the periphery of the ballpark to attract the casual fan, i.e. smaller restaurants, etc. Could be a possibility.

Why can't we just rotate a home and home every year? Is it that hard to do? You play the series in Columbia next year, then Clemson the year after, then back to Columbia. It's not rocket science.
Neither school wants to give up the gate for this game/series. That was originally proposed when we joined the SEC and had to do away with the 3 & 3.

I am a 1965 USC graduate. I remember the kittens coming to Columbia to play the Carolina-Clemson game every year. We made them sit in the sun, gave them less than 1/2 the tickets and no concessions sales. I think we should make the kittens come to play in Columbia every year like we did in football. For that matter, they should have to come to our house to play all their games.

I am a 1965 USC graduate. I remember the kittens coming to Columbia to play the Carolina-Clemson game every year. We made them sit in the sun, gave them less than 1/2 the tickets and no concessions sales. I think we should make the kittens come to play in Columbia every year like we did in football. For that matter, they should have to come to our house to play all their games.
I like that attitude.

And our stupidity in this matter killed Big Thursday.

Back to baseball, please.

We've done 3 & 3 since being in the SEC.
Not weekend series we haven't. The most we have played in a season since joining the SEC is 4 regular season games. Most were midweek contests until the mid 2000s when we'd alternate Saturday/Sunday one weekend, and then have 2 mid week contests.

The last true 3 & 3 series over two weekends during the season was in 1990. We played 3 up there and then had to settle for a DH here one weekend due to weather.

Last edited:
And our stupidity in this matter killed Big Thursday.

Back to baseball, please.
Baseball, football, whatever. We are the bigger school, we have the largest fan base, our facilities are the best. Not only do I feel we should not go to any neutral site to play them, we should never go there to play them in anything. We are the flag ship school in this state and we should demand we be respected by insisting they come here for all the rivalry games.

Not over two weekends, especially since 10 of the 14 are devoted to SEC contests.

The neutral site stuff doesn't bother me. If Greenville makes sure that the ticket allocation is 50-50, and the PA announcers, concessions, etc. are neutral, that's fine, as there are many Gamecock fans in the area.

It would be nice to rotate the game around the state (e.g., Spirit Communications Park, Pelicans, The Joe, and SRP are about the only other feasible in-state locations) so as to give people who aren't able to travel the opportunity to see the teams battle. I just can't see the game being held in Charlotte. Ft. Mill when the Knights played there might have been okay. Augusta - no, North Augusta - yes.

I would like it in Charlotte for purely selfish reasons. The BB&T ballpark is a fantastic ballpark and its the closest venue to my house. There are a ton of USC and Clemson alum in the Charlotte area that would probably enjoy and support this.

But I totally understand keeping it in the state and rotating it around.

Reactions: atl-cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT