ADVERTISEMENT

Final thoughts on this class

Gamecock Lifer

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
Oct 8, 2008
First in state- we landed 3 out of the top 4 SC recruits and 6 out of the top 10. Clemson got 0 of the top ten. Now I understand this is by choice- they value out of state recruiting and have a farther reach than us because of their recent success. But they still seemed to be getting the best in the state As well until a few years ago. We were dominating in state recruiting during our best years and that attitude some of those in state guys had about having pride in USC and understanding the rivalry helped us at that time. I hope that is something we see again soon...

Overall- this was a very too heavy class. We got a great DE, two great RBs, and the best QB in the state. The total number of “elite” recruits- 4-5* guys is low though. Even for our standards. Lots of 3* guys in the mix which is fine I put very little weight on the star rankings of one player but we seems to see that broadly speaking the CLASS rankings are somewhat indicative of future results. Someone posted a stat recently that we have averaged about 7th in the conf over the past 4-5 years in recruiting and out final record has left us averaging right around 7th in the SEC, crazy how that works out!

best position groups- DL and RB. Two positions where we graduated guys and needed to reload immediately, but both positions had some guys returning that have enough potential we are “ok” there. This class makes us MUCH better for Obvious reasons... both numbers and difference makers were added but I think we have talked quite enough about these position groups of late.

Worst- WR, which may be our biggest need, and OL, perhaps out second biggest. I say this because I do not feel we filled needs there. We got BODIES, and I hope I am wrong but I do not see elite speed with any of our WRs and that is what we are lacking... at OL we got mostly guys who need to grow into their frame it looks like... kind of “project” guys. It is a craps shoot when it comes to recruiting OL so you never know but we need immediate upgrades there like JUCOs, transfers... SOMETHING... and we did not get it from what I see.

The star power of our top 3-4 recruits is impressive given recent results. I am interested to see what Muschamp could do for us out there if we string together a couple really good years... I don’t know if this class is enough to erase memories of 4-8 or make me feel we will challenge for the east next year, but it does give me hope for the possibility of improvement.

Reactions: Brutal Rooster
If Muschamp is willing to open up the offense, rather than sticking to his conservative, manure-type offense, that will attract speed wide receivers. If not, possession-type receivers is all we will attract.

We need to do a better job of OL recruiting.

Reactions: 92Pony
If Muschamp is willing to open up the offense, rather than sticking to his conservative, manure-type offense, that will attract speed wide receivers. If not, possession-type receivers is all we will attract.

We need to do a better job of OL recruiting.

^^ This x eleventy-billion!!!

Why would a dynamic skill-pos player want to play in a boring offense that A> isn't any fun, and 2> won't showcase their skills?!?!?

^^ This x eleventy-billion!!!

Why would a dynamic skill-pos player want to play in a boring offense that A> isn't any fun, and 2> won't showcase their skills?!?!?

Why?As to youir first point: I have to agree. It is boring and not alot of fun.

As to your second point: Because Hurst was a first rounder and Deebo was a high second rounder despite a history of injury. We'll see what the pros think of B. Edwards pretty soon. Their skills were showcased despite being in a boring offense.

If we go to the real RPO option, our OL won't hurt us. If you look at our hated enemy, they have had no great OL. Not one that I know of in NFL. They are successful because they don't put pressure on their OL and they have good running backs.

Not sure how to word this but here goes...
This class isn’t so good as to outweigh our coaching. It’s a solid class. Not many 4-stars but the class can help win. When you look at Muschamp’s classes here they arent so different. The main thing with us will be to get 4 or 5 star coaching. THEN the class rankings will improve.

I would of liked for Javion Cohen to be part of the 2020 class, but he decommitted from South Carolina and I think he ended up signing with Alabama. I cannot remember if Tank Bigsby was ever committed to South Carolina or not, but that could of been a boost singing him as far as recruiting ratings. Desmond Evans and Reggie Grimes were targets for South Carolina, but committed to the tarheels and sooners. Other than that, I think South Carolina got what they were aiming for. .

Reactions: GeoCocky
I would of liked for Javion Cohen to be part of the 2020 class, but he decommitted from South Carolina and I think he ended up signing with Alabama. I cannot remember if Tank Bigsby was ever committed to South Carolina or not, but that could of been a boost singing him as far as recruiting ratings. Desmond Evans and Reggie Grimes were targets for South Carolina, but committed to the tarheels and sooners. Other than that, I think South Carolina got what they were aiming for. .

Agree on Cohen because I really want to see us continue to upgrade our line. I didn't expect to get Evans, but I wish we could have landed him since we didn't get a top end Buck this year. I'm not sold on our depth at DB so the other guy who I really wish we could have gotten was Conley. Bigsby? Meh, I'll get over it since we got White to complement Lloyd (plus Amos).

All in all, though, an unbelievable haul at DT, quality at RB, a P5-quality DT QB, and lots of potential at WR / TE / ATH. Only time will tell about the OL but we definitely got bigger.

Not sure how to word this but here goes...
This class isn’t so good as to outweigh our coaching. It’s a solid class. Not many 4-stars but the class can help win. When you look at Muschamp’s classes here they arent so different. The main thing with us will be to get 4 or 5 star coaching. THEN the class rankings will improve.

Its true the final class rankings have all been about the same but Muschamp's hit rate has been phenomenal. We've had very few players transfer or just not pan out. Each class seems to get a little better and many true freshman see the field immediately. When he first got here we needed to upgrade the talent, which he's done. Then build depth, which has done. Now we need to add in a few difference makers on each side of the ball. We'll see if some of these players are difference makers. I like the combination of Lloyd and White at RB, and two 5 stars and five 4 stars along our DL.

Whether or not Muschamp can coach them up is another conversation. I'm not convinced he can.

Reactions: b_huggins
Its true the final class rankings have all been about the same but Muschamp's hit rate has been phenomenal. We've had very few players transfer or just not pan out. Each class seems to get a little better and many true freshman see the field immediately. When he first got here we needed to upgrade the talent, which he's done. Then build depth, which has done. Now we need to add in a few difference makers on each side of the ball. We'll see if some of these players are difference makers. I like the combination of Lloyd and White at RB, and two 5 stars and five 4 stars along our DL.

Whether or not Muschamp can coach them up is another conversation. I'm not convinced he can.
You keep saying this. But what proof other than a lower transfer rate is there to back this up? Which of his recruits have gotten better under his coaching? Kinlaw? Probably. Rico? Maybe? Who else?

As this supposed "hit rate" has gone up, our wins have gone down. I'm finding really hard to buy into this theory.

This is off topic but I have a question. Is there a kind of a connection between Colman Hutzler and the Texas Coaching staff? I just found it out of the blue Texas hiring Hutzler.

There's nothing mentioned about connections in this Texas-based article, other than his having experience recruiting the state. Herman simply said:

“Coleman is a coach who came highly recommended by several people I have a great deal of respect for in our business. When we had a chance to sit down and talk with him, he certainly lived up to everything we had heard. He has a wealth of knowledge and experience, is high energy and has accomplished a great deal while spending much of his career coaching in big-time environments in the SEC. He’ll do a terrific job developing our linebackers and helping us grow on defense. We’re excited to get him on board and to get him around our team and out on the road recruiting for us.”

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...ns-co-defensive-coordinator-linebackers-coach

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
This is off topic but I have a question. Is there a kind of a connection between Colman Hutzler and the Texas Coaching staff? I just found it out of the blue Texas hiring Hutzler.

Everyone at Texas, by that I mean posters on the Orangebloods boards, felt exactly the same way. Everyone said: "Who?". No one knew of any connections. All that was said by Coach Herman at the hiring announcement : “Coleman is a coach who came highly recommended by several people I have a great deal of respect for in our business.” All of the other coaching hires either had some connection to Herman, to the new DC Ash, or to Texas. I agree it seems out of the blue.

Last edited:
Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
This class reminds me of some of ours from the early 2010’s. You have a few studs and then a number of guys that may not be highly rated but have potential. I realize this is obvious but everything is there, you just have to have a few of those 4 stars turn into 5 stars.
Regarding the Burch recruitment. Was certainly a little more dramatic than you would want but focus on this. He chose USC over the last 2 defending national champions (and a recent recruiting national champ).

First in state- we landed 3 out of the top 4 SC recruits and 6 out of the top 10. Clemson got 0 of the top ten. Now I understand this is by choice- they value out of state recruiting and have a farther reach than us because of their recent success. But they still seemed to be getting the best in the state As well until a few years ago. We were dominating in state recruiting during our best years and that attitude some of those in state guys had about having pride in USC and understanding the rivalry helped us at that time. I hope that is something we see again soon...

Overall- this was a very too heavy class. We got a great DE, two great RBs, and the best QB in the state. The total number of “elite” recruits- 4-5* guys is low though. Even for our standards. Lots of 3* guys in the mix which is fine I put very little weight on the star rankings of one player but we seems to see that broadly speaking the CLASS rankings are somewhat indicative of future results. Someone posted a stat recently that we have averaged about 7th in the conf over the past 4-5 years in recruiting and out final record has left us averaging right around 7th in the SEC, crazy how that works out!

best position groups- DL and RB. Two positions where we graduated guys and needed to reload immediately, but both positions had some guys returning that have enough potential we are “ok” there. This class makes us MUCH better for Obvious reasons... both numbers and difference makers were added but I think we have talked quite enough about these position groups of late.

Worst- WR, which may be our biggest need, and OL, perhaps out second biggest. I say this because I do not feel we filled needs there. We got BODIES, and I hope I am wrong but I do not see elite speed with any of our WRs and that is what we are lacking... at OL we got mostly guys who need to grow into their frame it looks like... kind of “project” guys. It is a craps shoot when it comes to recruiting OL so you never know but we need immediate upgrades there like JUCOs, transfers... SOMETHING... and we did not get it from what I see.

The star power of our top 3-4 recruits is impressive given recent results. I am interested to see what Muschamp could do for us out there if we string together a couple really good years... I don’t know if this class is enough to erase memories of 4-8 or make me feel we will challenge for the east next year, but it does give me hope for the possibility of improvement.

I might think a little more of the class than you, although I agree with most of what you said. At WR we got two pretty good dudes. I agree we need speed and we will still be lacking a little there, but it was not a position of need. We had great need at DL and RB. We did very well there. Think our worst was at LB. we had a need there and did not fill it.

OL, I agree is a crap shoot and the players we signed look like projects except the big JUCO kid. You can’t coach’um up to 6’7” and 340. But we have some good OL’s and in my opinion it was not a position of great need. Also, we need a punter. Not sure if we filled that spot.

There is very little, actual difference in a 3-star 5.7 and a 4-star 5.8. The stars make it seem so, I guess. Sometimes that difference depends on how many scouts have seen them and how many times. Debo was a 3-star and anyone who saw him play, say in the Shirne Bowl could tell how good he was, and how much better he was than all the other receivers. He was a HS QB similar to Pharoah Cooper , but not many saw him play WR.

I alway try to keep one thing in mind about recruiting. Your top 44 players are what matters in the SEC. I think you can get by with having a good top 22 in the ACC, that is until you play Clemson. But, take a look. Our top players are fairly well ranked. When you see a bunch of two stars and three stars on the depth chart, with four star back ups, it tells me we did a good recruiting job.

Why do none of your posts have any relevance or value to the discussion at hand. Sometimes when you have nothing to say, you have an option to just STFU. Advice for the future that may serve you well.
Ok...my final thoughts on your thoughts on this recruiting class. You can spin this any way you want, but until Muschamp finds a way to coach up the talent he recruits, recruiting is largely irrelevant.
And maybe losing to App St gets in your crawl....it should. 4-8....deal with it.

Reactions: ddw1263
Ok...my final thoughts on your thoughts on this recruiting class. You can spin this any way you want, but until Muschamp finds a way to coach up the talent he recruits, recruiting is largely irrelevant.
And maybe losing to App St gets in your crawl....it should. 4-8....deal with it.
About as reasonable of a response as one can expect from a tool posting on an internet forum with a screen name “Flameout” I suppose. The app state loss didn’t bother me, they were a top 25 team most the season. Your posts make no sense and have zero relevance to the conversation at hand. You are a whiney little child and I have no use ever seeing anything you say again. Thank you for making the decision easy for me.

About as reasonable of a response as one can expect from a tool posting on an internet forum with a screen name “Flameout” I suppose. The app state loss didn’t bother me, they were a top 25 team most the season. Your posts make no sense and have zero relevance to the conversation at hand. You are a whiney little child and I have no use ever seeing anything you say again. Thank you for making the decision easy for me.
You don't seem happy. App St was a ranked team because of coaching. USC was a 4-8 team because of coaching. Deal with it.

I might think a little more of the class than you, although I agree with most of what you said. At WR we got two pretty good dudes. I agree we need speed and we will still be lacking a little there, but it was not a position of need. We had great need at DL and RB. We did very well there. Think our worst was at LB. we had a need there and did not fill it.

OL, I agree is a crap shoot and the players we signed look like projects except the big JUCO kid. You can’t coach’um up to 6’7” and 340. But we have some good OL’s and in my opinion it was not a position of great need. Also, we need a punter. Not sure if we filled that spot.

There is very little, actual difference in a 3-star 5.7 and a 4-star 5.8. The stars make it seem so, I guess. Sometimes that difference depends on how many scouts have seen them and how many times. Debo was a 3-star and anyone who saw him play, say in the Shirne Bowl could tell how good he was, and how much better he was than all the other receivers. He was a HS QB similar to Pharoah Cooper , but not many saw him play WR.

I alway try to keep one thing in mind about recruiting. Your top 44 players are what matters in the SEC. I think you can get by with having a good top 22 in the ACC, that is until you play Clemson. But, take a look. Our top players are fairly well ranked. When you see a bunch of two stars and three stars on the depth chart, with four star back ups, it tells me we did a good recruiting job.

We actually have a highly rated left footed punter coming in this year
Noticed you said we did not fill spot at punter
On OL we finally seem to be signing quality back to back classes

Muschamp and his coaching staff need to take what I believe is Top 20 talent and produce a Top 15 team. That is what I'm hoping for in 2020.
The only problem with this is we play 5 or 6 teams in the top 15, along with the injuries the last 2 years. now I will be shown how wrong I am.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT