ADVERTISEMENT

Finebaum

Have we improved in 4 years? Have no answer myself, just asking because we knew HBC was improving in the early years. If you believe we continue to improve, then give him 2-3 more years. Either way, I will be supporting whomever is HFB coach.
We had no clue he was improving. He held on to a terrible OL coach for far too long (perhaps the worst we've ever had), and went through 2 DCs (the second no better than the first). We were, at best, treading water....but I love all the revisionist history regarding the first several years of his tenure.

Reactions: agantt
We had no clue he was improving. He held on to a terrible OL coach for far too long (perhaps the worst we've ever had), and went through 2 DCs (the second no better than the first). We were, at best, treading water....but I love all the revisionist history regarding the first several years of his tenure.
Good point. If we can really improve our talent level each year, we will finally play with the big boys. Since we continue to have the "youngest team" around each year, our talent level is improving. We just need to keep up with "Joneses". Can we improve more than others each year?

Reactions: rogue cock

I disagree. Spurrier beat teams we had not beaten in s long time. He gave us a glimpse of what was to come. Not the case with CWM. Has he beaten any team where we were the underdogs? Michigan in a Bowl. Yes. But an SEC team? Clemson? No.

Last edited:
I disagree. Spurrier beat teams we had not beaten in s long time. He have us a glimpse of what was to come. Not the case with CWM. Has he beaten any team where we were the underdogs? Michigan in a Bowl. Yes. But an SEC team? Clemson? No.
Well, the Clemson teams he played were significantly different than those Muschamp has played. Not to mention he had a losing record (1-3) against an average Clemson coach in Bowden. While he upset a few teams, his teams consistently had bad losses against some very poor teams. Failed to make a bowl game one year and lost 3 of his first 4 bowls. His first four to five years, we weren't any better than we were under Holtz....we were treading water.

Well, the Clemson teams he played were significantly different than those Muschamp has played. Not to mention he had a losing record (1-3) against an average Clemson coach in Bowden. While he upset a few teams, his teams consistently had bad losses against some very poor teams. Failed to make a bowl game one year and lost 3 of his first 4 bowls. His first four to five years, we weren't any better than we were under Holtz....we were treading water.

Well the Clemson teams he played won ACC championships! WM keeps losing to Kentucky!

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Well the Clemson teams he played won ACC championships! WM keeps losing to Kentucky!
Well, you are wrong. NONE of the first five Clemson teams Spurrier played won the ACC, the fifth one was the only one that even won their division. Spurrier also lost to UK the last two times he played them. Try again....

Reactions: flatwoodcock
This is laughable bacause Bama is just as dirty. I don’t hear Finebaum digging into the three Bama players suspended. Ratings whore. Funny to watch the Tiggers get all riled up by a hack.

Well, you are wrong. NONE of the first five Clemson teams Spurrier played won the ACC, the fifth one was the only one that even won their division. Spurrier also lost to UK the last two times he played them. Try again....

I was not talking about the first years. But, more generally. Read my post.

Go back to your original post in response to Deerhunter. You made a comment that we had no clue that Spurrier was improving. There were hints that he indeed was. Beating teams like Florida when they were not down was a good example.
Or losing to teams with .500 or worse records, or getting whipped by middling teams from the Big East could indicate we were getting worse....so there were hints that he indeed was not. Which is why I said we were treading water.

Or losing to teams with .500 or worse records, or getting whipped by middling teams from the Big East could indicate we were getting worse....so there were hints that he indeed was not. Which is why I said we were treading water.

And how has WM fared? Lost to UK, UGA, and CU since he has been here. You think he can ever beat UGA or CU? Anyone who thinks Champ is going to be successful here is looking more at disappointment.

Champ has brought Saban’s style to Carolina. This requires an outstanding back every season and an outstanding OL. We don’t have that. It is the grind it out style of football. The Spurrier style of offense is essential here, where we win because the coach is innovative. With that said, if we get Bigsby with Lloyd it could get interesting if the OL improves.

UGA can better mimic the Saban approach because they have outstanding talent every year and have superlative backs.

Last edited:
And how has WM fared? Lost to UK, UGA, and CU since he has been here. You think he can ever beat UGA or CU? Anyone who thinks Champ is going to be successful here is looking more at disappointment.

Champ has brought Saban’s style to Carolina. This requires an outstanding back every season and an outstanding OL. We don’t have that. It is the grind it out style of football. The Spurrier style of offense is essential here, where we win because the coach is innovative. With that said, if we get Bigsby with Lloyd it could get interesting if the OL improves.

UGA can better mimic the Saban approach because they have outstanding talent every year and have superlative backs.
True feeling come out.,,,now we know what side you are really on. Just take a break from USC sports and go pull for Clemson or someone else. At least Muschamp hasn't lost to a team with a .500 or worse record at SC. Spurrier kept on "Clemsoning."

This is laughable bacause Bama is just as dirty. I don’t hear Finebaum digging into the three Bama players suspended. Ratings whore. Funny to watch the Tiggers get all riled up by a hack.
They might be dirty and pay players but i bet they ain't on PEDS, if they were they would have been caught at the title game like (Clems-son) did. Some Bama players did get suspended from the game but i haven't heard the word Ostarine come up yet.

True feeling come out.,,,now we know what side you are really on. Just take a break from USC sports and go pull for Clemson or someone else. At least Muschamp hasn't lost to a team with a .500 or worse record at SC. Spurrier kept on "Clemsoning."

What a response!! Is that all you got? When we start beating CU then I will say we have a great coach. I just hope the coming season turns out well. Another season of disappointment is just not appealing.

Last edited:
What a response!! Is that all you got? When we start beating CU then I will say we have a great coach. I just hope the coming season turns out well. Another season of disappointment is just not appealing.
It's better than what you had....a fictionalized fantasy of Spurrier's first 5 years at USC.

The attempt at going the Bama/UGA route on offense would be a terrible decision for us. I hope BMac starts to spread it out more, because we just will never have the horses consistently via recruiting to be able to line up and run over people. We need to find those kids who can play in space and attack teams vertically and horizontally. We have never consistently brought in OL/RB combos like Bama or UGA (Kirby can duplicate Bama's plan with his OL and RB recruiting/tradition).

I will say we don't have the benefit of a deep WR chart right now, so it may be easier said than done to spread it out.

Both Muschamp and Spurrier had relevant histories before they got to USC. One guy had a national championship and the other was Will Muschamp.

Both Muschamp and Spurrier had relevant histories before they got to USC. One guy had a national championship and the other was Will Muschamp.
What any coach did before or after has no bearing on how they will do at another school...see Paul Dietzel, Danny Ford, Saban at MSU, Lou Holtz. He'll Spurrier only won one division championship while he was here, despite all his accolades at UF. It doesn't carry.

I disagree. Spurrier beat teams we had not beaten in s long time. He gave us a glimpse of what was to come. Not the case with CWM. Has he beaten any team where we were the underdogs? Michigan in a Bowl. Yes. But an SEC team? Clemson? No.

We beat Tennessee and Florida his first season. Both of those teams we were a combine 1-whatever since joining the SEC. agree with you completely. While the Spurrier era had it’s ups and downs early, that was the first time many Gamecocks believed we could win the East. I think in the beginning we were just waiting for Spurrier to get his guy at QB. Really, once he did, we saw success.

We’d probably feel better if we are where we are and never had Spurrier. Muschamp off to a better start than Lou Holtz, granted he took over a better job thank Lou did.

What any coach did before or after has no bearing on how they will do at another school...see Paul Dietzel, Danny Ford, Saban at MSU, Lou Holtz. He'll Spurrier only won one division championship while he was here, despite all his accolades at UF. It doesn't carry.
The totality of a coach's resume has no bearing on how they're perceived because of...anecdotes?

Look, credibility or not, the guy has at least two years to get it done. We'll see how it goes.

He NEEDS to beat Kentucky.
Exactly. We need to beat everyone we are supposed to beat. If we beat UGA, Clemson, or Bama we should be ecstatic. We do need to beat someone we're not expected to but at this point, that would include Texas A&M and Florida. There are 5 teams on our schedule that will be ranked ahead of us this preseason. We've expected to beat UK every year but it hasn't worked out in the last 5. If we take care of who we are supposed to and can knock off 1 of the 5 ranked teams we will have a very respectable season. There is a lot that can happen between now and then but we really should be realistic about where we're at as a program and the rebuild that had to take place.

Reactions: PC31

The 1st 2 seasons we were underdogs against nearly every power 5 team we played. I recall the SEC Network had us picked to win 3 or 4 games both of those seasons. We won about 8 more games than they predicted us to win.

Last season was a letdown though but injuries that consisted of losing one of our best defensive players early in the season against Coastal on a defense that lost Skai Moore was bad news early.

Offensively it was a transition year with a new coordinator so Jake was inconsistent and we lost Ortre Smith for a season and Bryan Edwards played hurt and missed some games so our passing game was inconsistent with alot of drops.

For us to improve on offense, our receivers need to really step up this year and a a 900 to 1000 yard dependable go to guy needs too develop. All the best teams have the big time receiver that make the catch and gets the yards after making it.

RB is another story but help is hopefully on the way.

The 1st 2 seasons we were underdogs against nearly every power 5 team we played. I recall the SEC Network had us picked to win 3 or 4 games both of those seasons. We won about 8 more games than they predicted us to win.

Last season was a letdown though but injuries that consisted of losing one of our best defensive players early in the season against Coastal on a defense that lost Skai Moore was bad news early.

Offensively it was a transition year with a new coordinator so Jake was inconsistent and we lost Ortre Smith for a season and Bryan Edwards played hurt and missed some games so our passing game was inconsistent with alot of drops.

For us to improve on offense, our receivers need to really step up this year and a a 900 to 1000 yard dependable go to guy needs too develop. All the best teams have the big time receiver that make the catch and gets the yards after making it.

RB is another story but help is hopefully on the way.
How many D1 teams with a winning record did we beat that first year? I don't think very many at all. Boom has been the beneficiary of some very winnable schedules his first couple of seasons until now at least.

How many D1 teams with a winning record did we beat that first year? I don't think very many at all. Boom has been the beneficiary of some very winnable schedules his first couple of seasons until now at least.

We play basically the same schedule as Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee every year. We won 9 of 16 SEC games those seasons and went 1-1 in bowls. No arguing how poor our roster was and if Dabo and his staff were coaching it, I doubt they would have done any better.

We play basically the same schedule as Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee every year. We won 9 of 16 SEC games those seasons and went 1-1 in bowls. No arguing how poor our roster was and if Dabo and his staff were coaching it, I doubt they would have done any better.
You think a failed head coach from Florida who rehired a failed OC that he eventually canned would produce the same results as the coaching staff that just won 2 out of 3 national titles? That doesn't seem reasonable.

You think a failed head coach from Florida who rehired a failed OC that he eventually canned would produce the same results as the coaching staff that just won 2 out of 3 national titles? That doesn't seem reasonable.

With 2 true Freshmen QBs, true Freshmen RBs, true Freshmen #2 WR, I surely do. Many coaches with Clemson's roster and schedule can make the playoffs.

Jeff Scott has said multiple time, anybody can coach x's and o's but winning is about crootin....

Both jobs Muschamp has taken over had roster issues in need of repair well beyond anything Dabo has ever played a season with.

Last edited:
There is no point beating up on Muschamp. Let’s see how he does. I am sure he is doing his best. I wish him all the best on this July 4th.

Wish to hell USC would start Clemsoning”!

I am so glad he finally brought up the Ostarine scandal at Clemson and had the sportswriter from P&C on his show. Just like he said, if Dabo has nothing to hide then let the people know what came out in the investigation. Dabo ain't nothing but a lying SOB and Finebaum said Dabo has the biggest mouth of all college coaches but right now he won't talk. I hope this gets the ball rolling and is the downfall of one of the cheatingest programs in the history of college football.
True. Charley Pell takes home 1st place for coaches. Urban Meyer was gaining on him but kept retiring before they could nab him.

We beat Tennessee and Florida his first season. Both of those teams we were a combine 1-whatever since joining the SEC. agree with you completely. While the Spurrier era had it’s ups and downs early, that was the first time many Gamecocks believed we could win the East. I think in the beginning we were just waiting for Spurrier to get his guy at QB. Really, once he did, we saw success.

We’d probably feel better if we are where we are and never had Spurrier. Muschamp off to a better start than Lou Holtz, granted he took over a better job thank Lou did.

Spurrier(his first year) took a team that should've been 3-8, or 4-7 and went to a bowl and until the last week had them in contention for the east, Muschamp had a team at UF that was preseason top 25, should've gone bowling and contended for the east that went 4-8(2013).

Spurrier(his first year) took a team that should've been 3-8, or 4-7 and went to a bowl and until the last week had them in contention for the east, Muschamp had a team at UF that was preseason top 25, should've gone bowling and contended for the east that went 4-8(2013).

Obviously I meant at SC.

Both Finebaum and Sapakoff have used the word nefarious to describe the behavior of Clemson's reaction to FOIA requests by the Post and Courier. I doubt Dabo or many Clemson grads know what that word means but if they looked it up, their temperature would rise and gaskets would be blown. It is the perfect word for them.

Love the sec and USC logic.... tigers beat Bama for the second time in three years...none of the supposed performance enhancing players saw the field, so the second team replacements held their own.
The tater boys could have piled it on at the end and instead ran the clock out.

So USC actually played better than the big old bad Bama....going by statistics Bama should be the underdog against USC. If as it should be... Clemson as the barometer , USC should be favoured against most of the teams on their schedule. Oh no mention of the Cavaliers. Save for another day.

Reactions: SOSUSC
Love the sec and USC logic.... tigers beat Bama for the second time in three years...none of the supposed performance enhancing players saw the field, so the second team replacements held their own.
The tater boys could have piled it on at the end and instead ran the clock out.

So USC actually played better than the big old bad Bama....going by statistics Bama should be the underdog against USC. If as it should be... Clemson as the barometer , USC should be favoured against most of the teams on their schedule. Oh no mention of the Cavaliers. Save for another day.

Kinda tongue in cheek! But still an interesting post!

Reactions: Duckcommander0519
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT