ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Ray Tanner…..

Gamecockben1979

Jun 5, 2017
I’ve never been that guy. But let’s look at it this way. If you were to give a grade to all of our major programs, right now I’d say:

Football: C…but that’s a much higher grade than I would have given it a year or two ago.
Mens Basketball: C-
Baseball: D

And those grades are generous. If Dawn Staley left tomorrow, pretty much 95% of Ray Tanners success would walk out the door with it.

At the last Ray should be in the hot seat. I don’t think any other SEC or D1 program would have kept him around after the Mooshamp hire. Tanner must know where the bodies are buried, have some info on someone.

At the last Ray should be in the hot seat. I don’t think any other SEC or D1 program would have kept him around after the Mooshamp hire. Tanner must know where the bodies are buried, have some info on someone.
Tanner's got job security. His boss is an interim guy (Pastides, who actually hired him) and does not have strings now to fire in that role. And the BOT is going to do nothing but collect their fat checks. Screwed up situation but that's the Garnet way.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
The BOT likes Tanner because he brings money in to get athletic projects done and other than his hiring record, he has actually done a very good job. He will be retiring in less than 2 years. And he did manage to hold onto Staley when TOSU came hard after her....I thought for sure that we would lose her at that point.

The BOT likes Tanner because he brings money in to get athletic projects done and other than his hiring record, he has actually done a very good job. He will be retiring in less than 2 years. And he did manage to hold onto Staley when TOSU came hard after her....I thought for sure that we would lose her at that point.
I get the fund raiser part. But you have to concede that his hiring record is a very important part of the job and that’s the part where he is failing miserably.

If it weren’t for Shane Beamer pulling off a couple of huge wins, the pitchforks would probably already be out.

Reactions: roosterbell
I get the fund raiser part. But you have to concede that his hiring record is a very important part of the job and that’s the part where he is failing miserably.

If it weren’t for Shane Beamer pulling off a couple of huge wins, the pitchforks would probably already be out.
The pitchforks were out for him when UGA used the "nuclear option" to get Smart before we did. Holbrook ended up being a bad hire....but I know no one who would have predicted that. He definitely waited on Herman too long especially after Texas got "involved"....the writing was on the wall at that point. And I also preferred Lemonis over Kingston....but not sure we could've held on to him if/when Mississippi State came calling.

The pitchforks were out for him when UGA used the "nuclear option" to get Smart before we did. Holbrook ended up being a bad hire....but I know no one who would have predicted that. He definitely waited on Herman too long especially after Texas got "involved"....the writing was on the wall at that point. And I also preferred Lemonis over Kingston....but not sure we could've held on to him if/when Mississippi State came calling.
I don’t fault the Holbrook hire. Given our success we had to hire from within. However, the Kingston hire put up some red flags. If there was any sport where Tanner could have made a home run hire it was baseball. So far he’s looking like he has hired two duds.

If the man can’t even hire a good college baseball coach, I think it’s fair to ask if he could make a solid hire in any sport.

Obviously with hind sight Lemonis looks like the better hire coming off a World Series. Having said that he had the resume to get hired at Miss State and you could argue that even then he had a resume as good, if not better, than the current coach.

I don’t fault the Holbrook hire. Given our success we had to hire from within. However, the Kingston hire put up some red flags. If there was any sport where Tanner could have made a home run hire it was baseball. So far he’s looking like he has hired two duds.

If the man can’t even hire a good college baseball coach, I think it’s fair to ask if he could make a solid hire in any sport.

Obviously with hind sight Lemonis looks like the better hire coming off a World Series. Having said that he had the resume to get hired at Miss State and you could argue that even then he had a resume as good, if not better, than the current coach.
Both baseballgirl and I were both criticized for mentioning him because he was "from the Big Ten." Hard to tell....alot of people wanted Monte Lee....Clemson fans have been ready to throw him on the trash heap. I don't believe it is easy to tell which coach can take the step up to a larger program....and no one hits 100%. Clemson got lucky with Dabo.....damned lucky.

Both baseballgirl and I were both criticized for mentioning him because he was "from the Big Ten." Hard to tell....alot of people wanted Monte Lee....Clemson fans have been ready to throw him on the trash heap. I don't believe it is easy to tell which coach can take the step up to a larger program....and no one hits 100%. Clemson got lucky with Dabo.....damned lucky.
There were certainly enough locals that knew Chris Lemonis could coach back then. He also had much better connections to the area than the current coach….and man this sounds so much like our basketball search.

There were certainly enough locals that knew Chris Lemonis could coach back then. He also had much better connections to the area than the current coach….and man this sounds so much like our basketball search.
Agree. He grew up in Charleston and played at the Citadel. Frankly, I don't know whether we made inquiries or not. I hope we would have but who knows....after Herman he's kept everything pretty close to the vest.

The problem is that I'm not sure if Ray is anything more than a yes man for those on the BOT. If not, he certainly can't sell any candidate, with any options, on USC. He got played by Smart, Riley, and Herman. At that point was stuck with Muschamp who nobody else wanted. The Kingston hire hasn't exactly set the world on fire. The last football hire, Ray played it safe. Napier talked himself out of it by demanding too much. So that left him with Chadwell, who had no big offers, and Beamer who nobody had anywhere near a list of candidates for a HC job, but was begging for it. This time, Ray gets played by Miller. Then everybody else in the SEC moves quickly to sign guys that they no doubt had deals cut with a while back. So then Ray is left with two guys nobody else was interested in with Paris and BJ. Same ole, same ole. The sad part is that I don't think anybody in power really cares. They are fine with things as they are as long as they get to cash that SEC check.

The problem is that I'm not sure if Ray is anything more than a yes man for those on the BOT. If not, he certainly can't sell any candidate, with any options, on USC. He got played by Smart, Riley, and Herman. At that point was stuck with Muschamp who nobody else wanted. The Kingston hire hasn't exactly set the world on fire. The last football hire, Ray played it safe. Napier talked himself out of it by demanding too much. So that left him with Chadwell, who had no big offers, and Beamer who nobody had anywhere near a list of candidates for a HC job, but was begging for it. This time, Ray gets played by Miller. Then everybody else in the SEC moves quickly to sign guys that they no doubt had deals cut with a while back. So then Ray is left with two guys nobody else was interested in with Paris and BJ. Same ole, same ole. The sad part is that I don't think anybody in power really cares. They are fine with things as they are as long as they get to cash that SEC check.
Napier talked his way out of it because he refused to do a second interview for Caslen and a few board members......and, yes, he was probably wanting more than Caslen and the BOT were willing to pay. I blame him for waiting too long on Herman, but I don't think anyone expected what UGA was willing to do to get him....that took everyone by surprise. We had no chance on Riley the moment he landed back in Oklahoma.

And how does that equal success in our men's programs, I think you really missed the point. He is a true hillbilly.
It aids success because it gives the programs the facilities they need to sell to recruits. You must not have a clue how far behind that we actually were in facilities when he took over.

Do you guys not realize that talking all this does no good on this message board.....be smart enough to do it where it can make a real difference!

I’ve never been that guy. But let’s look at it this way. If you were to give a grade to all of our major programs, right now I’d say:

Football: C…but that’s a much higher grade than I would have given it a year or two ago.
Mens Basketball: C-
Baseball: D

And those grades are generous. If Dawn Staley left tomorrow, pretty much 95% of Ray Tanners success would walk out the door with it.
Ray Tanner didn't hire Dawn, so that success is not and should not be considered his. Luckily for us, she hasn't let his incompetence ruin her program.

You know, this coaching search also proved just how tone deaf Ray is. Now once Ray got past the top two, or three, that told him no, another handful that took other jobs before he even got the chance, and his decision to ignore Greg Marshall, it came down to the two candidates at the bottom that nobody else wanted and there was no competition for. From what I heard, it seemed like every player since the McGuire era was pushing for BJ in some fashion. And once we got to this point what did it matter. So what does Ray do? Makes a bad decision worse by ticking off players from the last 30 years and going with the other guy. You just can't make this stuff up.

You know, this coaching search also proved just how tone deaf Ray is. Now once Ray got past the top two, or three, that told him no, another handful that took other jobs before he even got the chance, and his decision to ignore Greg Marshall, it came down to the two candidates at the bottom that nobody else wanted and there was no competition for. From what I heard, it seemed like every player since the McGuire era was pushing for BJ in some fashion. And once we got to this point what did it matter. So what does Ray do? Makes a bad decision worse by ticking off players from the last 30 years and going with the other guy. You just can't make this stuff up.
A lot of projected assumations in there. Don't know whether Marshall was contacted or not, but from what I've been told, he would have been an "impossible sell" to many on the board.

Last edited:
A lot of projected assumations in there. Don't know whether Marshall was contacted or not, but from what I've been told, he would have been an "impossible sell" to many on the board.
I have no doubt Ray didnt talk to him, or try. A problem at USC. Too many are worried about things other than winning.

WELL GG JACKSON'S MOM LOVES RAY TANNER.

I have no doubt Ray didnt talk to him, or try. A problem at USC. Too many are worried about things other than winning.
Perhaps, but I did hear he talked to Myles Solomon who represents many college basketball coaches....including the aforementioned.

Success is what we are all after. Not necessarily big name hires with big contracts. We've replaced the men's football and basketball coaches within the past year.

Beamer had a good first season. Paris hasn't played a game but could turn out a great fit. Dawn is dynamite. Kingston is now on shaky ground and really needs a series win at home against a top team this weekend.

I'm not a Ray Tanner pacifist. However, I agree with Rogue Cock that Ray probably hasn't been making these decisions since Muschamp, and the email exchanges during the Beamer hire reinforce this position. If you're frustrated with what is happening now, you have to make changes from top to bottom. Not just target one individual who has otherwise been a great representative of the University.

Success is what we are all after. Not necessarily big name hires with big contracts. We've replaced the men's football and basketball coaches within the past year.

Beamer had a good first season. Paris hasn't played a game but could turn out a great fit. Dawn is dynamite. Kingston is now on shaky ground and really needs a series win at home against a top team this weekend.

I'm not a Ray Tanner pacifist. However, I agree with Rogue Cock that Ray probably hasn't been making these decisions since Muschamp, and the email exchanges during the Beamer hire reinforce this position. If you're frustrated with what is happening now, you have to make changes from top to bottom. Not just target one individual who has otherwise been a great representative of the University.
Good post. The only thing I would play devil's advocate on is the BOT's perception of Ray's strength as an AD in terms of hiring. If they don't have faith in that aspect, remove Ray from that part of the job and bring in someone who can lead the search and be a trusted voice in decision making.....Although maybe they already have behind the scene. Guess it doesn't matter much now. The new positions are filled and Ray is closing in on retirement.

My high school buddy and Gregg's agent. I gave Kornblut his name to call during our last coaching search. I think he was a little irritated with me.
LOL. Yeah, I think anyone would be a bit irritated about someone giving Kornblut their name. Too funny. Kornblut probably never left him alone.

Ray is closing in on retirement.
This can’t happen soon enough! Does anyone know the exact date so I can add it to my calendar?
I have said it before, but I think the University should have parted ways with Tanner at the same time they parted ways with Muschamp.

Last edited:
This can’t happen soon enough! Does anyone know the exact date so I can add it to my calendar?
I have said it before, but I think the University should have parted ways with Tanner at the same time they parted ways with Muschamp.
Maybe we can chip in and buy him a year or two to speed up the process.

Maybe we can chip in and buy him a year or two to speed up the process.
No the University hired him and agreed to whatever stipulations so they foot the bill. It seems the mens programs keep getting held hostage like this!

I don’t make millions and millions of dollars to pay a millionaire (Tanner) more millions of dollars to go home and sit on his butt so we can then hire a legit A/D.

No the University hired him and agreed to whatever stipulations so they foot the bill. It seems the mens programs keep getting held hostage like this!

I don’t make millions and millions of dollars to pay a millionaire (Tanner) more millions of dollars to go home and sit on his butt so we can then hire a legit A/D.
You mean a legit AD like those at Florida, LSU and Mississippi State who hired coaches at a similar or lower level of success as ours? Be careful what you wish for......and no one will have the relationship with the large donors that Tanner has.

It aids success because it gives the programs the facilities they need to sell to recruits. You must not have a clue how far behind that we actually were in facilities when he took over.
The game has changed. Facilities use to be the only flashy thing you could legally flash in front of recruits. With NIL facilities are going to take a back seat.

The game has changed. Facilities use to be the only flashy thing you could legally flash in front of recruits. With NIL facilities are going to take a back seat.
The University or its athletic department or the booster club can NOT be involved in NIL agreements with players.

The University or its athletic department or the booster club can NOT be involved in NIL agreements with players.
I think you misunderstood my point. Kids are not going to care what the facilities will look like. They want to know how much money they can make. Facilities will not be a top priority.

Reactions: rogue cock
I think you misunderstood my point. Kids are not going to care what the facilities will look like. They want to know how much money they can make. Facilities will not be a top priority.
Perhaps.....I don't necessarily agree. But if you are right, fans better start giving a ton of money to NIL deals which don't have the same benefits as giving to the booster club.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT