ADVERTISEMENT

Serious idea for Colonial Life Arena refurbish

Looking back through the '70s, it's amazing how many blue chippers didn't give USC even a first glance because we were no longer in the ACC. Roche and Owens chose USC because we were in the ACC. Yes, we would have caused more issues for Tobacco Road, but the Big Four were inside their own bubble (still are).

I agree - we would have had sustained success in the ACC had we remained. McGuire would have retired circa 1979-1980, and handed the reins to Don Walsh, assuming that there was not the contentiousness between McGuire, Carlen, and the BOT.

I still think Dietzel made a huge mistake getting out of the ACC. McGuire wasn’t even considered and it was the beginning of the end of one of the best bb programs in the country

And this is a prefect example of why the Athletic Director should not also be the head coach of any one sport at a school. Conflict of interest, and possibly favouring his/her own program to the overall detriment of the athletic program at the school.

Here's our MBB avg attendance dating back to 2002. The Columbia SC market have proven over this time it can support a little over 11K in avg attendance.

Screenshot-2022-01-13-125624.jpg

The Carolina Coliseum was a little over 12K and put fans right on top of the action, so if I was running the place my first choice would be to refurbish the joint and make that the main basketball arena (I know this will never happen lol). For more important games with higher expected attendance, move the games to the CLA.

My second choice would be to outfit the CLA with a very nice and modern curtain system for the upper deck and close off the upper deck for most games. I wouldn't get the plain black curtains that you see in some arenas, but something bold and flashy like they do in Mercedes Benz for their soccer games.

qlfpppkceix26nxqunnt.jpg

Here's our MBB avg attendance dating back to 2002. The Columbia SC market have proven over this time it can support a little over 11K in avg attendance.

The Carolina Coliseum was a little over 12K and put fans right on top of the action, so if I was running the place my first choice would be to refurbish the joint and make that the main basketball arena (I know this will never happen lol). For more important games with higher expected attendance, move the games to the CLA.

My second choice would be to outfit the CLA with a very nice and modern curtain system for the upper deck and close off the upper deck for most games. I wouldn't get the plain black curtains that you see in some arenas, but something bold and flashy like they do in Mercedes Benz for their soccer games.

qlfpppkceix26nxqunnt.jpg
What about cupholders?

I thank you for starting this thread and posting the information. Some people don't want to really discuss the topic, when there is an opportunity to go below the line. I'm not one of them. I always go back to cupholders, but of course, there are way more important needs.

Columbia was a great 12,400-seat arena town when we had some outstanding teams. I don't think it would be a great 18,000-seat arena town even if we were in the Top 10. I'm talking game in and game out.

People will talk about attendance at women's games, but even that has declined some since they started charging something for tickets.

As for the men, SEC basketball doesn't create the kind of electricity that ACC basketball does and did. Most games you see on TV aren't raucous by any means.
The women sold over 10,000 season's tickets. They are cheaper but they don't give away tickets. General admission is $45 for women, $60 for men. I'm not sure what the cost for the men's season's tickets are, but mine were $80 each. Unless we play a really weak team the lower bowl is over 3/4 full with some areas of the upper deck also occupied. I have 4 tickets in the lower bowl and have for about 8 years. Attendance fluctuates some according to who we play, but even in a pandemic this year attendance has been great. If there was a 12,000 seat arena the women would sell it out quite often. I wish that were the case.

Reactions: king ward
And this is a prefect example of why the Athletic Director should not also be the head coach of any one sport at a school. Conflict of interest, and possibly favouring his/her own program to the overall detriment of the athletic program at the school.
You are right. Most schools no longer have an AD who is also a Head Coach at the same time.

The women sold over 10,000 season's tickets. They are cheaper but they don't give away tickets. General admission is $45 for women, $60 for men. I'm not sure what the cost for the men's season's tickets are, but mine were $80 each. Unless we play a really weak team the lower bowl is over 3/4 full with some areas of the upper deck also occupied. I have 4 tickets in the lower bowl and have for about 8 years. Attendance fluctuates some according to who we play, but even in a pandemic this year attendance has been great. If there was a 12,000 seat arena the women would sell it out quite often. I wish that were the case.
I should have expressed myself more clearly. I didn't mean to imply tat tickets were given away. I only meant to say that they were modestly price so as not to be sacrificially obtained. Of course, this was done to promote attendance.

qlfpppkceix26nxqunnt.jpg
Thanks for the chart and I think it proves that with the right coach generating interest and putting a better program on the floor, we can average 13-14K each year consistently.

Curtaining off seats is just not a good idea. I think it rarely works a a good long term solution and has a "we just gave up" message. I think a better approach is in my OP...spend some money to update the facility after 20 years that would include removing end upper deck seating from at least one side to create a modern up-to-date fan plaza and new entrance. This would reduce the regular seat numbers, provide modern amenities people are looking for and still give an area to add temp seating for high profile games or concerts or possible NCAA tourney. It solves all the issues. Well, except getting the new coach to put a better product on the court.

Thanks for the chart and I think it proves that with the right coach generating interest and putting a better program on the floor, we can average 13-14K each year consistently.

Curtaining off seats is just not a good idea. I think it rarely works a a good long term solution and has a "we just gave up" message. I think a better approach is in my OP...spend some money to update the facility after 20 years that would include removing end upper deck seating from at least one side to create a modern up-to-date fan plaza and new entrance. This would reduce the regular seat numbers, provide modern amenities people are looking for and still give an area to add temp seating for high profile games or concerts or possible NCAA tourney. It solves all the issues. Well, except getting the new coach to put a better product on the court.
It's not a bad idea, and regardless of what they do they have to modernize the arena, but those 3 sections you're talking about probably have about 700 seats tops. You'd still be talking about a market that can support an avg attendance of maybe 13K tops (even in a Final Four year) playing in a cavernous concert arena that would seat 17,300, leaving it still about 25% empty, on average. It doesn't create any sort of exciting atmosphere which doesn't create much of a home court advantage. I've been to CLA when it was a capacity and the place is loud and rocking, but I've been to it when the place is half empty and the atmosphere is no more exciting than a high school game. They've got to find a way for it to get a lot smaller and rowdier for our games while retaining the ability to flex it for huge concerts and shows.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Yes the CLA was built for multiple uses like concerts, basketball games, and other uses that require the seating we have now. If some of you people would get out of your chairs at home and go support the teams that would be a great idea. Quit being cheapskates.

It's not a bad idea, and regardless of what they do they have to modernize the arena, but those 3 sections you're talking about probably have about 700 seats tops. You'd still be talking about a market that can support an avg attendance of maybe 13K tops (even in a Final Four year) playing in a cavernous concert arena that would seat 17,300, leaving it still about 25% empty, on average. It doesn't create any sort of exciting atmosphere which doesn't create much of a home court advantage. I've been to CLA when it was a capacity and the place is loud and rocking, but I've been to it when the place is half empty and the atmosphere is no more exciting than a high school game. They've got to find a way for it to get a lot smaller and rowdier for our games while retaining the ability to flex it for huge concerts and shows.
I think it one whole upper deck end was removed as part of a remodel, it would reduce by more than 700 seats.

Also, I think its totally feasible to have an arena at around 15K seats. If with a better coach and program we can AVERAGE 13,000, you dont want an arena that tops out at your average. You need to be able to accommodate larger crowds for high profile games, tournaments.

Has Columbia with the assistance of UofSC ever applied to host the SEC women's basketball tournament?

I think it one whole upper deck end was removed as part of a remodel, it would reduce by more than 700 seats.

Also, I think its totally feasible to have an arena at around 15K seats. If with a better coach and program we can AVERAGE 13,000, you dont want an arena that tops out at your average. You need to be able to accommodate larger crowds for high profile games, tournaments.

Has Columbia with the assistance of UofSC ever applied to host the SEC women's basketball tournament?
I'm pretty sure we have hosted it?

Lots of good ideas. At the very least, we NEED to maintain what’s there. Broken or missing arm rests, completely worn-out seats. Missing paint. It’s seedy & embarrassing.

This ^^^^ is unacceptable. Pictures should be taken and sent to every BOT member.

I'm so tired of the argument that our arenas and facilities are the problems. There are programs in the NCAA tournament right now that play in high school-level gyms. We have one of the top college baseball stadiums in the country yet look at the program's status. Where are all those five-star recruits that our brand new state-of-the-art football facilities were supposed to get us?

Our program could win in the Coliseum if the university would commit to winning and not just collecting SEC checks.

City of Columbia does not have near the inventory of hotels compared to Greenville to host NCAA tournament games.

To me the chart says if we don’t make the final four we won’t be anywhere near 13,000.

The tough pill to swallow for our fan base is they just don’t care about basketball in November and for a good part of December. A lot of these home games against the Stony Brooks and SC States of the world are lucky to draw 5000.

Only in January and February do the attendance numbers start to boost.

I agree I’d rather see more money put into the fan experience than into fancy curtains to cut off the upper deck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT