ADVERTISEMENT

Serious idea for Colonial Life Arena refurbish

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
CLA turns 20 years old this year and there hasnt been a major facelift/renovation yet. I think the Carolina athletic department needs to make a major investment in both our basketball programs. Dawn obviously deserves it and when we can get rid of FM and start over with a new coaching staff, the mens team will for sure need it to attract new, higher rated recruits.

Lots of people complain that CLA is too large at 18,000 seats. Sports attendance has been declining for years even before COVID. Many arenas and stadiums around the country have completed projects to increase amenities while reducing seat numbers. Take a look at the link below of the new arena for the Sacramento Kings. Notice the interior photo where you can see the nice multi level lounge, club and fan gathering area in one end. I think this kind of project in one end of CLA makes a lot of sense. You would lose the upper deck seating on that end which would reduce seating capacity but thats partly the point. In that space, replace if with nice fan amenities....club areas, food and drink court type area, fan merchandise sales points, brew pub maybe and make it part of a nice expanded entry point into the arena.

See the link below where UT is even doing a similar project at Neyland Stadium....replacing end zone seat with fan amenity area.

CLA turns 20 years old this year and there hasnt been a major facelift/renovation yet. I think the Carolina athletic department needs to make a major investment in both our basketball programs. Dawn obviously deserves it and when we can get rid of FM and start over with a new coaching staff, the mens team will for sure need it to attract new, higher rated recruits.

Lots of people complain that CLA is too large at 18,000 seats. Sports attendance has been declining for years even before COVID. Many arenas and stadiums around the country have completed projects to increase amenities while reducing seat numbers. Take a look at the link below of the new arena for the Sacramento Kings. Notice the interior photo where you can see the nice multi level lounge, club and fan gathering area in one end. I think this kind of project in one end of CLA makes a lot of sense. You would lose the upper deck seating on that end which would reduce seating capacity but thats partly the point. In that space, replace if with nice fan amenities....club areas, food and drink court type area, fan merchandise sales points, brew pub maybe and make it part of a nice expanded entry point into the arena.

See the link below where UT is even doing a similar project at Neyland Stadium....replacing end zone seat with fan amenity area.

Neyland stadium is a dump. They need to increase each seat space from twelve inches for starters

Martin first, renovations at a later date.

Martin first, renovations at a later date.
yes, that needs to be the first renovation.

Then open up the upper deck end zones to the concourse and create a food/pub/standing area as mentioned. Several arenas pro and college have this already.

Student section(s) need to be behind the baskets on each end, and maybe a couple of rows down one side. Do away with the cheap bleachers they have now.

I'm certainly not opposed to it. But would reducing capacity hinder the ability to attract concerts? I only ask because that was half the reason CLA was constructed.

Such a remodel probably makes sense for the school from a financial perspective, but it feels kind of odd for me to suggest they replace a bunch of empty seats that I probably can afford with luxury boxes that I can't. The remodel wouldn't enhance my game experience any. If you are a restaurant that is losing customers because your food sucks, it doesn't seem to me like the answer is to make it a more "luxury" experience for the few customers that remain (although I recognize this seems to be strategy for stadiums and arenas all around the country). I think the solution to the problem of CLA "feeling too big" is to win more freaking ball games. Besides, does it feel too big for the women's games?

I'm certainly not opposed to it. But would reducing capacity hinder the ability to attract concerts? I only ask because that was half the reason CLA was constructed.
I was just thinking it could work really well without affecting concerts. Normally the upper sections behind the stage are closed anyway. So even if those seats are reduced, it wouldn’t effect the number of seats they typically sell for a concert.
I’m sure it’s happened but I can’t remember a concert at the CLA where they used the whole bowl

I was just thinking it could work really well without affecting concerts. Normally the upper sections behind the stage are closed anyway. So even if those seats are reduced, it wouldn’t effect the number of seats they typically sell for a concert.
I’m sure it’s happened but I can’t remember a concert at the CLA where they used the whole bowl
Good point.

Luxury box or se
Such a remodel probably makes sense for the school from a financial perspective, but it feels kind of odd for me to suggest they replace a bunch of empty seats that I probably can afford with luxury boxes that I can't. The remodel wouldn't enhance my game experience any. If you are a restaurant that is losing customers because your food sucks, it doesn't seem to me like the answer is to make it a more "luxury" experience for the few customers that remain (although I recognize this seems to be strategy for stadiums and arenas all around the country). I think the solution to the problem of CLA "feeling too big" is to win more freaking ball games. Besides, does it feel too big for the women's games?
I won't sit in a luxury box or seat until we have a new coach. I am not the only one that feels this way.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Well, they are doing an eye-popping $340 million renovation.
I thank you for starting this thread and posting the information. Some people don't want to really discuss the topic, when there is an opportunity to go below the line. I'm not one of them. I always go back to cupholders, but of course, there are way more important needs.

Columbia was a great 12,400-seat arena town when we had some outstanding teams. I don't think it would be a great 18,000-seat arena town even if we were in the Top 10. I'm talking game in and game out.

People will talk about attendance at women's games, but even that has declined some since they started charging something for tickets.

As for the men, SEC basketball doesn't create the kind of electricity that ACC basketball does and did. Most games you see on TV aren't raucous by any means.

If this was an arena built just for basketball this would make a lot of sense.

CLA didn’t attract top talent when it was built to now, and you think renovating it will bring them in. Not gonna happen. You want top talent at Carolina then you should hope they hire a coach who doesn’t care about doing it clean and will make stronger ass offers than the other coaches out there. The #1 thing people say about Frank is he can’t recruit. Well he doesn’t make offers at all so his recruiting will never be considered really good. He still did something that no other coach in program history has done…Carolina was in the FINAL FOUR!!! Hell of a job by a hell of a coach if you ask me.

CLA didn’t attract top talent when it was built to now, and you think renovating it will bring them in. Not gonna happen. You want top talent at Carolina then you should hope they hire a coach who doesn’t care about doing it clean and will make stronger ass offers than the other coaches out there. The #1 thing people say about Frank is he can’t recruit. Well he doesn’t make offers at all so his recruiting will never be considered really good. He still did something that no other coach in program history has done…Carolina was in the FINAL FOUR!!! Hell of a job by a hell of a coach if you ask me.
I thought he was much like Fogler was (and the reason Fogler probably recommended him) and didn't like to play the AAU game. IIRC that was one reason Fogler didn't like Marshall...reminded him too much of Billy Donovan.

Non-serious suggestion here. Lay flat seating for donors who want to get some Zs during men's games. 😁

Non-serious suggestion here. Lay flat seating for donors who want to get some Zs during men's games. 😁
How is it non-serious? There are many arenas and stadiums across the nation who have done similar projects.

I am not suggesting high dollar executive suites. The area could an interesting open area with glass to the outside with food and drink options, Gamecock merchandise, etc.

If this was an arena built just for basketball this would make a lot of sense.
I just wish they would use the arena for hockey. Would be awesome to get a hockey team back in the city, and even though it’s way more than ever needed it would provide a place for the USC club hockey team to play that has more than 100 seats like the Plex

Reactions: Neanderthal
Dawn doesn't have a problem filling the place up
Not sure you can say that. Dawn's program is amazing and the fan support is the nation's best. Still, they average a little over 12,000 per game in an 18,000 seat arena. Not really "filling the place up". I am guessing the project I am suggesting would reduce overall seating to around 15-16K. Still large enough for Dawn's successful program and a re-energized men's program and concerts.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrMickey
They're having a lot of fun at Auburn - but they also have a 10,000 seat arena - relatively new. Texas has the right idea. They are building a BRAND NEW arena with track seating - 10,000 for most basketball games, expandable to 15,000 for bigger games and other events. Their current place holds slightly more, but Texas is on the right track. As big as they are and and big as Austin is, they are combining versatility with reality.

How is it non-serious? There are many arenas and stadiums across the nation who have done similar projects.

I am not suggesting high dollar executive suites. The area could an interesting open area with glass to the outside with food and drink options, Gamecock merchandise, etc.
I was referring to my own suggestion, not yours.

Lots of good ideas. At the very least, we NEED to maintain what’s there. Broken or missing arm rests, completely worn-out seats. Missing paint. It’s seedy & embarrassing.

They can't sell the suites they have now. So yes, let's add a bunch more.
Two points.....

1. The men's program currently is in the crapper so any longer term investment planning on the men's side shouldnt be based so much on current status. The whole point to much of this work is working to elevate the program. For the women's program, well we all should be able to agree their success deserves investment.
2. In my post, I didnt suggest suites. In today's environment, there are tons of different types of premium seating as we saw in the latest improvements at WBS that come at a much lower price point. Also, these areas are great for fan entertainment......like i said in my post.....food and drink outlets, team store, tables, chairs, SRO for the event, maybe a brew pub, kinda party deck style. Not sure you checked out the link I posted of the arena in Sacramento, but what that this kind if area is....not suites.

They're having a lot of fun at Auburn - but they also have a 10,000 seat arena - relatively new. Texas has the right idea. They are building a BRAND NEW arena with track seating - 10,000 for most basketball games, expandable to 15,000 for bigger games and other events. Their current place holds slightly more, but Texas is on the right track. As big as they are and and big as Austin is, they are combining versatility with reality.
Thanks for pointing out Texas....I had no idea they are building a new arena. Its interesting but seems the waive of the future that maybe we need to embrace. Their new arena is constructed for 10,000 permanent seats with design to be able to accommodate an additional 5,000 temporary seats to increase capacity for large crowd events. Very smart.

You also see this in the NFL. The stadiums in both Tampa and Jacksonville were intentionally constructed with large fan entertainment areas above the end zone lower level seating and this provides space to add temporary seats to host Super Bowls and the GA/FL game in Jacksonville.

I think I am suggesting the CLA basketball version of this.

Can also say this about Texas....they are stepping up big time in the $ department. At the same time working on a $130 million new arena and completing a $125 million upgrade to their football stadium.

Reactions: king ward
Two points.....

1. The men's program currently is in the crapper so any longer term investment planning on the men's side shouldnt be based so much on current status. The whole point to much of this work is working to elevate the program. For the women's program, well we all should be able to agree their success deserves investment.
2. In my post, I didnt suggest suites. In today's environment, there are tons of different types of premium seating as we saw in the latest improvements at WBS that come at a much lower price point. Also, these areas are great for fan entertainment......like i said in my post.....food and drink outlets, team store, tables, chairs, SRO for the event, maybe a brew pub, kinda party deck style. Not sure you checked out the link I posted of the arena in Sacramento, but what that this kind if area is....not suites.
Good ideas. Sounds similar to what Ohio State did with the Schottenstein Center. At the time both the CLA and the Schottenstein were built the trend seemed to be to larger multi-purpose arenas. The Schottenstein Center is very nice and also has a luxury club (Huntington Club) for a nice meal and drink.

I live in Greenville and after FRANK MARTIN'S FIRST year have not been to a mens basketball game in Columbia.

I do on occasion attend some of the WBB games. When I do go I am not interested in having a gourmet meal, a glass of wine
or a cheese plate before or during the game while overlooking the basketball court.

I simple want to watch the women play well. After the game we may have a nice juicy burger or whatever in downtown and then get on the dip sh-t two lane interstate back to Greenville.

I don't give a damm what the Sacramento Kings are doing. Are we in the NBA? All these "improvements" are not needed and most of you would find something to complain about later.

This is a basketball arena, not a Ruth Chris. We all should be happy with what we have!!

I live in Greenville and after FRANK MARTIN'S FIRST year have not been to a mens basketball game in Columbia.

I do on occasion attend some of the WBB games. When I do go I am not interested in having a gourmet meal, a glass of wine
or a cheese plate before or during the game while overlooking the basketball court.

I simple want to watch the women play well. After the game we may have a nice juicy burger or whatever in downtown and then get on the dip sh-t two lane interstate back to Greenville.

I don't give a damm what the Sacramento Kings are doing. Are we in the NBA? All these "improvements" are not needed and most of you would find something to complain about later.

This is a basketball arena, not a Ruth Chris. We all should be happy with what we have!!
Kansas even redid Phog Allen Fieldhouse some years ago, and things were a lot closer to perfect there than they are here.

We need a dedicated basketball practice facility for both basketball teams. The Coliseum was done on the cheap and hurts MBB recruiting.
My memory is a little fuzzy, but didn’t the university build a dedicated practice facility (not reconfigure the old coliseum) years ago? Maybe around the same time CLA was built? If I’m right, what happened to it?

#FindSomeJoy

Reactions: tvincentusc
My memory is a little fuzzy, but didn’t the university build a dedicated practice facility (not reconfigure the old coliseum) years ago? Maybe around the same time CLA was built? If I’m right, what happened to it?
No. Mens and women's basketball continue to practice in the old Carolina Coliseum. There is a volleyball facility next door to the old coliseum. Maybe that is what you are thinking of?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT