ADVERTISEMENT

First on campus interview...

That's according to TBS also. Not a bad resume but if we're going to hire a non power 5 coach, I'd rather have lovelady from ucf

Who? Can we not do better than this? Feels like we are going settle.
I do agree and understand about it feeling like we're settling. I just can't imagine any coach who took his team to the CWS recently pulling up stakes and coming to Columbia. He's enjoying where he is, and the Columbia pressure cooker isn't worth the extra take-home pay, IMO.

Ray will hire the best of who's available and interested. I don't see it being a top coach whose name gets tossed around here a lot, because I don't think they are interested.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
My guess is that we'll end up with someone like a Kingston (if not Kingston himself). And that's not settling; that's what's interested and available.
I said rather, not settle. Kingston wouldn't be my first choice but I'm not the one making that call. If Tanner makes that decision then I doubt he feels like he's settling

Last edited:
Reactions: atl-cock
THIS! The only sports program we're a blue blood in. We shouldn't settle for 2nd tier.

This ain't football. Please identify a couple of 1st tier baseball coaches who have left a program that they had taken to/near the top for a "blue blood" job.

In 9 years at NC State, Ray never won the ACC. Ray never took NC State beyond a regional. Was Ray "2nd tier?

This ain't football. Please identify a couple of 1st tier baseball coaches who have left a program that they had taken to/near the top for a "blue blood" job.

In 9 years at NC State, Ray never won the ACC. Ray never took NC State beyond a regional. Was Ray "2nd tier?

Gurrido left Fullerton for Texas.

Honestly, we waited too long on Chad and missed Monte. Now that that ship has sailed, it's time for a big hire.

Are you saying anyone with a past DUI is a drunk? Or did he have more than one?
I'm pretty sure he also had one while coaching at Fullerton. There was also a video of him being very abusive to his players.

Reactions: jbouton
I'm pretty sure he also had one while coaching at Fullerton. There was also a video of him being very abusive to his players.
I was going to be less direct, but Augie's personal issues most likely played a role in his move to Austin.

Then there's George Horton who Oregon hired to restart their baseball program.

The bottom line should be that we want Ray to hire a coach who will get the job done (should make the post season every year, the supers most every year, and a not infrequent visitor to Omaha), regardless if the coach is a blueblood or not.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
Holbrook was the right hire at the time. Several seasons proved he couldn't cut it. So if I was Ray - I'd try my hardest to get the most proven winner possible he already has a strike against him.

Just saying ... not defending, not justifying, not offering excuses ... just saying that it's interesting that 3 SEC teams made the college world series, two are still in it. Vandy, a 4th SEC team, won the CWS just a couple of years ago. And I'm pretty sure that LSU won the CWS the year before we started our 3 year run. WOW ... that's pretty darn tough competition year-after-year in one conference. LOL and the funny part is that we beat each of those teams this year.

Nobody seems to stand out, right now, as the most logical or best choice to replace Chad. Sometimes officials get criticized for blowing the whistle too quick. Many got what they wished for. Hope those posters didn't blow the whistle too quickly.

O'Sullivan and Corbin were not big names when they got the UF and Vandy jobs,,not even head coaches,,, I don't want the big name coach,,, I want the guy who is a good "in game" coach,,to me that is Chris Lemonis at Indiana,,if he can turn them into a winning program just think what he can do at Carolina,,and Mark Kingston's USF team did take 2 out of 3 from both UF and FSU this year,, but I trust Ray and his knowledge of baseball for whoever he hires

Reactions: rogue cock
Here it is, my prediction, Mark Kingston is our next baseball coach. And we could do a lot worse, and all things considered, not much better.
So its ok Ray, go ahead and announce.

O'Sullivan and Corbin were not big names when they got the UF and Vandy jobs,,not even head coaches,,, I don't want the big name coach,,, I want the guy who is a good "in game" coach,,to me that is Chris Lemonis at Indiana,,if he can turn them into a winning program just think what he can do at Carolina,,and Mark Kingston's USF team did take 2 out of 3 from both UF and FSU this year,, but I trust Ray and his knowledge of baseball for whoever he hires
Neither were Sparky Woods or Steve Newton big names before they accepted Carolina head coaching jobs. Now they're even more forgettable.

Not much better?

I did say ALL things considered-salary included. He seems to be doing pretty good with less. Unless you are willing to spend 5 minutes researching this like I did, you are not qualified to judge my opinion...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT