ADVERTISEMENT

For Those on Here that Crap on Columbia 24/7...

GarnetCocky1

Oct 3, 2015
https://www.thestate.com/news/local/article214423524.html

COLUMBIA, SC

The word is out about Columbia's Main Street.

It's cool (if not a liiiiiittle hot). It's artistic. It's tasty. And it's ... cute, according to Fodor's Travel Guide.

Fodor's, a longstanding look-to for global travel and tourism information, listed Columbia's Main Street among its "America's 25 Cutest Main Streets in Small(er) Towns."

"Don your little black dress and head out for the evening on Columbia’s buzzing Main Street. Say what?" Fodor's writes. "Yes, indeed, locals are quick to tell you that just five years ago it wasn’t like that. For years this neighborhood wallowed in despondency, until one by one, the businesses started coming, so now there’s something going on both night and day."

The guide highlights Soda City Market, Mast General Store, the Nickelodeon theater, Indie Grits film festival, the Columbia Museum of Art, The Grand boutique bowling alley, Lula Drake Wine Parlour, and restaurants Bourbon, Good Life Cafe and the now-closed Oak Table (RIP).

Main Street has experienced several years of striking revitalization, sparked in large part by Soda City, Mast General Store, the Nick and The Hub — a tower of more than 800 apartments rented to college students, who have brought their energy to the once-lethargic downtown — all of which are new additions since 2011.

The heart of downtown Columbia has gone from being a 9-to-5 business center only a decade ago to a nearly 24/7 destination, with lively sidewalks, regular festivals, public art and a still-growing array of restaurants and stores.

Columbia is in the company of places such as Walla Walla, Wash.;, Rockland, Maine; Sylva, N.C.; Albuquerque, N.M.; and Augusta, Ga., (hi, neighbor!) on Fodor's list.

"Cutest" Main Street is the latest in a string of recent national nods to Columbia's downtown, including highlights by Thrillist ("Cities You Should Visit Before They're Too Popular"), Garden & Gun and Food and Wine ("One of America's Best New Food Destinations") magazines

City of Columbia has changed quite a bit the last 10-15 years. Still some rough areas as there are in any city but overall it’s a nice place. The campus is a totally different campus for the most part than 15 years ago. While people even knock the fine dining in columbia, I’d say it has as good of food for a casual meal in the state.

Reactions: rogue cock
I went to soda city market Saturday morning and it was more packed than I’ve ever seen it. Might need to add another block soon
We were out there too. It helped that it wasn't 400 degrees at 9 am. The cool weather this weekend was welcome. I first visited Soda City Market after moving back in 2016. I love it, and love the overall changes to the Main Street corridor. It wasn't that long ago that one didn't feel safe walking down Main during the middle of the day, much less in the evening/at night.

Last edited:
We are staying at this place in Quebec City thats on a lake. They cater to wellness and its a good bargain that offers a ton of free services. For instance, a yoga class my wife took yesterday morning.
Point being, it seems we are starting to accentuate the areas, but along the rivers and with Lake Murray we should have more.
There is still no place like home and a part of me can’t wait to be back in Columbia.

I went to soda city market Saturday morning and it was more packed than I’ve ever seen it. Might need to add another block soon

I was there Saturday too and yes, it was packed. They already extended it a block since I was last there six months ago. I can't say enough good things about everything this city has to offer.

Some stuff by the river will be nice but it ain't like the whole corridor needs to be developed -- I walked the three mile stretch of Riverfront Park yesterday and that's a true gem of the city. Soon you'll be able to walk from downtown all the way out past the zoo when the Saluda River Greenway is completed -- that's gonna be awesome

People that watch Live PD or take a drive through some busted up suburb and say "zomg Columbia is so unsafe" are the same tools that say "I'd never go to Chicago, you see all the people shot there?" thinking going to the Art Institute or Sears Tower is the same thing as hanging out deep on the Southside

Every city has its thug side. Can't be judged on that. It's up to city leaders to not let thug nation bleed into parts of the city.

Some stuff by the river will be nice but it ain't like the whole corridor needs to be developed -- I walked the three mile stretch of Riverfront Park yesterday and that's a true gem of the city. Soon you'll be able to walk from downtown all the way out past the zoo when the Saluda River Greenway is completed -- that's gonna be awesome
I used to walk Columbia Riverfront Park regularly after work, but darnit, it's been HOT of late!

Reactions: Gaimcock
I used to walk Columbia Riverfront Park regularly after work, but darnit, it's been HOT of late!
I am a native of this climate so that doesn't deter me :D Shorts, tshirt, hat, shades, water, ready to roll. It was very nice this weekend though obviously

Reactions: Cybercock
Get rid of the homeless shelters downtown in the middle of the business district and it would be far more appealing. The only other thing that is really wrong with Columbia is the crappy corrupt government. That needs to go along with the crooked mayor.

And this is why the university out performs them and makes much more sound real estate and planning decisions and owns over half the city

Get rid of the homeless shelters downtown in the middle of the business district and it would be far more appealing.
Homeless people live in city centers. It's like that everywhere I've been in the US and worldwide. I don't like getting hit up for change either but have a little compassion; they're people too and they're gonna end up somewhere. You can't stick people with no transportation in suburbs. Or you can but they'll come back. Gotta live and let live to a certain extent man

I am a native of this climate so that doesn't deter me :D Shorts, tshirt, hat, shades, water, ready to roll. It was very nice this weekend though obviously
I am too, but ever since I passed out from the heat at the 1993 SEC East Baseball Tournament at The Sarge, I have to be careful. Unfortunately, Little Man has to be careful too.

I am too, but ever since I passed out from the heat at the 1993 SEC East Baseball Tournament at The Sarge, I have to be careful. Unfortunately, Little Man has to be careful too.
Gotcha, that happened to my dad too. He made an honest living in the SC sun and didn't sit in an AC office like me all day though

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
It was great in the 1950s and 1960s, but shopping malls and suburban discount stores killed it. I applaud the revival.
Shopping mall(s) huh?? I give you two great examples of failures: Eastland Mall in Charlotte, and Dutch Square in Cola. While Dutch Square is still there, does anyone here actually shop there??? Not I!!

Just sayin.

Later.

Shorts and flip-flops pretty much identify me!! =;-p

Reactions: Lakecock1
Shopping mall(s) huh?? I give you two great examples of failures: Eastland Mall in Charlotte, and Dutch Square in Cola. While Dutch Square is still there, does anyone here actually shop there??? Not I!!

Just sayin.

Later.
Right, in the 50s-60s it was Main Street, 70s-80s Dutch Square/St. Andrews, 90s-00s Columbiana/Harbison...you are breaking some major ground here

Just sayin.

Later.
Dutch Square and Columbia Mall were THE malls in the 80s. Growing up in St. Andrews, I spent more time than I care to admit at Dutch Square, mainly in Barrel of Fun. I saw Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back at the old Dutch Square theater. Saw Return of the Jedi at the old Bush River Theater.

Homeless people live in city centers. It's like that everywhere I've been in the US and worldwide. I don't like getting hit up for change either but have a little compassion; they're people too and they're gonna end up somewhere. You can't stick people with no transportation in suburbs. Or you can but they'll come back. Gotta live and let live to a certain extent man

San Diego, more than I have seen. Arizona got caught buying them bus tickets and giving them $20.

San Diego, more than I have seen. Arizona got caught buying them bus tickets and giving them $20.
Denver, San Francisco, Seattle...I didn't bring those up though bc the first thing people will say is "there you go, you are talking about that liberal west coast!!!"

I am from small town SC. In middle school we went on a field trip to Philadelphia and that was the first time I ever saw a homeless person. A dude came up and asked if he could have the rest of our fast food meals. We asked our teacher about it and she was like "ok, so some people don't have homes..." It was mind blowing.

I love my city, and my university a little bit more

Columbia was a great place to live and start a family for us back in the early 80's right after college. Lots of stuff to do and 5 Points was pretty happening back then and not scary. Lake Murray and Gamecock sports all weekend.

Perhaps you should take a trip to Greenville to see how a REAL city operates. You don't see homeless shelters downtown or homeless vagrants walking the streets panhandling for money and accosting people.

These vagrants totally destroy a city. I work right in the middle of it. Have you ever had to be careful walking up your steps to work so that you don't step in human shit? They trash the streets and parking lots with tons of litter thrown everywhere with everything from malt liquor cans, to fast food trash, to used condoms. I even caught one of these derelicts on our porch one weekend sitting up against the wall jacking off? Are these the people you think we should just let roam our streets and do whatever they want? Is this what we should have to put up with to "have a little compassion"? This is the reason Columbia is so far behind and why it is difficult to have good development downtown. Why don't they relocate these shelters out of the main business district? Perhaps in a more industrial area along I-20 in north Columbia, or off I-77 in the area of Bluff/Shop Rds? You can have compassion and provide these services without being STUPID about it. Right now our leaders are just STUPID.

Reactions: taxcock
Perhaps you should take a trip to Greenville to see how a REAL city operates. You don't see homeless shelters downtown or homeless vagrants walking the streets panhandling for money and accosting people.

These vagrants totally destroy a city. I work right in the middle of it. Have you ever had to be careful walking up your steps to work so that you don't step in human shit? They trash the streets and parking lots with tons of litter thrown everywhere with everything from malt liquor cans, to fast food trash, to used condoms. I even caught one of these derelicts on our porch one weekend sitting up against the wall jacking off? Are these the people you think we should just let roam our streets and do whatever they want? Is this what we should have to put up with to "have a little compassion"? This is the reason Columbia is so far behind and why it is difficult to have good development downtown. Why don't they relocate these shelters out of the main business district? Perhaps in a more industrial area along I-20 in north Columbia, or off I-77 in the area of Bluff/Shop Rds? You can have compassion and provide these services without being STUPID about it. Right now our leaders are just STUPID.
I just googled "homeless shelter in Greenville" and there's multiple in downtown Greenville: https://www.sciway.net/org/greenville-sc-homeless.html

I think you are sort of talking out of your butt. There is a reason these places are always located in city centers; that's where homeless people end up. Homeless also tend to end up in capital cities, which is where state resources are gonna be located. There's also no acknowledgement of different demographic factors between Greenville and Columbia. You're trying to railroad in an idealistic solution to suit yourself instead of paying attention to reality

I work right across the street from Transitions, 2 blocks from Oliver Gospel Mission, and have had no such experiences which you describe. I walk Main Street regularly during lunch, and have no problems either.

FTR...I've seen many homeless people walking around downtown Greenville, when we are there for the game at Fluor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT